Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which payment method do you prefer?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So yah!!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• Crake_1Crake_1 Member Posts: 82

B2P all the way, supplemented with a cosmetic cash shop.

It would provide enough income to keep content development coming without requiring a commitment from players. The cosmetic aspect of the cash shop is key, of course...nobody likes P2W.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Guildwars is by far my best deal on compter games, followed by Daggerfall and Pirates (C-64 version)  and Biowares Neverwinter nights...

• morritzmorritz Member Posts: 28

I prefer a game that's worth a monthly fee.

Not all games are good enough or offer enough, and for those I prefer a great f2p model.  I've yet to give a single dollar to a cash store :)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Loke666

Guildwars is by far my best deal on compter games, followed by Daggerfall and Pirates (C-64 version)  and Biowares Neverwinter nights...

NWN was awesome! I loved the persistent servers! @_@ lol. 

But yah I voted buy to play as well just because its not filled with hassle unlike F2P or subs.

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

B2P.

I don't like subscription games or F2P games because they usually are very grindy in order to keep you paying or sell you exp boosts. It is too obvious sometimes.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I voted Buy 2 Play obviously, since I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 mostly for that and the WvWvW. However what is the difference between Freemium and Free 2 Play?

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Master10K

I voted Buy 2 Play obviously, since I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 mostly for that and the WvWvW. However what is the difference between Freemium and Free 2 Play?

Freemium usually includes a subscription alternative

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Angry_ElfAngry_Elf Member Posts: 3

I just posted about this a couple of days ago on my blog:

Why the Future of MMORPGs is Free To Play

If you had not heard Funcom announced that Age of Conan MMORPG will be re-launched this summer with a free-to-play business model and a new name: Age of Conan: Unrated. So I thought this was a good time to talk about the pricing business model of our favorite MMOs. If you have seen my previous YouTube video Game Review Format Part 1 you will know that I think the traditional Western subscription model for MMORPGs is not sustainable in the long term.

The global massively multi-player online role-playing game (MMORPG) market will continue its rapid growth trajectory in 2010, as described in the latest report from the Strategy Analytics Digital Media Strategies service, “The World of MMORPG: a Tale of Two Regions.” This report reveals that the MMORPG market exceeded $5 billion in 2009, a 17% annual growth, primarily driven by the momentum of Asian online game companies. This study also forecasts global MMORPG revenues will reach $8 billion in 2014.

The global MMORPG market has become a tale of two regions. Blizzard Entertainment dominates the slowly growing US and European markets, while Shanda, Netease, Nexon and NCsoft made Asia the major region for MMORPG market growth.

“Faced with fierce competition from social games and console video games, MMORPG in the Western market has already shown signs of a slowdown,” remarked Martin Olausson, Director, Strategy Analytics Digital Media, “The traditional subscription model that most Western MMORPGs adopt has lost traction and growth momentum.”

“Contrary to the flattening Western market, the Asian MMORPG market has grown immensely since 2007, due to the successful virtual items-based revenue model. As more Asian online game companies target US and European markets, they will become a formidable force in the global gaming industry,” added Jia Wu, Analyst in the Strategy Analytics Digital Media Strategies (DMS) service.

Since 1997 we have had a succession of MMOs that have expanded the Western market and have also acquired a majority stake: Ultima Online, Everquest, and WoW. If the above analysis is correct the era when a single MMO can dominate the market and charge a monthly fee is coming to end.

Take a look at the 2010 LOGIN conference presentation by Fernando Paiz the Executive Producer of Turbine’s Dungeons and Dragons Online on “How to create a hybrid business monetization model 101”.

So the future is looking up maybe in a couple of years your favorite MMO will be free to play.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I think B2P, provided they can manage to stay away from the F2P cs trappings.

Second would be F2P, since the MMO structure in general seems have a hard time keeping my interest long enough to even feel the effects of the upper lvl CS abuse anyways.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Given the question the poll is a bit silly. With the stigma attached to F2P games of course people would prefer a B2P model such as guild wars. Why pay a subscription if you don't have to?

