Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will TOR fail heroically?

Comments

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by dougmysticey

Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by Uproar

It won't be a failure -- but it will not be the game many of us have been looking to find.

Not even for Star Wars fanatics.  It will maintain a sufficient following which I expect will be huge at launch -- as always, but won't taper off immediately like many of the recent other Class A releases that were 'failures' such as AOC and WAR, etc.

It will be a must try for many, but I have yet to hear why MMO-fans will continue for years, let alone a year.  I expect Star Wars fan will be here for life (2-3 years)-- and there are quite a number of those.

Why did players of WoW play for years? TOR has more content at launch than WoW did at launch. People who think this game will quickly die out due to a lack of content just aren't paying attention. TOR will have more content at launch than AoC and WAR combined, not to mention that both those games died out quickly due to poor launches in which the games were incomplete messes while Bioware seems to be going out of their way to avoid making THAT mistake.

Correct me if I mistate this but Bioware has noted a number of things supporting the above. One was that each class has some 200 hours of content outside PVP, social hubs, raids, etc. They also noted that Tatooine alone is the size of 8 zones in World of Warcraft. They said that TOR is the size of all of the Bioware games put together. That is fairly huge.

If the content is quality (being Bioware I am hoping for that) then it should keep people playing for some time.

200 hours each class, but it's probably with other stuff included not just the class story. Anyway theres 8 class stories to experience which will take alot of time for those wanting to play everything.

There are 3 warzones (instances) announced and they are much probably working on more.

There will be open world PvP lakes, we still don't know details about it but it's confirmed.

The crafting system is more in-depth than WoW or other themeparked MMO outhere, no it's not as  in depth as  SWG or EVE.

There are 5 flashpoints announced so far and there will be more at launch, some of them are high lvl flashpoints.

One raid as been announced and they are working on more.

And theres alot of world content for groups, etc.

The 7-8 WoW zones was said about Alderaan not Tatooine, but still there are small and big zones in WoW so i wouldn't read to much into that. I expect the game to be the size of WoW vanilla or a little bigger which at launch isn't bad at all. WoW is big right now for a themepark MMO but they have 7 years of development after launch and 3 expansions.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by AdamTM

I think it is easier to defned that a game is NOT a WOW clone moreso than whether it IS a clone because a CLONED game would have to be proven to be deliberately copying WOW and not simply applying standards developed by many games that are both MMOs and single or co-op RPGs.

Ok now we are getting somewhere, so a WoW clone would be a deliberate copy of WoW.

This does not exist.

Except if you can objectively prove that a game is a "deliberate" copy, which is impossible unless you can read the minds of the developer or find a memo saying "Bob the developer, copy WoW and be done with it."

I can use any argument (mmo design standards) you use defending TOR for NOT being a wow clone on any other game that someone else would say is a wow-clone.

i.e. WoW clones do not exists then.

Is Dolly a sheep clone or a WOW clone? Wait I am confused..

I have actually made this distinction on the escapist forums not long ago.

There is a discrepancy on how gamers use "clone" as an idiom to convey a large concept (just as someone reviewing a movie would say "a Pulp Fiction it is not" describing a similar aspiring movie) compared to what the word actually means by its dictionary definition, we have to get used to this as our game-language allows for this to happen.

excerpt:

[....]To expand on my biological analogy in the other thread (im sure you remember).

Remember clone-sheep Dolly? It was a clone, a specimen created from the exact DNA as her "mother", yet this sheep was different, it was an individual and had individual characteristics.

The same with TOR, the DNA is the same as WoW but it has unique characteristics.

If you really think that "clone" means "exact copy" you are either wrong and misguided or are trying to create a strawman to shoot down easily.

Nobody is arguing that Bioware pirated the WoW code and re-skinned it.

[....]

[...](Wow-Clone is) as well defined as it can get without a oxford dictionary definition. I've never seen anyone seriously argue that WoW Clone = WoW with new textures. Like i said, its a mental shortcut, a heuristic to convey a very big (sometimes abstract) concept in a short amount of time. WoW became a certain concept of design.[...]

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

Every time I see a new topic of this type I think of chicken little, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

Hard to take, and alot would like to kill yor for it.

