Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon Siege 3 PC demo - something's not right (update)

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Anyone playing the PC demo yet? Haven't had a chance to try it. Please post your thoughts if you've tried it or the 360 version which has been out for at least a week already. Are we looking at a new interim hack n slash king until D3?

Update - Tuesday @ midnight:

Well after running through the demo with the fighter character I have some opinions on this game. First off in it's current state I can't recommend it for preorder/purchase. This isn't due to bugs but rather a very clunky and awkward control system. Not sure if it's the result of consolization or what but if you scroll a few posts down, poster #4 Castille sums it up quite well. My thoughts are as follows, but basically what could otherwise be a cool game is being ruined by camera and control issues.

Two biggest problems with this game are the restrictive camera view and the awkward control system. W = forward, S= back but A=turn camera left and D=turn camera right??? Why not just make it so that right click hold and mouse turn moves the camera like most other examples in the genre (and mmos for that matter)? Two camera view options are 3rd person and "over the shoulder". Only problem is that if you turn the mouse wheel in either direction, the camera will just cycle through these two views until you stop turning the mouse wheel making you feel like you are quickly bungee jumping. Why not just zoom in with mouse wheel forward and zoom out with mouse wheel backwards like most other examples in the genre (and mmos for that matter)?

What I did like about the game?

Well I actually liked the graphics, no worse than any other hack n slash. I liked being able to block incoming blows (of course the awkward controls made this a chore). Dodge rolls are nice. Good ragdoll physics. Inventory UI is neat and new items that have not been examined yet are highlighted making it easy for you to quickly go through them. In addition, the value in gold of each item is displayed so that you can decide what to trash or transmute out in the field. When you hover over an item it shows what stats go up (green) and down (red) making for easy equip decisions.

What else I didn't like?

Well not sure if it's the demo, but it was very linear with zero exploration (other than a minor corridor or nook somewhere). Voice acting isn't top notch. Usually I forgive this as I value game mechanics over voice acting.

Well that's it basically. I'll wait for the metacritic user score and Gamespot to put it through the paces before I consider it again. They have to fix the camera and controls or it will be just another in a long string of PC gaming busts.

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I played the 360 demo and it was an ok game. The voice acting leaves a lot to be desired. It was pretty bad. I didn't know if Uwe Bowl was directing the voice acting. Gameplay was ok. I will probably buy it.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I played through the Steam demo. Did not float my boat tbh. Bad voice acting has never really botherd me, but as Sevenwind above me says, it does not help in this situation. The graphics looked alright, but the gameplay just seems to me to be more of the same with a bad BioWare conversation mechanic bolted on.   If you are a fan of the Dungeon Siege games then you will probably like this but if you where looking for them to make new inovations then you may like me be a little underwelmed. That's my opinion about it anyway. :)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Tried it and theres a post about it in general gaming buuuut Ill put my thoughts about it in here.

These are all reactions in the order that I encountered them

1. These graphics look odd...I dont like it.

2. Ugh what is up with the voice acting!?!

3. Ok fine so I move with...The RIGHT mouse button? okay...

4. Ok so left click whacks stuff...

5. *accidentally moves camera* ok wtf is wrong with this camera? Reminds me of nwn2....

6. *scrolls the camera* LOL WTF!?!?! And here I thought the camera in Dungeons were bad! Wow...

7. *gets in a fight and clicks to kill them* Ok...Whu?  That didnt feel right...

8. *gets into another fight* ok this is awkward...

9. *sees a soldier and mutes the game and listens to rachmaninovs piano concerto 2 OP 18* -.- shut up soldier!

10. *blows up bridges* OKAY! i GIVE  UP! Theres just something really awkward about playing this game! 

Edit:

Its the same awkwardness I felt with NWN2.  So I guess Im just an Obsidian hater?  I didnt even know they made both these games LOL. 

Didnt they make KOTOR 2?  I liked kotor 2

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

For those who are playing, please let me know if you liked diablo 2.  If not, you may not 'get' it. 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by adam_nox

For those who are playing, please let me know if you liked diablo 2.  If not, you may not 'get' it. 

