Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My humble opinion + Rift tryout

laffingsealslaffingseals Member Posts: 4

Hello, laffingseals here with my opinion + a helpful link to try rift (which you will be helping me if you join!!). **I play at SUNREST RP PVP DEFIANT** Napolean if you ever need advice!

The game is like every modern MMO and takes a bow to Everquest, DAOC, And WoW, WAR. People complain the game comes up with nothing new, no it doesn't - and that does not bother me at all. Because it has taken from those four games and improved, added onto, and put its own successful twist on it. I enjoy it tremendously.

What for example? Well, obviously Rifts for one - Public events that everyone can participate in, which in turn you get a tiered currency system that you can get great items. More participation in rift = great loot  (If you need to look at it like that). Among other things this post is not here to talk about, Rift is generally a fun game. Other quick hits, public pvp (which also include quests), Many selection of dungeouns, a massive class system that is basically a "create your own slurpee" kind of system that YOU can make it work by your own playstyle, beautiful graphics with a modern PC and graphics card.

I have to stress that Rift/Trion (the company) is not here to reinvent the wheel or evolve it, just to give it's own version of the wheel if you can go along with my comparison. Community is great in my opinion and experiences, the "recomannded" servers are buzzing with many new players and there is a great guild structure and competition.

Downsides, well imagine every downside of every MMO that's known to man this side of the milky way and that's in Rift. Burnout ,for instance, over some form of grind (quest, pvp, now rifting etc) is human nature. Idiots on the internet, etc etc.

This is basically a headliner, a quick snapshot of some things that interested me and hopefully you to play Rift. Its not flawless, but a very enjoyable game. Im sure there are other posts that are exhaustive on PRO-CON, but just remember 99% MMOs basically follows the same trend - Combat is all spell/cast based, roll based ( Chance-range-possible critical to hit, its not live something like warband) , Grinds, assholes, time spending, and cloning for better or for worse.

{mod edit}

Seals

Comments

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

This "review" doesnt reinvent the wheel either...

You forgot to add...

Why spend hours developing a character if the games developer will discount your achievements and devalue your character as it makes the game easier and easier, cheaper and cheaper for new players ?

It is fun to invest in character development if you know your efforts will not be undermined and you will get some real in game benefit not afforded to common folk.

Just look at the way TRION have discounted their game since launch and the huge % of players that do not resub.

Any character you develop in this game (an the account itself) will be essentially worthless a matter of a few weeks after you have made it.

Caveat Emptor

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

I cancelled my sub, as I had been playing since March. Unfortunately, you get to end game very quickly and other than the first RIFT event. the last one including the current one are FAIL.

My guild has lost 90% of its members from cancelled sub, and Mages are WORTHLESS due to Nerfs.

The joke among players is that the game is "World of Clerics".

Yes, it was fun getting to 50, but then the bottom dropped out.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Mages worthless??

I'm gonna guess you don't play in warfronts as the only thing in warfronts are mages and rogues. Maybe 1 or 2 clerics. Sometimes you even have someone silly enough to try to bring a warrior.

Mages tank better than warriors in PvP, because of how much they are able to heal themselves. In PvE mages hold their own. I don't know what NERF you're talking about it. I wish they would nerf mages, and bring them in line with warrriors. Then you truly would have a NERF. Also, a lot of people consider the chloromancer to be on par with cleric's healing capability. Not to mention your adding dps instead of just healing.

Yes, there are a lot of clerics. How is this a bad thing? You're complaining about too many clerics???????????? Please stop.

IMO, if Trion would make tanks a fun role to play Trion would have a game that could rival WoW. Sadly, no one wants to play a tank, because they are dull but take a crap load of work to play. A poorly played tank is worthless, but a poorly played DPS is actually OK. Lots of work, but no reward. Even in PvP warriors are just not good. They can't take the hits, the have limited range to even hit someone, and constantly end up at the bottom of the damage done list.

Currently, Rift has loads of mages, rogues and clerics running around, but its missing a core class: warrior. There is a reason for that. Or you could say Rift has loads of healers and DPS, but no one is willing to play a tank, since different classes can play different roles.

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

Goleorn... you are naive because you dont have enough experience of RIFT to have an especially rounded opinion of the game.

There were plenty of all classes until they started duming down all the content, nerfing and giving the game away to peasants for a fraction of what it cost people at the launch that was only a few months ago.

The empty servers and reams of guild members that no longer log on, the empty towns etc all tell the real story...

Caveat Emptor

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Thunderballs

This "review" doesnt reinvent the wheel either...

You forgot to add...

Why spend hours developing a character if the games developer will discount your achievements and devalue your character as it makes the game easier and easier, cheaper and cheaper for new players ?

It is fun to invest in character development if you know your efforts will not be undermined and you will get some real in game benefit not afforded to common folk.

Just look at the way TRION have discounted their game since launch and the huge % of players that do not resub.

Any character you develop in this game (an the account itself) will be essentially worthless a matter of a few weeks after you have made it.

Very negative... yet so true!

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

The game itself also runs like complete garbage.

• PorlekPorlek Member Posts: 9

Trion certainly haven't reinvented the wheel, what they have done is looked at other wheels and after borrowing heavily from the designs have managed to produce a triangular wheel.  This game may look pretty but that's all there is to it.  It doesn't work very well as an MMO.

Rifts?  Nice idea on paper - quite fun for your first two or three - then boring and annoying.

The questing is particularly poor.  "Go to X and kill 10 Y's" is about it.  It takes more skill to play Pacman or Frogger.  Only Pacman and Frogger have more storylines. 

If you like to do nothing more than to hit a kill button repeatedly on a pretty looking game, maybe Rift is okay, however to me it had as much going for it as playing with a very shiny abacus.

This game, I feel, will soon disappear up it's own, ahem, rift, where it belongs.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I enjoyed the journey, but why must developers insist that end-game game-play of accomplishing a Raid by having to sit in your chair uninteruppted for 2-hours, then repeating the same Raid content over and over is considered nourishing entertainment?  It's the epitome of shallow to me.  Perhaps why ~ 70% of box purchasers dont remain beyond 3-6 months anymore.

Thats a major reason for my departure from Rift, and a concern as to why I wont last 2-months in SWTOR and other mmorpgs anymore.  Developers looking for rats to run the same maze ad-nauseum.

I recommend Rift for the Journey, but if your extended entertainment expecations are greater than running on a treadmill while having to sit stationary for a couple-hours once at end-game to compete for gear, then chalk it up as a good single-player rpg.