Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If SOE brought back pre-CU SWG....

1235»

Comments

• willvaswillvas Member Posts: 137

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by saleen

The whole reason SOE enacted the NGE was because no one was playing this damned game, despite having one of the strongest IPs on the market.

If as many people had played as now whinge about it they wouldnt ever have had to do it.

Pre-CU game was packed with people. Every major city you went to was loaded.  Once they got people to move out of them.

I am sure it was in it's early days.

Didnt last though, hence Lucasarts forcing the NGE.

actually NO...

as of publish 14.... which was right before the CU...  star wars galaxies still had 200k subs.  SOE devs openly admitted that they didnt give a rats behind about those 200k subs... that SOE was after some mythical millions.. ie. WOWs population.

they figured they would lose the current playerbase of 200k and gain more.. but they were wrong.  obviously ...  some guy accounted for 10k people playing SWG right now.  I went back to bloodfin and it was a ghost town.  very few poeple around... on a weekend night. 

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by willvas

Originally posted by saleen

The whole reason SOE enacted the NGE was because no one was playing this damned game, despite having one of the strongest IPs on the market.

If as many people had played as now whinge about it they wouldnt ever have had to do it.

Pre-CU game was packed with people. Every major city you went to was loaded.  Once they got people to move out of them.

I am sure it was in it's early days.

Didnt last though, hence Lucasarts forcing the NGE.

actually NO...

as of publish 14.... which was right before the CU...  star wars galaxies still had 200k subs.  SOE devs openly admitted that they didnt give a rats behind about those 200k subs... that SOE was after some mythical millions.. ie. WOWs population.

they figured they would lose the current playerbase of 200k and gain more.. but they were wrong.  obviously ...  some guy accounted for 10k people playing SWG right now.  I went back to bloodfin and it was a ghost town.  very few poeple around... on a weekend night. 

10 k is pretty close to accurate.

sum

9056               number of officers in all server        

3115 avg

28 avg

http://swg.activeframe.de/bb-std/tp-en/main.12.html

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by eagle4x4

I wouldn't play anything else and I would probably be divorced shortly thereafter.

Haha, I agree. Pre-CU SWG is the best MMO I have ever played, and I've played pretty much EVERYTHING. Runes of Magic, World of Warcraft, Asherons Call 1 & 2, Everquest 1 & 2, Anarchy Online, Ryzom Online, Knights Online, Warhammer Online, LOTRO, Age of Conan, etc etc. 

Pre-CU was simply the shit. Dynamic crafting (one persons Super Uber Blaster might be more powerful than the other guys Super Uber Blaster that might have more durability or more shots per second), actually WORKING to become a jedi (those of you who actually became one know how difficult this was). No MMO to date even compares to Pre-CU.

Now this rant has caused me to be late to class, lol

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by travdoty

I wouldn't play anything else and I would probably be divorced shortly thereafter.

Haha, I agree. Pre-CU SWG is the best MMO I have ever played, and I've played pretty much EVERYTHING. Runes of Magic, World of Warcraft, Asherons Call 1 & 2, Everquest 1 & 2, Anarchy Online, Ryzom Online, Knights Online, Warhammer Online, LOTRO, Age of Conan, etc etc. 

Pre-CU was simply the shit. Dynamic crafting (one persons Super Uber Blaster might be more powerful than the other guys Super Uber Blaster that might have more durability or more shots per second), actually WORKING to become a jedi (those of you who actually became one know how difficult this was). No MMO to date even compares to Pre-CU.

Now this rant has caused me to be late to class, lol

Weapon tweaks were a great thing in this game. It's a shame few other MMOs really understand the epicness of having them. Aside from SWG, I think maybe a MUD named Medievia was the only other game I've played that took advantage of the concept.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I wonder how much money you, and others like you, have wasted in an attempt to find a game like SoE once had. I bet SoE would love to have had that $ instead of all the other companies. You gotta wonder what kinda boost the NGE gave OTHER companies.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by TUX426

I wonder how much money you, and others like you, have wasted in an attempt to find a game like SoE once had. I bet SoE would love to have had that $ instead of all the other companies. You gotta wonder what kinda boost the NGE gave OTHER companies.

I think in my case they missed out on thousands of dollars.  I had two accounts when the NGE hit and I've bounced around quite a bit from different mmo's since then.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Soe is still working on their business model of getting money from customers without having to deal with the hassle of having customers. 

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Daffid011

Soe is still working on their business model of getting money from customers without having to deal with the hassle of having customers. 

They made great strides last week in EQ2. They at least figured a way to not have me for a customer.  Guess they are still working on how to get money out of me.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• kuraikenshinkuraikenshin Member Posts: 47

They could bring back Pre-CU, but they'd never be able to bring back my old guild.

Game was heavily flawed. Had it's definate plusses, but I know I'd only play for so long before resubbing to WoW.

ToR is going to be the shiznit.

• ToteLeeLostToteLeeLost Member Posts: 41

If SOE brought back the SWG that existed before holocrons, before player Jedis, I would subscribe.  I have no interest in Bioware's Star Wars or SWG as it is now...

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

MMORPGs that I played after leaving SWG:  Guild Wars, Lineage II, Sword of the New World (first experience with MT... wow), EVE, Age of Conan (hooray for hype), LOTRO, Warhammer Online, Star Trek Online.  I can pick 'em, can't I?

