Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK I see our western games going from P2P to a F2P like model at a very fast rate now.

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

But we are doing it different! I have no problem with our version of F2P model after a bit of research it change my perspective because it is not pay to win, it is pay to content. It is like a very long trial account with a few more things unlocked and that is pretty smart if you think about it. EQ2 is doing it right with there free model, upcoming free CoH seem to be doing it right, LoTR and DDO. Champions Online free model seem bogus but it is not pay to win.

Our F2P is much better vs the others out there like Conquer Online, you wont be spending $5,000 at level one with our version, think about it, we are different. 

Our F2P is much better vs the others out there like Conquer Online, you wont be spending $5,000 at level one with our version, think about it, we are different. But we are doing it different! I have no problem with our version of F2P model after a bit of research it change my perspective because it is not pay to win, it is pay to content. It is like a very long trial account with a few more things unlocked and that is pretty smart if you think about it. EQ2 is doing it right with there free model, upcoming free CoH seem to be doing it right, LoTR and DDO. Champions Online free model seem bogus but it is not pay to win.

Our F2P is much better vs the others out there like Conquer Online, you wont be spending $5,000 at level one with our version, think about it, we are different. 

But we are doing it different! I have no problem with our version of F2P model after a bit of research it change my perspective because it is not pay to win, it is pay to content. It is like a very long trial account with a few more things unlocked and that is pretty smart if you think about it. EQ2 is doing it right with there free model, upcoming free CoH seem to be doing it right, LoTR and DDO. Champions Online free model seem bogus but it is not pay to win.

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Most western fp is a hybrid system. This is why it works. Pure cash shop mmo's follow the low percentage player pays most model. This translates directly into a pay to win model. As long as western style f2p does not follow the greed based cash shop models it will likely be the direction most developers go.

F2p should only ever be a way to get new players to play and then still offer a premium option. Pay to win is self destructive and ultimately caps the player base. We see this in Eastern mmo's where companies pump out mmo clones to maintain their income level. It is like Roman imperial expansionism ... it works as long as you don't flood the market or hit a limit of expansionism. Unfortunately the expansion limit for mmo's is being hit already in the east and has long been moved past in the west (due to the smaller market and western ideals) ... which is why the late comers to f2p have adopted the hybrid model or they would self-destruct at launch.

You stay sassy!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

You still end up paying as much or more for the same content than you would if you could subscribe. The only time you might pay more via subscription is if you are subscribed for several years or are willing to pay for it with your time by almost endlessl grinding and regrinding through the same content.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I like the pay for content model. There is a healthy population, and it tends to keep the less mature gamers out of the premium areas. Win/win.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by grunty

You still end up paying as much or more for the same content than you would if you could subscribe. The only time you might pay more via subscription is if you are subscribed for several years or are willing to pay for it with your time by almost endlessl grinding and regrinding through the same content.

Its not about me. Its about keeping the game at a healthy population, and perhaps even revitalizing the game.

Look at DDO as an example. It was pretty much dead. No development and no population. Since it went f2p it has had a population boom, and its developing content faster than WoW and other popular MMOs.