Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an open world MMO that is lite on quests.

Myself and a friend are looking for an open world PvE game that doesn't just usher us from one area to the next with redundent quest NPCs. We enjoy combat and just kicking back and doing some good old fashion monster slaying and testing out characters limits without being told where to go when by some NPC.

Ultima Online is one we used to play, but have pretty much mastered inside and out. Ragnarok Online met the description but it seems either monsters die in one hit, or the characters do, so that wasn't very enjoyable for a duo combat experince.

Any advice would be welcome, we are trying to avoid games where we need to worry about gankers and open world pvp interupting our experice. However we will tolerate PvP as long as it isn't the centeral focus of the game.

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Wait for Guild Wars 2  ;)

• NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167

From what I've seen Guild Wars 2 will be full of quests, just disguised as dynamic events. I saw a video where the guy had to put out fires with a bucket of water in a dynamic event, "put X amouts of fires out" is still a quest, just now it's so the town doesn't burn. But it's still a "quest" without the fluff. 

• lucianbonnlucianbonn Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Guler

Myself and a friend are looking for an open world PvE game that doesn't just usher us from one area to the next with redundent quest NPCs. We enjoy combat and just kicking back and doing some good old fashion monster slaying and testing out characters limits without being told where to go when by some NPC.

GW2 is what the TC is asking for.

He's asking for light on quests not questless. GW2 won't be light on quests at all, but it will be light on telling you what you have to do. Then again, I'm just assuming here. I won't reccomend you wait for GW2 because hey, I've never even played it so It could turn out to be terrible. 

Ragnorok Online has virtually no quests I think. Or maybe it's you can play the game by just grinding without quests. 

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Fallen Earth has a free trial. Give it a shot.

Personally I'm sick of themepark quest grinders. This is what I am playing now.....feels old school.

• lucianbonnlucianbonn Member Posts: 48

It's also worth noting that Fallen Earth will be going Free to Play with Gamers First soon. 

• thanizthaniz Member Posts: 16

Mortal online. Altough PvP is a unlimited, but open world, no quests etc. The nights are dark. Give it a try, 14 days free trial. :)

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

well this game isnt light on quests (quite contrary), but you can imho happily ignore them and play without them (even tho it will take you rather long time to level) - vanguard

• InsomniaqInsomniaq Member Posts: 29

If you don't mind the dated graphics and have never tried it before, you might want to give the AC trial a go. The quests are really only to get items and/or experience, but most of the time the experience gains aren't even as efficient as jumping into a dungeon with a friend and clearing the whole thing (if you can...)

Some of my fondest MMO memories come out of AC!

• lantesh1lantesh1 Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Personally I'm sick of themepark quest grinders. This is what I am playing now.....feels old school.

He said lite on quests. The primary reason(aside from their questionable buddying up with microtransactions and now the F2P direction) I didn't stick around with Fallen Earth was that, while I liked that the quests added some direction, you had to do that ridiculous "grind the wheel" crap and gain/lose faction with every faction to get all your skill points. You ultimately have to quest your ass off if you want a decent character.

• dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    Give vanguard a try. There are an abundance of quests, but no requirement to do them. I believe it will be exactly what you are looking for. With the proper class selection, you can duo a great percentage of the content. In my opinion, it's the highest quality product on the market. And the word is getting out, albeit slowly.
  • astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by lantesh1

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

He said lite on quests. The primary reason(aside from their questionable buddying up with microtransactions and now the F2P direction) I didn't stick around with Fallen Earth was that, while I liked that the quests added some direction, you had to do that ridiculous "grind the wheel" crap and gain/lose faction with every faction to get all your skill points. You ultimately have to quest your ass off if you want a decent character.

Not true any more because they put a cap on AP by level. To max out you would still need to do some quests, but it is actually a lot faster to level by grinding and then come back and breeze through the AP missions. They also have faction reset mutations that make the whole thing easier.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• fallonfallonfallonfallon Member Posts: 99

ok so let me get this straight..you want a pve based game with lite questing?

