Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving this genre one last chance! (Alas, Desperation).

GalacticzGalacticz Member UncommonPosts: 34

Hey Guys,

I am at my Wit's end. I cannot stay satisfied with any MMO out there, nothing out there appeals to me. I need your help getting me in a game which I will force myself to stick with for a minimum of 2-3 months. 

Heres the deal, lets call this a social experiment. I will play any game out there as long as it satisfies a few conditions (To bhe listed later). All you have to do is help convince me that this game is worth playing.

Games I will not play: WoW, Rift, EQ, EQ2.

Conditions that need to be met: The game has to be semi regularly updated/alive. It has to have good PvP (Preferably Open World or RvR), and It cannot be grindy. I hate pointless Grinds and Questing. However, I am willing to Grind and do pointless questing if the PvE is captivating enough and if it doesn't take 500-1000 Gameplay hours to hit cap and get to the good stuff (IE: End game PvP and Raids).

What I will commit to you: If someone can convince me to play a game, I commit to play the game for a minimum of 90 days, and play for a few hours minimum each day. I have played just about every MMO on the market, and I am a Hardcore player... moving to semi-hardcore because of Work and Girlfriend. If you have an active guild, they are enjoyable to play with, and you will have me, I'd be glad to join. Community and Teamwork are my biggest motivations to play a MMO. I love nothing more than melting face in PvP with a group of my guildies. 

Hit me up, here or in a PM.

Thanks for your time,

Galacticz

Comments

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Good Luck.  Sounds to me like yuou need to take a break from MMO.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

Try WAR, it is built on RvR, and I hear it's PvE is underrated.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

You could try Aion.

Then again, some people think it's a horrible grind and some don't.

In truth it actually dont' compare to any "actual" korean grinders. But if a player is used to, say, wow or the COX games they might find the leveling a bit longer than they would like.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Lyulfe

Try WAR, it is built on RvR, and I hear it's PvE is underrated.

I'd say try Warhammer Online as well.  But I will also say that the PvE in War is pretty terrible.  It's always been very buggy, and the only reason to ever do it is to get some gear to do more RvR (stuff from LotD, etc).  Most of it though is now obselete and besides trinkets, not worth doing.  There are some public quests that have been bugged for two years now. 

Fortunately, you can level exclusively with RvR and you can stay in T3 until Sov gear levels I believe, so by the time you get into T4 you aren't getting two shot.  There is an endless trial that lets you experience T1 before you put down any money.

• GalacticzGalacticz Member UncommonPosts: 34

Aion sounds very good, I played it till about lvl 20 at launch and thats when it started being too much of a grind, so i never was able to get to PvP in the abyss. It might be worth a retry. Problem with that is I here there are major Population imbalances on many of their servers..

As for WAR, god I loved WAR.. But when I relaized i was spending hours on Badland's T3 just running from keep to keep, grinding renown, I lost interest...

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Daoc - is still the best RvR game but has very old flair, leveling is quick these days so dont fear, after you have enouhg level to participate in the more crowded battlegrounds you can make some level there with mini-rvr-pvp.

Pirates of the Burning Sea - you can test it FTP and make a sub if its for you.
    PvP is sort of RvR about Cities and PvP in zones or if flagged.
    The Shipbattles be very good!
    Avatar combat is an afterthought, lacking but not needed in PvP.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190

Have you tried Planetside?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Galacticz

Aion sounds very good, I played it till about lvl 20 at launch and thats when it started being too much of a grind, so i never was able to get to PvP in the abyss. It might be worth a retry. Problem with that is I here there are major Population imbalances on many of their servers..

As for WAR, god I loved WAR.. But when I relaized i was spending hours on Badland's T3 just running from keep to keep, grinding renown, I lost interest...

If you felt at launch that Aion was a grind at lvl 20 then even now, with some of the easier leveling, I still would say it's not for you.

There is one server that doesn't have a serious imbalance and that's Vaizel.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • I think you would like Age of Conan.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

No last chance for you OP. Just quit already, you'll be glad you did so.

• whiteskytigrwhiteskytigr Member Posts: 8

He needs to play a lot of games other than mmo to realize what he wants in a mmo. You can enjoy millions of flash games, web browser games, even down to dlc games. What your demands are, they will never be met. The current mmo genre is in transition from crap to super crap, and only a shinning few can take the title of "OK mmog". You're burned out on mmo, so you will never be satisfied for the mmog list that is out to date. I'd suggest if you want real PVP you go for s4 league (cash shop infested f2p) or a game similar without the cash shop mess. APB would have been nice if it wasn't lacking in most areas, currently it's a bad gta with premium cash shop added. 

So, just take a deep breath, get a mallet and smash your pc. That's the kind of RVR action that will cure mmo burnout. Advocate against it, but there's nothing more sobering than the fact that you don't got access to a pc 24/7.

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Hey Guys,

I am at my Wit's end. I cannot stay satisfied with any MMO out there, nothing out there appeals to me. I need your help getting me in a game which I will force myself to stick with for a minimum of 2-3 months. 

