Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HBO makes the best series bar none. Option (POLL)

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Ok before I start HBO kicks ass, I Finished  watching 3 of the old HBO series , starting with The Wire, Sopranos then Deadwood, man ho man those guys over at HBO know how to make a series, I'm also watching Game of Thrones,True Blood & Boardwalk Empire which I rate them a 10 so far, my question is what should I watch next (completed series only) on HBO?

P.S HBOGO Rocks!

What I saw so far:

1-10 , TEN being flawless IMO

The Wire 10

Sopranos 9

Deadwood 10

What's your thoughts on the best completed HBO series and also what completed HBO series should I watch next?

Not counting Game of Thrones, True Blood or Boardwalk Empire as they are to new, but great so far.

Comments

• SupergrassSupergrass Member Posts: 110

Personally, I consider Rome to be one of my favorite series. It has everything - wonderful sets and cinematography, great acting and dialogue, interesting characters and plots. It's basically your standard quality HBO.

Also, do your self a favor and check out their mini-series. John Adams, Band of Brothers & The Pacific, From the Earth to the Moon, Generation Kill, etc.

Currently Playing:

Nothing.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by Supergrass

Personally, I consider Rome to be one of my favorite series. It has everything - wonderful sets and cinematography, great acting and dialogue, interesting characters and plots. It's basically your standard quality HBO.

Also, do your self a favor and check out their mini-series. John Adams, Band of Brothers & The Pacific, From the Earth to the Moon, Generation Kill, etc.

I seen John Adams that was a great mini series and I'll have to check out the others, as for Rome I heard thats a good one, I will for sure check that one out.

Thanks for your input.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Band of Brothers tops all 3 of those.  But yes, HBO makes some of the best... except Dexter.  That was just a Showtime fluke :P

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

My beef with HBO is that they don't seem to plan too far ahead when it comes to their shows. For instance, both Rome and Deadwood(especially Deadwood) were cancelled way too early. Their stated reasoning for cancelling them was the cost of the sets and costumes. You'd think they would have planned for that.

But yeah, HBO rules the roost when it comes to the best TV Shows over the last six to seven years. Showtime is at their heels with shows like Dexter, The Tudors, The Borgias, and Nurse Jackie though. Starz is also making a strong play with Spartacus and Camelot, though at times it almost seems like they are trying too hard (Camelot in particular). I wish I could have said that FX was in the running as well, but with them cancelling all their best shows like The Riches, Terriers, and Lights Out, I feel like the cancellations more than undo the credit they earned getting the shows out there in the first place. They get props for Justified but I'm still very disgruntled with their inability to at least market their shows better than they have.

Even though HBO's domination of quality tv shows has been clear to this point, my money is on AMC overtaking them before Showtime does, and soon. AMC gets major points for being reliable in that every show they put out there is fantastic, where HBO follows a more "you win some you lose some" business philosophy.

There are a lot of shows out there I enjoy watching and the majority of them come on the four basic networks, but these channels are the only ones that actually put out the quality stuff. Also, you forgot to mention Boardwalk Empire which I thought was certainly weaker than Deadwood or The Sopranos, but became increasingly more enjoyable as it went on and can still be considered a quality show. I think it will really come into it's own in Season 2 and become much more popular than it currently is.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

I busted out laughing after the 8min True Blood preview last night. I swear I thought I was watching a SyFy Original. lol

But yeah, most of their stuff is really good and True Blood was great the first 2 Seasons. Then they introduced Fairies. 

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I love some of HBO series like Band of Brothers, that was the best ever. I don't like the teenybop shows like the True Blood, doesn't appeal to me.

I would argue Showtime has the best series for now with Dexter and Weeds and The Tudors.