Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP-Server - constant harassment?

HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

I do ask myself this question, if PvP-Server means that you will have to face constant harassment. Such as corpse-camping, getting ganked (all sort of incl x larger number vs a single person) and insulted, like catching a kick when already laying on the ground.

Has this always been daily routine? Since the first day?

To tell you a little bit of me: I play MMOs since DAoC but I was too young back there and had less time to spent infront of my pc to get something serious done. 'Played Anarchy Online even abit more intsense like DAoC. And then WoW was announced and I first encountered what it ment "to be suck into an mmo world".

So I must say that I even enjoyed Wow's PvP (I played only in vanilla, quit with BC release)  - I ran around solo mostly, as a rogue ofc and had only idols (from warcraftmovies.com) that presented their actions skillful, not blunt and ganked around 24/7. Facin mutiple opponents was my goal and I never had any probs when I got facerolled by multiple opp's

- And yes, I never played on a PvE Server. Simply because I had the feeling to have less freedom in my actions. Chaotic or not -

At this point  I first thought to myself: Am I getting too serious (I got 20+ by my age when AoC was released) and took everything before just for fun? Or was my last memento (AoC) just abit "too real" due to it's grafic style and general behaviour, even of the NPCs?

What do you think: Is this what's it all about on PvP Servers? Or will there be a difference in the near future?

Comments

• BelightBelight Member Posts: 73

It really just depends on the game design. Typically the problem with PVP servers in thempark games is that there usually is not an alignment system to keep PVP in check.

PVP can be very fullfilling even for casuals, crafters, and PVEers if it is properly regulated through risk vs. reward. The game needs to protects players from grief while still allowing the threat of PVP. It's a fine line.

• yevgeniiyevgenii Member Posts: 34

I don't understand why people haev such trouble with the PVP concept. If you are willing to play on a PVP server, that means you are by proxy accepting the fact that griefing may be an everyday occurence. But playing on a PVP server means you should be ready to whip out some consumables in case you attract attention while questing, or be in your pvp gear/build, and have situational awareness. If you are not willing to do these things, PVP servers aren't for you. Also, people will be mean. Its fun to gank people when they're questing (admit it) and its okay, because its a game and you aren't harming them and this is why you pay your 15 a month.

I PVP a lot. I also gank. I gank a lot. I'll camp someone lower level than me, sometimes for hours (literally) and run through a town full of guards just to kill them one more time, even if it means I'll die to the guards. I'll call up a buddy to come and hunt him down again, and will do this to anyone, no matter what level. I'll take them out when they're fighting mobs, afk, whatever. I pay money to be able to do this, and I play on PVP servers to do this. If you aren't willing to deal with people like me, then maybe the ruleset isn't for you. No change is needed - to me, red=dead and this will never change.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by yevgenii

I don't understand why people haev such trouble with the PVP concept. If you are willing to play on a PVP server, that means you are by proxy accepting the fact that griefing may be an everyday occurence. But playing on a PVP server means you should be ready to whip out some consumables in case you attract attention while questing, or be in your pvp gear/build, and have situational awareness. If you are not willing to do these things, PVP servers aren't for you. Also, people will be mean. Its fun to gank people when they're questing (admit it) and its okay, because its a game and you aren't harming them and this is why you pay your 15 a month.

I PVP a lot. I also gank. I gank a lot. I'll camp someone lower level than me, sometimes for hours (literally) and run through a town full of guards just to kill them one more time, even if it means I'll die to the guards. I'll call up a buddy to come and hunt him down again, and will do this to anyone, no matter what level. I'll take them out when they're fighting mobs, afk, whatever. I pay money to be able to do this, and I play on PVP servers to do this. If you aren't willing to deal with people like me, then maybe the ruleset isn't for you. No change is needed - to me, red=dead and this will never change.

Rolling on a PvP server doesn't give you a license to be a douchebag.  The main problem with PvP servers these days is that players use the ruleset to excuse their pathetic behavior.

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

I agree and prefer PvP combat to be somewhat honorable.  That doesn't mean that you can't be ruthless, just show a litttle respect.

The only time I played a PvP server ever was EQ1.  Interestingly, my goal was survival, not to PvP in the traditional sense.  Obviously I would be engaged, but I would also hide and grind as much as I could.

