Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Vs. Mortal Online??

WAlex234WAlex234 Member Posts: 66

So ive been thinking about trying out mortal online since i keep hearing about people who are switching from DF to MO because of the skill grind in DF is terrible.

-- is MO actually work looking into since it actually looks much better then it did in release?

-- i played DF for about 6 months and hated the skill grind and how hard it was to compete with people who had macroed etc. they totally needed to implement some kind of cap. i loved this game just not happy with how it turned out.

-- so ive played everygame someone has mentioned to me that has PvP except MO is it worth the look?

Played:WoW,WH,Aion,Darkfall,DaOC,AoC,EQ2.
Currntly:Searching for The game

Comments

• Sup3rnovaSup3rnova Member Posts: 69

I also played Darkfall for a few month and have been thinking of trying Mortal Online so I'm going to follow this post and see how it goes I may see you ingame :-) there is a trial now btw.

Nvm im out £27 for the intial game and then £12.60 per month I think is overpriced :(

• therdretherdre Member UncommonPosts: 50

I remember trying MO and being extremely disapointed, I'd suggest wurm online simular idea far less buggy and much better game play (also macroing is illegal)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

must admit i have not played MO since release... but it was the biggest pile of crap i had ever seen and a massive waste of the unreal 3 engine..

The grind in darkall these days it a lot less.. they increased the speed you gain skills and introduced offline meditation..

I

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

This question gets asked pretty regularly.  To me, MO is definitely worth trying.  It's got a free trial, so you're really not out anything other than time spent playing it.  There is very little skill grind, as the skill point cap keeps characters from mastering every skill in the game.  In my opinion, it's a good sandbox fantasy MMO that still has some rough edges, but is definitely heading in the right direction.

There are a lot of similarities, and perhaps more importantly, some fundamental differences, between the designs of the two games.  I've played both: DF was focused on clan warfare, while MO was focused on creating a virtual fantasy world.

A couple of threads you might want to look at:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/317581/DF-vs-MO.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/314987/page/1

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• lucianbonnlucianbonn Member Posts: 48

I think right now MO is your best option but  there is something that might peak your interest that Darkfall is doing to, perhaps, re-invent the game (or maybe just re-market it). 

There will be a Darkfall "Relaunch" sometimes in the near future. I don't have any details on it, all I've heard is that it's going to happen and its going to be an "entirely new game". Now if that means they're launching a new server with a different ruleset or if they are completely rebooting the current one, or  coming out with a new game entirely, you might want to check that out. 

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

There is no grind in Darkfall anymore.  They made skills raise about 10x faster when used on NPC's about 3 months ago, raised crafting gains in the last patch and added the meditation system so you can gain skills and stats while you are logged out.  Its on par and even faster than most other MMO's on the market (except you can kill a vet, like me, within your first week, yes I suck that bad at FPS, wtb Shadowbane 2).

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by -Zeno-

There is no grind in Darkfall anymore.  They made skills raise about 10x faster when used on NPC's about 3 months ago, raised crafting gains in the last patch and added the meditation system so you can gain skills and stats while you are logged out.  Its on par and even faster than most other MMO's on the market (except you can kill a vet, like me, within your first week, yes I suck that bad at FPS, wtb Shadowbane 2).

dont want to hijack here but this is something to think about in these games. if its 'twitch based' or 'fps', ie., hitting something is entirely based upon your RL abilities to aim and shoot, then its *not* an rpg. a roleplaying game implies i am playing a role i couldn't in real life, that i possess skills i coudn't in real life.

if i wanted to actually learn archery i'd go buy a bow at the walmart and start practicing. but these are sposed to be role playing games and the 'fps/twitch' addition subtracts from my gameplay, it doesn't make it new or novel or interesting, except in showing me how uncoordinated i am in real life.

and +1 for a ShadowBane2. or an NWN mmo not based on the 4.0 ruleset...sigh.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Sup3rnova

I also played Darkfall for a few month and have been thinking of trying Mortal Online so I'm going to follow this post and see how it goes I may see you ingame :-) there is a trial now btw.

Nvm im out £27 for the intial game and then £12.60 per month I think is overpriced :(

Huh over priced???????????? This is the normal fee for a P2P mmo... It was more for the game at release. you pay for what you get people, its not cheap to make a game this , and you have people to pay.. Those freee games cost your over 20 bucks a months to play even to compete in PVP if your lucky, I don't understand why people think 15 bucks is so expensive to pay for a momthly fee, I think people who think that is to much should look for a new hobby as this is a cheap hobby.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by chelan

dont want to hijack here but this is something to think about in these games. if its 'twitch based' or 'fps', ie., hitting something is entirely based upon your RL abilities to aim and shoot, then its *not* an rpg. a roleplaying game implies i am playing a role i couldn't in real life, that i possess skills i coudn't in real life.

if i wanted to actually learn archery i'd go buy a bow at the walmart and start practicing. but these are sposed to be role playing games and the 'fps/twitch' addition subtracts from my gameplay, it doesn't make it new or novel or interesting, except in showing me how uncoordinated i am in real life.

No thats why you guys have games like WOW, we want games that are based on RL, we are tired of point and click, where u win in PVP , because you don't work, or have no life in those games. Not saying u but others, I like a game where I can come in and because I have skill beat someone who has played for years..... This is skill based, and we need more games based on skill, you guys have WOW, EQ, LOTOR, DDO, AOC... ETC... 

We have MO, DFO, thats really about it.. So saying this is like saying your selfish and others shouldnt have anything they enjoy..  

