Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not a wow clone! An EQ2 clone...

Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

Interested in the title from the hype on this site, I watched several videos of gameplay on youtube, and I came to the conclusion it was almost EXACTLY like watching toons with slightly different models run around in a "previously unseen" EQ2 expac.  I know we see enough of this kind of thread around here, but... damn... come on.

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Game mechanics are entirely different, graphics look very different, uses a very different graphics engine.

I have no idea what similarities you see but I don't see them sir.  I respectfully disagree entirely.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

I'm gonna go with... neither... it's much closer to Darkfall without all the fail. It's Hybrid... somewhere in the middle of sandbox and theme park.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Everything is a clone of everything now.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Reminds me of that episode of South Park called 'Simpsons Did It'. Butters tries to come up with plans to cause chaos but the Simpsons had tried everything he came up with, at the end Stan explains that everything's been done before so who gives a shit, however we still have these little roaches that spam 'clone' on forums.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

I'd say it's closer to Vanguard than EQ2, but I guess it does have some very broad similarities to EQ2...mainly that it's an MMO with quests and crafting. The models really aren't that similar, unless you mean the Eastern style models SOE pumped out a while back, and the housing is fully integrated in to the world in AA, where as it was instanced in EQ2.

My own personal thoughts are that AA is closest to a mix between the much remembered SWG and Vanguard. It has the player cities of SWG and the ships and big open feel of Vanguard. I do believe it will be better than Vanguard though, and I'd hope it has the social appeal of SWG...and the intense crafting that game had.

I think it's fairly obvious to even the biggest troll that this is not a WoW clone...unless you take in toa ccount that they're both MMOs. That's it.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • anthonyman6anthonyman6 Member UncommonPosts: 73

You people SERIOUSLY piss me off.

READ about a game before you make such stupid threads. Videos do absolutely NOTHING. I can name 30+ things this game has that WoW does not.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

There are some games where calling "Clone!" is accurate. ArcheAge is not one of them. This is so far from WoW or EQ2 that I can't even fathom where you drew the conclusion. They're both set with swords and shields? They both have magic? That's about all I can come up with, unless you go with the above posters "They're both MMOs!"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by ichimarunico

There are some games where calling "Clone!" is accurate. ArcheAge is not one of them. This is so far from WoW or EQ2 that I can't even fathom where you drew the conclusion. They're both set with swords and shields? They both have magic? That's about all I can come up with, unless you go with the above posters "They're both MMOs!"

Arcahge has cloned the themepark grass, im not playing it now.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

What exactly is the difference between EQ2 and WoW?

One has solo questing with a focus on end game, and the other has???

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by Golelorn

What exactly is the difference between EQ2 and WoW?

One has solo questing with a focus on end game, and the other has???

Frogloks

• ant211ant211 Member Posts: 54

theres always going to be similarities that cannot be changed

arent all cars in general made with a steering wheel, seats, engines?

same characteristics but a ferrari isnt the same as a ford...

ultimately there have to be similarities within each product genre, its unavoidable

there will always be something to compare against another

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

from the teaser i saw they took a lot of page from a lot of different games.it might seem wrong but i dont believe it will be their biggest hurdle.their biggest hurdle will be the fact that if they try to send this from korea to america they will be limited to a 5 mb /s pipe(yep it is that bad of a pipe ,oh network provider could rise it it is just a small progamming mod and maybe connecting unconnected fiber.but i highly doubt corp will do that .so unless they they use differential compression algoritm or implement server in america(why would they? they have huge data pipe in korea and all around them is a almost 3 billion people market

america?about .350 billion we re so low in number that i highly doubt they will bother with lot of quality on the amrican side and i cant blame them.

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62

there arn't 3 billion people in korea.

there isn't 1 billion people in korea + japan + laos + indonesia... and all those speak different native languages so would need localization.

there is only 1.2 bill in china, and 7 or 8 billion on the planet. even if i assume my perception of growth is wrong and there are 9 billion, 1/3 of the global population aren't in korea.

back to cloneing... when you are aiming for the same demographic you take the best of what your competitors offer, and then change the worst, and then add your own personal flavor on top. (by 'you' i mean the company as a person)

there is:

magic and swords

'classes' which constrain diversity of play style

mounts (though done differently)

text questing

crafting (some seems different)

housing with the abbility to locate your house where you want (idk of anyone who did this)

target based combat with hit chance- rather than personal latency combined with personal accuracy combat

... and more

even if most seem to be attributes ripped/cloned from other games, it is because they work. target based combat reduces the amount of info needed to go down the line. and because these are combined with other things that are done differently the overal gameplay is changed. the nuances, however contrived, are the personality of the game. the nuances are what change the ballance.

if i made a game with all the same features, but changed the way mounted combat interacts with unmounted combat, it would be a new game. if mounted people did substancially more damage than people on the ground, but people on the ground could knock the mounted guy off stunning him for several secconds then everything from pvp, all the way through to the economy, will function a tad bit different. do that accross a hundered different things and the game is more dissimilar than similar.

if recently obtrained items (like ore) can be pvp stolen, but only recently obtained ones, so your armor and weapons are safe. the dynamics shift tremendously. some will camp out uncommon spots to let the 'recently obtained' status tick off. others will form groups and raid miners pking for the loot, like pirates; which nessessitates classic guilds of people with like skills to create mining/herb parties. and create oligarchies for sale of the goods.

if horses also have a slightly faster than walking speed, and a run which fatigues them; or not at all. then trade caravans and mining raids will become either more common or less, same with ambushes. and if combined with pvp things liek the above or otherwise unlike most games out there, then the game will be really different.

so, is it a clone?

evolutionarily speaking, we humans all are. but that doesn't mean we are more like a lizzard than not. the degree it is or is not a clone, is irrellevant. the features are what make the creature.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

He wasn't saying that Korea had 3 billion people. He was saying that there is a large fibre network that connects Korea to the countries around it. It basically connects all of Asia even over to India and on up into Europe. At the same time the cable that connects them to us doesn't have the same data capabilities and so they would have to have something over here for better performance.