The only one that I played longer than SWG was LOTRO.  But even that I left after some recent bit of news and direction Turbine is taking.

A few months ago I cancelled my last sub for any MMORPG, STO.  For the first time in years, I have no sub, I'm not playing any F2P.

I just haven't found anything even similiar to what I was looking for like from Pre-CU/NGE SWG.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Y'know, as much as you guys complain and bash TOR (and pretty much any new game, though you seem to have finally accepted that TOR is not SWG2), I do feel sorry. You've tasted heaven and now you're left with us mortals. I didn't play, so I don't know what "the most perfect awesome MMO social simulator (I'm not going to call it a game)" felt like. Ignorance is bliss. I can move on with the genre and enjoy what it has to offer, while you guys are constantly plagued by what was - and what you wish could be once again.

The worst part is, from your descriptions, it sounds like a game I would've loved, too.

/hugs

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Comnitus

Y'know, as much as you guys complain and bash TOR (and pretty much any new game, though you seem to have finally accepted that TOR is not SWG2), I do feel sorry. You've tasted heaven and now you're left with us mortals. I didn't play, so I don't know what "the most perfect awesome MMO social simulator (I'm not going to call it a game)" felt like. Ignorance is bliss. I can move on with the genre and enjoy what it has to offer, while you guys are constantly plagued by what was - and what you wish could be once again.

The worst part is, from your descriptions, it sounds like a game I would've loved, too.

/hugs

The game was great when it was released. But If it were released today, no I would not play it. Can't wait for TOR though ...which will be nothing like it unfortunately. But, oh well.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

/hugs

It was far from "perfect"...nothing is "perfect" - but the depth, the scope, the dependency on others, languages, slicing, trainers, training others, hybrids, skill points, bankable XP...HELL to balance, but even without "dungeons" and "quests" or your traditional "WoW" content, it was never boring and never dull. It did lack "directed" content, but it was a Star Wars simulator that was well beyond it's time IMO.

• cdtcpl420cdtcpl420 Member Posts: 4

/hugs

It was far from "perfect"...nothing is "perfect" - but the depth, the scope, the dependency on others, languages, slicing, trainers, training others, hybrids, skill points, bankable XP...HELL to balance, but even without "dungeons" and "quests" or your traditional "WoW" content, it was never boring and never dull. It did lack "directed" content, but it was a Star Wars simulator that was well beyond it's time IMO.

It was far from perfect, but as my friend said "It let players be players".  My friend and I have hopped to a few different MMO's, but we miss Pre-CU SWG.  The closest thing to raiding was Krayt Dragons, we used to spend time just exploring the planets looking for new and interesting places to put a house to live a while.  When one of us got the crafting bug the other would go pure DPS so we could plan harvesters in the locations with the best minerals no matter what creatures were around it.  We used to go into cantina's for the buffs and because on Ahazi server we had some really entertaining entertainers.  One guy had several song macro'ed and so if you stayed there long enough you would get the entire song.

Guild wars in the game were epic as well.  We used to have wars declared and they would forget to block our guild from their shuttle list.  Next thing you know we would invade full force and have it out!  Sometimes we would win, sometimes we would lose, but either way it was fun.  And the guild wars on the servers were of epic proportions, your enemies could literally be anywhere.  You just got off a ship in port?  BAM, load to a dead screen.  Leaving your house after putting in some new furniture?  Sniper and Bounty Hunter team takes you down!  The best part was they were set for a time limit, so like 72 hours, so for 3 days you had to watch your back!  We even had the rare occasion where we could get multiple guilds to engage so everyone could kill everyone and during those it was attack and defend in your personal cities!

Crafting was the best I have ever experienced.  While players could not create their own items, they could control the quality of those items.  True craftsmen who had pride in their work would pay or find the best materials, practice till their schematic wa perfect, and start producing.  Their efforts were also highly rewarded and word of mouth was HUGE in the game since the AH had a cash limit of 6K so you had to go to their vendors. 

I also remember, and was a participant, in the Wookie Armor protest that crashed several servers!  I played a wookie and for the longest time we had the disadvantage of no additional armor so melee professions could be difficult early on.  Was not odd to see a wookie TK/melee prof for the extra dodge, etc.

The game was far from perfect, and it had bugs.  But to be honest I did not notice most of the bugs people complained about.  What I remember was being an architecht when they finally announced player cities and all of a sudden having a lot of investors helping me with materials and rewarding me with cash to be able to create entire cities upon patch release.  I remember people scrambling to claim their city in either their strategic spot or based on the view.  And the game had some views!

To me, Pre-CU SWG was about the players.  There wasn't much content, and no raiding, because their didn't need to be.  They could have added it, but they would have had to do the same thing they did with Krayts, they dropped enhancements you could add to weapons/armor, but didn't drop any themselves.  Everything was player made and player run.  Didn't like what someone was doing?  You could literally leave and start somewhere new.  Didn't like your profession?  Start a new one and lose nothing/transfer nothing to a new character with a different name.  Players mattered Pre-CU, afterwards they mattered less, after NGE they didn't matter at all.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Now SWG NGE havs been sentenced to death  and is about to be executed, what do you think?

• HadeanHadean Member Posts: 27

Tempting, but I'd rather start with a clean slate and give SWTOR a try. SWG left a fairly bitter taste in my mouth.

"If you don't take care of your customers somebody else will."

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please don't necro old threads. Locking.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.