I didnt even know such games existed ! Maybe a game that is a dungeon grinder? maybe idk?

Only game i can think of thats like that is not F2p..and its hated by everyone ! at least on mmorpg.com anyway.

Maybe Vindictus?...although the game feels almost lobby based..the game has some pretty hardcore action and is pretty much a dungeon grinder , and the queting felt lacking..so maybe thats what you meaan by lite..idk.

So ya Vindictus is what i would recommend...you in your buddy would probably have a blast grouping in that game.

Finding a game thats open world..with lite pve might be kinda tuff to find. unlless of coarse your lookin for a sandbox style game..which there isnt really any good ones..but if so than FE would probably be your best bet.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

From what you ask for with the emphasis on open world and the fact you enjoyed UO I'd really only recommend Dawntide. It's open beta and feels sparse but it sounds almost exactly what you want, so try it and see.

• SeinaruSeinaru Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 109

Sounds like Mabinogi to me. It's a sandbox game with no classes, only skills that you level up. It also has strategic yet actiony combat system so you won't be pressing tab+1+2+3. As far as quests, there are tutorial quests (run out quickly) and main storyline quests, but little else besides those. The main storyline quests give rewards that make them almost necessary to do (not in terms of exp, but in terms of like, bonus skills), but you can tackle them whenever you want. PvP is completely optional; there are duels, guild vs. guild, and a faction-based world pvp system that you can turn off at any time.

• s34s0nss34s0ns Member UncommonPosts: 83

The only answer is Asheron's Call.

The quests area actually quests, they take days to weks to complete and are optional. It's awesome.

"In life we are all turds, some sink and some float but in the end we all get flushed."

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Sounds like Diablo 2?

Almost no quests at all, just dungeon grinding and character/gear building.

Obviously that isn't an MMO, but it fits well for just 2 players (out dated graphics).  However, from the sounds of things i'm not sure why 2 buddies need an MMO.  Is it the simple fact that you "could" group with people but don't that attracts you to MMO?  If you aren't playing with 20+ people it doesn't seem like an MMO to me (aka Raiding).  2-5 friends who group together and run around with eachother only can be done in Diablo, Borderlands, heck... just about any console style game supports multiplayer between a few friends!

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

Anything pre WoW.

Ranting but WoW changed MMO's from worlds to explore to a game that you are lead around by the nose.

Personal favorites are EQ and AO.  Yes there are quests but they are more focused on just killing stuff.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by Zzad

Wait for Guild Wars 2  ;)

This....^^^^

I'm waiting anxiously for GW2 myself. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• spinesplitspinesplit Member Posts: 115

You only do a few key quests in Lineage 2. Other than that you just form xp groups and grind mobs.There is open world pvp but people will generally leave you alone as long as you are not kill stealing their mobs and taking their xp spot.Its a bit of a grind to level at higher levels of the game though but its improved a ton over the years.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i'd highly recommend Vanguard. most of my time ingame is spent rambling the countryside harvesting, exploring, killing things, and occasionally questing.

the pop is small, Telon is the server to choose, but once im in a guild i turn the guildchat on and it solves the 'social' problem for me.

very helpful community, it was a trainwreck at launch, but has improved greatly, and our CSR Naylie has said that since the shutting down of SWG there has been a lot of internal discussion on the roadmap for Vanguard now that they have a few devs leftover from SWG.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Insomniaq

If you don't mind the dated graphics and have never tried it before, you might want to give the AC trial a go. The quests are really only to get items and/or experience, but most of the time the experience gains aren't even as efficient as jumping into a dungeon with a friend and clearing the whole thing (if you can...)

Some of my fondest MMO memories come out of AC!

Pssh if you don't mind dated Graphics then UO is exactly what your looking for lol. Be what you want, do what you want with very little questing at all involved and a huge world to explore. Though.... the games from 1997. I played for a little over a decade, while I'd love to go back a decade is a long arse time to play an MMO. 

• Unholy28Unholy28 Member UncommonPosts: 9

Try Ashen Empires. Old school game with lots to do on your own and with your buddy.