Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT $9.99, CE $14.99

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by marinrider

Worth a bit of time as long as you take it slow and enjoy the sightsinstead of rushing to max.  I'm level 24 currently so take my opinion for the grain of salt that it is.

This is the funniest thing I've seen about Rift, and I've seen it often in chat while people play the game.

I wonder how that would work for anything else:

"Yeah Bill. It's a pretty good car and I know I got charged what a Charger costs, and the top speed is only 50 right now before they finish my turbo attachment. But I just make sure I take it slow and don't go over 50 mph and I use the radio and play with the power windows a lot more."

"I know you I charged you the same price for a hamburger that Burger King and McDonald's charge and ours is much smaller. But it's a pretty damn good burger, so just put some extra lettuce and pickles and salt on it and eat it slower."

"This house costs as much as the house down the street and is going to have all the same features as the others one day, they just aren't done yet. So I bought it now and I'm taking it slow and enjoying the bottom floor until they finish the stairs so I can go upstairs."

Intentionally playing games slow. Interesting concept.

I dont think your understanding me.  By playing the game slow I'm saying that you shouldnt simply power level through the game because your obviously going to be bored by the end because you made it there so quickly.  I've played my fair share of mmos to know what I'm talking about.  Right now I've been just running around and doing rifts, invasions, pvp, crafting, looking for shinies, and achievement hunting and I've made it about 30 hours into the game at level 25 now.  At that conversion rate (and take into consideration I have many more hours of play available to me) I'm getting a lot more for my money than a lot of games I would normally buy.  I made it through arkham asylum in or under 20 hours give or take.

And you can not compare an MMO to something like a house or many other consumer products, the purpose isnt the same at all.  You buy many things like a microwave and know that what you are buying is all that it will ever be, thus you know what you are buying.  You buy an mmo knowing what it is currently and what it CAN be.  I'm not trying to imply that you should hinder yourself while playing mmos but rather enjoy all that there is to enjoy on the road.

I drive between Houston and Lubbock, TX a few times a year and I find that drive much more enjoyable when I'm not rushing to finish (it takes about 7 hours when I rush).  If I stop somewhere with my girlfriend and we enjoy a nice picnic for lunch or to check out some local shops then yes the trip will take longer but will also be much more enjoyable.  Its the same concept.

People pay $9 for a movie thats an hour and twenty minutes when instead they could go pay $9 to go see a two and a half hour movie like Lord of the rings so why dont they?  Maybe they like what the other movie is about, but maybe they dont like lord of the rings and its the same concept.  I would rather buy Alan Wake knowing there will be some cool DLCs than go and buy GTAIV because I dont like GTA even though there is more content in that game.

Its an opinion, but rift is a good game and has potential not to mention devs that can pump content out that appears to be better coded in half the tmie.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

9.99 is a good deal, but it doesnt come with 1 month free? you have to pay extra $15? If it is then I am not touching it

Can some1 clarify plz the website wont load for me.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by cagan

9.99 is a good deal, but it doesnt come with 1 month free? you have to pay extra $15? If it is then I am not touching it

Correct, free month not included. 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Rift would be more worth my time with a monthly sub of 10.00 a month, but as of right now, the game plays like a three year old copy of WoW with higher resolution textures.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Retention rate for Rift must be extremely low with all the free trials, sales, and discounts.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You get a trinket that gives xp bonus until level 20 makes you wonder if a good lawyer could make a case ouf of that statement.

No free month is a joke.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Sounded like a really good deal at first, but that's when I thought some free time was included in the $9.99 one.

I find it funny that the one that comes with a "free" month is $24.99, $15 more is not exactly free now is it.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

wow thanx, I was driving to best buy to buy one, not gonna bother, will get smthg from steam instead

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

wow thanx, I was driving to best buy to buy one, not gonna bother, will get smthg from steam instead

They've changed it now, now you pay 24.99 but get a month with it lol.  Still cheaper then buying it anywhere else right now.

Not really sure if the game is worth it thought tbh...feel like I wouldn't play it all that much.

