Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slippery slope - "it's just vanity items!"

1235»

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by Nethermancer

I could care less if its vanity items or combat items I want to pay 15 dollars a month and get ALL THE CONTENT and I will not be playing EVE unless i can get it all in game. Thye can sell it to people if they want but if i cant get i tin the game then screw them im out.

There's no difference in saving ISK for vanity items to buy off the market than saving for a new ship.

Edit: Just read your sig. I lol'ed since it's ironic.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Nethermancer

I could care less if its vanity items or combat items I want to pay 15 dollars a month and get ALL THE CONTENT and I will not be playing EVE unless i can get it all in game. Thye can sell it to people if they want but if i cant get i tin the game then screw them im out.

I started playing EVE in 2005. I intended to stick with the game until the server was shut down, but this was pretty much the only thing that would make unsub permanently.

I keep reading things like "why get all bothered if it's just cosmetic items?", or "why not wait it out to see if things actually do go south?". To the former: it starts out with the cosmetic crap, and then the devs start testing the water to see what other crap people would be willing to pay for. I've seen things degrade in this manner too many times to be fooled again. To the latter: I'm not going to invest any more time in an mmo if there is a good chance they'll eventually cross the line.

If I can't get the full jam for the box cost and a monthly sub, I'm not interested. It's fucking sad that so many gamers are so compliant and simply settle for what would appear to be anything. You make your bed, you must lie in it.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

I started playing EVE in 2005. I intended to stick with the game until the server was shut down, but this was pretty much the only thing that would make unsub permanently.

I keep reading things like "why get all bothered if it's just cosmetic items?", or "why not wait it out to see if things actually do go south?". To the former: it starts out with the cosmetic crap, and then the devs start testing the water to see what other crap people would be willing to pay for. I've seen things degrade in this manner too many times to be fooled again. To the latter: I'm not going to invest any more time in an mmo if there is a good chance they'll eventually cross the line.

If I can't get the full jam for the box cost and a monthly sub, I'm not interested. It's fucking sad that so many gamers are so compliant and simply settle for what would appear to be anything. You make your bed, you must lie in it.

If you stuck with EVE for so long, you would have known they tested the waters. They were going to put in Neural Remapping for a PLEX. It was taken off the table a day after the dev blog was put up becaue of the player backlask and the CSM. CCP won't add items in the shop that give others an advantage. Assuming any different is pure speculation, with the odds stacked against you from past acts.

And to clear up why are they charging, here's a quote from the dev blog.

We want to balance the creation and production of such variations and customizability against the actual demand for it. The best way to do that is by having a direct connection between income of these items bought and how many we produce.

In short, they're charging for the initial purchases of the item so they can make more based on the money from the vanity items sold. This way, the actual content of the game won't be slowed down, and still be fueled by the sub money. The sub money isn't going towards making more stripper poles and clothes, which is nice considering those who have no interest in making there avatar's "pretty" but just want the spaceship gameplay won't be hampered.

Also, remember the items can be bought with in game cash as well.

It's not sad gamers are settling for anything. It's sad your speculating way before hand and threatening to quit over it. If CCP did add items to the shop that were OP, I would be first in line to unsub.

Originally posted by Draron

If you stuck with EVE for so long, you would have known they tested the waters. They were going to put in Neural Remapping for a PLEX. It was taken off the table a day after the dev blog was put up becaue of the player backlask and the CSM. CCP won't add items in the shop that give others an advantage. Assuming any different is pure speculation, with the odds stacked against you from past acts.

And to clear up why are they charging, here's a quote from the dev blog.

We want to balance the creation and production of such variations and customizability against the actual demand for it. The best way to do that is by having a direct connection between income of these items bought and how many we produce.

In short, they're charging for the initial purchases of the item so they can make more based on the money from the vanity items sold. This way, the actual content of the game won't be slowed down, and still be fueled by the sub money. The sub money isn't going towards making more stripper poles and clothes, which is nice considering those who have no interest in making there avatar's "pretty" but just want the spaceship gameplay won't be hampered.

Also, remember the items can be bought with in game cash as well.

It's not sad gamers are settling for anything. It's sad your speculating way before hand and threatening to quit over it. If CCP did add items to the shop that were OP, I would be first in line to unsub.

