Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMORPG would you like to have a sequel? And with what flaws fixed?

Jarko89Jarko89 Member UncommonPosts: 9

Hello all guys, it's almost my first post on this amazing community :)

I'd always been wondering what's the MMORPG players want back the most, and I think this is the most suitable place to hear and exchange opinions with other gamers :) 

So here I am: what's the MMORPG you would like to see a "II"? It can be the sequel of a dead one, like a Shadowbade II, or a still-running one, like UO II, or even a more recent one, like a WAR II. 

Since this topic is likely to have been already treated, I'd also like to add another question - probably the crucial one: how should this "sequel" you'd like to see be different from the original? Which flaws, bad designs & other problems of the original should be fixed in the sequel of your dream?

:)

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Auto Assault 2.

Only this time, not shutting down almost right away.  More interesting things to do out of your car might help with that.

... but yeah.  Any RPG where you can level up just running people over and doing flips over canyons is okay in my book.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I would love to see a sequel to Asheron's Call that stays more true to the original. AC2 was just too much of a deviation.

Things I'd like to see a bit different in AC 3, as it were. More races, yes the 3 different versions of Human fit the lore, but I feel turbine was a bit lax with adding new races, it took them basically a decade before players were given a lot of different choices.

Return of the spell economy. Magic was originally a versitile element of the game. The less spells were used by the entire population, the more powerful they were, is a simplistic explanation. Spells had to be researched and some components were random. Originally, wouldbe mages kept their recipes to themselves, and tried different combinations of components to obtain a spell. There were even some who did so alone, because others could decipher the spell through the magical words which were spoken during spellcasting. Of course, SpellPea became popular, and finding your random tapers was a matter of plugging known variables into a database. Spell research was taken out, as well as the need for components.

Bring back the spell econ, research, and components. Make the spell economy a personal thing, which would force mages to rotate spells, which means they would need to hunt various things based upon their weakness. Research could be something more variable, like adding in a certain component to make your spells do different things. Like adding an additional "wild card" compoenent that changes the nature of the spell. So a flamebolt spell could have splash damage once it hits something, or turn your icebolt spell into an aoe. Bring back components, and have components loaded into a spellbook, along with the variable comps to change things up a bit for mages.

Add in different attacks for Archers and Melee. Hell even make those attacks researchable, like give them a smallish pool of special attacks, and when used in different orders it creates a different end effect. Once a "flourish" is learned, it's added to your "spellbook" and can be used. However, you can only keep so many flourishes in your "spellbook", so you might need to just manually create a combo if you need something different. Like adding a bleed effect instead of a stun or something.

Also, keep magic important, but also allow for other avenues so that non-magical characters can exist more easily. Like alchemists can create oils to turn normal attacks into fire attacks for so many charges or minutes.

Finally, keep the skill system, it was great. However, they need to make sure that all skills have a purpose, and that things like the different weapon skills all serve an actual purpose. Make people really decide. Like weaponskills having pros and cons, so that folks might even feel the need to take more than one weapon skill.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Meowhead

Auto Assault 2.

Only this time, not shutting down almost right away.  More interesting things to do out of your car might help with that.

... but yeah.  Any RPG where you can level up just running people over and doing flips over canyons is okay in my book.

this   ^^

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Asheron's Call but with swimming this time and ships and exploration in place. Exploration society when you explore you get special exploration experience or points. Give it treasure hunting as well like UO had.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

In before angry swg vets.

For me, Dragon Empires.  It failed before release but it's the game I would love to see. So the fix is the broken issues that caused it to not release.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AuxiliaryAuxiliary Member Posts: 90

Guildwars.... OH SNAP.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Chronicles of Spellborn..

No facemashing 1-4.. It had a interesting combat system and was very balanced.. I don't think it was given a fair shot and had no real advertisement.. I would like to see the mechanics brought to life using another engine or maybe just revisioned...

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

HAHA!!! 

Just give me the CU version of SWG and I would be thrilled...

I liked the CU better than Pre CU...But I'd take Pre CU as well with some fixes...Especially to the Jedi/Hologrind which I did not like much...I prefered the Village by far...image

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Star Wars Galaxies. I want SWG 2.

Same original concept... Realistically represent the original trilogy time period of "living in the Star Wars galaxy."

Major flaws fixed?:  Give the game a Mass Effect 2-style of combat and hire someone who actually knows what SW cities should look like.  The original SWG's cities ando ther Points of Interest were so badly done, art wise, that they were painful to look at.

But yes,  SWG 2 sandbox world, no NGE... no free Jedi.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

DAoC.

Just update everything to make it fresh, never add pve raids, and bingo. Best game ever.

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

World of Warcraft.

... PSYCHE!

Seriously though, Shadowbane or Earth & Beyond would be nice. Both need updating to the modern day, technically. Shadowbane could really do with a decently coded engine and tighter controls (not a fan of point n click moving).

Always read the small print.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Ultima Online - 

I'd really like to see them remake UO with a better graphics engine. Keep the same original 2.5d view. Just better graphics. Say the graphics of HoN or something similar. Also keep the game staged around the time of trammel arrival or before. They didn't need to add skill scrolls, ninjas, and all of the other strange things they did. The basic game was the best part about it. Everyone was equal with up to 100hp. You could build your character however you liked it, and it was balanced. Housing, sailing, and the best damn thief system on the planet. All it ever needed was better graphics.

