Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most subtle way to shut down servers

2»

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

being a top server doesnt make it a safe haven for player ,check me i play on illidan (wow)and ally side is so low it is a joke they could literally join up 5 or 10 low ally side pop in various server and it would be cool but i doubt blizzard will do that

in the end to balance the various server they will have to come up with a reward system on those overpopulated side server

and even then not sure it will entince player!ally side?lol on illidan it is pretty much dead ,horde can squish ally side on illidan any 69 ways and ally wont be able to resist!it is the sad fact!

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by Blacknd

I'm not sure if I have ever seen an MMO company with this good of PR skills.

God damn they're good.. Lol.

Kudos to them though, for finding a second way to put a good spin on the faults newer MMOs tend to have post-launch.

lol I know right?

The one thing Trion ecell at is their PR... it's amazing.

They have managed to sell, and keep selling, a very medicre product with incredble success. Other devs should be taking note.

Ofc, the real test for them comes when SWToR hits, because it's in direct competition with Rift (more then any other game) and has the power to hammer them. It will be interesting tosee the spin they come out with then.

I have to agree Trion are masters of the PR art but.... marketing only gets people in the door a quality product makes them stay, if they pull the same tricks with Defiance people will be less inclined to believe them and Trion will not see the types of numbers that they have with Rift. It is going to be very interesting to see the marketing campaign for Defiance when it starts. 

Cal.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I am curious why they haven´t released subscription numbers yet?  Since they seem to be able to release all these bogus numbers.

2 million they keep mentioning..... that is the number of ACCOUNTS created.. a number which was probably well over a million before the game even launched.  You created an ACCOUNT to sign up for beta... you created an ACCOUNT to post on the forums...   you also created multiple ACCOUNTS with different email addresses to better your chance to get into beta.

álmost´ 1 million clients sold.....  what is álmost´?  is that 999k.. is that 800k...  They keep saying they are approaching 1 million.. but they seem to be approaching it for a long time now.   Going from 100k to 200k is ápproaching´ 1 milllion.

Finally, why not just announce subscribers?  They have no problem releasing these other two meaningless numbers..why not announce the only one that matters.

The fact is, they sold less than 1 million clients, and they are now closing about 40% of their servers.   That indicates to me they are below 500k and falling.

They had a very open beta, they had a ton of free trials.  Anyone that was ever going to play the game probably already has tried it, which is why for a month now, they have been ápproaching´ 1 million clients sold.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Azrile

I am curious why they haven´t released subscription numbers yet?  Since they seem to be able to release all these bogus numbers.

2 million they keep mentioning..... that is the number of ACCOUNTS created.. a number which was probably well over a million before the game even launched.  You created an ACCOUNT to sign up for beta... you created an ACCOUNT to post on the forums...   you also created multiple ACCOUNTS with different email addresses to better your chance to get into beta.

álmost´ 1 million clients sold.....  what is álmost´?  is that 999k.. is that 800k...  They keep saying they are approaching 1 million.. but they seem to be approaching it for a long time now.   Going from 100k to 200k is ápproaching´ 1 milllion.

Finally, why not just announce subscribers?  They have no problem releasing these other two meaningless numbers..why not announce the only one that matters.

The fact is, they sold less than 1 million clients, and they are now closing about 40% of their servers.   That indicates to me they are below 500k and falling.

They had a very open beta, they had a ton of free trials.  Anyone that was ever going to play the game probably already has tried it, which is why for a month now, they have been ápproaching´ 1 million clients sold.

I think the yellow bit speaks volumes if you have impressive numbers you tell the world that number, but no they skirt around the issue with all the other stuff you mention like many a politician  does.

Cal.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Calerxes

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Clywd

Originally posted by Professor78

And I thought that a bit of media had just gone about from Trion saying that the numbers are healthy and still growing...

All I can say is that Blightweald was nice and healthly before 1.3, with transfers now its overendulged itself on players and is just a lagfest...