• Originally posted by popinjay

Worth a bit of time as long as you take it slow and enjoy the sightsinstead of rushing to max.  I'm level 24 currently so take my opinion for the grain of salt that it is.

This is the funniest thing I've seen about Rift, and I've seen it often in chat while people play the game.

"Yeah Bill. It's a pretty good car and I know I got charged what a Charger costs, and the top speed is only 50 right now before they finish my turbo attachment. But I just make sure I take it slow and don't go over 50 mph and I use the radio and play with the power windows a lot more."

"I know you I charged you the same price for a hamburger that Burger King and McDonald's charge and ours is much smaller. But it's a pretty damn good burger, so just put some extra lettuce and pickles and salt on it and eat it slower."

"This house costs as much as the house down the street and is going to have all the same features as the others one day, they just aren't done yet. So I bought it now and I'm taking it slow and enjoying the bottom floor until they finish the stairs so I can go upstairs."

Given how many posts you have, I'm surprised people have to explain this to you. I've been playing Rift from headstart and I'm at level 45.

In a very real way, all MMOs try to get you "addicted" to playing. Rift is no exception. There is that sweet levelling up moment, with new skills to try and maybe new armour you can wear, that comes thick and fast in the beginning. It is hard to resist the urge to level up as fast as you can to get to the "good stuff".

The "good stuff" though isn't all that different from the stuff around you, from about level 15. And in fact, if you play less intensively, so that you are open to being social and can just wander around and explore when you feel like it, then Rift is an exceptional game.

I love the RIfts and Invasions, but I only really play on the weekends, so they have stayed fresh.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by popinjay

You're just tossing out random analogies and missing the point. When you fly through the game just to get to 50, you SKIP a large amount of reading, story, lore, and other experiences. In fact your examples are more of an argument for taking your time in the game rather then against it.. It would be dumb to buy a Charger if you just wanted to drive like a grandma, as that would be SKIPPING the point of a muscle car, just like it is dumber to buy a RPG online or offline, and skip most of the reading, ignoring the story that RPGs are built around. "Taking it slow" in that analogy equals you enjoying every little thing about it, just like seeing what a Charger can do on an empty stretch of road, and being far from the only time you'll try it. But of course you could just do in Rift what people would do with that Charger... Just unleash it on that one stretch of road just to see how fast you could get to the end, then ditching it alongside the road when you're done. Oh wait, nobody would be that stupid to ditch a Charger so fast. So why do people do it in MMORPGs? lol

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

You're just tossing out random analogies and missing the point. When you fly through the game just to get to 50, you SKIP a large amount of reading, story, lore, and other experiences. In fact your examples are more of an argument for taking your time in the game rather then against it.. It would be dumb to buy a Charger if you just wanted to drive like a grandma, as that would be SKIPPING the point of a muscle car, just like it is dumber to buy a RPG online or offline, and skip most of the reading, ignoring the story that RPGs are built around. "Taking it slow" in that analogy equals you enjoying every little thing about it, just like seeing what a Charger can do on an empty stretch of road, and being far from the only time you'll try it. But of course you could just do in Rift what people would do with that Charger... Just unleash it on that one stretch of road just to see how fast you could get to the end, then ditching it alongside the road when you're done. Oh wait, nobody would be that stupid to ditch a Charger so fast. So why do people do it in MMORPGs? lol

There was a story to Rift?  Damn must of missed it on the mad dash to 50 at launch (lol)

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by quentin405

There was a story to Rift?  Damn must of missed it on the mad dash to 50 at launch (lol)

lol yeah, I've even seen a whole series of youtube videos that play out like a bad high school history lesson about Rift lore. I know it's there, but I don't know if it's worth exploring in more detail since I only got to level 15. I'm curious for more, but not feeling fully engaged in playing it out to the end yet.

• AztecAztec Member UncommonPosts: 101

Sadly, even if they paid me to play it at this point. I would not. I am sure someone with some real vision will come along and make a good mmorpg.

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by SpectralHunt

It was originally $9.99 not including game time.  And since posters from all over started saying that it's a bit misleading and quite frankly, unethical, lo and behold, the site has been changed.  It now says $24.99 which includes the first month of gameplay.