Thats my 2 cents on that

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by chelan

That's not true. Elder Scroll games also have free aim. It's still a RPG. FPS is only a gameplay style.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

You have the judge these games after there next big update

Darkfall 2.0

and

Mortal Online: Awakening

Both  games right now have big problems.

Darkfall has Super soldier, along with a long grind, serious game breaking bugg's.

M.O has a terrible layout, you enter the game, and all the things you need to do are hidden. And the UI is like a 5 year old did it.

Hopefully by december 2012 these games will be able to looked at without these terrible issues both games have.

• Helena85Helena85 Member Posts: 6

Seems to be a firefox problem.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I wouldn't play a game which doesn't have a skill cap and everybody can max out all skills - read Darkfall. What were the developers thinking?

So that leaves MO I guess.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Well definately not Mortal Online-Darkfall if you must. Otherwise wait until GW2 or Tera.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Both are terrible - you should not play either one.

Without warning, Adventurine will probably roll out Darkfall 2.0 and all your character stuff will be wiped.

StarVault likes to outright lie to its playerbase all the time.

Both games are a buggy mess.

Players from both games come to this forum often to try to drum up some interest.  This is because they are desperate and need new blood to gank repeatedly at newbie towns.  You see, after the newbies get ganked, frustrated, and then leave, they have no one to PvP anymore (since they aren't about to fight other players who might be equally-skilled or better).  If they can't get their newbie snack, they might lapse their poor subs!

--

Elder Scrolls series games are as much an RPG as this site is a good source of unbiased reviews.  (not at all)  Skyrim's a hitchhiking simulator with TACKTIKOOL TWITCH KOMBAT11!11!, and to be honest, I don't recall TACKTIKOOL TWITCH KOMBAT11!11! a staple of many of the 'older' RPGs that you people put on a pedestal and pray to every day.

When trying to make an 'Action RPG', the RPG side is mutilated for a bit of unwieldy action that only provides enjoyment for the first hours of gameplay.  Then you start getting into the story and realize it's a snoozefest A to B because apparently, 'Action RPG' creators don't know how to write.

Newsflash:  Having to manually aim in a video game doesn't make you 'harder' than a video gamer who doesn't.  It doesn't make you more of a man in real life.  Just means you are trying to prove to yourself that you're 'unique' and 'different' among other video gamers, which the companies bank on to sell you their bug-ridden shit and then don't patch the game for years.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by WAlex234

So ive been thinking about trying out mortal online since i keep hearing about people who are switching from DF to MO because of the skill grind in DF is terrible.

-- is MO actually work looking into since it actually looks much better then it did in release?

-- i played DF for about 6 months and hated the skill grind and how hard it was to compete with people who had macroed etc. they totally needed to implement some kind of cap. i loved this game just not happy with how it turned out.

-- so ive played everygame someone has mentioned to me that has PvP except MO is it worth the look?

Darkfall is 10 times better in PvP and PvE. I am being very generous to MO when saying this.

It will probably take you at least 6 months to be on par with vets though. You will be absolutely useles in PvP for probably a month if not longer. If you do decide to play Darkfall join a good clan. This will probably be the difference between enjoying the game and ragequiting.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Khaeros

Elder Scrolls series games are as much an RPG as this site is a good source of unbiased reviews.  (not at all)  Skyrim's a hitchhiking simulator with TACKTIKOOL TWITCH KOMBAT11!11!, and to be honest, I don't recall TACKTIKOOL TWITCH KOMBAT11!11! a staple of many of the 'older' RPGs that you people put on a pedestal and p

The Elder Scrolls is not an RPG??????????????????? I would LOVE to hear your definition of an RPG.

But I do agree that both Darkfall an Mortal Online suck and the OP shouldn't waste his time playing any of them.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I have played both games and I personally prefer Mortal. Darkfall is great in many ways, but the skill grind is still absolutely ridiculous and the barrier for entry is just simply too high to be worth it. MO is a better sandbox game and you don't have to invest every moment of your life to it in order to be successful. That by itself makes it superior in my opinion...

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

At this point in time, I wouldn't play either. Darkfall Online is great, I really do think it's a far superior product to Mortal, despite some of the barriers to entry that other posters have mentioned. The problem is that Aventurine is rolling out DF 2.0 some time in the future, and it's probably coming with character wipes, so I personally couldn't justify spending time building a new character under that circumstance. Not until 2.0 releases, at least.

As far as Mortal Online is concerned, I really have nothing good to say other than it's an independently developed sandbox. I think the modeling, animations, texturing, skill design, and combat are all ameteur at best, and during the time I personally spent playing, I encountered bugs and problems the likes of which I can only compare to the worst releases of MMO history. In combination, Star Vault is terribly incompetent, and their GM's have been known and proven to interfere with the actions of players far outside of their boundaries, often leading to examples of guild loyalties that corrupt the higher echelon's of their moderation.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Originally posted by fivoroth

The Elder Scrolls is not an RPG??????????????????? I would LOVE to hear your definition of an RPG.

Planescape: Torment is an RPG.  Most everything else is varying grades of bad that use the term 'RPG' to cater to a degenerative audience.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by Khaeros

Originally posted by fivoroth

Planescape: Torment is an RPG.  Most everything else is varying grades of bad that use the term 'RPG' to cater to a degenerative audience.

You sound like a very negative person in your posts.  I hope you find some happiness necause whatever you are doing isn't working, or so it sounds.