It could be that they have forced players to another shard for whatever ideas they have, but now there are too many on each in my opinion :(

That one was here in an interview with Hal Hanlin: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/enter-at-your-own-rift-talking-1-3-with-hal-hanlin/

Speaking of population, I couldn't help but relay the accusation that RIFT's population is not growing but dwindling (or "dying," depending on your proximity to a cyberprophet of doom). Hanlin laughed and said, "I can assure you -- no, we're not. Uh-uh. We are continuing to uptrend our number of subscribers."

In fact, he revealed that one of the most-cited sources of this accusation -- the population indicators on the server list -- has changed simply because the company has severely beefed up the capacity of its server hardware to accommodate more players. So what rated as a "high" population before might be downgraded to "medium" today. He said that this upgrade was done in preparation for even more player trials coming in the future.

That was just two days ago. I guess the lag is only in the two main cities?

So how does one "beef up" capacity of servers? and do it without taking down the servers for extended maintenance?   I think it's as the poster above mentioned, cram them in on existing server spec's.

I don't really see how a game can be growing when you shut down servers, which is all this "trial" malarky is, when the game launched all servers were high or full for at least six weeks. So the game dropped down so far that its now begun to grow again I don't think so. I feel players that enjoy Rift and want to stay for the longterm will have to get used to this until its down to a few servers each side of the pond similar to what happened to Warhammer, you cannot release a lackluster, bland MMO and expect marketing to keep it growing, though I don't doubt Trion got their initial investment back. I think back to claim from the lead dev that the servers could only hold roughly 1500 concurrent players and to me that has been spot on give or take a few hundred so no this game is not growing at all.

Cal.

Wrong you cant release a game that trys to emulate WoW to the T and expect that the playerbase will magically flock to a new comer with less content and slightly less polish then WoW.  You cant beat WoW at WoW, its been proven time and time again, and will happen with SWToR too. There nothing really bland about Rift, well unless you think WoW is bland.  The problem is Rift is a brand new game but plays like it came out in 2004, which suprisingly enough it pretty much did.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

In the whole time I've played.. population has been a non-issue. I know it is on some servers, but that's why they included free transfers to dwindle out useless servers and have higher pops on the other ones. Rift isn't the most successful MMO in subscriber numbers, but it's doing better than nearly every MMO that's come out in quite some time. 

Aion is probably the only one that compares.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I got no problems with my servers population, i still frequently wait in ques.. Actually, TOO MANY people would be my problem lol.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

I got no problems with my servers population, i still frequently wait in ques.. Actually, TOO MANY people would be my problem lol.

If you had been on the server I was on you'd not take the population for granted. I moved from Atrophinious(sp?) to Millrush, and HOLY COW!!!! It really was a game changer. So many more people. I actually have been grouping non-stop. Its crazy that I actually see people out in the world doing rifts and questing outside the two newbs areas(stonefield and freemarch).

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Vonatar

Speaking of population, I couldn't help but relay the accusation that RIFT's population is not growing but dwindling (or "dying," depending on your proximity to a cyberprophet of doom). Hanlin laughed and said, "I can assure you -- no, we're not. Uh-uh. We are continuing to uptrend our number of subscribers."

In fact, he revealed that one of the most-cited sources of this accusation -- the population indicators on the server list -- has changed simply because the company has severely beefed up the capacity of its server hardware to accommodate more players. So what rated as a "high" population before might be downgraded to "medium" today. He said that this upgrade was done in preparation for even more player trials coming in the future.

Oh god that made me laugh so hard I almost spat my coffee. That has got to be the BEST spin I ever heard about a growing population but servers are showing a drop from high pop to medium pop.

