Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bored with just about every MMO. This worth the money to even try?

GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

I played WoW for years, and it has been my go to game since it launched. I've always deviated and tried the new releases, but I usually get burned and the game is either a buggy mess or a WoW clone. I finally tired of WoW's terrible community and gear treadmill and reactivated my Rift account to see how they were doing. A week later, 1.3 drops and makes mages a joke, a class I love to play. So I am severely bored at this point. IS DCUO worth the money? I've heard the servers are so dead you can go hours without seeing a single person, or that the controls are attrocious on the PC. I seriously need a new game to play to take up time as I have severe back problems that cause me pain, so I sit for a lot of time, and TV during the summer is trash. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I enjoyed DCUO quite a bit, but it is a lot of mouse clicking.  Lots and lots of mosue clicking, as clicking the mouse is your mode of attack...let me give an example.

(Left clicks)  Click--click--hold click....(For my character with powers like iron man)  Punch---punch---ray blast

(Left clicks)  Click click click click..... Combo punches

(Left clicks)  Click, hold click, click click.....

It has been probably 3 months since I have played, so I cannot remember all the combos, but it did involve a lot of clicking, and clicking in certain order with holds, and mouse movements in order to get select moves off.

I had a lot of fun with the game, I loved flying (my choice of travel ability, you can choose flight, super speed, or acrobatics) but it was awesome to fly around the cities and swoop down.

If the population isn't there however, you may grow bored, but when I played, it was the first 2 months of release and there were people everwhere.  (Too many villians, not enough heroes).

Not sure how it is now-adays, but I enjoyed the control scheme and everything.

Edit: There are a bit of different "power sets" and also "weapon sets" in which you can customize your character...4 power sets?  And maybe 12 weapon sets?  The clicking and mouse movements differ per weapon set, so my clicking example might not be the same for say...someone who uses an ak-47, or duel swords, or duel pistols, or what not.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

Thank you for the info. Now if I could get someone who's playing now to actually clear up the statements about dead servers that would be awesome. It sounds really fun otherwise. I'm just really afraid I'll drop 50 bucks for a game I won't even finish the free month on and then be in the same boat again.Maybe I should try to find a F2P game or something.....or play EQ2 for 45 days for free since I guess everyone who has ever played a sony game got 45 days of time added to all their games hehe. I see quite a few posts about dead servers, but then there are ones saying hundreds of people showed up for events, so I'm still torn on this whole population issue. Again, thank you for your input.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

enjoyment of lfying and jumping around is not very long lasting.

game is fun for awhile maybe but then it stops.

customizing your own super hero or heroine toon is where you use most of your time i say.

and then again you see these superman copies everywhere named sup3rman etc.

cheers

• dookedoodookedoo Member Posts: 40

I would treat it more of a one-time experience.  I played it for around 110+ hours the first week and had an absolute blast.  However, I reached level cap in two days and did everything except the 8 man raids by the end of the first week.  There wasn't enough of a solid raiding player base at the time (although i'm sure there's enough now).  Additionally, the PVP where you have pre-set heroes is surprisingly fun.  If you liked Batman: Arkham Asylum, imagine that game but instead you can be anybody not just batman.  For a 110+ hours of solid entertainment, I'd say it's definitely worth it.  However, with all that being said, I can't see myself playing past the free month.  The game devolves at endgame to doing dailies and turning in marks for items just like WoW.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

The game is pretty good imo, if your abit into the superhero stuff im sure you will have a blast just lvling up and playing through the story, but it goes very fast. But you also have all the dungeons you can run through. that alone is worth the 50 bucks imo.

But servers are pretty dead i think, atleast the EU one im on atm,  i hear the PS3 servers have some good activity tough. Might be a populated US server, not sure.

But "Mega Servers" or whatevers its called is coming soon, basicly fancy name for a server merger, it should be fairly populated then so you should wait until that comes.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Yeah the game itself is great fun and and the combat but the servers are basicly dead

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

Awesome thanks guys. I think I'll wait until the server  mergers then.

• MorpgeusMorpgeus Member UncommonPosts: 59

Hey...Gank? Tssk ;)

Well, I am impressed that you rather accurately describe what bothers you. My standard answer to 'Which MMORPG should I try' would be 'Try all major free trials' but you specifically mention DCOU and, while I have not been there. ..

...I have been to CoX 5 times (of the 75 or so MMORPG I have played, this is *my* 'go-to' as you say) and it does suffer from 'lesser graphics' (great immersion though; I think WoW did fine on that too, quite stylish and humorous) but the amount of content is staggering. It has the best tactical combat I have ever seen in an MMORPG and *countless* monster strategies (and then PvP which is consensual, as in WoW, but quite different).

If you want to have a zillion things to look forward too, CoX might be your pre-DCUO title-of-choice. CO did not hit the mark (very good RPG system; painful lack of content) and while I will defo check out DCOU at *some* point, due to interface shortcomings (as described by another in this thread) and lack of content as well as low pop, I fear it will take at least another year before I would feel I could have a satisfying game experience.

In CoX: just do not go stree/sewer hunting. Huge waste of opportunity. You will find infinitely more fun things to do just by being nosy :) - also, stay out of the MA with your first toon, or 2 or 3 toons (do it incidentally, but do not make it your method-of-levelling because you will miss too much of the basics, like accolades and such).