Finally the day came that when ambushed, I didn't run and slew the attacker.  He sent me a respectful tell (having killed me too many times to count); "you have arrived".

Now that's what I'm talking about.  Be ruthless, be relentless, but be respectful.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

First, I would like to say that I do not normally play on PvP servers by choice. That is not to say that I do not PvP nor that I do not play any PvP only games. However, the way that PvP is normally instituted in most MMO's makes me far less likely to play on them. I played Darkfall for a while and like the game but hated the fact that there was little point to PvP other then just the bragging rights. PvP the way implemented does not give PvP'ers much choice either. You go looking for someone to fight and many times it turns into a one-sided affair one way or the other. Without true goals for PvP there really isn't much point. So, unless I am playing a FPS shooter, I will not go PvPcompelled to complete some goal.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

For someone who PvPs so much i would think you would realiz ethere are different rulesets for different games. Not every game is Faction vs Faction. There is no "red" in thos egames.There are plenty of games where everyone is essentially on the same side, not split between factions, and in these cases nobody is "red" unless maybe theyre from a guild your guild is at war with if the game has such a system. You can play on a PvP server but there are certain rules applied, such as murderer status and stuff.

So do you just go about freely attacking every single person you see in every MMO with a PvP server then since youre able to? Or do you simply attack nobody at all, since none of them are "red"?

BTW, ganking people while fighting mobs isnt PvP, thats PvPvE. Its not just you doing the killing, and im guessing that in your case most of the time it happens because you couldnt win without the help of those mobs.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Rolling on a PvP server doesn't give you a license to be a douchebag.  The main problem with PvP servers these days is that players use the ruleset to excuse their pathetic behavior.

I'm not being a douchebag. I'm playing by the rules. Again, if you don't like the rules, PVP in battlegrounds and play on a PVE server. Is that really that hard? It's like accepting the EULA of a game and then complaining about the rules - you click accept, you accept the rules and consequences. There's no if ands or buts about it, it is what it is.

Originally posted by Gruug

First, I would like to say that I do not normally play on PvP servers by choice. That is not to say that I do not PvP nor that I do not play any PvP only games. However, the way that PvP is normally instituted in most MMO's makes me far less likely to play on them. I played Darkfall for a while and like the game but hated the fact that there was little point to PvP other then just the bragging rights. PvP the way implemented does not give PvP'ers much choice either. You go looking for someone to fight and many times it turns into a one-sided affair one way or the other. Without true goals for PvP there really isn't much point. So, unless I am playing a FPS shooter, I will not go PvPcompelled to complete some goal.

FPS games are actually the way i look at most PvP servers.

Would you go into an FPS and start whining when someone shoots you? Of course not, you go in expecting to be shot at.

yet people will throw rage fits about getting killed on PvP servers

Its one of the things i miss about playing FPS games with my old clan. On FPS people are there to fight, not run and hide in safe zones and crap like most people do in MMOs when they dont have a zerg on their side.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

For someone who PvPs so much i would think you would realiz ethere are different rulesets for different games. Not every game is Faction vs Faction. There is no "red" in thos egames.There are plenty of games where everyone is essentially on the same side, not split between factions, and in these cases nobody is "red" unless maybe theyre from a guild your guild is at war with if the game has such a system. You can play on a PvP server but there are certain rules applied, such as murderer status and stuff.

So do you just go about freely attacking every single person you see in every MMO with a PvP server then since youre able to? Or do you simply attack nobody at all, since none of them are "red"?

BTW, ganking people while fighting mobs isnt PvP, thats PvPvE. Its not just you doing the killing, and im guessing that in your case most of the time it happens because you couldnt win without the help of those mobs.

I think the OP was talking about games that DO have two factions, and it is possible to get ganked in open world. And yes I go about attacking every person I can, why not? Who is to tell me how to play when I pay for it?

And I have no problem PVPing without assistance. I played with a Grand Marshal group back in Vanilla WoW and went from lvl 1- nearly 2k arena rating in less than 2 months when i got back into it in WOTLK. And that was late in the season, when most people had their PVP gear already. I don't gank because I can't win fights without the odds stacked in my favor. Its just so satisfying completely smashing someone with them not having even the slightest chance of surviving. Is that wrong? Well, maybe so, but its fun for me and if I play on a PVP server I'll do it. If you don't like that play PVE :)

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

In a game where PvP takes place in areas where PvE also takes place, yes corpse camping, ganking, and general harassment has always existed.