I bet SOE are kicking themselves that they didn't think of this little gem of bullcrap when talking about DCUO's population.

not so sure myself.. have received.. albeit unconfirmed.. report that Rifts subs now were approaching 2 million..  i didnt really give it much credence but... have to wonder ... image

I bet they're counting my account that I had during Beta, bought the game, have 30 days of free game time, but have cancled my pre-order sub prior to launch and have not logged in one since launch along with all the accounts that never made it past the free trial.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by luciusETRUR

In the whole time I've played.. population has been a non-issue. I know it is on some servers, but that's why they included free transfers to dwindle out useless servers and have higher pops on the other ones. Rift isn't the most successful MMO in subscriber numbers, but it's doing better than nearly every MMO that's come out in quite some time. 

Actually, Aion released subscription numbers at 2.7million total, though this was around October before the graphical updates and increase in exp/loot drops iirc, which made the game more popular here in the West.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Actually, Aion released subscription numbers at 2.7million total, though this was around October before the graphical updates and increase in exp/loot drops iirc, which made the game more popular here in the West.

Didn't Aion's subs in Korea increase as well?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Didn't Aion's subs in Korea increase as well?

I remember hearing that as well, but I wasn't positive so I didn't mention it. I haven't really kept up with the game since last year, I just remembered the 2.7mill article because I was surprised it was doing so well.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

They won't release any, probably for a long time since they aren't owned by stockholders, they don't have to answer to public disclosures.

Trion will release numbers when they are doing well financially or something, like in that interview where the Trion rep said they stole 600k members from WoW.

If you aren't hearing anything from them regarding numbers, they aren't doing so hot.

I'm thinking they will release some kind of numbers RIGHT BEFORE Swtor launches to try and steal their thunder with press releases.

They'll have to do that because they don't have any other way of stopping the buzz that will be surrounding that game before launch.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by popinjay

They won't release any, probably for a long time since they aren't owned by stockholders, they don't have to answer to public disclosures.

Trion will release numbers when they are doing well financially or something, like in that interview where the Trion rep said they stole 600k members from WoW.

If you aren't hearing anything from them regarding numbers, they aren't doing so hot.

I'm thinking they will release some kind of numbers RIGHT BEFORE Swtor launches to try and steal their thunder with press releases.

They'll have to do that because they don't have any other way of stopping the buzz that will be surrounding that game before launch.

lol it wouldnt matter if trion said they had 90% of the MMO players on their game for me.. When SWTOR releases im droppin everything and gonna be callin sick into work/school for a week straight lol..

And this is coming from someone who adores Rift.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Clywd

And I thought that a bit of media had just gone about from Trion saying that the numbers are healthy and still growing...

All I can say is that Blightweald was nice and healthly before 1.3, with transfers now its overendulged itself on players and is just a lagfest...

It could be that they have forced players to another shard for whatever ideas they have, but now there are too many on each in my opinion :(

That one was here in an interview with Hal Hanlin: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/enter-at-your-own-rift-talking-1-3-with-hal-hanlin/

That was just two days ago. I guess the lag is only in the two main cities?

I say he's full of shit and thats a damn nice "cover story/PR coverup" The servers are losing people, and they trying to say anything to assure people its not, When the dev's try this hard to keep saying their not losing people in droves, they usually are, and are trying to not fighten the remaining playerbase. I myself didn't like rift, the entire game felt stale and had to much of a "been there done that already" feel to it, I was only in OB though, but I doubt the game will change much later on. Haven't bothered with it since OB since I been reading peoples comments omn Rift and it bascally is playing out exactly how I figured it would. Bascally once people relize Rift is just yet-another-wow-wannabe they'll quit and move on since there is nothing new or unique to keep them interested, and so far thats what has been happening. Rift is still a success though, Long as the dev can turn a profit and keep bringing out new content I'd say the game is a success, lets face it, no MMO is really ever gonna get 1 mil+subs steady after WoW, and especally won't when every game is trying to copy wow and feels just like it.

Overall from what I hear Rift is not a bad game persay, its just too stale feeling for a real mmorpg gamer, not enough new stuff, Casuals will prob love it though, since they only play 1-3 hours on average maybe every night they won't feel it getting stale as fast.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

have to agree this is a very good way of shutting down dead servers and making it look good.