[Mod Edit]

I don't need things "cleared up", and if i think it's sad or pathetic, that's my right.

Awesome, you're willing to wait until things get out of hand. However, I've been through this song and dance before, and will not be waiting around for the inevitable.

I truly hope CCP wises up, but I doubt that's going to happen at this point. I had a great run in this game and will always regard EVE as one of the best video games I've ever had the pleasure of playing, but all good things come to an end. Mine just came sooner than I was hoping.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

[Mod Edit]

I don't need things "cleared up", and if i think it's sad or pathetic, that's my right.

Awesome, you're willing to wait until things get out of hand. However, I've been through this song and dance before, and will not be waiting around for the inevitable.

I truly hope CCP wises up, but I doubt that's going to happen at this point. I had a great run in this game and will always regard EVE as one of the best video games I've ever had the pleasure of playing, but all good things come to an end. Mine just came sooner than I was hoping.

One dev =/= all devs. You can't say for sure what's going to happen. Instead of spending my time sitting there twiddling my thumbs telling myself "bad things" are coming, I'm going to keep playing and enjoy my time. If CCP does go that route, I'll cancel my sub and find a new game. I'm not into self sabotage.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Hazelle

Originally posted by Minsc

I lol'ed. The CSM and players are the ones that made the PLEX for Neural Remapping not happen.

Like I said before, sources or your a troll. I linked the dev blog CLEARLY saying it was the CSM and players that told them they didn't want those game mechanics for irl cash. Your saying a lot, but without sources it holds no water, but is pure speculation. That crystal ball of yours isn't considered a source either.

And never seen a game ruined? I played EQ2 at launch. It slowly shifted to WoW type with battlegrounds and such. Just because other devs ruin there game doesn't mean all will. One dev =/= all.

So, you played EQ 2 for a few months before station exchange came out?

That explains a lot and it's no wonder this isn't an issue for you.  You're used to the item shop in your MMO.

There's really not much point talking to you since you're already pre-conditioned to the idea of spending real money on ingame items while paying a subscription.

Don't worry I'm sure CCP will sell you an item that will let you catch up to the vet's SP before too long, but until then, enjoy your monocle and top hat.

Um, he just said he played it at launch. Station exchange came out about a year later. Honestly when I played EQ2 i didn't even know station exchange existed and never needed to use it anyways.

You keep on about how microtransactions ruin a game based on your experiences with your games of choice. But you totally refuse to acknowledge that not every item shop is handled the same way. I've pointed out multiple times Turbines approach and how it's helped the game rather than hinder it and you completely refuse to recognize that because you have no interest in even considering it.

Turbine's approach was, for the most part, to make their games free to play with an item shop.

I'm not anti-item shop - I'm anti-item shop with a subscription fee.  Paying a subscription fee and then adding velvet rope content is a bunch of bollocks that can lead to all sorts of problems down the road which turbine has largely avoided by making their games free to play.

I played Entropia Universe for a short time with friends after SWG fell apart - the gameplay wasn't my cup of tea but the micro transaction scheme was fine with me.

I'm old enough to remember the golden years of arcades - you want to talk about a micro transaction scheme?  How about paying a fee to continue playing everytime you died?

Again, it's not the item shop or microtransactions that I have a problem with it's the sub fee with an additional payment scheme that bothers me because I know how corrupting the profit of a cash shop can be and CCP will need to exercise a lot of self-restraint or they might screw up everything they've, and we've, worked for over night.

Many of the people here have faith in them, some of them even have blind faith, but you'll have to forgive a few of us for our skepticism.  Trust (for me) is something earned and CCP's item shop is way too new for anyone to say what will happen over time - you think they'll stick to vanity items whereas I have doubts, but it would be prudent for the both of us to keep our eyes on this feature don't you think?

If you've played turbine's games you would no that none of them are designed to be free-to-play. They added a free-to-play option but everything about it nudges you towards a subscription. VIP's get all new zones and, skirmishes and instances unlocked via their monthly sub and no restrictions on what they can do whereas freemiums and freebs get constantly bombarded with pay-for upgrades to unlock content. One nice thing that Turbine does is give 500 points a month to vips to either save or spend which essentially means they have the chance to get all future expansions for free as well.