I think the best way around this is to do what DAOC did, make a large zone or collection of zones that are designed specifically where PvP will take place, and limit the amount of cross-faction communication down to emotes. This way it's consensual, you don't have to worry about PvE interference, spawn points are relatively safe from campers, and verbal harassment is gone, short of I guess watching a character tea-bag your corpse.

That's just my take on it anyways, I know there are people who prefer open-world pvp like in Lineage 2, or WoW before the BG's.

I'm not being a douchebag. I'm playing by the rules. Again, if you don't like the rules, PVP in battlegrounds and play on a PVE server. Is that really that hard? It's like accepting the EULA of a game and then complaining about the rules - you click accept, you accept the rules and consequences. There's no if ands or buts about it, it is what it is.

Actually some things you mention, like camping someone for hours, are against the rules in pretty much every MMO. Its called griefing.

I think the OP was talking about games that DO have two factions, and it is possible to get ganked in open world. And yes I go about attacking every person I can, why not? Who is to tell me how to play when I pay for it?

And I have no problem PVPing without assistance. I played with a Grand Marshal group back in Vanilla WoW and went from lvl 1- nearly 2k arena rating in less than 2 months when i got back into it in WOTLK. And that was late in the season, when most people had their PVP gear already. I don't gank because I can't win fights without the odds stacked in my favor. Its just so satisfying completely smashing someone with them not having even the slightest chance of surviving. Is that wrong? Well, maybe so, but its fun for me and if I play on a PVP server I'll do it. If you don't like that play PVE :)

I prefer the PvP servers so i can watch the gankers and griefers go into rage fits to the point of doing things like logging out and creating new characters on my side just to nerdrage at me in chat when they get their asses handed to them on a constant basis when theyre not fighting people half their level or with 3x the numbers on their side.

Making people who think theyre good at PvP ragequit is whats fun to me. :-) Been making people ragequit on FPS & MMOs for years.

Anyway, dont worry. im just giving you a hard time. I have my moments of going around ganking and stuff just for the hell of it because i know theyll usually call for help and get someone out there worth fighting. But if nobody shows up, ill keep it up for a long time until i get bored or they get enough people to stop me consistently. Even then I usually go back in repeatedly to take some of them down and wear down their numbers. Always had fun in games like WAR going just my bro and I vs entire Warbands of people and picking off the stragglers and overextenders effectively cutting their numbers in half before taking out the main force. Being outnumbered is usually the most fun PvP I have. Easy mode PvP bores the crap out of me.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

PVE Theme Park MMOs do not have PVP servers, because these games do not have world PVP. They have gank servers. I played WoW on a PVE server, but now I play Rift on a PVP server. On the 2nd busiest PVP shard in the game, there's no world PVP.  Lvl 50s taking turns killing 20s in leveling zones.  I have no desire to do this at end game. I want zones on fire with PVP battles fighting for control. 

My intnet was to see what it is like, To "spice up my game". It did no such thing. All it did was make leveling harder. I thought I could learn to PVP better by having it forced on me while leveling. Alas, no amount of skill will help when getting 2 shotted by someone 2x your level. 

All my PVP experience has come out of the instanced PVP...Same as what's available on a PVE server. Unless I wish to gank (& I do not) I see absolutely no reason to ever roll on a PVP server again.

• UgerothUgeroth Member UncommonPosts: 14

Except that you are being a douchebag. It's like if I'm playing a pickup basketball game at the Y, and I decide to stick my foot under someone when they jump to intentionally cause them injury to an ankle - Yeah, it's my right to position myself how I want, and he accepts the possibility of getting injured while playing, but it's still a dick move.

The actions you described are those of a douche having a good time. By all means, play how you enjoy, I'm not saying you're wrong for that, but don't pretend like you're still a super cool guy for doing so.

On to the topic at hand, although I love PvP rulesets, I tend to stay away from PvP servers these days because I find the general quality of people (not skills, personality) is very low. Usually these days I find myself on RP servers, wishing I had world PvP, but accepting that I don't.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I think the "idea" of a PvP server, but I dont' think people, as a whole, are capable of taking advantage its positives without exploiting its negatives.   

