Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

9 Things you won't see in other MMOs - gamepro.com article

King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/220745/nine-things-in-guild-wars-2-that-you-wont-see-in-other-mmos/

Of the 9 listed I have to say the questing still stands out as something truly unique. But the weapon skills and item upgrade information was nice to be reminded of as well.

The lack of healers and the L4D "help me up" mechanics I dunno about personally. I like change, I accept all forms of it. But how quick of a jaunt are we expected to have in Guild Wars 2 missions / quests / time playing?

I play a lot of games that start and end within 20 minutes or so. Still I was hoping for something more absorbing in GW2. If I'm up on my feet all the time breezing enemies all the way to the end; all the dynamic content in the world can't make up for an easy game session.

Or do I have a skewed perspective here?

What on the list stands out to you? What do you think isn't all that impressive?

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

"A more dynamic world" is the most important feature for Alot. And gradual death, well... nice to have, but not too interesting.

Alot would like people to talk a bit more about Guild Wars 2's combat system, it is rather unique, since it's a hybrid between RNG-based tab-targeting and traditional action-based twitchy combat.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

grin!just because player dont speak a lot about a game doesnt mean it wont be popular.5 million + player in gw 1 didnt come out of thin air.guildwars maker earned those the hard way convincing their boss alone was an almost death sentance and even when they were in this exprience their boss went in kicking and screaming the whole way till guildwars maker proved them that gw1 was a success.so i dont sweat it gw2 will be a success just with the exgw1 player alone ,if more come(ex-wow player)it could had 10 of million of player to the gw2 pool of player lolif not then we ll still be around 5 or 6 million!

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Ten.

Races that finally break the mold and can't be matched up to anything else out there. You'll never be able to do a direct comparison between a race in Guild Wars 2 and that of any other game. (Even the humans, usually the least interesting, have a Renaissance Italy theme going on which no other MMORPG has tried, thus giving them a more rich experience than you'd find elsewhere.) Real thought has gone into making them both interesting and unique to Guild Wars. The race options you'll find here can't be mirrored by any other game. Considering that your race is a representation of whom you are in the game, having something that feels original and refreshing is important.

Eleven.

Lore that isn't a joke. They actually have a writer and games system designer on their team - Jeff Grubb. And he's just one of many. This can be seen in the world in regards to consistent lore. So you don't have people pulling mechanical animals out of their arses that they didn't have the resources or means to construct, you have an industrial revolution and factories which are capable of producing these things. There's a degree of consistency in lore that I've not seen in any other MMORPG I've played. This is important to me. i know.

Twelve.

Aesthetics. Lots of MMORPGs base themselves on either simply having a lot of something or having a great graphics engine. But the sad part is is that there just aren't that many truly, truly great looking MMORPGs out there. In fact, I could probably count the MMORPGs where aesthetics and art design truly matter on one hand. But even they pale in comparison to Guild Wars 2. And from what I've seen, Guild Wars pales in comparison to Guild Wars 2 as well. We're in for a truly lovely visual feast.

Thirteen.

Discovery. Since the dawn of single-player games, developers have been throwing in odd little things to find. Anyone remember the mudcrab merchant in Morrowind? However, this has been sorely lacking in MMORPGs, I can't think of one single MMORPG where you've just gone out exploring with the expectation of finding something. It's usually just questing. One example of how this differs in Guild Wars 2 is that you might find a bunch of broken pillars, leaping on them one at a time might lead you up to a ledge with a hidden cave entrance concealed behind some hanging moss and the like. Heading into it and dropping down into the cave within, you may find the lost den of a bunch of pirates. Now undead pirates. And this would start a dynamic event.

( Just felt i wanted to add a few more. C: )

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I will wait and see if some of this dynamic content isn't just glorified public quests.  Not  saying it isn't doable, people have played with such things for year. 

Even UO experimented with ecology  before release on techiques from the Artifical Life research of the day.  UO didn't use it because they determined that players would just kill everything and such an ecology was a waste of time (in game time, still fun to do).  You can see the research in volumes of Artifical Life proceedings if you can still find them.

Quests that can fail to has been needed for a long time.  swtor will have branching quests so I imagine gw2 will also have those.  It's all story and having branching is great imo.

Freedom to party however you want, IMO, City of Heroes certainly had that.