I liked diablo 2 and I liked torchlight and sacred even o.o

But this game feels NOTHING like any of those.  This game feels like...I dont know it feels so different in a way that isnt good for me.  As I said the whole thing felt so awkward to me o.o  Id rather get my hack n slash action from Iphone games like Zenonia or like..Dungeon hunters and dungeon hunters 2  or idk..something ELSE.  It really really feels awkward for me to play this game o.o

o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Diablo II is in my top 5 games of all time. DSIII is not a wart on it's venerable ass.:)

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by Castillle

Tried it and theres a post about it in general gaming buuuut Ill put my thoughts about it in here.

These are all reactions in the order that I encountered them

1. These graphics look odd...I dont like it.

2. Ugh what is up with the voice acting!?!

3. Ok fine so I move with...The RIGHT mouse button? okay...

4. Ok so left click whacks stuff...

5. *accidentally moves camera* ok wtf is wrong with this camera? Reminds me of nwn2....

6. *scrolls the camera* LOL WTF!?!?! And here I thought the camera in Dungeons were bad! Wow...

7. *gets in a fight and clicks to kill them* Ok...Whu?  That didnt feel right...

8. *gets into another fight* ok this is awkward...

9. *sees a soldier and mutes the game and listens to rachmaninovs piano concerto 2 OP 18* -.- shut up soldier!

10. *blows up bridges* OKAY! i GIVE  UP! Theres just something really awkward about playing this game! 

Edit:

Its the same awkwardness I felt with NWN2.  So I guess Im just an Obsidian hater?  I didnt even know they made both these games LOL. 

Didnt they make KOTOR 2?  I liked kotor 2

Yes obsidian did Kotor2, but that was in 2004... seven years ago.  A lot can change in seven years, particularly at a game studio. 

More recently they've done Alpha Protocol and the Fallout: New Vegas expansion.  The former was noted as a flawed game, although with glimmers of insightful design and generally mixed reviews.  The latter was noted as simply being buggy as all hell.  Those two titles would be more indicative of the studio than kotor2 or NWN2.  Even though I still remain wary of them 5 years after NWN2.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I loved nwn2, thought it was twice as good, single player wise, than the first.  Not so much alpha protocol.  New Vegas was great, but that's because bethesda did most of the programming for them by handing them the engine and a lot of assets to use.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Just posted my reply in another thread, but here's my quick review.  Not worth $50 IMHO.  Seems pretty fun but too many negatives, maybe something I'll pick for 15 bucks on Steam someday.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Very much liked D2. Please expand on what you mean by "get it".

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

So its an evilsteam game, well NO THX then. But already read alot of previews and all where negative.

Dungeon siege 1 was best and made by Gaspowers, i think they never will make another dungeon siege 1 but with imporoved graphics and new world im affraid. Did not like dungeon siege 2 eather.

Titan Quest was my last real good hack and slash.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Groovydutch

So its an evilsteam game, well NO THX then. But already read alot of previews and all where negative.

Dungeon siege 1 was best and made by Gaspowers, i think they never will make another dungeon siege 1 but with imporoved graphics and new world im affraid. Did not like dungeon siege 2 eather.

I never played DS1 but i liked DS2. Diablo and D2 i loved, Titan Quest and the expansion i still have installed and mess with the mods every so often.

DS3. I just can't get into it. I want to like it but i can't, the style is aweful and doesn't feel in the slightest like a good dungeon crawler.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Groovydutch

I never played DS1 but i liked DS2. Diablo and D2 i loved, Titan Quest and the expansion i still have installed and mess with the mods every so often.

DS3. I just can't get into it. I want to like it but i can't, the style is aweful and doesn't feel in the slightest like a good dungeon crawler.

Well when i saw steam on retail box i put it back on shelfs i wont buy it, gamecode prolly not even on dvd disk i have to register and install steam download it from there server and that will never happen if i pay 50 euros for a game im in controll i deside how and when i will play with or without internet not other companys i boycot all who force me to play through there gameportal.

Where are the LAN functions these days that you can play a game only on network thats not connected to internet its all gone bah:(

• AmeristAmerist Member UncommonPosts: 30

This game did not remind me of Diablo 2 -- a game that I still play with friends to this day.

I might one day purchase this to play all the way through; but the control scheme took me a long time to get used to. ξ

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

The combat reminded me a lot of Fable III. Playable but not great, I'll wait until it hits $20.