Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reason for low Pop!

mmodannommodanno Member Posts: 163

Why the reason for the possibly record breaking fall to the subscription level that DCUO now limps along with?

UI     For the developers, that stands for User Interface.

As in, there isnt any.  Limiting toons to six powers in their hotbar so that they can code the PS3 and PC together?  One of the worst decisions in the history of MMOs.  Everyone I know that played it originally said the main reason they left wasnt the grind, it was the crippled UI.

Devs, want to increase Subs?  Repair the hotbar!  It's that simple.

PS:  I will have some links to the trade pubs tomorrow!

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by mmodanno

Why the reason for the possibly record breaking fall to the subscription level that DCUO now limps along with?

As in, there isnt any.  Limiting toons to six powers in their hotbar so that they can code the PS3 and PC together?  One of the worst decisions in the history of MMOs.  Everyone I know that played it originally said the main reason they left wasnt the grind, it was the crippled UI.

.. No having a small amount of abilities on your hotbar isn't what broke the MMO,  the extremely unbalanced abilities due to exploits is what broke the PvP servers.. the limited PvE without fulfilling the monthly updates killed the PvE version.  

The UI hurt the PC version,  mostly the Chat UI,   but not nearly as much as those other features.  The developers inability to fix problems fast enough..... even now that I have free time, I get to log in and see the new set of exploits on the PC version, as well as the nerf from classes that previously were at least nominally powerful for both roles that now are only worth playing in one.

They've also tried changing around the weapon sets a few times, but with all the changes they've made with increasing the speed of some combos, removing cancelling from certain moves and abilities,  they severely gimp some weapons.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

I had to wait to play this since i bought the game during the "server hack" incident but after i was finally able to log in, it was quite empty. But maybe that was because of the servers just being online.

Was also dissapointed in the number of power selections, overal i had free 40+ game time so it wasn't too bad but i just uninstalled it in the end.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by maskedweasel

.. No having a small amount of abilities on your hotbar isn't what broke the MMO,  the extremely unbalanced abilities due to exploits is what broke the PvP servers.. the limited PvE without fulfilling the monthly updates killed the PvE version.  

The UI hurt the PC version,  mostly the Chat UI,   but not nearly as much as those other features.  The developers inability to fix problems fast enough..... even now that I have free time, I get to log in and see the new set of exploits on the PC version, as well as the nerf from classes that previously were at least nominally powerful for both roles that now are only worth playing in one.

They've also tried changing around the weapon sets a few times, but with all the changes they've made with increasing the speed of some combos, removing cancelling from certain moves and abilities,  they severely gimp some weapons.

All very good points, but I think what it all really boils down to is that SOE killed DCUO, or at least put it on the critical list.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• biohazardxbwbiohazardxbw Member Posts: 27

cuz not enough content and quick to hit cap

http://dcuopodcast.podbean.com/

DCUO Podcast @ http://dcuopodcast.podbean.com/

Or iTunes DCUO

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

the 6 power limit was one of the good things about the game.  but they could have made it so that powers you pick but do not place directly on the bar still can benefit in some way.  Like each power should have a passive ability that takes effect when not on the bar.

Because of how it works, the most effective use of points is to put hardly any points in powers and the vast majority into weapons.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Partly due to the fact that Blixtev (aka toilet boy) lead the dev team at the start, SWG was getting worse when Blixtev took over (signs of crappy changes was when he was the bounty hunter focus dev).

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Rubbish. The limit on active abilities is what makes the game playable with a gamepad (yes, on the PC too). One of the game's few redeeming features.

The last thing anyone needs is yet another copycat MMO with 6 hotbars full of useless skills.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

Population is low because no one wants to play it.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Even with mouse and keyboard the game was playable.

The reason I quit was because after you spend 2 days to max your characters level I was semi afk in the hall of doom queing for pvp. Wasnt anything else to do.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

This is totally my opinion but I just didnt feel super ;D.  I thought City of Heroes did a much better job of making me feel like a super hero.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by maskedweasel

All very good points, but I think what it all really boils down to is that SOE killed DCUO, or at least put it on the critical list.

I think you're both correct.

It's not one thing...it's many things. It's just not as simple as a UI fix OP.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

woops wrong thread

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

This is what happens when you make a multi-platform MMO, the console will always serve as a pattern and the PC version will suck..

Making few powers was lame and the customization dont really pay off the fact that the power variety is shit aswell

They should have added Mighty in first of all, If I want to be a brawler why the hell should I get fire?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by psyknx

Even with mouse and keyboard the game was playable.

Playable with mouse and keyboard only if you are willing to break all 54 of your hand bones by playing that way.

• jeolmanjeolman Member UncommonPosts: 46

What really killed the Game is the simple fact that the developers at SOE do not listen to players/testers. I was a beta tester for DCUO from very early on, and the devs just would not listen to the testers unless it was to correct bugs. but anything related to gameplay and UI was ignored or a pr spin was put on it.. Many of the testers told SOE it was not ready to launch and and what needed to change, but did they listen.  NO!

DCUO could have been a good game, but SOE insisted on making a game their devs and marketing dept. liked, rather than one players would like.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

There's plenty wrong with this game. The horrible users interface is just the tip of the ice berg. The fact that you can go through the entire content within just a few days is mainly to blame for its failure. The game is also very buggy. Don't even get me started on the queuing and the instancing system. I blame that no good, fat ass Chris Cao. He spend more time hyping the game and posting useless videos of himself and that other moron instead of focusing on the development of this game. Didn't he just bail on the game a few weeks ago? He shouldn't have been in charge of the game in the first place.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

No trial mode any?

I wouldn't spend an initial sum + an ongoing time fee without having a chance to try that game, and indeed i'm also not playing it, even less likely  after i've been through SoE before.