Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW no longer #1 on Xfire!

PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Don't know if it's a big deal but WoW have been the most played game on Xfire since forever.

Now for the first time in several yeaars it has been passed by League of legends. Pretty impressive to go from a small indy game to this. (especially with all the server problems..)

http://www.xfire.com/games/#

If WoW = The Beatles
and WAR = Led Zeppelin
Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Every other month or so for the last 6 or 7 months, Modern Warfare knocks wow off the number 1 spot.  Though it has happened twice in the last week or so which is a first since i've been paying attention for the last year or so.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Main reason: f2p.

HoN is better imo and if it was f2p and LoL was b2p (like hon) then HoN would be where LoL is now or even better. It's quite sad how some people accept LoL as esports game.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

FAIL.....

Seriously though that is big news for a game thats dominated that chart for 7 years? Is this the start of the decline or just an anomally?

Cal.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

xfire numbers mean absolutely nothing. 

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I can understood why as soon as I saw the game that knocked it off. League of Legends is an extremely solid game that is fairly easy to get the hang of. Plus, it's free.

However, Xfire looks at number of players and minutes played, not quality of game. League of Legends does actually have more people using it than World of Warcraft so the amount of minutes played will accrue faster but it hasn't been out as long as World of Warcraft.

So it seems that League of Legends is more of a time hog than World of Warcraft? image

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

The number of X-Fire users playing WoW is 29K?  That's not even close to a relevant sample size ;P  For it to make ANY sense - we'd have to have a reliable population count for LoL - which there isn't unfortunately. 

If LoL had anywhere NEAR the number of players that WoW has subs - they'd be crowing that number from the rooftops.  All X-Fire tells us is that around .5% of the WoW playerbase uses it (and that's being conservative at 6 million ;P)

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Tyrantas

HoN is better imo and if it was f2p and LoL was b2p (like hon) then HoN would be where LoL is now or even better. It's quite sad how some people accept LoL as esports game.

Well that's just your opinion.

212k people watching LoL live stream from Dreamhack

and maybe 18k watching HoN

I found HoN to be really bad compared to LoL. The ugly and generic art style was a big turn off.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• tilo430tilo430 Member Posts: 3

everyone in wow is taking time off and waiting for patch 4.2 check the numbers in 2 weeks

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Papadam

I found HoN to be really bad compared to LoL. The ugly and generic art style was a big turn off.

Ya, cause you know LoL has wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better graphics then HoN. /sarcasm off

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394

Population has dropped no doubt, but the thing I am more inclined to belive is more and more people realized how big a pile of steaming poo Xfire is and either got rid of it, or move to Raptr like I did.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Killswitch34

Ya, cause you know LoL has wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better graphics then HoN. /sarcasm off

No but LoL looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than HoN.

Talented artists>Advanced graphics

Just like WoW looks way better than for example EQ2.

But thats not the point of this thread.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

And League of legends is a spinoff of a custom map on WoW's predecessor Warcraft 3. :D

Anyway League of legends- it's fairly good and free. It's a competitive game that isn't fps and you don't have to spend hours on hours like a mmorpg advancing. However the makers of LoL they're a bit of a one trick pony- they've got a good model, and they churn out the champions but they're not really advancing LoL in any other way And they have a serious problem whereby people who have spent money into the game(in terms of champions, skins etc) and there are queues of 2 hours whereby they're having to wait as much as the f2p player. (not that there should be queues like this in the first place..)

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by spades07

However the makers of LoL they're a bit of a one trick pony- they've got a good model, and they churn out the champions but they're not really advancing LoL in any other way And they have a serious problem whereby people who have spent money into the game(in terms of champions, skins etc) and there are queues of 2 hours whereby they're having to wait as much as the f2p player. (not that there should be queues like this in the first place..)

That's some of the main reasons I stopped playing LoL. Everyone on the forum was always, "THE GAME IS FREEE EL OH EL, WHY YOU COMPLAIN!?!!" I mean really? You really expect the game to stay a live from no one paying a dime?