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

What if the pvp server rules by the devs say that certain pvp actions are griefing?  Would you think NOT BE OK with the rules?

Personally, I think that psychologists should examine some game players to make sure they are not harmful to the public.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• UgerothUgeroth Member UncommonPosts: 14

I think the "idea" of a PvP server, but I dont' think people, as a whole, are capable of taking advantage its positives without exploiting its negatives.   

I think it depends on how the game implements the PvP servers, but in most themepark Faction based games these days, I completely agree with you. Sadly, your statement applies to a wide variety of things, game related and not :/

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

I love PVP, I usually join PVP servers because that is where you find the guilds that will make premades for  warfronts/BG's  and I have found that on PVE servers its very hard to get premades to do these type of events.

But, of all the games ive played, ALL of the PVP servers were the same.  High levels killing low levels who are just trying to do quest and level up. And for some reason, OVER 90% are all rogues because most people who go on a PVP server know that they plan to STEALTH over to their low~B victim and kill them.  guess this is because they are worried if they could be seen their victim might run away, like that could happen, since higher levels usually have faster mounts etc, and can kill in 1 or 2 blows.  And i play rogues also, but ive never ganked anyone less than 10 levels than myself, i find more gratification seeing the low level person surprised that i actually will help them than kill them when they couldnt hurt me if they wanted to.

Warhammer was the most fun IMHO.  ( sorry i never played DAOC so cant comment on how good it was but heard it was better than WH )  ... what i liked was, you had areas you can do quest and know you wasnt going to get killed by a high level "ROGUE" and public quest where you could find some pvp action, and PVP zones where you could find PVP action.  You had everything on the same server .. PVE & PVP.  TO me thats what a good PVP server is, not one that is full PVP so u know at low levels leveling is going to be hard because of the high level "ROGUES" ganking you.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by Ugeroth

Except that you are being a douchebag. It's like if I'm playing a pickup basketball game at the Y, and I decide to stick my foot under someone when they jump to intentionally cause them injury to an ankle - Yeah, it's my right to position myself how I want, and he accepts the possibility of getting injured while playing, but it's still a dick move.

The actions you described are those of a douche having a good time. By all means, play how you enjoy, I'm not saying you're wrong for that, but don't pretend like you're still a super cool guy for doing so.

On to the topic at hand, although I love PvP rulesets, I tend to stay away from PvP servers these days because I find the general quality of people (not skills, personality) is very low. Usually these days I find myself on RP servers, wishing I had world PvP, but accepting that I don't.

Pretty much what i was going to say so..guess i dont have to now:)

And people wonder why PVP gets a bad name? Just read this "persons" first response and they have their answer. People like this, not out for a challenge,  just there to ruin other peoples fun.

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

There's always the "because I can" crowd, and in many walks of life outside gaming too.

I also long for a RP/PvP hybrid that featured chivlarous combat. A pipedream I know, but one can hope. :)

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I couldn't agree more.  The type of person that engages in the most disgusting forms of griefing such as lowbie ganking and camping and and harassment is the type of douchebag that gives PVPers a bad name.  Not only is this NOT playing by the rules, but almost every MMO has rules specifically against that sort of behavior.  I think if people that did that crap got banned more often we would see some of this most abusive behavior diminish.

Still, if you choose a PVP server, you have to be aware that there will be scumbags that will do this just because they can.  That is why when I start a new MMO I usually roll on a PVE server until I know the game mechanics.  After that it is my mission to find jerks like that and punish them.  I never gank lowbies or camp people, however I DO hand out some serious justice to the jerks that camp low level towns ganking people half their level.  Just a couple of days ago on WoW a couple of 85s were ganking lowbies in Lakeshire and my low level alt happened to be one of their victims.  I then logged onto my 85 and hid until they returned to their ganking.  I then killed them both repeatedly until they gave up and then went back to questing on my alt.  Ah, that was one of the most satisfying beatdowns I ever handed out.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

not impressed at all, in fact not even that special, anyone and their grandmother can kill lower levels,

why don't you come to eve online, see how you would survive, (even against some people that would play less time than you)

if you are willing to pay 15$/month to kill low levels and people who are afk.... a fool and his money are soon parted. 

