Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 maining PVP?

mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

This game looks like it might be good.  Is it maining PVP? PVE? Both?

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

A good mix of both.

Theyre bringing some great things to the genre as well as making some nic eimprovements to things from other games on the PVE side with their Dynamic Events System, the great lore, housing, etc.

Just like GW theres also going to be some great Arena style combat, and new to GW2 is going to be WvWvW (WorldvsWorldvsWorld) combat in an area called The Mists, an expansive PvP zone with objectives & resources to control where 3 different servers fight eachother constantly for control of The Mists and which servers you are fighting will rotate on something like a weekly basis.

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62

most of what i have seen implies it is more PVE than PVP:

dynamic world events,

quests created for immersion rather than the cliche text boxes

but if you are already aware of those features, your guess is as good as mine.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by lenybob

dynamic world events,

That's because they haven't started releasing information about PvP. They are still working on it and they have this policy to not talk about stuff until they feel that they are ready to be shown to the public.

So... stay tuned for more PvP info in the future. :P

• JaxaarJaxaar Member Posts: 73

PvP in this game is going to be soooo f***in' crazy =__=

Do y'all know how many players are going to be in 1 of the sides in the 3 way PvP battle?

at a time i mean... when i first heard of this, i immediately thought of a PvP battle with

300 players going at each other (100 in each side)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The pvp is gonna be interesting to learn about and Im looking forward to it. I will guarantee you though, that you will never see 300 people on your screen at the same time battling it out. At least not with this game.

• mafia514mafia514 Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by Jaxaar

Do y'all know how many players are going to be in 1 of the sides in the 3 way PvP battle?

at a time i mean... when i first heard of this, i immediately thought of a PvP battle with

its unlimted so theres no cap at all you may even see like 1k on each side

• JaxaarJaxaar Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by mafia514

....like i said... it's going to be f***in' crazy O.O

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Yeah i cant wait.. sad thing is, F2P games have managed to pull of largescale warfare like this, but very very few P2P games have. It will be nice to seeit happen in GW where we can get all the mayhem of massive wars + the quality of Guild Wars

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

What I like about this is that there are no healers or tanks (dedicated ones anyway). When I was playing WAR back in the day the big battles were going snorefest many times which was very tiring. WvWvW is gonna be a slaughterhouse ala -kill or be killed-, which I find very appealing to me.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

It's all about demographics. The primary demographic, the people whom the game will sell to, are PvE players. PvP players are more likely to stick with the likes of Mortal Online, Darkfall, EvE, and even the original Guild Wars anyway, seeing this as a 'themepark game.' So the PvP is inevitably going to be a bit of a sideshow. It's going to be better than the PvP in, say, WoW, but I wouldn't count on it being a focus. I'd say that the focus is probably around 80% PvE and 20% PvP as far as development is concerned.

The game has to sell, after all, and as it stands the PC PvP crowd is a minority's minority and vastly outnumbered by all sorts of other demographics. Even the co-op demographic outnumbers the PvP demographic. And like I said... with the amount of money they've poured into this game, they need it to be a success.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

It will be like Guild Wars 1:  you can do PVP or PVE or both, as you prefer.  Or you can change your mind about which you prefer every day, and still do what you prefer each day.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

It's all about demographics. The primary demographic, the people whom the game will sell to, are PvE players. PvP players are more likely to stick with the likes of Mortal Online, Darkfall, EvE, and even the original Guild Wars anyway, seeing this as a 'themepark game.' So the PvP is inevitably going to be a bit of a sideshow. It's going to be better than the PvP in, say, WoW, but I wouldn't count on it being a focus. I'd say that the focus is probably around 80% PvE and 20% PvP as far as development is concerned.

The game has to sell, after all, and as it stands the PC PvP crowd is a minority's minority and vastly outnumbered by all sorts of other demographics. Even the co-op demographic outnumbers the PvP demographic. And like I said... with the amount of money they've poured into this game, they need it to be a success.

not so sure about that.. for many the PvP will be the only reason to buy this game, quoting DFO and Mortal isnt really a good example as both of those games are very bad at PvP... (which is why so few people actually play them..) the WvWvW is something that hasnt really been seen since DAOC and Planetside.. at least in any kind of numbers.. and if the battles really are capable of sustaining hundreds of players in each 'team' then it will be a major selling point... for the PVE side of things.. there is WoW after all, which has tonnes more content for PVE'ers ..  i won't go into WoW's PvP though.. as its rubbish.. the fact that  GW2 doesnt have any healers etc, probably will be an issue, but in the end it just means that individual players are expendable.. it will be the 'team' that will be important. should be interesting image

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

I wish the WvWvW wasn't unlimited. I have a computer that can run almost anything at at least high (if not Ultra) and I know the whole damn thing will fry if I have  3,000 of GW2s characters on my screen at once... They will have to have a feature like Aion to completely hide people, and I despise doing that for obvious reasons. Large-scale battles are great but only if they have a way to handle the stress... which at that kind of level just does not exist. Cap them off at like 100 per team.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by ichimarunico