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

War, but make it DAOC 2 (in mechanics and number of factions etc) like it should have been.

Also use John Blanche's vision of the Warhammer world instead of the art style they went with.

• xsidurax22xsidurax22 Member Posts: 21

Star Wars Galaxies re-vamped with modern technology but true to the pre- CU flavor of the game.  Best MMO ever.

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Atlantica Online.  This game made turn based strategy combat work extremely well in an mmo setting.

The one fix would be to change the cash shop so it wasn't pay to win.

Originally posted by theinvader

World of Warcraft.

... PSYCHE!

Seriously though, Shadowbane or Earth & Beyond would be nice. Both need updating to the modern day, technically. Shadowbane could really do with a decently coded engine and tighter controls (not a fan of point n click moving).

Shadowbane was very cool conceptually -- it just failed due to bad coding and an outdated engine.  I'd be all over Shadowbane 2.  

If you're interested, Darkfall Online is a pretty cool revision of the same sort of game in a 3D environment.  It's somewhere between ultima Online and SB in its style.  I played Darkfall on and off for a good year or so before getting bored.  Just find a good clan and you're set.  I think there's a free trial for it.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

It's been SIX YEARS! Can we PLEASE stop whining like children about NGE?

ffs. The grieving process takes less time than this.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Originally posted by Golelorn

DAoC.

Just update everything to make it fresh, never add pve raids, and bingo. Best game ever.

This and do something to stop all the damn healbotters.

Just saying SWG pre CU / NGE was a good game that's all.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Matrix Online with more of a sandbox fill to it. Explore Zion or the Mech world, join the war vs Machines or just live normal and be a supporting merchant, command your own Nebuchadnezzar ships as a leader . In Zion allow us to farm raw material in our underground city out skirts where danger lurks. Allow us to explore on ground, build bases, fight off Machines or other exile Zions, find secrets explaining more about us loosing the war, new technology etc.

Allow us to explore the Matrix system fully, grant us the choice to live fully in the system. Join  Machine factions, Merovingian faction and Zion faction in the system. Help the real world out from the system or make it worst. Much more would be added but it is just my dream :(

Allow us to explore the Matrix system fully, grant us the choice to live fully in the system. Join  Machine factions, Merovingian faction and Zion faction in the system. Help the real world out from the system or make it worst. Much would be added but it is just my dream :(Matrix Online with more of a sandbox fill to it. Able to explore Zion or the Mech world, join the war vs Machines, command your own Nebuchadnezzar ships as a leader . In Zion allow us to farm raw material in our underground city out skirts where danger lurks. Allow us to explore on ground, build bases, fight off Machines other exile Zions, find secrets explaining more about us loosing the war, new technology etc.

Allow us to explore the Matrix system fully, grant us the choice to live fully in the system. Join  Machine factions, Merovingian faction and Zion faction in the system. Help the real world out from the system or make it worst. Much would be added but it is just my dream :(

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

I don't think with me, it's the fact that games need to have sequels. I think I just find it funny when games that don't deserve to have a sequel get one. *cough*asda2*cough*

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Neverwinter nights! Oh !@#$ nvm cryptics making it o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• warblade2002warblade2002 Member Posts: 51

Perpetuum 2. I know Perpetuum just came out but the dev team made a lot of mistakes and lost a large number of players. Hell even a new server with a special event might be good but in any case. Perpetuum 2 learn from past mistake; example insurance fraud, dupe items and mechs, fix the pve issue, and do a large open beta to let players get the word out. Pvp is great and its a great game, but from a mmo stand point 200 active players not a active mmo.  

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Everquest but more true to everquest style than what EQ2 was, I just hate wow for making every game turn easy mode.....or a SWG 2, I didnt mind the nge or cu, still played after it updated just the community went away...

Kick to the Face.

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

Dark Age of Camelot. As other said, keep it focused on PvP game elements being important. Changes I'd like to see?

- Get rid of PvE raiding EXCLUDING a meager handfull of PvP contested dungeon zones. Darkness Falls was goshdarn FUN when it was released. Let's see it again, and include a couple more with *careful consideration* taken on their design, content, and how world PvP determines who "owns" the zone and how it can be turned over.

- Kill the healbot issue with the simple addition of a Range of Concentration based buffs. Around 60 to 100 meters should be fine. The Devs back in the day stated they were going to impliment this exact thing to do away with the AFK buffbots at portal keeps, but then backed down due to money generated from those extra accounts. Bastards.

- Keep gear as being "the top of the line" being created from characters with crafting. Period. If you want to add in a snazzy weapon or armor piece as a rare treasure from a PvP contested dungeon - Fine. Simply allow a crafter being necessary to upgrade it a further step as being "the best". Keep crafters in the loop - the game was long remembered for taking this route pre Trials of Atlantis (which sucked).

- Get rid of the /stick command.

- Find ways to emphasize players being rewarded for leveling from the upper middle levels to end levels in the Frontier zones, rather than leveling to endgame levels the safe way in home nation zones.