Make  your own equipment sets, well why not just have a system of forever improving items?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

@waynejr

Noap. Champions Online has that, but not City of Heroes. Reason being was that unlike Champs, CoH was unfortunately a holy trinity game that centred around the tank, the DPS, and the healer. Which means that you'd always need 'em. Which means that you couldn't group as you want. When an article says 'group however you want,' what they're really saying is 'grouping without having to worry about some kind of absurd trinity.'

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

@waynejr

Noap. Champions Online has that, but not City of Heroes. Reason being was that unlike Champs, CoH was unfortunately a holy trinity game that centred around the tank, the DPS, and the healer. Which means that you'd always need 'em. Which means that you couldn't group as you want. When an article says 'group however you want,' what they're really saying is 'grouping without having to worry about some kind of absurd trinity.'

You could group in CoH without a healer. We did it all the time. 

In fact I mostly remember hero side only ever having a controller here and there, a squid or two, and a ton of scrappers.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Ten.

Races that finally break the mold and can't be matched up to anything else out there. You'll never be able to do a direct comparison between a race in Guild Wars 2 and that of any other game. (Even the humans, usually the least interesting, have a Renaissance Italy theme going on which no other MMORPG has tried, thus giving them a more rich experience than you'd find elsewhere.) Real thought has gone into making them both interesting and unique to Guild Wars. The race options you'll find here can't be mirrored by any other game. Considering that your race is a representation of whom you are in the game, having something that feels original and refreshing is important.

Eleven.

Lore that isn't a joke. They actually have a writer and games system designer on their team - Jeff Grubb. And he's just one of many. This can be seen in the world in regards to consistent lore. So you don't have people pulling mechanical animals out of their arses that they didn't have the resources or means to construct, you have an industrial revolution and factories which are capable of producing these things. There's a degree of consistency in lore that I've not seen in any other MMORPG I've played. This is important to me. i know.

I don't think I can agree with the races portion. A pseudo steampunk / age of discovery setting has been pretty popular in video games in general. Humans, beasties, pretty things, and small things seems kind of typical. Probably another disappointing aspect for those who want more contrasts than comparisons. But nice try tho'.

Is that a jab at WoW? You do know Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 2, and to a lesser extent 3; had pretty extensive reasonings for mechanical devices existing in their lore right? Why praise GW and bash WoW when there's merit for both of their lore? 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Ten.

Eleven.

Twelve.

Aesthetics. Lots of MMORPGs base themselves on either simply having a lot of something or having a great graphics engine. But the sad part is is that there just aren't that many truly, truly great looking MMORPGs out there. In fact, I could probably count the MMORPGs where aesthetics and art design truly matter on one hand. But even they pale in comparison to Guild Wars 2. And from what I've seen, Guild Wars pales in comparison to Guild Wars 2 as well. We're in for a truly lovely visual feast.

Thirteen.

Discovery. Since the dawn of single-player games, developers have been throwing in odd little things to find. Anyone remember the mudcrab merchant in Morrowind? However, this has been sorely lacking in MMORPGs, I can't think of one single MMORPG where you've just gone out exploring with the expectation of finding something. It's usually just questing. One example of how this differs in Guild Wars 2 is that you might find a bunch of broken pillars, leaping on them one at a time might lead you up to a ledge with a hidden cave entrance concealed behind some hanging moss and the like. Heading into it and dropping down into the cave within, you may find the lost den of a bunch of pirates. Now undead pirates. And this would start a dynamic event.

( Just felt i wanted to add a few more. C: )

Not to bash, but: 11 - opinion, 12 - opinion, 13 - wrong (even WoW has had discovery items).

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

@waynejr

NOPE. Champions Online has that, but not City of Heroes. Reason being was that unlike Champs, CoH was unfortunately a holy trinity game that centred around the tank, the DPS, and the healer. Which means that you'd always need 'em. Which means that you couldn't group as you want. When an article says 'group however you want,' what they're really saying is 'grouping without having to worry about some kind of absurd trinity.'

I played COH for years.  We grouped with any combination at will.  It was the best pug grouping game of it's day.

You have a different opinion, that's fine. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Thirteen.

Discovery. Since the dawn of single-player games, developers have been throwing in odd little things to find. Anyone remember the mudcrab merchant in Morrowind? However, this has been sorely lacking in MMORPGs, I can't think of one single MMORPG where you've just gone out exploring with the expectation of finding something. It's usually just questing.

I also disagree w 13

Ive seen it in eq, doac, eq2, wow classic, rift, free realms and probably more mmos that dont immediately come to mind

they range from special merchants, nameds, or just hidden spots to look at off the beaten path

-- nothing to do with quests