But you are 100% true with your pionts, but I dont think that SWTOR will fail like that, it will run it turn maby 2 - 3 years. But if nothing more interesting / and heroically happens in the first 6 mounth then it may only last, 1 - 2 years im a fread.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by darkmyth78

Every time I see a new topic of this type I think of chicken little, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Except Chicken Little didn't want the sky to fall, these posters want TOR to fail. I think they believe if TOR fails then there will be a greater chance that a AAA game of their own preference being made. When a more likely scenario is if TOR fails AAA games may well be a thing of the past and all future MMOs will be developed by small indie companies, which means ALL subgenres will suffer.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but TOR has been under constant attack in MMORPG.com since E3. It just seems like some people are flat out desperate for TOR to fail. Whether it's because they're sandbox fans, GW2 fans, or just haters of all things big and/or corporate like EA and LA. Whatever the case, none of it makes any sense to me.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

This is MMORPG....of COURSE the sky is falling!

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Originally posted by Eliandal

I am pretty sure this is why we pay them.

As to my comments above, I did say it has a good chance to keep a lot of folks interested for a year, but what worries me about it is I see very little ground breaking, or at least no innovation that I go OMG that's cool.  That's so amazing.  That's really a cool new concept!.  Not to say I won't be surprised -- I might be.  I don't think they shot high enough (SWG did, GW2 seems to be, DAOC did), but here's to hoping I am wrong.

Originally posted by Eliandal

I am pretty sure this is why we pay them.

As to my comments above, I did say it has a good chance to keep a lot of folks interested for a year, but what worries me about it is I see very little ground breaking, or at least no innovation that I go OMG that's cool.  That's so amazing.  That's really a cool new concept!.  Not to say I won't be surprised -- I might be.  I don't think they shot high enough (SWG did, GW2 seems to be, DAOC did), but here's to hoping I am wrong.

Outside of the storytelling aspects of the game you're right, there's no great innovations in the game. They have done the same thing that Blizzard did with WoW. They have looked at what worked well in past MMOs and refined it a bit. That's all. Also I think you're kidding yourself if you think GW2 will bring that much innovation into the genre. I'm sure it'll be a good game, maybe even a great one, but I just don't think it adds that much in the way of  innovation.

I've always said that innovation in and of itself is not necessarily a good thing. At the very least it's risky bringing in new concepts to an old genre. It's much better to improve on what's already been established, which is exactly what I think games like TOR and GW2 are trying to do.

• MeDzZMeDzZ Member Posts: 20

Will not fail if they go with theyr own thing, and not make it as people often refeer it to "wow clone".

My beliefs are strong that Bioware will succed for a couple of years and kick wow in the but :)

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by slpr

Originally posted by BarakIII

It won't be a failure -- but it will not be the game many of us have been looking to find.

Not even for Star Wars fanatics.  It will maintain a sufficient following which I expect will be huge at launch -- as always, but won't taper off immediately like many of the recent other Class A releases that were 'failures' such as AOC and WAR, etc.

It will be a must try for many, but I have yet to hear why MMO-fans will continue for years, let alone a year.  I expect Star Wars fan will be here for life (2-3 years)-- and there are quite a number of those.

Why did players of WoW play for years? TOR has more content at launch than WoW did at launch. People who think this game will quickly die out due to a lack of content just aren't paying attention. TOR will have more content at launch than AoC and WAR combined, not to mention that both those games died out quickly due to poor launches in which the games were incomplete messes while Bioware seems to be going out of their way to avoid making THAT mistake.

Correct me if I mistate this but Bioware has noted a number of things supporting the above. One was that each class has some 200 hours of content outside PVP, social hubs, raids, etc. They also noted that Tatooine alone is the size of 8 zones in World of Warcraft. They said that TOR is the size of all of the Bioware games put together. That is fairly huge.

If the content is quality (being Bioware I am hoping for that) then it should keep people playing for some time.

200 hours each class, but it's probably with other stuff included not just the class story. Anyway theres 8 class stories to experience which will take alot of time for those wanting to play everything.

There are 3 warzones (instances) announced and they are much probably working on more.

There will be open world PvP lakes, we still don't know details about it but it's confirmed.

The crafting system is more in-depth than WoW or other themeparked MMO outhere, no it's not as  in depth as  SWG or EVE.

There are 5 flashpoints announced so far and there will be more at launch, some of them are high lvl flashpoints.

One raid as been announced and they are working on more.

And theres alot of world content for groups, etc.

The 7-8 WoW zones was said about Alderaan not Tatooine, but still there are small and big zones in WoW so i wouldn't read to much into that. I expect the game to be the size of WoW vanilla or a little bigger which at launch isn't bad at all. WoW is big right now for a themepark MMO but they have 7 years of development after launch and 3 expansions.

The 200 hours is class story alone. I believe they said including all the world quests and other content you will be looking well into 4 digit numbers for hours.