There also seems to be this misconception that B2P is a good thing. It's not. There is only one successful B2P game on the market and to be quite frank it's really not very good at the MMO part, all it's good for are PvP matches and single player. Even with the amount of money P2P brings in for developers we still hardly ever get good MMO's, the chances of getting good ones via B2P would be even slimmer if everyone adopted that model.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Kabaal

Given the question the poll is a bit silly. With the stigma attached to F2P games of course people would prefer a B2P model such as guild wars. Why pay a subscription if you don't have to?

There also seems to be this misconception that B2P is a good thing. It's not. There is only one successful B2P game on the market and to be quite frank it's really not very good at the MMO part, all it's good for are PvP matches and single player. Even with the amount of money P2P brings in for developers we still hardly ever get good MMO's, the chances of getting good ones via B2P would be even slimmer if everyone adopted that model.

First off, almost all successful games on the market are B2P.

If you're talking about successful MMOs, there are uh... well, none I can think of, off hand.

I mean, Guild Wars isn't really an MMO, nor was it ever meant to be.

Guild Wars 2 is going to be the first AAA (Or maybe at all) MMORPG using the B2P model.  So if it does well, and is a good MMO, that would give B2P a 100% success rating.

If you're throwing a lot of money at people and they can't do a good job... maybe the problem isn't that you're not throwing enough money at them.  :T

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I voted for the subs. I was picturing the OLD sub games, where your subscription got all the game content without cash shops. I'm not all that big on vanity items, but buying the game to start with and a sub every month should cover all that the game offers.

I realize this era has passed, though...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I chose a game with subs as in MMO terms those are the only ones that have kept my attention.

However,  my favorite payment model wasn't on the list.  The one I like most is when the game company pays ME to play.

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

buy to play

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Kabaal

Yeah I don't understand why the "B2P" model is preferred when technically there hasn't been a real mmo that is b2p yet. I prefer p2p personally but I won't pay for an mmo unless I think it's worth it (not many are). 

- If Diablo 2 or GW1 were subscription fees I would of never played them. 

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Well if P2P makes games AAA, then I want pay by the hour games.. That should make them AAAA games right?

While I like all types and have played my fair share of P2P and F2P (with GW being my only real B2P), I have to say that I feel that F2P gives me more freedom when it comes to my time.. I am not a "srs biz" #1 Pro type, I don't have to have the best in everything so I do not feel obligated to blow 500 bucks in a cash shop. That being said IF I determine that a F2P game is worthy (and not just some copy pasted money grab, famous for some korean companies) I am willing to "donate" 15-20 bucks a month for some CS items and fluff..

Sub fees are not an issue, you can get ALOT of gameplay out of 15 bucks and 1 month, but thats just it.. I have played so many P2P games (which are also B2P, which can become a huge negative if they don't last) that had nothing left after the first 2 months when people start hitting max level.. Some games like AION, people praise and pay into just because they had to buy it and pay to play it, even though it plays EXACTLY as a F2P would (Did anyone actually BUY RFOnline like I did a while back??), and if I find the game dull, I have nothing but a decorative box and jewel case to stare at..

Every P2P that has gone F2P so far (even Fallen Earth and Pirates of the Burning Sea), I have bought and played at sometime or another.. With the market shift is it even worth it to invest in P2P's anymore? Can we count on them as being F2P's in the near future anyway?

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Buy to play is by far the best.  Freemium isn't bad either as long as buy to win isn't excessive.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Buy to play is the only way I don't feel ripped off at some point. Not surprising, though, companies are finding ways to cheapen that experience as well.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

P2P  I like getting content and fixes all the time instead of just at exps. 

Then B2P  worked for GWs don't see why it wouldn't work for others.   