I have a lifetime sub to LOTRO so even better for me is not only do I not have to pay a monthly fee but I don't have to pay for expansions and essentially play the game for free.

Originally posted by parrotpholk

OK and would it not be others right to say you are jumping off the train tracks before the train even leaves the station? Its a shirt and some pants. Not giving CCP the benefit of the doubt pretty much shows your belief you would be there to the end was on thin ice anyways. PLEX did not bother anyone but shirts and pants somehow equals the end of the universe. Silly really.

I never supported PLEX, but that wasn't enough for me to not play. Selling in game items for money in a fucking subscription game should be intolerable. One would think, anyway. It's not going to stop at "shirts and pants", but it seems some are going to have to find this out on their own.

For me, the Engineer has already sounded the horn and the train is now making it's way out of the station.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Referring to your earlier post -

Just because an item is "fluff" or has not stats doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect or importance in the game.  Saying that fluff being sold is acceptable because it's meaningless is disingenuous at best and horrible logic at the worst.

If it doesn't have stats it doesn't modify gameplay therefore not important to the game. If you like to have the option to customize your character then those items are important to you, not the game. Because said items have no stats and don't modify gameplay they are superflouous or "fluff" and I would rather see them separated off from normal development like they are than to have the resources required to make them taken away from another project that would have impact on the game like a new ship model or the ui revamp.

Fluff may not be meaningful as a combat device, but that fluff is what fleshes out the worlds wwe play in.  It is every bit meaningful to display the style and character as we represent ourselves.  This is why we have moved away from limited graphics and text towards lush 3D worlds and complex graphics.  It is why we develop intricate guild emblems, capes, halls, and the like.

I have nothing against fluff, in fact I like having the extra fluff added but the more we move into photorealistic graphics the more work it takes to make those new things and add them to the game. It seems that many people don't realize what kind of work goes into adding these things to the game it is far from trivial. These things are not something someone does in a couple hours one day, not anymore. We're looking at probably a couple of weeks to add a couple of items to the game.

It's is the first justification in charging extra for content that used to be included in our game package.  By promoting this system we are saying it's okay to deliver the barest bones system tolerable and that it's okay to be gouged piecemeal for the more interesting aspects of the game.

These are all things we used to get as part of just paying for the game.  Now we pay that and get to pay extra for the fun stuff.

Until recently the graphics in these games have been far more simple and easy to create as I've stated. The level of detail that is present in these items is far above what we used to get included. Also the timescale for this type of content to be added was often 6 months to a year, as these new clothing additions would only be included in an expansion or major update and the rate of update we are talking about here is every month or couple of months.

Now referring specifically to this post -

It may be your opinion that Turbine's cash shop has helped the game, but there are some players who feel it has ruined their games.  From the beginning of the F2P addition in LotRO they have offered not only "fluff" but game play enhancements that are better than anything you can earn through direct game play.  Every game update they add more store exclusives to their shop.  This has helped their bottom line, but not their game and it's quality.

That is totally incorrect. Except for a few items in the LOTRO store EVERYTHING available can be found ingame. Turbine has made versions of some items that cannot be traded away from a character or account but are otherwise identical. Actually if you get lucky and happen to find some of the new items (stat tomes f.ex) you have pretty much hit the jackpot in game. Also most of these exclusives you speak of are generally cosmetic and therefore have no effect on gameplay so I have no problem with them because I can just not buy them if I don't want them.

The whole point of selling items in the shop is to make money.  If the shop isn't making money off of extra sales there will be incentives built into the game such that players will visit the store to get them.  In LotRO, Turbine does this by store exclusives and selling top quality items (standard mode for Asian F2P games right?).  If CCP isn't seeing the right numbers from their store spreadsheet they will find a way to "encourage" players to visit their store.  Watch and see how that unfolds over the next year.

The incentive for the LOTRO store items is convenience. Everything in the store is geared towards speeding up character advancement in some way, whether it's extra LI slots or deed accelerators. They key idea here is that "YOU DON'T NEED TO PURCHASE ANY OF IT TO PLAY THE GAME" and this is the point that everyone ignores.

