Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Might try the progression server with my 45 days

waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I have the EQ Titanium Edtion box from the last time I upgraded/reinstalled the game (2006?).  Now that I have 45 Free days I was wondering if this is a good editon to install for the progression server or if I need something else?

Also, is Fippy totally locked from character creation?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by waynejr2

I have the EQ Titanium Edtion box from the last time I upgraded/reinstalled the game (2006?).  Now that I have 45 Free days I was wondering if this is a good editon to install for the progression server or if I need something else?

Also, is Fippy totally locked from character creation?

At a minimum of 60 days IIRC between the opening of each expansion, the Titanium Edition will keep you going for a long time to come; both progression servers are now into Kunark. I have not heard anything about Fippy being locked out, which proves nothing either way. Vulak has a somewhat lower population than Fippy, and is said to be a bit more laid-back - it reached Kunark this week, while Fippy opened it a couple weeks ago.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

You can just use the Digital Download now instead of dusty off your old dics.

Digital Download Patcherhttp://launch.soe.com/everquest/

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

I recently resubbed to EQ and I'll let you know my thoughts on the game since being back.

i only had kunark and velious expansions when i left game

The progression servers aren't classic EQ.. they are new eq in the old zones

You don't lose items when you die.. no need for corspe run

You get auto health / magic regen both in an out of combat now standard.

There is a map system

There is an npc finder

I'm sure there are other things that are different but those seem to be the big ones to me.

You might as well play on a regular server since its basically the same rules.. just less zones.

Haven't made up my mind yet if i want to commit and buy the latest part of the game... but just my 2cents

progression server is a gimmick.. its not classic eq.. go for regular server ^^

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by jado818

You might as well play on a regular server since its basically the same rules.. just less zones.

the feature you listed are true but what distinguishes the progression server for (for now)

- no AA

- no mounts

- no fast travel  (POK doesnt exist)

- gear is limited to Pre-POP levels

- more players under level 50   (if playing on Fippy server)

Well another difference i noticed is they nerfed food and drink in EQ

it wasn't even a super hard requirement to meet :

why does every mmo continue to dumb itself down for the twitter ADHD generation D:

Nadia brings up a few good points about the game being more "difficult" because you don't have a mount or can't warp to a zone quickly

but finding a decent exp group shouldn't be one of them...

Exp is really easy and fast now in a duo.. they have added exp "bonuses" to the game when you camp in certain zones that wasn't part of original eq also. Also there are exp bonuses for being in a group now too ^^

exp is fast.

I wouldn't imagine it taking longer than a week to get max level if you really wanted to playing a few hours a day.

There are low level people on all the servers but the population on the progression servers does seem to be dropping steadily once people figured out it was a gimmick and not classic eq.

I'd imagine they will merge the 2 progression servers at some point in the future soonish.

I think the only novelty that exists now is the race for the top guilds to unlock all the content and make it a regular server.. which is why i suggest just go with a regular server :o

I'm not saying don't try the game.. I'm just saying don't expect classic eq on progression servers.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Well another difference i noticed is they nerfed food and drink in EQ

it wasn't even a super hard requirement to meet :

why does every mmo continue to dumb itself down for the twitter ADHD generation D:

Nadia brings up a few good points about the game being more "difficult" because you don't have a mount or can't warp to a zone quickly

but finding a decent exp group shouldn't be one of them...

Exp is really easy and fast now in a duo.. they have added exp "bonuses" to the game when you camp in certain zones that wasn't part of original eq also. Also there are exp bonuses for being in a group now too ^^

exp is fast.

I wouldn't imagine it taking longer than a week to get max level if you really wanted to playing a few hours a day.

There are low level people on all the servers but the population on the progression servers does seem to be dropping steadily once people figured out it was a gimmick and not classic eq.

I'd imagine they will merge the 2 progression servers at some point in the future soonish.