I would also be willing to pay per hour or pay for content patches, but any game with MT even if for vanity items is no go for me as they kill any chance at a good economy 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243

Its kind of funny to me that alot of people seem to think that B2P is the next best thing since sliced bread - even though I am sure many have not even experienced a B2P payment plan yet.

I actually think that alot will be turned off from B2P as they realize they need to shell out $50 (or whatever) as each content pack is released. Now, I have no idea how often GW2 will be releasing content packs. But if they are releasing packs every 6mos, I think alot of these supporters will start to hate that they need to spend $50 every 6mos. to "keep up with the Jones'".

Even tho a $50/6mos release would be cheaper than a $15/mo subscription. People seem to have problems shelling out large sums of cash rather than small nominal increments.

At any rate, I will be very curious to see how the B2P model pans out. GW1 is not a good indication to me as the majority of MMO gamers do not play it (for whatever reasons). This will be interesting.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

im surprised people choose subscription. B2P all the way.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

P2P all the way.  Why they say?  Cause it keeps a lot of the kiddy/griefers out, not all, but most.

• Crake_1Crake_1 Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by disownation

Its kind of funny to me that alot of people seem to think that B2P is the next best thing since sliced bread - even though I am sure many have not even experienced a B2P payment plan yet.

I actually think that alot will be turned off from B2P as they realize they need to shell out $50 (or whatever) as each content pack is released. Now, I have no idea how often GW2 will be releasing content packs. But if they are releasing packs every 6mos, I think alot of these supporters will start to hate that they need to spend $50 every 6mos. to "keep up with the Jones'".

Even tho a $50/6mos release would be cheaper than a $15/mo subscription. People seem to have problems shelling out large sums of cash rather than small nominal increments.

At any rate, I will be very curious to see how the B2P model pans out. GW1 is not a good indication to me as the majority of MMO gamers do not play it (for whatever reasons). This will be interesting.

GW1's "every six months" model was unsustainable at the time, because they were trying to release entire new campaigns as stand-alone games (that fully merge with your existing account) rather than expansion packs. Thus, charging full retail price was justifiable. But they couldn't keep to that schedule.

Maybe since they've abandoned the stand-alone model of content expansion, they could actually release every 6 mo's if they wanted to. I doubt they will though...it would just end up makign the content poorer in quality for having been rushed, and the people who would by an expansion every 6 mo's will still be there to buy if it takes 8 mo's or 9 or whatever.

You do have a point about dropping larger sums of money vs. small transactions. That's why people can spend hundreds in P2W cash shops without realizing what they're doing. Also why people can accidentally spend $40 on apps for their shiny new iPad within minutes of owning it. All I can really say in relation to GW2 is that the expansions will be priced like expansions, because that's what they'll be. They won't be priced the same as the initial base game purchase, like GW1's campaigns were.

I think B2P is a great model. My sincere hope is that GW2 will be the game that proves you can get a AAA game without paying every month. Other genres having been doing this for quite some time now in the form of DLC content, which is another can of worms in itself, but it proves that the model works.

Edit:

Okay, I might as well open the can of worms a little. Companies like Activision have been able to get away with charging more for less in their DLC because those kinds of games aren't based on amount of content in the first place. I don't see that problem translating into an MMO because if a game doesn't offer a meaningful amount of content, we simply won't buy it. An MMO is all about content, whereas an FPS is all about sensory stimulation no matter which map you're playing for the 5000th time. If an expansion/DLC doesn't offer us good content, it won't be successful.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by disownation

It can give free content packs. just like how subscan charge for box+cash shop+expansion

And what? 50$ for content pack? it would bearound15-20% for 6 months or 50$ for yearly

( o.o)
    (")(")

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

For players it should be buy to play, unless you can't pay a cent then it's obviously free to play. For me it's buy to play, currently playing starcraft 2 for the amount I paid it was such a steal... Why would I pay subscriptions when I can buy games like Starcraft 2, Guild Wars (1 and 2) , Diablo 3.