I think the game is okay but it's too much like WoW which is why I didn't decide to buy it.  But I'm starting to see more of their marketing techniques and I don't like it.  They don't want to be compared to WoW but they have the whole "You're not in Azeroth" slogan.  Hartsman goes to say there are almost 1 million customers, which isn't the same as subs but his choice of words can create misinformation.  And now this sale where initially you could buy the game but it didn't include the first month.

They would do themselves a favor by being upfront with their statements instead of having their marketing department running the show.

Yeah the part about no time included in Large Bold Print was so deceptive. Actually they are more than ethical because unlike most competitors that put stipulations on another page or in small print they decided to put it in large bold print. Such villians of the MMORPG industry. Saying you don't like  the game is fine but trying to villianize them for something that is obviously written out is just weird. I noticed it right of the bat, which makes me think some people may just not read so well. But yet that is Trion's fault instead of the individual.

• Hal9kHal9k Member UncommonPosts: 38

So tons of people posted in this thread that the father's day deal was just a sham, and one could get it for that price anyway once you factored in the added game play. Well, I have conducted a brief search post-father's day, and that appears to be a load of BS. I do not see it anywhere for even close to the Father's Day price. I'd love to have someone show me these everyday prices that supposedly are so low. I have yet to find it significantly lower than Trion's prices on the site, including Amazon, Gamer's Gate, etc.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Hal9k
    So tons of people posted in this thread that the father's day deal was just a sham, and one could get it for that price anyway once you factored in the added game play. Well, I have conducted a brief search post-father's day, and that appears to be a load of BS. I do not see it anywhere for even close to the Father's Day price. I'd love to have someone show me these everyday prices that supposedly are so low. I have yet to find it significantly lower than Trion's prices on the site, including Amazon, Gamer's Gate, etc.

Guess you missed the deal then. Should have acted on it earlier.

You'll get another chance before long.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Just wait for it to go Freemium so you can play the first few levels for free before you decide to uninstall it.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by ichimarunico

Just wait for it to go Freemium so you can play the first few levels for free before you decide to uninstall it.

What do you base it on going free? Age of Conan isn't even free right now, and Rift has been out for months and still has servers with hige populations and even queues at peak hours. Trion Worlds has a lot of money, they spent $50 million on pre-release of Rift and that was only half of their capital. 

Rift isn't going anywhere.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

How hard did you look?  On Amazon, boxed version is 22.90, and download version is 26.89.  Maybe to you this isn't "even close", but it seems pretty close to me after you factor in the need to spend 14.99 for the father's day price.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

How hard did you look?  On Amazon, boxed version is 22.90, and download version is 26.89.  Maybe to you this isn't "even close", but it seems pretty close to me after you factor in the need to spend 14.99 for the father's day price.

That's true. However, I want the collector's edition, which I should have specified. The jump for the collector's edition from standard during the sale was 7 or 8 dollars. The jump on Amazon and elsewhere is around $25.00

Originally posted by niceguy3978

That's true. However, I want the collector's edition, which I should have specified. The jump for the collector's edition from standard during the sale was 7 or 8 dollars. The jump on Amazon and elsewhere is around $25.00

Is it the boxed CE you are after? You should be paying extra for that, but if it's just the digital CE, I'm going to let you know, you can upgrade an existing standard account to CE for just five dollars.

ORLY?

So you just get the regular version, and then it's an account option, or what?

Not the boxed version, I was going to get the download.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Rift would be more worth my time with a monthly sub of 10.00 a month, but as of right now, the game plays like a three year old copy of WoW with higher resolution textures.

Ye rift has very high resolution textures and quality graphics engine but their Art Direction is so Bad, just look at GW2 how awesome everything looks like.

ORLY?

So you just get the regular version, and then it's an account option, or what?

Not the boxed version, I was going to get the download.

Yeah, there's an option on your account management to upgrade to CE (much like Aion did). It's 4.99 (+ tax in some states). At least, it was a month ago, it could've changed, but I seriously doubt it.