Originally posted by parrotpholk

OK and would it not be others right to say you are jumping off the train tracks before the train even leaves the station? Its a shirt and some pants. Not giving CCP the benefit of the doubt pretty much shows your belief you would be there to the end was on thin ice anyways. PLEX did not bother anyone but shirts and pants somehow equals the end of the universe. Silly really.

I never supported PLEX, but that wasn't enough for me to not play. Selling in game items for money in a fucking subscription game should be intolerable. One would think, anyway. It's not going to stop at "shirts and pants", but it seems some are going to have to find this out on their own.

For me, the Engineer has already sounded the horn and the train is now making it's way out of the station.

This abject fear of item shops is frankly rediculous. Adding powerfull items to a shop does not automatically guarantee profit for an mmo developer. In fact it could quite easily mean the opposite and CCP knows this. Also the nature of EVE's gameplay would specifically make pay-to-win items less likely as 1) if you blow up so do they 2) people blow up in game a lot. You'd have to be a pretty big idiot to think that ccp would follow that road when it's CLEARLY a bad idea. It doesn't make sense in any way. Hell they've even gone so far as to make all the clothing they're adding to the new store destructable or droppable just like other items.

The pay to win item shop may work in certain culture's or if it's designed into the game from the start, but stop fucking trying to pigeonhole every MMO's itemshop into the same category, it's just incorrect.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Cecropia    Selling in game items for money in a fucking subscription game should be intolerable. One would think, anyway. It's not going to stop at "shirts and pants", but it seems some are going to have to find this out on their own.  

Seeing as it offers about a ten year history to draw from, what were the negative impacts of the item shop on Ultima Online?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

let's at least be honest about it and the developers motivation

They are providing a service that people have been asking to have for several years. One that doesn't effect gameplay. They are making sure the PVP crowd doesn't have to pay for it because they know how they feel about it.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Well I haven't played EVE for many years, I just recently returned to eve with a two moth subscription to check it out and see if it was worth playing, if CCP does screw up the game with a cash shop like all the other games I am going to bail that simple, just as I did with NC Soft, and WOW, because I got sick and tired of their changes, oh yeah and I recently Quit Global Agenda too besides paying a Dime I will not pay until they revert the changes they previously gave our customers.

As for my old character with over 5 mil SP I simply erased it didn't care for it so I rename, but all good I will have over 2 billion ISK soon anyways.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by qazyman

let's at least be honest about it and the developers motivation

They are providing a service that people have been asking to have for several years. One that doesn't effect gameplay. They are making sure the PVP crowd doesn't have to pay for it because they know how they feel about it.

And the subscription fees should cover the cost of that just like any other content.

Nah I like it better this way, more options better game. CCP made the right call on this one. Sometimes they don't IMO, but this time they did.

They have asked a lot of their long time players, there is nothing wrong with new players getting a little of the love too.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

The problems that come with the lack of money being the route of all evil.  Problems like greed.  Problems like paying for a competitive edge.

CCP is committed by what to keep the item shop to vanity items only?  A humorous statement by a developer?

You trust them at their word that their moneygrubbing isn't going to get out of hand.  Weighing the power of money and player's desire to increase their power ingame I see cracks in the wall.

Too bad there's some things incorrect in your argument.

1) CCP has no lack of money. They're the only western MMO that has been growing at a steady rate sans WoW.

2) If they were greedy they would have charged for expansions and not removed the cost of a PLEX to change your avatar.

3) The developers statement isn't humorous, you are.

Don't let me stop you though. Keep repeating the same things despite me linking sources many times now proving you wrong.

1) I see, so the item shop is for sh!ts and giggles then?  If a company is charging extra for something than they themselves feel that they are in need of money.  If they didn't need money they wouldn't bill you for the extras.  The item shop is all about making extra money on the side - its very existance is proof that CCP is either moneygrubbing or are in need of extra cash.  They have 2 MMORPGs in development, and a major expansion with eve online.  In 2009 CCP had 353 employees and now they have 600 - did eve's subs double to match those extra mouths?  2 new games in development, which until they are released, are costing CCP money on development - that means that there is a lot of money going out and no money from those games coming in, so don't even try suggesting that CCP has no lack of money; they only have one bread winner which surprise surprise they're whoring out.