Have a ball, wherever you SuperJump next to!

Lucas

PS I should conceivable change back (again :p) DCOU to DCUO but I am too lazy :p

* I say, there is no
    * darkness but ignorance.
    -
    * Twelfth-night; or, What You Will

• mmodannommodanno Member Posts: 163

Game play is fun for the first couple hours, then the crippled UI starts to show.  After that it is just an exercise in frustration.

Plus, if you sign up, you may be the only left still playing this.  Game is dead as dead can be.  Servers are ghost towns.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Was in the same situations as OP, till I tried Gods and Heroes.....simply a fresh breath of wind to MMorpg land 4 me :)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• KoupasKoupas Member Posts: 6

Yes it  is ;).You will love the combat system and the pvp and mega servers are no their way so i say you give it a shot.

• siitysiity Member UncommonPosts: 23

Im in the same boat too , for me there are no MMO's out there atm (done them all from freebies to subs) , was on here because was thinking of DCUO, but i cant see the point , 110hours , for me thats no MMO , need immersion , crafting , PvP , raids , basically longevity. Oh well , back to Bad Company / twiddling thumbs :/

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

DCU is a game designed for the console with an action game combat system.  Beyond that it is entirely made up of gameplay that people would fall into a wow clone.

The game only has a few weeks of content.  Less if you play at a brisk pace.  Then it completely devolves into repeating content you have already done for tokens or character build points or achievements.

It is a breif bit of fun, but it is just to shallow and incomplete to be worth a box price plus subscription fee.  Both other super hero games are free to play and offer more.  Not to mention SOE just added a cash shop to the game while allowing game breaking exploits and bugs linger around for months on end.

A few people can overlook all the games problems and make some fun in it, but as stated already it doesn't have much value.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Daffid011

DCU is a game designed for the console with an action game combat system.  Beyond that it is entirely made up of gameplay that people would fall into a wow clone.

The game only has a few weeks of content.  Less if you play at a brisk pace.  Then it completely devolves into repeating content you have already done for tokens or character build points or achievements.

It is a breif bit of fun, but it is just to shallow and incomplete to be worth a box price plus subscription fee.  Both other super hero games are free to play and offer more.  Not to mention SOE just added a cash shop to the game while allowing game breaking exploits and bugs linger around for months on end.

A few people can overlook all the games problems and make some fun in it, but as stated already it doesn't have much value.

I play on the ps3 an ^^^ x1000 it gets old fast after 30 and there even less to do in the open  world beside pvp an looking for (?) lol.

best bet is go COX even tho the graphic is dated (not to bad ) there jus tons more to do granted it has been out longer, there jus stuff there you will probly never see in DCUO.

my big gripe beside bugs an repeat repeat repeat instance end game is the lack of good powers and cheesy power graphics.

• chadzubalchadzubal Member Posts: 2

I last for 3months then toughed it out for the fourth then quit. After you hit 30 all you do is the same hand full of quests over and over and over.

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

Demo it, and when your done playing with demo.. Give yourself a 5 minutes thinking... Will this game give me much fun for long time?  Think about game mechanic, do you really enjoy the combat system?  The quest system?  Too linear or Too Freedom? 

Kain_Dale

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

I got it on a steam sale and while it was reasonably fun I ran in to I think 3 other real people while playing.

This was over the course of about a week, playing at all different times of the day hoping there was a prime time.

My final verdict, the game could be great, but I don't play MMO's to be the only one online. 

• EclipsesRGEclipsesRG Member Posts: 11

Game is worthless, imo don't get it.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I found DCU very underwhelming. Combat is fun for a couple days but then it gets boring. Powers, community and dungeons are all underwhelming to me. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

The game for me was fun for the free month. Got lvl 30 and never looked back... Better treat it like a single player game for the free month.

• toonatoona Member Posts: 8

If you have more money than sense this might be a perfect game to play.

Expect to be 'triple dipped' for your sub, content/new powers (DLC's), and micro-transactions to have something to do with people, if you can find them.

On the PC side you will be lucky to find 50-75 people on the most populated servers (not hyperbole).

The game itself is buggy, shallow, and has a quick leveling process only to repeat the leveling quests again and again at max level. I ran through every bit content in that game (raids included) in under 50 hours (more like 30 but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one).

If you treat it as a single player game (with the population it almost is) that is disposable after the 30 sub days are up, it might be fun. It is no where worthy of a sub or DLC's, no matter how trivial the asking price is right now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I broke two mice (mouses'?) playing this clickfest.

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by toona

If you have more money than sense this might be a perfect game to play.

Expect to be 'triple dipped' for your sub, content/new powers (DLC's), and micro-transactions to have something to do with people, if you can find them.

On the PC side you will be lucky to find 50-75 people on the most populated servers (not hyperbole).

The game itself is buggy, shallow, and has a quick leveling process only to repeat the leveling quests again and again at max level. I ran through every bit content in that game (raids included) in under 50 hours (more like 30 but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one).

If you treat it as a single player game (with the population it almost is) that is disposable after the 30 sub days are up, it might be fun. It is no where worthy of a sub or DLC's, no matter how trivial the asking price is right now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I broke two mice (mouses'?) playing this clickfest.

+1

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS