Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Devs Respond to Internal Newsletter Leak & Fan Reaction

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I do not mind paying for Items form an Items shop in EVE, however there are limits on what I am willing to pay for, and what will make me unsubscribe from EVE, Start all kinds of online protests and make EVE Online one of the worst games on the entire google search engines and worse if they make me rage.

Anyways From what I have seen in EVE, the Items Shop is currently fine, the only problem is the Pricing and the way they are doing it.

For Starters CCP says EVE is a game where plays control the economy if this is 100% true then Real Money Trading should be 100% Legal with the following Conditions.

1. You do not spam in game.

2. Buyers buy at their own Risk.

3. It is not obtained using BOTS, or macros and users using such are banned.

I do not understand why PLEX is being used for an Item Store in game like Cash Shops when it doesn't tell me how much plex or item cash money I will get for converting a PLEX card, and they should offer these sold seperate, and also allow peopel to convert plex, convert in game money to points at a FMV, and also allow people to buy items from the store and clothing packages.

So for example If I put $20 USD into points i get 20 points to spend, and this makes it easier than all those other F2P Games.

However the moment that CCP starts to charge me as a user for customization of my character changing a hair, or shirt on my character, or anything I QUIT, and so will the people I know, we are sick and tired of Developers over charging.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

I was actually considering coming back to give Eve another shot....

No way.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

I concur!

The summoning of shitstorms shall remain in the realm of global warming. MMORPG drama queens need not apply.

Unless they have huge tracts of land. The King will entertain such offers.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

I'm a little shocked at how CCP has reacted to the player's reaction, i dont like it and i have a feeling we might be getting trolled or something. Maybe they'll stick to this, or maybe they're trying to pull a "New Coca-cola to classic Coca-cola" on us. This just seems rather odd since not long ago they started giving us dev blogs every week because people complained about lag. Think i'll wait and see what happens on this one.

EDIT: And who leaked the fearless newsletter and hilmers email? Just seems fishy.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

I do think that CCP nailed it on the head in their original leaked email 

Currently we are seeing _very predictable feedback_ on what we are doing. Having the perspective of having done this for a decade, I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say. Innovation takes time to set in and the predictable reaction is always to resist change.

If the players make use of the shop, then CCP is going to keep doing it. Seriously, how many people are they really going to lose? (And remember, nobody thinks as highly of your monthly contributions as you do) If they lose 1% of their players but have 20% use the shop, they make out in spades.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

kinda interesting that  SWG is shutting down now as well. lolz, yet another example of a good game screwed up.

I have been playing EVE off and on since release with two accounts, and took a year off of gaming  for family, and had just re- downloaded EVE today, and was abpout to fish out the credit card and resub, when i tuned back into everadio and heard about this fiasco. only thing i can say is this:

CCP, you either do it  free to play with MT, or sub with eye candy MT.  If you try to have your cake and eat it too,  you will end  up rotting  on a back shelf, another footnote in the history of games, and succumbing to greed.

not that you bigger ups care really, you got your cash allready.

PS: I am NOT going to resub, there are a bunch of space games coming out over the next few years, anf face it, i bet they will try harder for my bucks than you will.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

$1,000 for a pair of jeans, where the heck does that Dev/GM buy his clothes?

If i saw a pair of Jeans in a store for that much, I'd laugh at the jerk who'd buy them, because, I'd certainly walk around the corner and get a far better pair of jeans for $50 at a reputable clothing store.

Maybe a rich kid would buy that pair, but, for what reason, to wear them to one party, and, then toss them out into the garbage can next day?

the pricing in the NeX Store doesn't warrant that type of inflation, surely, a monocle, would be worth 100 mill, not 1.4 billion isk.

this just goes to show you what the Upper Management of CCP has come to when they believe the whole world will stop and throw $60 thier way, just for the pleasure of wearing a monocle on some dress up avatar doll. :(

A sad day indeed for human Kind. :(

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

No one is forced to buy anything from the vanity shop and the only way CCP will realize this was a bad mistake is if everyone didn't pay them a thing other than their subs for each month.

I certinaly will not buy anything from the shop while it needs real money to do so.

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

Another one bite the dust, MMO industry really look to be in a bad shape , i remember back in the old day it was all about having fun paying a justified fee for a real open virtual world. Nowday its all about instancing stuff and playing solo and/or collecting fluff items who means jack's crap, racking the most out of the box then overpriced monthly  fee + optionnal store to put even more disparity between  people so now even in games that's are supposed to be fun you can tell from the view alone, who's rich and who's not.

PC gamers made Eve what it is today and that doesn't ring them a bell playstation sony the root of all evil deserve a free game exclusively for them and what we get ? An overpriced cash shop and a stupid analogy of comparison, do they really think eve players are those kind of asshat going to spend money this kind of things ? The regular eve player is more intelligent than that and it's an insult.

I just hope they get what they deserve and end up in the same greedy bag of those pay to win games that are insult to the whole mmo community as a whole

I may just getting too old for all this, but i miss they days before this junk of facebook, social game, free to play, the ultima online carebear change, swg bullcrap,  dota type games charging fee for caracter ala pokemon when before that we used to have fun for free on dota or free exchange of counter strike mod.

See you gotta go buy a new game from steam to get a new hat for TF2

Peace out

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Astralglide

I do think that CCP nailed it on the head in their original leaked email 

Currently we are seeing _very predictable feedback_ on what we are doing. Having the perspective of having done this for a decade, I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say. Innovation takes time to set in and the predictable reaction is always to resist change.

If the players make use of the shop, then CCP is going to keep doing it. Seriously, how many people are they really going to lose? (And remember, nobody thinks as highly of your monthly contributions as you do) If they lose 1% of their players but have 20% use the shop, they make out in spades.

Precisely. I'm glad to see someone thinking.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Originally posted by Garkan

CCP Zulu is an idiot, you can actually buy real life designer jeans for the cost of some of those vanity items.

Uhh.. then don't buy the items?

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

whoever leaked the internal memo should be fired.   they caused harm to the company they agreed to work for.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by tachgb

Been playing EVE Online on and off since 2003. And I can definately say I don't like where CCP/EVE is heading. Infact, I have very little desire to return to this game now that CCP have slipped in a cash shop.

Will see where CCP take it to.

I'd bet they are happy you spent all that money getting them to the point where they can take the game mainstream.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by deathtripp

"The opinions and views expressed in Fearless are just that; opinions and views. They are not CCP policy nor are they a reliable source of CCP views as a company."

Gem : "While it‘s perfectly fine to disagree and attack CCP over policies or actions we take. . ."

Which is it... is it a policy or not? I smell a stinking pile of ****.

Uh, Fearless is a pallette of ideas, not policies. In your second quote, he's referring to policies or actions that players may disagree with - i.e., not Fearless, as he clearly stated Fearless is not representative of CCP policies. Not hard to understand, right?

Don't think I'm defending this thing, though. It was the wrong kind of response at the wrong time (took too long).

When I put together a "pallette of ideas", I generally show people with alternative viewpoints.  That newletter felt and read like Foxnews pushing a Republican Agenda... 

Anyway, the response made it clear that they are, in fact, heading in the direction the newsletter implied.  The designer clothes comparison was especially terrible.   I canceled my account.  

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Originally posted by Garkan

CCP Zulu is an idiot, you can actually buy real life designer jeans for the cost of some of those vanity items.

That was the stupidest thing I ever heard its like saying your all what I invision and what I invision is absolute! Its like certain relegions!

And thanks MMORPG.com for posting this so fast !

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

All it was meant to point out is that status symbols are expensive....

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • dutchmandutchman Member UncommonPosts: 61

zulu blog + the mail that might or mightnot be true are more stupid than i have the words to describe it.  The way this is going will problabe outshine the SWG debacle. To begin whit the shoud fire all the PR people and the community service people, then zulu can commit sepuku on eve tv right after confirming NO non vanity items in the store.   At this point they mught have a fighting chance...

I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say

CCP went ahead and saw that players were buying isk from farmers instead of banning them all and continuing to ban them they went ahead and used their evil desires to give them GTC and they are both a form of RL money trading. EvE is now expanding on this by addding clothing items ect and charging hella money for it what the player base fears right now is that they will keep going this route and start charging real life money for SKILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL POINTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

So many people are quiting currently I cancelled 2 accounts will wait  till the end of this month and wait for a correct reply here is a link .

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1535552

Those are just the people that posted emagine how many more there are that are quiting.

sorry GTC  and Plex

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by Jinnseraye

I honestly wouldn't care if they kept a vanity cash shop. I think it's pointless. I think CCP makes enough money off the subscriptions. But whatever. Should they ever add anything besides vanity items, Eve will die.

I think the person who wrote this reply is an idiot. There is no justification for charging 60 dollars for a virtual monocle. Let's hope that the people of CCP regain their sanity before they lose their playerbase.

Let me touch on this for a short while... While it stands to reason that this is true Blizzard recently lost 600.000 subscribers and even doing so their income was going up... And the reason for this is the "cash shop". So it is only sound for CCP to aim for this option since they can not count on a steady influx of players witha  game as old as this and the churn will sooner or later dip in to the negative. At this point i guess the question is... Do you rather have A GAME or NO GAME and this seems to be a logical step to try and make the former a goal instead of the later.

This have been a good conversation

• bluemagibluemagi Member UncommonPosts: 43

I don't normally reply to things like this but my goodness, that letter was just atrocious!  I was seriously thinking about EVE due to Incarna but I started reading about the cash shop.  I seriously don't like cash shops but it's their perogative to add one or not to but the language they used in that letter, that was from an actual dev?  I mean, where is the professionalism?  Thank goodness I read that post before I subbed for EVE, no way in hell I'm subbing now.  I don't care if the players act like that because they are the players, I don't hold any standard for them.  But for a company to actually release a letter like that, the guy should get fired. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by bluemagi

.  But for a company to actually release a letter like that, the guy should get fired. 

Well technically it was not released.. it was an internal memo.

This have been a good conversation

It was like a Hitler morale boost memo!