I wish the WvWvW wasn't unlimited. I have a computer that can run almost anything at at least high (if not Ultra) and I know the whole damn thing will fry if I have  3,000 of GW2s characters on my screen at once... They will have to have a feature like Aion to completely hide people, and I despise doing that for obvious reasons. Large-scale battles are great but only if they have a way to handle the stress... which at that kind of level just does not exist. Cap them off at like 100 per team.

i think Planetside had 4 or 500 players in any particular area, but.. you wouldnt get them all on screen at any one time.. depending on terrain even you might not see more than 50.. but its just that kind of environment that makes it exciting..  the only question is how quickly before you can respawn.. or if you can respawn even.. as frequent deaths will be inevitable..  in a way i'd like to see the 'counterstrike' approach, where you only get a single life for each battle.. but im guessing that would probably be a bit too hardcore for many..  they will have to implement some kind of mechanic though to rationalise it and keep the PvP meaningful in the process. image

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

You cant know! If its balanced enough I bet there4 will be very many PvPers. Also depends if its interesting enough

• VelronVelron Member Posts: 23
    Guys the only real reason they have been pushing all the PVE info and not the PVP is because GW1 was known as a PVP only game and they are trying to show everyone that that is NOT the case with GW2 (and actually wasn't with GW1 either but it had that reputation).
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by ichimarunico

Interesting point. I probably would not even bother participating if it was not unlimited. If there is huge lag or crashes with everyone fighting over the same spot, then the developers failed technically, in my opinion. I don't mind not being able to see everyone on the field as long as I am still able to affect them. I don't think the game has tab-targetting, so that should make it even easier to do so.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Palebane

*snip*

Interesting point. I probably would not even bother participating if it was not unlimited. If there is huge lag or crashes with everyone fighting over the same spot, then the developers failed technically, in my opinion. I don't mind not being able to see everyone on the field as long as I am still able to affect them. I don't think the game has tab-targetting, so that should make it even easier to do so.

Just to clear something up... the game does have tab-targeting. Just that certain skills (AoE, cone, etc.) require certain degrees of manual aiming.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

Just to clear something up... the game does have tab-targeting. Just that certain skills (AoE, cone, etc.) require certain degrees of manual aiming.

Ah, ok. I was told you were unable to tank or heal because you can't tab-target.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

Ah, ok. I was told you were unable to tank or heal because you can't tab-target.

What does tab-targeting have to do with tanking or healing. TERA has a free targeting mechanic and yet you can still tank or heal.

The reason why GW2 won't have "traditional" tanks is because the game has no aggro-generating mechanic, so you can't force mobs to attack you and only you. It won't have "traditional" healers because everyone is their own best healer, thus making the role obsolete in the game. Try to remember that.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by megera23

Originally posted by lenybob

dynamic world events,

That's because they haven't started releasing information about PvP. They are still working on it and they have this policy to not talk about stuff until they feel that they are ready to be shown to the public.

So... stay tuned for more PvP info in the future. :P

The game will have more PVE content than PVP content  IMO,that doesn't mean that their is not tons of PVP content. You only have to look at the differeance between GW and this game.

Five Starter Areas  Dynamic Content with 1200+ Events - Five man instances-Personal Stories the list goes on for PVE content.

Okay they have not released everything about PVP content but we have a fair idea.

WvWvW+Arena-GvG..

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

I've agreed with almost all of your posts Dream but this is not one of them.  GW1 had a very competitive PvP background, and GW2 could even surpass that.  With healers being gone and it taking on more of an FPS class balancing approach the whole competitive game could take on a whole different level never seen before in MMO's.  Also, WvW is going to bring in all those who loved DAoC.  WAR is where most of your PvP crowd has been at over the past few years, and its likely it will pull them in too.

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

Oh, huh. I was interested in this because of all the PvP in GW1, didn't realize it was a PvE game.

Interest suddenly lost.

• sly_1sly_1 Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by caalem

Oh, huh. I was interested in this because of all the PvP in GW1, didn't realize it was a PvE game.

Interest suddenly lost.

Everything I've read indicates the pvp will be equally strong in gw2 as it was in gw1.  In at least 1 key way it will be VASTLY better: in gw1 you had to grind to obtain skills.  You also *had* to pve to cap elite skills.  In gw2, pvp toons will come max geared with all skill sunlocked out of the gate meaning you won't have to grind pve ever, unless you want to.

I think whats going on, is they are putting a lot of energy into better pve to go along with the already top notch pvp, and some people are interpreting this enhanced pve as somehow they are abandoning pvp.

Time will tell but my money is on pvp equal to or better than gw1.  If it is "just as good" but with modern graphics, new skills and new tactics/strategies open, then imo that is win.

• VelronVelron Member Posts: 23
    It is NOT a PVE game! It has both PVE and PVP. PVP forms are structure 5v5, pickup 5v5 as the 2 arena options and then you have WvWvW PVP for the DAoC style PVP.

They have no yet released PVP info that much intentionally because they want to break way from the reputation GW1 had as a PVP-only game.

One of the head designers has said his favorite part of GW2 is the WvWvW PVP and is where he will spend most of his play time post launch.

So rest easy please.