And the lack of re-balancing old characters/new content that ISN'T new champions.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by Neiko

However the makers of LoL they're a bit of a one trick pony- they've got a good model, and they churn out the champions but they're not really advancing LoL in any other way And they have a serious problem whereby people who have spent money into the game(in terms of champions, skins etc) and there are queues of 2 hours whereby they're having to wait as much as the f2p player. (not that there should be queues like this in the first place..)

That's some of the main reasons I stopped playing LoL. Everyone on the forum was always, "THE GAME IS FREEE EL OH EL, WHY YOU COMPLAIN!?!!" I mean really? You really expect the game to stay a live from no one paying a dime?

And the lack of re-balancing old characters/new content that ISN'T new champions.

I have been playing LoL for 1 year and haven't payed anything, the only thing you can't buy with in-game money is skins which give no advantage whatsoever. There is a big update coming to the game after Dreamhack that adds a lot of features and hopefully the new map.

• yevgeniiyevgenii Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Eliandal

The number of X-Fire users playing WoW is 29K?  That's not even close to a relevant sample size ;P  For it to make ANY sense - we'd have to have a reliable population count for LoL - which there isn't unfortunately.

Yes, yes it is- 29,000 is MORE than enough, by a wide margin.

Most polling organizations use 1k-3k for their national samples. And they get pretty darn accurate results.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by Killswitch34

you are completely missing the point.

warcraft 3 engine for example is extremely old... still warcraft 3 has much better art style than hon or lol.

thats ofcourse personal opinion just like with all style related thingies...

except maybe the fact that hon is just a huge clusterfuck graphically, game is not played for its graphics, but teamplay so why put so much particle effects like some cheapass asian mmo.

yes thats not opinion, thats a fact - dota and lol has much more simple effects and thats whats important in competitive gaming.

anyway i dont see the point in f2p argument, the popularity is whats important here... in recent years f2p games have huge competition among them.

• FigureFigure Member Posts: 128

Who seriously still uses Xfire.. I tried to get my Xfire account deleted like four years ago and they wouldn't do it.

Currently Watching: TSW. << Very Eager for a Beta invite. Have experience with Beta Testing.
    Not personally a big fan of raiding or current pve endgame mmo philosophy. Nothing wrong with it, I just sort of burnt out on it.
    Hardcore raider in wow from Launch to.. about 7 months ago.
    Currently Playing: Champions Online.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Wow I remember using Xfire to play Wolfenstein, people still use it? This was like... 2004.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by revy66

Originally posted by Neiko

I have been playing LoL for 1 year and haven't payed anything, the only thing you can't buy with in-game money is skins which give no advantage whatsoever. There is a big update coming to the game after Dreamhack that adds a lot of features and hopefully the new map.

I couldn't grind enough in that game to constantly buy champions that are 6300 IP, while still buying runes. So I bought new champions once in a while, as well as tons of skins.

You can't seriously believe that the game can run off of free players only though can you? 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I was more surprised at how high LoL's numbers were.

Btw, looking at it WoW has even a chance of diving to the no3 spot, the difference between MW and WoW isn't that large.

However, comparison between games in a tool like XFire is funny, but no more than that. Take for example Raptr and you'll see that the ranking list is a completely different one.

It's however a fact that WoW has seen a continuous decrease for the last half year, all player activity tools show a sortlike decrease in player activity and numbers. We'll see where it'll be after a few more months.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I get nothing under that link ... well, whatever, really.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

LoL is the best game based on DOTA (HoN is meh). People addicted to that sort of stuff (aka dota) play all day :D It reminds me of Counter Strike. People play it for hours on end, all the time. 

Anyways lets see how long LoL can keep it up? A day? Two? A week? Or maybe more?

LoL is also absolutely free unlike WoW where you need to pay a sub + buy the boxes!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Originally posted by fivoroth

Anyways lets see how long LoL can keep it up? A day? Two? A week? Or maybe more?

One day, WoW is back to #1.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Not that Xfire is any sort of reliable gauge to tell who is playing what but COD and LoL just topped it...

• norme69norme69 Member Posts: 11

People still use Xfire? I haven't signed onto that in years.