Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there really rocket pigs.... ?!?

VyrolakosVyrolakos Member Posts: 143

Just downloading the trial of MO and have been browsing the forums (as you do). I spotted this post over on the official forums:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/62889-mmmmmm-1st-impressions.html

... and as I don't have an account as of yet, and can't post on there, I thought I would ask on here.

Just how broken and unfinished is this game?

I mean, rocket pigs, really?!?

Bear in mind, I'm used to Vanguard, so "broken and unfinished" has a slightly different meaning to me. image

Currently playing: Vanguard: SOH

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Rocket pigs make me smile now but at the time it was a disaster.  As far as I know this was solved a long time ago.   I would check the post date on that impression.

Just checked. . yeah that is current.  If they are back it is too bad.  SV has had trouble doing updates without bringing back old problems at times.  They are getting a little faster at fixing them though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SaunakillerSaunakiller Member Posts: 57

I´ve read about them, but haven´t encountered them myself yet. But would love to see them :P

• VyrolakosVyrolakos Member Posts: 143

Well, my trial game finished downloading at some ungodly hour this morning, and I'm now going to sign up for the trial account and go off in search of Rocket Pigs.

Wish me luck. image

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The server is currently down for extended maintenance, so you'll have to wait a bit.

But, the "warp-speed" pig problem from beta hasn't been an issue in the game for quite a while.  Obviously, they do run from time to time as they pat around in their spawn areas, but it's at a sprint, which is not the old problem that I believe people are referring to.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Oh well, that didn't last long ... or get far. "version mismatch" apparently.

Thanks for the info Rohn. I'd just spotted this on the MO forums as well.

I wish the loading screen was a little more helpful then just freezing with "version mismatch" as the only info given.

Jeez, I thought I'd downloaded the wrong version of the game or something. image

The info on their website and on the forums seems to be from yesterday.

Any idea how much longer it's going to be down?

Not that I'm eager to try it out nor nothing. image

No idea on the length of the server maintenance, other than what you've read from the announcement yesterday.  I think we're all expecting another update shortly, so hopefully we'll have more information soon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, though.  One bright spot - downtime like this has not been common, so the timing is just unfortunate.

EDIT:  They just gave an update: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/63220-server-maintance-update-20-6-a.html

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I didn't know MO had a trial.  Looking forward to checking it out.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Yep, had one for several months.  Certainly a great way to personally see whether or not you like a game.

Hope you enjoy it when the server comes back up.  Feel free to ask if you've any questions.  image

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Rohn

Yep, had one for several months.  Certainly a great way to personally see whether or not you like a game.

Hope you enjoy it when the server comes back up.  Feel free to ask if you've any questions.  image

Yeah it is great that people can finally try it out rather than listen to the ranting back and forth.   Good luck on the trial. . I am going to give it a go soon as well.   2 more weeks.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Originally posted by Rohn

Yeah it is great that people can finally try it out rather than listen to the ranting back and forth.   Good luck on the trial. . I am going to give it a go soon as well.   2 more weeks.

Agreed.  Everyone wants something different, and games appeal to different people in different ways.  Often times, there's no rationale behind it, nor is one required.  It's often hard to account for "liking" something.

Best way is to try a game personally.

Would be nice if I could try it. Still waiting for them to put the server back up! image

So...

Finally got to play MO.

Game started with me standing 'somewhere', I don't know where - as it was night time and pitch black so all I could see were the stars up above (quite nice looking). I stumbled around in the dark until I (literally) bumped into a merchant (I think).

No lanterns or burning torches in the starter area for night time... What is that about?

Strange and bewildering first experience.

I died twice, neither time at the hands of another player.

First time, I got stuck in a rock and couldn't figure out how to get unstuck - so suicided. I appeared next to a priest (?) in a completely different location, with no people, animals or much of anything with about 10% of my hit points. I wondered off looking for civilisation and got lost.

Second time, I fell of a steep drop while trying to find my bearings. This time I had to 'find' the priest (?) in the etherworld. This took a while and I ended somewhere else, even more remote. I now have about 2% of my original hit points. At least this time there were animals around (pigs, boars and wolfs). I stumbled upon a palisaded town (I think), there was no apparent way in, so I'm not sure.

I was accosted by a passing stranger. I say accosted ... somehow I have been lumbered with a pet horse. I didn't agree to the pet or even start or engage in conversation, they just dumped it on me as they passed by. How does that work, you don't even get the chance to turn it down?! So, now I have a pet horse that I have no idea how to use, and the bugger just follows me around.

I have a couple of questions:

How do I get my hit points back?

How do I ride the (pet) horse?

Where do I get a torch/lantern from, as I 'm dreading the next nightfall?

Is there a list of text line commands?

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Yeah I am not in anyway putting this game down, but I had a similar experience as the above poster..

Pretty much the most horrible confusing and forgetable trial I have ever played..  I am all for sandbox type games but still new players need some sort of direction especially if they dont have any friends currently playing ...

Today went a lot better!

I randomly stumbled upon a very helpful player who spent ages showing me the ropes and getting me back on my feet. Don't believe the hype about everyone being a rabid murderer. There are good people in MO.

The game definetly has 'something', it's just that it struggles so hard under the constant graphical glitching and server resets. I've only played for just under two days (casual evening play), and I can see why people like this game. image

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

the gaming is awful those first few days, the first time i installed mo  iwas so excited reading upon it etc. But when i got in game i have to admit i was disapointed after spending 30 minutes making armour only to die to a wisent completly confused by the game i think i didnt paly it for like antoher 3 days later contemplating what i had purchased. However i stuck with it and have palyed mo from early beta to now and i have to say it was worth sticknig out those first few weeks. It is in no way excusable that sv have little to know help at the begining of the game for new palyers, However the community has done a great job of providing videos and information on the main forums about how to play the game and surivive in MO. In this game you seriously need to read this, you cannot simply pickup mo and know how to play it the game is very complex.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.