Heres the deal, lets call this a social experiment. I will play any game out there as long as it satisfies a few conditions (To bhe listed later). All you have to do is help convince me that this game is worth playing.

Conditions that need to be met: The game has to be semi regularly updated/alive. It has to have good PvP (Preferably Open World or RvR), and It cannot be grindy. I hate pointless Grinds and Questing. However, I am willing to Grind and do pointless questing if the PvE is captivating enough and if it doesn't take 500-1000 Gameplay hours to hit cap and get to the good stuff (IE: End game PvP and Raids).

What I will commit to you: If someone can convince me to play a game, I commit to play the game for a minimum of 90 days, and play for a few hours minimum each day. I have played just about every MMO on the market, and I am a Hardcore player... moving to semi-hardcore because of Work and Girlfriend. If you have an active guild, they are enjoyable to play with, and you will have me, I'd be glad to join. Community and Teamwork are my biggest motivations to play a MMO. I love nothing more than melting face in PvP with a group of my guildies. 

Thanks for your time,

Galacticz

Wait patiently for GW2, TSW & ArcheAge, one might be your cup of tea. Don't think you're gonna' like SW:ToR.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your time,

Galacticz

I think you should leave.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by jonesing22
    I think you would like Age of Conan.

He should wait for the Blood and Glory server.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Originally posted by Blutmaul

Originally posted by jonesing22

I think you would like Age of Conan.

He should wait for the Blood and Glory server.

yeah thats what I am coming back for, but I started up on my DT again and am having a lot of fun with T2 raids for the first time. 

• GalacticzGalacticz Member UncommonPosts: 34

Guys, I really appreciate those of you who have given good advice, and made solid recomendations. I also understand that it might be a good Idea to take a break, and that is what I have done for a few months. I stopped playing WAR and RIft in febuary, and now find that I have the 'itch' for MMO's again, sadly its just too hard for me to hold interest. 

3 titles that really perk my interest: Aion, AoC, and PotBS.

If anyone has anything to say about these three titles, please let me know. 

As for those who have been discouraging in this thread, please go elsewhere.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

i am playing aion online and its awsome you should give it a go. and pick asmo they level up faster becouse of the low pop in that faction. and elyos level slower

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Guys, I really appreciate those of you who have given good advice, and made solid recomendations. I also understand that it might be a good Idea to take a break, and that is what I have done for a few months. I stopped playing WAR and RIft in febuary, and now find that I have the 'itch' for MMO's again, sadly its just too hard for me to hold interest. 

3 titles that really perk my interest: Aion, AoC, and PotBS.

If anyone has anything to say about these three titles, please let me know. 

As for those who have been discouraging in this thread, please go elsewhere.

These titles wont satisfy your itch....quit playing MMO already. Thank you.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Do yourself a favor OP and wait until GW2 and TOR releases and take a break until then. It is summer and the best time for a break (unless you are an Aussie or something).

A break together with a new and slightly different game should both help you get back a bit of the feelings you once had for the games. :)

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

The game you want isn't out yet....

Guild Wars 2 is coming thou. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

Guild Wars for sure. No braindead quests (like collect 10 sh*t, kill 15 sh*t), fast lvlup, hardcore pvp, great storyline.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

If you haven't tried it, I would suggest Guild Wars.  I play on the EU English server and the community is great.

I'm not a PVPer but given that you like melting face with guildies, then guild based PVP sounds like a win.  You can even roll a non-PVE character and go right to level 20 (cap) so there's no grind to get there.  The client is cheap and there's no monthly fee.  I would think there are many guilds looking for fresh enthusiastic players.

Unless it's completely out of the question, I think it would be worth a look into the potential that it might be a match for your needs.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SaphFeathersSaphFeathers Member Posts: 16

I'd also suggest GW1. You can find some super-grinds if you want, but you can also avoid pretty much any grind at all. I really enjoyed simply following the story (via missions) at least up to Lion's Arch. I haven't played beyond that yet, but am looking forward to getting back in to it.

For me, the best thing about it is that it's really chilled out. I'm wandering through, following the story, generally not getting stressed out over it. And it's very cheap to buy, with no sub, so nothing lost if you get it and dislike it.

But yeah, I'm mostly using GW1 as a sort of filler mmo to tide me over until GW2 and TSW.

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

If you haven't tried it, I would suggest Guild Wars.  I play on the EU English server and the community is great.

I'm not a PVPer but given that you like melting face with guildies, then guild based PVP sounds like a win.  You can even roll a non-PVE character and go right to level 20 (cap) so there's no grind to get there.  The client is cheap and there's no monthly fee.  I would think there are many guilds looking for fresh enthusiastic players.

Unless it's completely out of the question, I think it would be worth a look into the potential that it might be a match for your needs.

I'm a PVPer and tried hundreds of MMOs but none beaten GW's pvp. Pressing 1,2,3 didn't work there, also hundreds of strategies can be adopted from body block to energy drain. GW is focused to pvp but it's pve so long and took ages to complete it even in hard mode.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I also vote for Age of Conan. It's a very good game now, plus it's going f2p later this summer.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.