I think the only novelty that exists now is the race for the top guilds to unlock all the content and make it a regular server.. which is why i suggest just go with a regular server :o

I'm not saying don't try the game.. I'm just saying don't expect classic eq on progression servers.

you seem to have an agenda.

the population on the progression servers are not dropping because "people figured out it was a gimmick and not classic eq."

the progression servers are packed, even the newby zones which have at least 20-30 people in them every time i check (on fippy).

also, max level in a week? lol yeah if you play 24/7 and always have a full group the entire time.

even then i highly doubt it. you would need a guild to pl you to get max level in a week.

lastly, its called progression server not classic servers, you may be upset because you think it should be exactly how it was when the game first came out but the people that continue to play on those servers disagree with you.

the progression servers are by far the most populated i have seen, no way do they get merged any time soon.

people complain on fippy that there are too many people (better now that kunark opened)

so if you are going to purposely try to get people to not want to play a game, try not to spread lies about it or someone like me will call you out on your BS.

good day :)

You are correct.. i do have an agenda..

It's to let people know how i feel..

It's not classic eq.. does that mean the game can't still be enjoyable?.. no.. I think it can still be fun in its watered down form.

I just want to save somebody the trouble of downloading it before they waste their time if they were looking for classic eq.

oh i forgot to add.. in case anybody was wondering what exp was like

even in an underachieving duo.. you can average a level an hour easily.. a full pt on an weekend (oh forgot to mention double exp weekends) you can expect to rake in a nice chunk of exp

So i wouldn't imagine it taking longer than 50~60 hours to max a characters level out if all you did was exp in a duo... could even go as high as 80 hours if you are slow running to camp...

80 hours isn't all that much game time.. think of all the single player rpg's you've played that you've wasted more time in ... so obtaining max level isn't really an "achievement" not that it was before.. its just less of one now.

but i could see a dedicated group of people who exp on a weekend obtaining max level extremely quickly.. utilizing all of the exp bonuses out there.

Fast exp might be a good thing though with all the AA's the game seems to have added.. not that they are in progression servers yet.

You are correct.. i do have an agenda..

It's to let people know how i feel..

It's not classic eq.. does that mean the game can't still be enjoyable?.. no.. I think it can still be fun in its watered down form.

I just want to save somebody the trouble of downloading it before they waste their time if they were looking for classic eq.

i understand you want a true classic EQ experience but i am just pointing out some of the the things you listed in your post that were flat out wrong, that's why it seems like you have an agenda.

again, the population on the progression servers are the best i have seen by far and there are many many new players to group with in the newby zones.

also, with leveling....you are not taking into account the fact that there is no easy way to travel to get the things you need or to get to the places you need to go to.

there is no POK to get your spells....no bazaar to easily sell and buy the items you need.

not only that but finding a group isn't always easy either unless you multibox or are in a very active guild.

i 3 box an sk, cleric, and wizard on fippy. i also have access to a mage and enchanter that my friend plays when he isn't on. i almost always have a full group any time i want and my guys just hit lvl 40 with over 7 days /played.

so consider i can port and have a full group at will with the benefit of full group XP almost 100% of the time and i am nowhere near max level after playoing a full week in game time.

not saying i am the fastest XP grinder out there but i just don't see how anyone can get to max level in a week playing just one character, its just not possible without outside help from a guild, not even close.

the bottom line is, many many people like the progression servers. if you are looking for a server that was exactly the way EQ was when it first came out, then yeah you will be disappointed.

other than that i prefer the progression servers to the regular server which are completely dead until you get to endgame content.

although i haven't played on all of them so some may be more populated than others.

I've seen people pay thousands of dollars for bots in mmo's for all sorts of automation functions

And they are never anywhere near as good as a regular semi-competent player. well maybe stupid redundant stuff like mining or fishing :

Even the best bot wouldn't be able to react to varying situations that arise in different exp camps.. not to mention you have to time your pulls while concentrating on your dd's dps and controling your mage with heals / rest cycles.

mage would probably be the easiest to automate for exp but dps and puller would be pretty hard... and you would still lose out on additional dps your mage/healer could provide.

