Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird Computer issue

jake1976jake1976 Member Posts: 7

Hi,

I been noticing for past week or so that whenever i play any MMO/Game {WoW, STO, SWG, or even Age of Empires III} that the application would suddenly minimize itself on its own.

I have gone over startup, services, etc and i can not figure out what is causing it, does anyone have any idea on whats going on and how to fix it?  Or should i Wipe the HDD?

Running on Assus G72x gaming Laptop windows 7 SP1, IntelCore duo 2 p8700  2.533 2.533 6gb Ram 1gb dedicated Video

thanks

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Are you hitting the Windows key on accident?

• jake1976jake1976 Member Posts: 7

Nope, sometimes that will not even work...but i will actively watch for that....sometimes i might be afk on the game and it does that....(and i have disabled the laptop mouse pad via the button, got annoying watching cursor move while typing papers)

I read on some older forums (2007-2009) of software etc causing it but since it happen in games and this 2011 figure i ask...

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by jake1976

Nope, sometimes that will not even work...but i will actively watch for that....sometimes i might be afk on the game and it does that....(and i have disabled the laptop mouse pad via the button, got annoying watching cursor move while typing papers)

I read on some older forums (2007-2009) of software etc causing it but since it happen in games and this 2011 figure i ask...

If the window key doesn't work when you hit it sometimes, it could be sticking and causing that to happen. Maybe you need a new keyboard on that laptop to fix it.

I did a test with that today in WoW, it does work sometimes (not during loading is what i meant sorry) but when i hit the windows key WoW minimized and the star button menu came up....

when the applications minimize the start button doesnt pop up

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

There are some software reasons that could cause it, the biggest offender is the UAC popup alert (WIndows needs Administrator Permission to Continue). Sometimes other urgent popup messages can cause it too - but if it were this, you'd see the popup window...

There are some viruses and malware that can do it too, but I'm assuming you've already scanned using all the popular tools.

The most likely cause, though, is the Windows key.

You can check the events log (somewhere in the Administrator Tools) and see if any funny error messages are being logged when the game minimizes.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

do u have a program like Raptr or Xfire/steam open while u play game? if yes its may be the cause,

if not there is always the dam Internet explorer , i had the same problem in the pass and after a good clean up its fixed the problem

try Malwarebytes

Delete all ur cache ,cookie,temporary file

anyway give it a try good luck

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

will try that, might be steam, some readings indicated that Google Aps was to blame....might be something from when i had Trend installed  (and removed due to performance)

I had steam but i turned that off and game comrade.....UAC i got that turned off 

I got windows Defender...also i use Avast! plus i do scan with house call, and malware but i will do that again plus sypbot....

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Make sure Avast is in silent/gaming mode. That's in it's the right click context menu.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

yup, had it silent since first time using it...(it got annoying whenever it popped up saying your antivirus has been updated)

its weird, generally i can solve PC issues but this one has me perplexed.....Trying for simple solve if not a Hard Drive Wipe, as i am thinking its program that was installed then unistalled....