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by k11keeper

He wasn't saying that Korea had 3 billion people. He was saying that there is a large fibre network that connects Korea to the countries around it. It basically connects all of Asia even over to India and on up into Europe. At the same time the cable that connects them to us doesn't have the same data capabilities and so they would have to have something over here for better performance.

i was pretty far off, my bad.

the trans-pacific cable is pretty limiting for software written unaware of it. but also i have to wonder how it is a problem. the koreans have the most amazing internet network. 12MB/s wireless right? that is giant.

how much info could you want to transfer per seccond though?

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Whether the game succeeds or fails is not what people are saying , I am no fanboi , but calling this in a clone shows to me you have poor judgment.

The combat which is a big part of the game ,does seem very standard combat, but the rest seems to be nothing like most games out there.

Yet another thread that wasted my time.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

looks more like a Vanguard 'clone'. and no i dont take the word 'clone' as an insult anymore. its got such a broad interpretation now that anything is a clone of everything. i frankly dont care, as long as it has the elements i personally look for in a game:

meaningful crafting, broadbased exploration, unique combinations of classes or skills and races.

all of which Vanguard has.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• KatodyKatody Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by chelan

looks more like a Vanguard 'clone'. and no i dont take the word 'clone' as an insult anymore. its got such a broad interpretation now that anything is a clone of everything. i frankly dont care, as long as it has the elements i personally look for in a game:

meaningful crafting, broadbased exploration, unique combinations of classes or skills and races.

all of which Vanguard has.

Not all "meaningful", but yes all clone MMOs have that! It wouldn't be a worth MMO unless they had those features, no? I just hope it's a good twist. There's a sandbox and housing ^_^

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Agreed. The more info I read/see about this game the more convinced I am becoming that this is just a Themepark with a sprinkle of sand thrown in to claim it is hybrid and try to attract the sandbox crowd.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Entropy14

Whether the game succeeds or fails is not what people are saying , I am no fanboi , but calling this in a clone shows to me you have poor judgment.

The combat which is a big part of the game ,does seem very standard combat, but the rest seems to be nothing like most games out there.

It is quest hub based, class based with lenient death penalties so it is indeed like many other games out there. It just has some really nice GFX and extensive crafting and housing system.

It's core game play does seem themepark though.

• TaristarTaristar Member UncommonPosts: 34

They only have opened up the 2 starter continents in the CBT, players are hoping that they are more themepark and a tutorial / introduction to the 3rd continent thst is supposed to be much more sandbox. Alll anyone has been able to get their hands on so far is the more themepark starter continents.

Highly doubt the US server will be in Korea either, just for response time and to miss the bottleneck between here and there. We will have much more info before they ever try to launch things here in the US.

I like the sound of whta they are trying to do with the game but will want to see a released product or a really awesome beta before I get my hopes up too high.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Yamota

It is quest hub based, class based with lenient death penalties so it is indeed like many other games out there. It just has some really nice GFX and extensive crafting and housing system.

It is not 'Quest based' or Themepark, where did you get this information from? link plx

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

When information is limited, I guess we see what we want to see.

What I see is Shadowbane.   Shadowbane had pvp safe noobie lands with questing, intermediate lands with pvp safe zones, and a big continent dedicated to FFA castle siege pvp.    While shadowbane left a lot to be desired in many areas, its world PvP design was perfect.  I hope Acheage captures that dynamic!

• ThebozzThebozz Member UncommonPosts: 117

Originally posted by Osmanthus

When information is limited, I guess we see what we want to see.

What I see is Shadowbane.   Shadowbane had pvp safe noobie lands with questing, intermediate lands with pvp safe zones, and a big continent dedicated to FFA castle siege pvp.    While shadowbane left a lot to be desired in many areas, its world PvP design was perfect.  I hope Acheage captures that dynamic!

Agreed.  From what we have seen about the crafting system ArcheAge should atleast have that on Shadowbane.  I also don't mind the inclusion of some themepark features.  I tried to teach my wife to play shadowbane and she was so lost from the start it was rediculous.  Some themepark to get people a basic understanding of the game only makes it more accessable to a greater audience.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Originally posted by Yamota

It is not 'Quest based' or Themepark, where did you get this information from? link plx

It uses quest early on as a tutorial. Later lvls it will not be like your norm MMO with quest hubs. This has been said many times.

Class based? What? You pick 3 classes that make up your character. Not your norm Cleric, Mage, Rogue, Warrior BS. Though I feel people will still only pick combo's that work the best. Kinda like Rift sounds like it has lots of options, but not really.