I'm here to tell you though.. just because you duo or triple box.. or use a ton of bots / automated programs.. in no way means you are good.. or even competent at a video game.

You probably would be ok at exp playing one of your avatars.. but nobody is good enough to control an army of characters solo and keep up with what a regular party could do.  Not gonna happen.

Either way.. I prefer not to use bots or duo or triple box.. it ruins the immersion for me trying to focus on more than one character at a time..

and when you start automating stuff... you're not even really playing the game anymore... slippery slope etc :o

I've seen people pay thousands of dollars for bots in mmo's for all sorts of automation functions

And they are never anywhere near as good as a regular semi-competent player. well maybe stupid redundant stuff like mining or fishing :

Even the best bot wouldn't be able to react to varying situations that arise in different exp camps.. not to mention you have to time your pulls while concentrating on your dd's dps and controling your mage with heals / rest cycles.

mage would probably be the easiest to automate for exp but dps and puller would be pretty hard... and you would still lose out on additional dps your mage/healer could provide.

I'm here to tell you though.. just because you duo or triple box.. or use a ton of bots / automated programs.. in no way means you are good.. or even competent at a video game.

You probably would be ok at exp playing one of your avatars.. but nobody is good enough to control an army of characters solo and keep up with what a regular party could do.  Not gonna happen.

Either way.. I prefer not to use bots or duo or triple box.. it ruins the immersion for me trying to focus on more than one character at a time..

and when you start automating stuff... you're not even really playing the game anymore... slippery slope etc :o

personally, i don't use any programs or even macros when i box my guys. sk, cleric, wizard is pretty damn easy to box to be honest.

but you are right that its not as good as a group with people all playing one character. the main issue is pulling but i have a friend who plays a monk and shaman who does all the pulling for me.

when he is there the pulls are fast. the only real hard part that causes a problem when boxing (for me at least) is in certain indoor zones where you have to dungeon crawl or when mobs cannot be split and need to be mezed.

that is only when i have to play all 5 characters though. by the way, never said i was good because i box, i was just making a point that even i who always have a full group and a wizard to port me any time i want cannot get anywhere near max level in a week.

correct me if i am wrong but always having a full group, even if i am boxing, is better than sitting there waiting for a group or soloing for far less XP, right?

no matter how you try to spin it, you cannot get max level as fast as you claim. another thing i forgot to mention is you cannot always find a decent spot to form a group either because the stuff is often camped because the server is so packed.

you saying that the progression servers will get merged soon really says it all, that is so far from the truth lol

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Progression servers will more then likely merge after PoK. I only say that because thats when the original EQ started to lose alot of players. Right now the top guilds are trying to crush eachother on Fippy. Twisted Legion & Citizen are trying to collapse eachothers guilds so the survior  can dominate the server. Once PoP comes out hopefully the guilds in the back ground can gain some traction due to the lockouts that were established during the PoP era.

As for server strength right now. Id say its very stable. I can easily find a group. Maybe not in the 0-10 range so much but after that, its pretty easy to find a group.

As for the server not being Original EQ. Yeah its not original EQ, but its not Live EQ niether. And not because there are no AA's. the server will have AA's in the next 3months. The xp on the server has been throttled down. Only reason there are guys who can lvl to max in a week is because EQ has already been master'd. Everything there is to know about EQ is known.

That is my one issue i wish i could change about the progression server is that the devs get off there fat asses and make new content for the progression servers and just add it to the live servers aswell so it doesnt mess anything up. I know how to get to max lvl on EQ u know how to get to max lvl on EQ, we've all done it. so id just like a new route is all.

Though i havent done content from velious to Live because the Army took my time so when id try to go back i just couldnt never get back into the eb and flow of things. This server gives me a route to do so.