Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Prophecy US Beta

Dynamic1325Dynamic1325 Member UncommonPosts: 70

So a new beta started here that I signed up for, but thus far can be explained with one capitalized word: LAG

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

My average ping is under 50 ms. and I have only rarely seen any latency above .4. It does occur but has not been significant for me.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • zalatoyzalatoy Member UncommonPosts: 65

any info on how is the game, is it kind of like freelancer?

• DracheSCDracheSC Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by zalatoy

any info on how is the game, is it kind of like freelancer?

Not so far, no. I was really looking forward to BP, as I was desperately looking for an MMO not unlike Freelancer. Unfortunately, so far, I've been disappointed. Without going into too much detail, I'll say that it's been a far cry from Freelancer.

True mages don't die. They strategically miscalculate.

• darthlightdarthlight Member Posts: 10

I guess you didn't play far enough, you get to choose your race/ship after the prologue (tutorial missions) instead of being stuck with the Sapien ship. There wasn't any lag during the first 2 weeks, the lag came when the population grew with lots of people in the same sector. In the release, you'll be able to switch to different instances within a sector (ie: channels in other mmo)

• RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

This game was a complete and horrible let down. Absolutely horrible. The UI is complete trash for this day and age of MMO's. If you like mindless shooter ups in space this game is for you, if you're looking for something better, pray JumpGate: Evolution turns out better then is horrible excuse of an MMO. Some days I just think we're doomed to have EVE being the only decent sand box mmo space game.

• Nikkons017Nikkons017 Member UncommonPosts: 104

Well I'll give you guys the run down as I've played since Closed Beta.

First is the games interface (UI) which the original had to be scrapped (the cool looking ones) because of preformance issues and what they have currently in place is really ugly for any modern mmo. They have also done away with the 4 sided shield system where you can shoot people engines/wings etc... again for technical reasons and you pretty much will blow up before you really notice a wing/engine was missing anyways.

If you are into the game for pvp then atleast you have some chance of enjoyment though its hard to consistently get into decent pvp fights. Most of the pvp happens in pans because that is the first pvp zone where all the newbie quests lead people into who haven't yet discovered terminal missions inside of the station so you get a lot of people hunting low level characters. Though there is a 9 level cap on who you can actually attack which prevents some ganking but the power difference between a level 6 character and a level 10 character is astronomical.

if you want to pvp on a low level char.

1. Don't waste any points in shield (its useless until level 40+)

2. max out weapons, each new level in weapons increase damage by something like 33%

Engines are nice but most people are farming for a level 5 crit engine as it almost has as good of stats compared to lvl 25-30 normal engines which is quite rediculous.

If you use a joystick for controls be aware that there are limitations compared to keyboard/mouse and you won't really be able to use tactics that well/if at all and not all joysticks are supported though some have listed work arounds on their website.

If you play for pve reasons, you are going to get bored really, really fast. The story line that was in the prologue pretty much dies when you pick your faction (Tyi/genide) and they said they will release more of it some time in june hopefully. But pve for the most part is farming terminal missions over and over and over which become harder during the 20+ level range as you use up more concentration which means you can run fewer missions before your xp gain rate goes to hell. Even then, if you craft the concentration does have some effects on the chances that your craft succeeds or not.

Crafting is absolutely horrible, especially in the 20+ range as time increases for the higher level item you are trying to craft. Installing a mod for a item takes 25 minutes where you are stuck watching a progress bar and can't go and do something else and are left to chat only. Ofcourse they will be selling premium cash shop items that reduce this crafting time. Generally all the crafting i did took 25-45 minutes each item.

Guild/Clan stations are seem pretty much useless at this point and the only real benefit is the increased bank storage since you will continuously be running out of your personal bank/ship. To get a station you make a guild at lvl 14 with 20k money and purchase the station with 200k money. Then you go about having to farm a ever increasingly huge amount of resources to "upgrade" your station. Those the one good thing is the higher level repair drones with cost about 100 money each but are useful in pvp though expensive if you use a lot of them.

There really isn't any depth in the game so far, i pretty much quit when i hit level 34 because it was just mindless grinding and more grinding without much hope for anything else. Even some of the areas, i think it was in the 28+ area it is completely void of any content. A lot of the players have left and because of the pvp level cap you really won't be doing much pvp if you are a high level because you simply can't. Most older players are making a lvl 15 twink characters and simply using their higher ups to farm for money/resources as its a lot faster.

Those this game is still in beta , it has a long ways to go and i can't see myself spending money for the cash shop items as the game is engineered to push people to use them or the game becomes an annoyance but I guess i'll check up on the game every few months and see if it has improved but i'm not holding my breath. Also this game in its current state is pretty much the released version in the EU just doesn't have the cash shop.

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278

I played it for a few days, then on the mission where you fight off the drones from the spire there was always one drone that flew outside the map and I couldn't tag him and could never finish the mission. I reloaded the damn mission a dozen times but the same thing happened, just that one ship flying, unreachable, endlessly kiting all the other NPC ships. I finally just uninstalled it and said screw it.

The game didn't do anything particularly interesting, flying always felt slow and it was painfully easy to out maneuver NPC's unless you had like 50 on you, but even then if you stocked up on ship repairs it was no problem.

This game has a long ways to go, but if it eventually turns into an EVE/Freelancer hybrid I'd probably never stop playing it. It's worth checking out, but it hasn't lived up to the hype imo.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.