ill bet that you would not aproach a lvl 80 while you where lvl 20... thus your if its red its dead is not really that is it... no you will only take candy from a baby. special are we?

ill stick with my alliance wars where we actualyl dispute over territory, stations, ressources, do blockades on enemy trade routes, raid enemy systems stealing ressources and destroying their shipyards. raiding mining operations to cut their supply line.

hell even can flipping and suicide ganking in high sec there is some risk. ive had 2BS suicide themselves trying to down my ship in high sec (they simply didnt expect i had a friend who was RR me (healing)) and fail to destroy me. 

in darkfall when i was just starting, some dude was camping the bank in one of the starter cities or some random city i dont remember, he was saying "oh QQ go back to WoW" for all who kept bitching that he kept killing them, i just decided to jump in front of him naked, he killed me, i rinced repeated, he changed locations and always followed him and jumped around him, at some point after 20some times he killed me, he stoped at that point i started smacking him with my starter sword, he then hey get the f**** out leave me alone i rinced repeated... he flipped out i answered "who is QQ now? bitch..." he killed me and logged out (I WIN)

people like you need to get a better hobby honestly or man up in real life and i dont know, ask a girl out see how that goes... (but first you might need to talk to them, don't worry its easy, just dont use LOL or PWND, and dont talk about anything that has a screen... i know its hard to do since its probably all you do but... you will figure it out...)

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

why don't you come to eve online, see how you would survive, (even against some people that would play less time than you)

Haha. Come to MY neighborhood, and try that sheet! I'm Cool!

ill stick with my alliance wars where we actualyl dispute over territory, stations, ressources, do blockades on enemy trade routes, raid enemy systems stealing ressources and destroying their shipyards. raiding mining operations to cut their supply line.

I do that too. I love doing it, huge PVP battles are my favorite in fact. But I gank too!

people like you need to get a better hobby honestly or man up in real life and i dont know, ask a girl out see how that goes... (but first you might need to talk to them, don't worry its easy, just dont use LOL or PWND, and dont talk about anything that has a screen... i know its hard to do since its probably all you do but... you will figure it out...)

Oh man you are full of surprises. Yes, I have a multitude of other hobbies. No, I don't have trouble with women. You assume these things because I gank people in quest zones in PVP servers? You do it too I guarantee it.

I'm glad the majority of MMO players can't handle PVP servers, me and my friends will just have more targets. Can't argue with that :)

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I'm glad the majority of MMO players can't handle PVP servers, me and my friends will just have more targets. Can't argue with that :)

Less people playing = Less targets.

How you managed to come up with the logic that less is somehow more is absolutely astonishing.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Haha. Come to MY neighborhood, and try that sheet! I'm Cool!

why? there is no challenge, nothing happens if you die or kill someone for that matter. i dont get a +1 you dont get a -1. no point in your neighborhood. 

I do that too. I love doing it, huge PVP battles are my favorite in fact. But I gank too!

really? what game do you play where you blockade trade routes, detroy supply lines and cripple your enemy, all while fighting through 150-200 reds? (oh all 150-200 are PC and not NPC)

Oh man you are full of surprises. Yes, I have a multitude of other hobbies. No, I don't have trouble with women. You assume these things because I gank people in quest zones in PVP servers? You do it too I guarantee it.

well given your time spending hours camping noobs one can only assume that you have the need to feel powerfull somewhere. 

wait what? i sure as hell can argue that!

less people = less targets... dont know where you went to school (and that surely wont impress girls)

you are talking to a guy who plays one of the most pvp centered games out there, and i can tell you, grieffers are not well seing, and hated by everyone including pvpers,

you give a bad name to pvp and pvp games, its because of people like you that drive people away from games attempting to bring back, or inovate pvp that drive investors and developpers not to want to put more ressources into it. they see people not liking it and leaving it of course one will think that pvp is a waste of money since no one is interested

and FYI, no i don't do it too. my fun is in baiting those grieffers and handing their asses back to them on a silver platter. (when im not defending my system from that one little recon ship with a cyno generator equiped on it (a cyno generator = a very big fleet of very big ships are comming)

games could benefit from less grieffers, 

games are disadvantaged when pvpers leave

games can't afford loosing pve ers who get grieffed.