Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"City Of Heroes Freedom" A Bad Thing!!

KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

--I have just discovered with the new NCSoft brainchild of "City Of Heroes Freedom" that people who have what they call  "Premium" accounts, that is accounts that have been paid for over the years but under their new "Freedom" system will only be allowed to have 2 characters that you pick when the new "Freedom" goes through per server.

--If you want to access any more than that you will have to pay as you did before.  And you can only have 12 characters per account.  (The most I have ever had on one server is 12.  I have 3 servers filled up with 12 each).  There may be more available for those with the "Premium" account if you have had some unlocking veteran rewards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what was written to me:

"Free to Play" accounts will allow 2 of the characters on the account to be used/played. You will get to choose those two the first time you access the game after this service change has been made live/implemented. Once you choose them, all other character slots on the account will become locked/grayed out/unavailable until you do one of the following:

1. Claim Veteran Reward based character slots. (Applies immediately, unlocks more character slots on the account for use.)

2. Purchase extra character slots through the City of Heroes Store. (Applies immediately, unlocks more character slots on the account for use.)

3. Upgrade your account to "VIP" status. (This will unlock a total of 12 slots per server, plus slots claimed through Veteran Rewards or purchased through the City of Heroes Store.)

The relation that Veteran Rewards has in connection with the "City of Heroes: Freedom" service model is that any character slots claimed through Veteran Rewards will add to the base total of 2 available for "Free to Play" accounts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--This is not so much a "Freedom" but a taking away of "Freedom" to those who have invested their $143.00 per year for 7 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--After not surviving NCSoft's Lineage 2 game in which I lost over 25 characters in two (2) server merges I am expecting the same sort of thing to happen here.  What NCSoft says and what they do are 2 completely different things.

--I have met many a player in-game who has many more than my 7 servers with 12 characters on it, and I am wondering how they feel about the situation.

--When will be the first server merge for "City Of Heroes" after the "City Of Heroes Freedom" implemenation?

--How many characters will the long time players lose while NCSoft throws their EULA in their faces?

--What they are basically doing is making more business for Blizzard Entertainment and "World Of Warcraft".  Why? Because there is security there.  If you compare NCSoft's record with what has happened to their players to that of Blizzards you may find something interesting.  If you compare how many players lost time and their characters, banning aside, to World Of Warcraft, WOW has security and a 100% improvement on character and time lose compared to NCSoft.

--I am not supporting World of Warcraft saying it is a better game.  I have not over time enjoyed WOW as much as I had with my paid for City Of Heroes.  I prefer City Of Heroes more.  

--Guild Wars is free.  You pay for the packs and that is it.  I give them some credit for that.   But GW is hindered or lacking because of that compared to other MMOs out on the market with what you can do.  There is no total "Freedom" there either.  I am betting more packs will be released for GW that you have to purchase.

--I also have to mention here that the game 'Tabula Rasa' which barely lasted 6 months was closed almost immediately after it was launched.  Why?  Server time vs. cost?  Artists, probably unionized, wanting more money?  Someone who owns the company suddenly not liking the game anymore?  That incident also does not go well with my trust for my characters and time and money spent with a company who seems to have more respect for their EULA then for their customers. Where is the guarantee?

--A broken toy is never the same after it has been broken.  Is NCSoft becoming the bully of the play yard?  "Hand over your lunch money my friend and I may let your character live".

--I believe that COH Freedom should have another name besides "Freedom".  I see little "Freedom" in their new system or what they are trying to implement.  I feel it is/and will slowly ruin the game.  NCSoft has no feelings for their customers or how they feel about their playing time or usage of characters.  Along with the new implementation they have succeded in driving away who could have been their best customers and they are becoming what I feel is one of the worst companies in the gaming business.  After this new COH implementation I do not think I will be purchasing any of their GW2 too soon.

--Because of NCSoft's track record, I may be staying with WOW where my characters are at least safe.

--I will be writing more on this later.   At a later time, I will be more than happy to type a few good things concerning this change over.  As for now, my trust is nil.

GlassEye

Comments

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by zeowyrm

{mod edit}

Did you read the rest of my post?  That is not my only concern with the "City Of Heroes Freedom".

GlassEye

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by Kalay

{mod edit}

Did you read the rest of my post?  That is not my only concern with the "City Of Heroes Freedom".

{mod edit}

Hey I guess it doesn't bother you when your stuff goes trashy.   NP.  Bugs the piss out of me.

GlassEye

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

Hey I guess it doesn't bother you when your stuff goes trashy.   NP.  Bugs the piss out of me.

If you were right, then yeah, you'd have a leg to stand on.  Come back 6 months after the change and bitch about it, then you might make sense.  Having been through 3 of these changeovers, I can safely say that going freemium has not hurt these games, and has, in fact, improved them.  And considering this is just one of the 3 games changing over to freemium this year, I can't be the only one who thinks so.

• ShukanoShukano Member UncommonPosts: 57

So let me get this right. Since you paid for 7-odd years, you want the game to be completely open to you without you having to pay a thing? I too have characters across multiple servers. And if you want to play them for free you'll have to unlock them via vet rewards or Paragon Points or just sub like you used to. What is wrong with that?

Sounds like the same Doom/Gloom that hit Lotro even though it sounds like if you sub to either game it will be the exact same game you remember. I think its not a bad idea at all. In fact, its a great idea that will have the effect of getting more players to play the game.

Champions online F2P really screwed to pooch. You want to see a bad F2P system, go check out Champs.

--How many characters will the long time players lose while NCSoft throws their EULA in their faces?

3. Upgrade your account to "VIP" status. (This will unlock a total of 12 slots per server, plus slots claimed through Veteran Rewards or purchased through the City of Heroes Store.)

You answered your own question in red with the your previous statement in yellow. 12 slots per server is how the game has always been plus any extra slots you may have unlocked. If you pay, it stays the same. What is confusing?

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please do not post duplicate threads in separate forums. Locking this.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.