Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF an Openworld PVP, (preferably a sandbox game)

inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

I have been playing EVE Online for a while now but I am looking for something different now.

What I am looking for is something similar when it comes to pvp. Where it's not just faction against faction, but you can "declare war" or "hire Mercenaries" etc. Even if it's within the same race. I love having that freedom. Speaking of freedom it would be great if it's also a sandbox game.

I don't mind if it's an old game, and if it's "free to play" as long as it's not "pay to win".

Can you please help me find a new home?

I know of Lineage 2 and Eve Online but is there anything else?

(I have tried Perpetuum but it bored me, it missed something)

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Darkfall is the only "sandbox" open world pvp i can add to your p2p list.

GW maybe, never played this game but its a good pvp game. Aion is also pvp with some big pvp maps similar to open world. They are not a lot of choice for pvp games.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

mortal online

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Thanks for the replies, so far I have got the following that I will need to research or try out:

Xsyon

Earthrise

Fallen Earth

Mortal Online

Darkfall

Hopefully I will find a good one amongst that list, that isn't dead.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Darkfall is the only other one I found to be decent.   However, the active skill grind just wasn''t to my taste.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

You'll find a lot of people who played/play EvE in Darkfall. Everything else is rubbish for the time being.

just updated my main post, to accurately phrase what i am looking for :) thanks again for everyone that has posted a reply.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

There's also Lineage 2. Oop's didn't see you mentioned it before.

There isn't much else out there really. I've been looking for the same thing myself for a while, since about 2005 to be exact, lol.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ApegApeg Member Posts: 91

Earthrise is the game you are looking for. Although it is 29.90 at the moment, I recommend to wait for the free trial, which is coming soon before you buy. People have mixed feelings about it, although I love it.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

vanguard is only £7 and is a really good mmorg with a massive open world, I picked it up a couple weeks ago and  still enjoying the game, pretty rich content.

edit ignore, misread your Post.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• lantesh1lantesh1 Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by inzane3

Thanks for the replies, so far I have got the following that I will need to research or try out:

Xsyon

Earthrise

Fallen Earth

Mortal Online

Darkfall

Hopefully I will find a good one amongst that list, that isn't dead.

Xsyon, while interesting, had major network issues on launch, and isn't much of a PvP game. The PvP is more to defend your stuff and to be incredibly obnoxious (for the naked suicide griefers).

Earthrise bombed right out of the gate. It was a game that people were watching with bated breath for years, and then it fell on its face hard. From my understanding there is precious little content, and it feels/looks like something that should have been released in 2008.

Fallen Earth is good, however, brace for microtransactions, and be prepared to "grind the faction wheel" to get a character that is half decent for PvP.

Mortal Online.....don't. Just....don't.

Darkfall is honestly the best of the lot, and yet sadly, not terribly great either. The key problems being that while it has a great feel, huge world, and is decently sandboxy, the community is absolutely abysmal. Everyone from the leader of the newbie guild to several of the major guilds in the game are just whiny manchildren that will threaten to kill you because you touched a stupid rock. I had a good time when I was playing by myself, but as soon as I got into a guild to try and get into the more interesting bits of town support etc, I literally quit in about 2 hours from just how childish the supposed "leaders" were.

Originally posted by lantesh1

Xsyon, while interesting, had major network issues on launch, and isn't much of a PvP game. The PvP is more to defend your stuff and to be incredibly obnoxious (for the naked suicide griefers).

Earthrise bombed right out of the gate. It was a game that people were watching with bated breath for years, and then it fell on its face hard. From my understanding there is precious little content, and it feels/looks like something that should have been released in 2008.

Fallen Earth is good, however, brace for microtransactions, and be prepared to "grind the faction wheel" to get a character that is half decent for PvP.

Darkfall is honestly the best of the lot, and yet sadly, not terribly great either. The key problems being that while it has a great feel, huge world, and is decently sandboxy, the community is absolutely abysmal. Everyone from the leader of the newbie guild to several of the major guilds in the game are just whiny manchildren that will threaten to kill you because you touched a stupid rock. I had a good time when I was playing by myself, but as soon as I got into a guild to try and get into the more interesting bits of town support etc, I literally quit in about 2 hours from just how childish the supposed "leaders" were.

Does that mean that there is no great Sandbox PVP MMO out there besides EVE Online? *sigh*

• Major69er1Major69er1 Member UncommonPosts: 133

There is also Perpetuum wich is eve clone with Mechs.

Originally posted by Major69er1

I tried it but it bored me and on top of that it's got an extremely low population.

• lantesh1lantesh1 Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by lantesh1

Does that mean that there is no great Sandbox PVP MMO out there besides EVE Online? *sigh*

No, it means there's no great sandbox MMO out there period, considering CCP just screwed the pooch big time with EVE and just left a giant freaking black mark on what the genre could have been.

Here's hoping for ArcheAge maybe?

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243

Ive played every game on your list. Darkfall being the longest (9 months) . I quit DF because it really needed a skill cap. The skill grind is complete bull shite. I just strated playing Mortal Online last mnth and was really surprised. Im extremely happy that theres no grind and in a couple weeks can easily compete with anyone. Allot of people are pissed with Mortal but im loving it.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Originally posted by Major69er1

I tried it but it bored me and on top of that it's got an extremely low population.

You may want to give it another chance since a) it has supposedly improved quite a bit since launch, b) it's very, very similar to EVE (which seems to be what you're looking for), and c) population pretty much doubled since CCP pissed off thousands of EvE players who've recently made the migration.