Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wishful Thinking...

RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

Since SWG is going to have it's plug pulled soon was thinking about my favorite aspect of this game and thought it would be a very neat addition to TOR.  My favorite part of SWG was not the space cobat or the quest system or even the normal fighting of the game.... it was the pet system.  The Bio-Engineer skills were awsome in that you had to create a lab, gather up and purchase DNA and hydros, obtain some sort of power source to fuel it all and then put them all together to create a new pet egg.  This pet engineering was so well thought out and detailed you could create all sorts of normal pets from DNA you extracted from mobs you had killed or if you were lucky enough you may get a mutated pet with a different skin than it's parents.  This one aspect of the game never gew tired or boring to me simply because you never knew what would happen or what you would end up with.  Of all the things SWG offered, I think I will miss this most of all.

Ratero.

Comments

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Seems we won't even have display pets @launch in TOR so I would not dream about it before a looong time.

Before that they would add minigames like pazaak and pod racing and I guess multiplayer space combat. So the pet system, if ever will be dow the list

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Given MMO industry trends, you're more likely to end up with mini-pets in the cash shop.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I'm not a big one for the whole mini-pets, but this could be a fun system to play with I think.  Maybe as an "Occupation" instead of a crew skill?  Anyways, sounds fun.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

There are just two things I would want to take from SWG that won't be in TOR.

1.) Skill point system. SWG DID have the right idea when it came to building your character. I liked the fact that you couldn't tell what your opponent was just from first glance. A Bounty Hunter could be anything from a Brawler to a Rifleman with any typed of armour configuration. I had a lot of fun experimenting around with that until finally sticking with Pistoleer. I think TOR is really limiting itself by making Bounty Hunters pistol and armourments only. 

2.) Player Bounties.   Once I got to end game this kept me occupied for hundreds of hours trying to master. TOR could put this(and other profession specific Player vs Player content) on PVP only servers and be spared all the carebear whining that SWG had to deal with from people who don't like forced PVP.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• blacksnshs01blacksnshs01 Member Posts: 1

Skill based systems are fine, I have no opinion on this. All I can add is that Bioware has stated they want systems that the magority of MMO player are used to. Talent trees with a Bioware twist. They don't want a new system were most players will have to learn it.

And as for player bounties, they have stated they'd love to do them, but then they'd need a similar system in place for every other character class in game. So unless Bioware can come up with a lore based reason to let jedi hunt other players then sorry your not going to get it.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Rhonen

Since SWG is going to have it's plug pulled soon was thinking about my favorite aspect of this game and thought it would be a very neat addition to TOR.  My favorite part of SWG was not the space cobat or the quest system or even the normal fighting of the game.... it was the pet system.  The Bio-Engineer skills were awsome in that you had to create a lab, gather up and purchase DNA and hydros, obtain some sort of power source to fuel it all and then put them all together to create a new pet egg.  This pet engineering was so well thought out and detailed you could create all sorts of normal pets from DNA you extracted from mobs you had killed or if you were lucky enough you may get a mutated pet with a different skin than it's parents.  This one aspect of the game never gew tired or boring to me simply because you never knew what would happen or what you would end up with.  Of all the things SWG offered, I think I will miss this most of all.

Ratero.

Never going to happen.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by waynejr2

Ratero.

Never going to happen.

Also it didn't quite work that way.

But Bio-Engineer was one of my favorite classes ever, so we can always hope something similar shows up someday.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Ratero.

If you want a Spore mini game just come out and say it :) ....

I really hope for SWTOR and one thing is for sure the minute any player mentions SWG and starts the NGE whine they will be on auto ignore , I am in it for the fun . I am yet to come accross a stable SWG vet.

I am trying to remember something good about SWG , maybe dancing when their was a community but that was a long way back.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

the SWG gives the BEST decorative, storaging system EVER.

And the last months removing the stupid no-trade from almost all items make it greater.

I'll miss all those 3 only.

Hope to see a MMO someday that have all those, i'll go in it with no second thought

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by ktanner3
    2.) Player Bounties.   Once I got to end game this kept me occupied for hundreds of hours trying to master. TOR could put this(and other profession specific Player vs Player content) on PVP only servers and be spared all the carebear whining that SWG had to deal with from people who don't like forced PVP.

One of my best game memories from my time in MMO's, but I dont think we'll ever see it in TOR, and probably rightfully so, but like you said, it definitely doesnt stop me from wishing it was in-game.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Baikal

One of my best game memories from my time in MMO's, but I dont think we'll ever see it in TOR, and probably rightfully so, but like you said, it definitely doesnt stop me from wishing it was in-game.

Think the biggest problem with player bounties is finding a way that it isn't easily exploitable.

Guy get 4 people. Kills 3 of them, lets 4th guy turn in, lets 4th guy kill him, all 4 split the gold (pardon credits) rinse repeat, get money, unbalance the game.

They may put it in later if they can ever find a way to make it not so easy to exploit.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by whilan

Think the biggest problem with player bounties is finding a way that it isn't easily exploitable.
    Guy get 4 people. Kills 3 of them, lets 4th guy turn in, lets 4th guy kill him, all 4 split the gold (pardon credits) rinse repeat, get money, unbalance the game.
    They may put it in later if they can ever find a way to make it not so easy to exploit.

Make the bounty payment its own currency. Make it bound to the BH that earned it. Make all items purchased with said currency bound to that character.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by whilan

Make the bounty payment its own currency. Make it bound to the BH that earned it. Make all items purchased with said currency bound to that character.

Though I rarely take your posts seriously due to your signature, this is one time I think you posted something interesting with regard to the BH. I like that idea. I hope they implement something like that in the future.

There Is Always Hope!