Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch out! Incoming fad...

I've been doing some research and it looks like Conan is going to be another big fad on the horizon.

Apparently, the industry is in the process of making a new movie (and anime) based off of Conan's world. It looks to me that they are getting ready to do to Conan what they did to the Lord of the Rings.

Is anyone else getting the feeling that the entertainment industry has found a new fad of it's own? That being finding a novel series and marketing it for all it's worth.

Still, looks to be a fun game.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

Comments

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

it looks like king conan: crown of iron is in the works. but a conan movie has been talked about for several years, so i don't think it's tied to FC's game.

• RagalornRagalorn Member Posts: 75

The original Conan the Barbarian was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, it never panned out. They have talked about movies for years.

I will believe it once they actually release another one.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Well I had long suspected that Hollywood was completely bereft of new ideas.... then they confirmed it with the remake of "the longest yard" which was an average movie in the first place.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

Originally posted by Ragalorn

The original Conan the Barbarian was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, it never panned out. They have talked about movies for years.
    I will believe it once they actually release another one.

Well I wouldn't call it a trilogy but there were two other movies Conan the Destroyer, and Red Sonja.  I would definitely be in line to say a new Conan movie based off the books or comics.
  • JabberwokkyJabberwokky Member Posts: 58

Hollywood is crappy, I agree.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Lunar_Knight
    I've been doing some research and it looks like Conan is going to be another big fad on the horizon.
    Apparently, the industry is in the process of making a new movie (and anime) based off of Conan's world. It looks to me that they are getting ready to do to Conan what they did to the Lord of the Rings.
    Is anyone else getting the feeling that the entertainment industry has found a new fad of it's own? That being finding a novel series and marketing it for all it's worth.

There is a massive book line out for Conan, has been for a very long time. As well as a comic book line, that too has been going for a very long time. The book series is very good, has a strong cult following I beleive. So this will just fuel that some more.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• DanjakDanjak Member Posts: 197

Out of everything coming out, this game looks the best to me. This is probably because the original movie was so unbelievably good. I hate to say it, since Arnie will ALWAYS be Conan to me, but I think they need to recast the role instead of bringing him back as King Conan in another movie. I don't want to watch a boring movie where Arnold sits on a throne discussing politics and trade regulations - this is Conan, not Star Wars.

Anyway, I'd be thrilled to see a revitalization of the Conan franchise. The Conan world can beat the hell out of the LoTR world any day of the week.

Originally posted by ajaxx
    I will believe it once they actually release another one. Well I wouldn't call it a trilogy but there were two other movies Conan the Destroyer, and Red Sonja. I would definitely be in line to say a new Conan movie based off the books or comics.

I am not making up the trilogy information, on the collectors edition DvD the director was supposed to write 3 movies, each with a theme. For whatever reason only Conan the Barbarian was made.
    Red Sonja was not part of this in any way, although they used Arnie as a way to lure Conan fans to this horrible film.

Conan the Destroyer was a sad attempt and not written by any of the original writers, an obvious money grab. The casting was awfull.

Originally posted by Fadeus
    I've been doing some research and it looks like Conan is going to be another big fad on the horizon.
    Apparently, the industry is in the process of making a new movie (and anime) based off of Conan's world. It looks to me that they are getting ready to do to Conan what they did to the Lord of the Rings.

There is a massive book line out for Conan, has been for a very long time. As well as a comic book line, that too has been going for a very long time. The book series is very good, has a strong cult following I beleive. So this will just fuel that some more.

Along with the original Robert E Howard stories Robert Jordan has written many Conan novels and short stories.

Dark Horse comics is currently running a great Conan comic, high quality art and stories. I highly recommend this to any Conan fans.

The original Marvel Conan comics are now being reprinted in a graphic novel format and a great way to pick up for new fans.

Also the black and white Savage Sword of Conan/Conan Saga magazines are still out there somewhere. If you are lucky enough to find them, they are brutally violent and intense. ::::40::

Originally posted by Fadeus

Along with the original Robert E Howard stories Robert Jordan has written many Conan novels and short stories.

Dark Horse comics is currently running a great Conan comic, high quality art and stories. I highly recommend this to any Conan fans.

The original Marvel Conan comics are now being reprinted in a graphic novel format and a great way to pick up for new fans.

Also the black and white Savage Sword of Conan/Conan Saga magazines are still out there somewhere. If you are lucky enough to find them, they are brutally violent and intense. ::::40::

I remember even the older conan comics being really good art when I was a kid as well.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Aye Fadeus, the art was and remains today a very important piece of Conan. His world is dark, unexplored, mysterious. The best of the best artists are able to capture this strange world. The one artist most loved by the fans is Frank Frazetta.

Here is a link that lists the comic history of Conan, for those who would like to pick some up.

http://tplist.millarworld.net/conan.html

[quote]Originally posted by Ragalorn
    [b]Aye Fadeus, the art was and remains today a very important piece of Conan. His world is dark, unexplored, mysterious. The best of the best artists are able to capture this strange world. The one artist most loved by the fans is Frank Frazetta.
    Here is a link that lists the comic history of Conan, for those who would like to pick some up.
    [url=http://tplist.millarworld.net/conan.html][/b][/quote]

When I was in my teens I did alot of sketch art. I never took any schooling for it so my ability to to original work was limited but I often used the Conan comics for my sketches, doing likenesses and reproductions of characters in the books.

- Scaris

• freekstylefreekstyle Member Posts: 49

WHEN DOES THIS GAME COME OUT

• fungistratusfungistratus Member Posts: 437

Meh Conan lore is lame. 

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

The Rock remaining busy?

I think rumors are spreading that Dwayne Johnson aka the Rock may be up  for the Conan role. This is just a rumor though. We all know how these things start.

And off the Conan topic, he was also mentioned as well to be in Terminator 4 with Christian Bale.

Again folks, these are things I am just hearing..

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

The Rock remaining busy?
    I think rumors are spreading that Dwayne Johnson aka the Rock may be up  for the Conan role. This is just a rumor though. We all know how these things start.
    And off the Conan topic, he was also mentioned as well to be in Terminator 4 with Christian Bale.
    Again folks, these are things I am just hearing..

I think Conan was a Cimmerian and they are Caucasians, so the Rock being Conan would kinda break the lore.

I'm by no means an expert tho.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I hope The Rock will not play Conan, I want someone I never seen before.  It will be badass if he looks like the Conan from the intro movie in AoC. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Ummm...  Guys?

It's a three year old necro post.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • freekstylefreekstyle Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by grunty

Ummm...  Guys?

YEAH IM JUST WONDERIN WHEN THE GAME OUT

• VPellenVPellen Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by freekstyle

Originally posted by grunty

Ummm...  Guys?

YEAH IM JUST WONDERIN WHEN THE GAME OUT

A few weeks ago.