• tribalworldtribalworld Member CommonPosts: 14

Nope

200 hours for class quests, 1600 if you include all other quests. These are averages, not hard facts.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Given none of us have actually played the game yet there is no real evidence whether it will succeed or fail . So all we can really do is look at Biowares track record and its pretty good . Given the huge budget hopefully it will be spent well and we will have a game thats polished with lots of content . Then factor in the fact that its StarWars and if any franchise could have the potential  (if done well) to wipe the floor with WoW its this . So with all these factors going for it I would say its got every chance of success . I think the chances of it failing are very low but whether it will be a success on the scale of WoW ( at the time of its release)is another matter . I certainly hope so because I would love to see Blizzard knocked of its perch .Don't think I'm alone in wishing that .lol

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82

how come whenever i go to MMORPG's frontpage, there's usually a negative post about this game in the current forum activity section? i'm not following this game at all, but i know it's not out yet so what's up with all the hate?

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Grimrist000

how come whenever i go to MMORPG's frontpage, there's usually a negative post about this game in the current forum activity section? i'm not following this game at all, but i know it's not out yet so what's up with all the hate?

My guess would be in large part fear.  If this game does well, then a lot of "Indie Company" fans will see there companies getting even less funding than they do now.  Then there is the fact that this game might pull some players from other games that are looking to get away from the fantasy setting and going to a scifi game instead.  Also there are the people who are worried that a "Story Based MMO" will ruin there ability to Power Level as fast as possible (I have actually seen dozens of these complaints in various forums now).  Lastly, there is the fear that this will be another crap release, which has been fairly common in the last few years for MMOs. 

So all in all, I think fear is the biggest factor. 

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by GMan3

My guess would be in large part fear.  If this game does well, then a lot of "Indie Company" fans will see there companies getting even less funding than they do now.  Then there is the fact that this game might pull some players from other games that are looking to get away from the fantasy setting and going to a scifi game instead.  Also there are the people who are worried that a "Story Based MMO" will ruin there ability to Power Level as fast as possible (I have actually seen dozens of these complaints in various forums now).  Lastly, there is the fear that this will be another crap release, which has been fairly common in the last few years for MMOs. 

No its not fear.  Its because SWToR is WoW in space and as weve seen over the last several years that any WoW inspired game is doomed to fail and never meet the potintial subscription numbers that an amazingly built innovative and genre redefining MMO can do for the playerbase.

Basically Most of us who played WoW, me included for 6 years, have no intention to replay WoW all over again in new clothes so our angst over SWToR with its almost exact playstyle leaves much to desire. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KordacKordac Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by Zylaxx

No its not fear.  Its because SWToR is WoW in space and as weve seen over the last several years that any WoW inspired game is doomed to fail and never meet the potintial subscription numbers that an amazingly built innovative and genre redefining MMO can do for the playerbase.

Basically Most of us who played WoW, me included for 6 years, have no intention to replay WoW all over again in new clothes so our angst over SWToR with its almost exact playstyle leaves much to desire. 

You could say Mass Effect 2 was nothing but a Gears Of War clone by your reasoning as well then because it shares similar mechanics yet they feel vastly different to play and I believe this is how SWTOR will play as well.

There's been numerous reports from people who've played the game, people who admit to rarely reading the quest descriptions in other MMOs that say Bioware's approach made a real difference to the feel of the game.

Name the credible WoW clones that have failed. I played WoW for 4.5 years and I have every intention of playing SWTOR as do my former guild mates and friends from WoW.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

My guess would be in large part fear. 

Lastly, there is the fear that this will be another crap release, which has been fairly common in the last few years for MMOs. 

I'd say it's fear and hate/aversion, but not the fear that it may be a fail or horrible launch. On the contrary.

They fear that SWTOR might be a success.

And what they really, really  fear is that SWTOR might be a huge success, that there'll be another big AAA themepark title next/secondary to WoW that's bigger than all other MMORPG's, and that their dreams of ever seeing a revival of the sandbox genre or a crash of the themepark subgenre will take a few more steps back and an added couple of years of more waiting for it.

So yes, I'd say that everyone that can only enjoy sandbox oriented MMO's or who have grown burnt out entirely on themepark gameplay, 'hates' and fears for any MMO to be successful that prolongs the popularity and continued success of themepark MMO's, with SWTOR the obvious standard bearer and biggest threat regarding that direction.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SaferSaviourSaferSaviour Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I'd say it's fear and hate/aversion, but not the fear that it may be a fail or horrible launch. On the contrary.