2)  The nature of eve prevents them from charging for expansions, but don't worry they'll get creative on squeezing their customers out of their nickles and dimes, hmmm maybe they'll create some kind of online store where players can purchase virtual goods above the cost of their subscription fees?  The plex scheme is being replaced with an new item shop scheme or didn't you hear about it?  They can't very well sell you more than one type of item if you can't interchange the items.  It would turn the item shop into a train wreck instead of the gravy train they're expecting.

3)  I thought it was humourous as most of zulu's blogs have a certain humor to them.

1) I see, so the item shop is for sh!ts and giggles then?  If a company is charging extra for something than they themselves feel that they are in need of money.  If they didn't need money they wouldn't bill you for the extras.  The item shop is all about making extra money on the side - its very existance is proof that CCP is either moneygrubbing or are in need of extra cash.  They have 2 MMORPGs in development, and a major expansion with eve online.  In 2009 CCP had 353 employees and now they have 600 - did eve's subs double to match those extra mouths?  2 new games in development, which until they are released, are costing CCP money on development - that means that there is a lot of money going out and no money from those games coming in, so don't even try suggesting that CCP has no lack of money; they only have one bread winner which surprise surprise they're whoring out.

2)  The nature of eve prevents them from charging for expansions, but don't worry they'll get creative on squeezing their customers out of their nickles and dimes, hmmm maybe they'll create some kind of online store where players can purchase virtual goods above the cost of their subscription fees?  The plex scheme is being replaced with an new item shop scheme or didn't you hear about it?  They can't very well sell you more than one type of item if you can't interchange the items.  It would turn the item shop into a train wreck instead of the gravy train they're expecting.

3)  I thought it was humourous as most of zulu's blogs have a certain humor to them.

^ All of the above (besides 3, which I agree with) is speculation.

How do other MMO companies get there money from making there first MMO? Funding. The same way CCP is making there others. You don't know if they have a lack of money (speculation), and they said in the dev blog the items are being made off the success of them, so they won't overdo it. Not to support other games (though I think they are going to for that). Number 2 was even more crystal ball rubbing than the first.

Again, nothing to comment on. Don't speak as what you think (without sources) is what's real.

TLDR; There is no proof CCP has lack of funding for there other MMO's, there's no source CCP is going to introduce OP items in cash shop.

• MMOGamer6MMOGamer6 Member Posts: 8

The slope just got more slippery

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/07/playstation-3-players-are-our-minions-dust-514-is-a-ps3-exclusive/

The game will digitally distributed via the Playstation Network, and CCP say that the game will be supported by “by revenues from the in-game sale of virtual goods, allowing players to purchase advanced weaponry, battle gear and vehicles using both earned virtual currency and real money from their Playstation wallet.” And that brings with it some unusual design problems.

Although the press release doesn’t say so, I’m wondering if Dust will be free-to-play. It’s also a dangerous step; the quote above says that players can buy advanced weapons using real money. It also says that “a single bullet fired on the planet below can pivot the balance of power in EVE Online. Every action has consequences, and every reaction has the potential to topple empires.”

I don’t think you can marry the two facts and expect the EVE community to react positively. The implication is that players will be able to buy their way to victory in Dust, and flip planets in EVE.

Does this mean game changing items will be added to eve online also?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

CCP said that Dust was going to be F2P/MT when they first announced the project. It's not like this was a recent decision.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

^ All of the above (besides 3, which I agree with) is speculation.

How do other MMO companies get there money from making there first MMO? Funding. The same way CCP is making there others. You don't know if they have a lack of money (speculation), and they said in the dev blog the items are being made off the success of them, so they won't overdo it. Not to support other games (though I think they are going to for that). Number 2 was even more crystal ball rubbing than the first.

Again, nothing to comment on. Don't speak as what you think (without sources) is what's real.

TLDR; There is no proof CCP has lack of funding for there other MMO's, there's no source CCP is going to introduce OP items in cash shop.

Greed is good Enough proof for you?

Also, I told you so.

Edit: changed the link for grumpy below image

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061