Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Bad Developers know why we distrust/hate them? Do they care?

13»

Comments

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

They would care, if the opinions of mmorpg.com were the sentiments of their customers, and if those sentiments caused enough damage that they can't net a huge profit before they destroyed whatever brand it is they are milking.  If these are true, then they either change their behavior, or shrink into obscurity.  Apparently, both of these are NOT true, so they'll keep doing what they are doing.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Nah. I think most developers are like politicians. They sit in their ivory towers and aim for the dumb masses to accept every shit they do, and we are lost to live without any alternatives.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

We are being opressed at every turn

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Seeker728

CEO's care about only one thing, the bottom line.  And they will savage anything in the chain of sales to get it, because the bigger the bottom line, the bigger their bonuses.  That's the nature of the beast, pure and simple.  You as a customer will only matter if you either buy or don't buy the product.  

Because it would be silly to speak out my ass about things I know nothing about, I will qualify my following statement accordingly:

Of the CEOs in the games industry that I have actually met and interacted with, each one of them seemed invested, interested and knowledgeable about the games they developed/released. It's disenchanting to hear that your experiences were otherwise.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by Loktofeit

CEO's care about only one thing, the bottom line.  And they will savage anything in the chain of sales to get it, because the bigger the bottom line, the bigger their bonuses.  That's the nature of the beast, pure and simple.  You as a customer will only matter if you either buy or don't buy the product.  

Because it would be silly to speak out my ass about things I know nothing about, I will qualify my following statement accordingly:

Of the CEOs in the games industry that I have actually met and interacted with, each one of them seemed invested, interested and knowledgeable about the games they developed/released. It's disenchanting to hear that your experiences were otherwise.

He has a point about publisher CEOs, many developer CEOs are very passionate about their releases because they care about games and simply like good games but publishers are a whole different kettle of fish.

They act like business men from every other industry sector, they just see the games as a product and want their products to be profitable. They probably wouldn't know what makes a good game a good game or a bad game a bad game or even play games at all.

The way the interfere is sometimes very obvious like when they insist a games been in development for long enough and they want a return on investment ASAP so a game if forced to meet deadlines when its simply not finished, other times they insist on features being added or removed to try and increase sales.

To the men in suites a game is no different than a toaster or car tires but the problem with the entertainment industry is that a large factor as to how well received a product is comes down to opinion.

Whether a game, book or film is any good depends on the customer and its harder to nail down than making sure something like a home electronics product has good features and is reliable and good value.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think the key word there is seemed.  Maybe a matter of perspective.  From my perspective, a general consumer, people like Bobby Kotick have shown to only be interested and invested in how much money he can generate from games.  That's going by speeches and interviews as well as behavior of those companies directly or indirectly in his control.

I'm sure there are some that are, but maybe they just aren't the majority anymore.  Or, maybe they are just good sales people.

The longer I familiarize myself with the gaming industry, the more shady it seems.  I mean even the little stuff we already knew just seem worse when they come right out and say it.  Like all the Duke stuff with reviewers.  We've known for a while, but to hear it said out in the open somehow makes it even worse.  That level of brash.  The industry needs a large injection of morality straight into the heart.

• Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Elikal

Nah. I think most developers are like politicians. They sit in their ivory towers and aim for the dumb masses to accept every shit they do, and we are lost to live without any alternatives.

Change developers to publishers and I'm with you. Games will continue to suck as long as they are made by publicly traded companies who have a feduciary responsibility to maximize profit (insidious IMO) which means spending money on innovation with no previous incarnation to substantiate the belief it will work equals a lot greater risk than rehashing game mechanics that have definately generated sales, subs and sequels before, making taking those risks a responsibility you may have to answer for in court if they felt their money was spent haphazardly. The fact is telling the various publishers how much you hate them means nothing, because if you don't hate them enough NOT to buy, they don't care. You see, in most consumable data, the giant producers deal with far to many customers to please everyone, so what they focused their efforts on was on producing products that were just good enough for you to not turn your tv off ,change your radio station, or decide there isn't enough in any particular game to be worth the money to buy it. Its a race, not to the absolute bottom, but to the lowest common denominator.  A place that gets your average to below average evaluator of quality to consume at the expense of alienating the most discerning 5-10%. From a detached business point of view, it made sense from too many points of view to ignore. Lower quality requires less expense to produce for the same sales price. Lower quality requires fewer promised features to generate a sale. Dumbing down the product allows ease of access to your product for the widest audience available, etc. and the list goes on. No, it will have to be a labor of love for truly great games to reappear in the mmorpg space, and these guys are not the ones to do it.

• fehorufehoru Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Auxiliary

Activision Blizzard takes the cake for me, but that is only because I loved Blizzard too much.

Valve is generally considered a great company and loved by all, but personally I don't like them at all. They forced Steam down our throats by making it a necessary service if we wanted to play Half Life 2. I silently obeyed and enjoyed HL2 and many other games over Steam, but I much prefer the model their competition uses.

Ahh Valve...

The only gaming company, so far anyway, That I have decided will not get any of my money ever again. Period.

They cannot make up for what they have done. It is unforgivable.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

You speak as if the forum communities are all united as to which companies they distrust/hate.