And what they really, really  fear is that SWTOR might be a huge success, that there'll be another big AAA themepark title next/secondary to WoW that's bigger than all other MMORPG's, and that their dreams of ever seeing a revival of the sandbox genre or a crash of the themepark subgenre will take a few more steps back and an added couple of years of more waiting for it.

So yes, I'd say that everyone that can only enjoy sandbox oriented MMO's or who have grown burnt out entirely on themepark gameplay, 'hates' and fears for any MMO to be successful that prolongs the popularity and continued success of themepark MMO's, with SWTOR the obvious standard bearer and biggest threat regarding that direction.

You're being sarcastic, right? You've gotta be.

The best thing for the fans of any entertainment business is competition. SWTOR is competition. It'll likely have a big, successful launch and Blizzard may well respond to that. They may do it with another expansion, they might push forward more details on 'Titan' but in the end, the winners are the fans.

Honestly, I don't think SWTOR is that great a game. Don't get me wrong, it looks polished and well-made, it's IP has a massive fanbase and certain WoW vets are looking for something to jump to. I think the title will do well enough. I don't think it will get anywhere near the numbers of subscribers WoW has. Ever.

If anything is going to rise to WoW's level it'll be GW2, which isn't as much of a 'threat' financially since it's B2P, but all its new innovations, it really is different enough to offer a viable alternative for a long period of time. I think it's payment model will get a lot of attention and box sales will be compared directly to WoW's subscriber base, which is kind of unfair. I'm not sure GW2 will make as much money as WoW, but I'm betting it'll have more players than TOR.

Once more, all this is great for the fans. I want TOR to do well, I want GW2 to do well and I want Blizzard to roll out something special with Titan and freshen up WoW for this newest wave of MMOs. When the developers have to work to keep from losing ground, when they have to work to continually keep up with the competition. We win.

"Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right. This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!"

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

what makes Guild wars 2 so different than WoW? just curious.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by SaferSaviour

Once more, all this is great for the fans. I want TOR to do well, I want GW2 to do well and I want Blizzard to roll out something special with Titan and freshen up WoW for this newest wave of MMOs. When the developers have to work to keep from losing ground, when they have to work to continually keep up with the competition. We win.

Agreed and  thank you!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Deewe

Agreed and  thank you!

Agreed on that agreed :P

Frankly i should think this is what everyone wants.  For everything to suceed, after the problems this genre has had over the last few years, we need every successful title we can possibly get.  If we keep having more and more failures, the investores will just throw their hands up and leave the genre..then not only is the genre stagnant but really dying as well.

Me? i'd love to see the genre i love to play in keep growing, getting more titles that are fun to play in and more diverse as each one becomes successful.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

My guess would be in large part fear. 

Lastly, there is the fear that this will be another crap release, which has been fairly common in the last few years for MMOs. 

It's usually wise to speak for one's self -- not for others.  I am not sure who 'They' are, but I'll go on record stating I both love and hate Wow.  I hate pure sandbox, I hate pure themepark.  I do not fear more successes.  I am tired of seeing failure after failure.  But hey you appareantly post a lot so you must know a lot... yeah. 

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

You're being sarcastic, right? You've gotta be.

The best thing for the fans of any entertainment business is competition. SWTOR is competition. It'll likely have a big, successful launch and Blizzard may well respond to that. They may do it with another expansion, they might push forward more details on 'Titan' but in the end, the winners are the fans.

Honestly, I don't think SWTOR is that great a game. Don't get me wrong, it looks polished and well-made, it's IP has a massive fanbase and certain WoW vets are looking for something to jump to. I think the title will do well enough. I don't think it will get anywhere near the numbers of subscribers WoW has. Ever.

If anything is going to rise to WoW's level it'll be GW2, which isn't as much of a 'threat' financially since it's B2P, but all its new innovations, it really is different enough to offer a viable alternative for a long period of time. I think it's payment model will get a lot of attention and box sales will be compared directly to WoW's subscriber base, which is kind of unfair. I'm not sure GW2 will make as much money as WoW, but I'm betting it'll have more players than TOR.

Are you being sarcastic? You think GW2 will do good??? thats laughable. SWTOR will be amazing. Everything looks amazing and all i hear is good talk except from people that has never seen it or has played it. I love a game that has an  advance story line. SWTOR is blowing everyone out of the water with the quest/storyline. I doubt anything will come close to this game for years to come. 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

In order to fail heroiclly, one must first be heroic.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.