Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am i missing something

doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736

I am currently on day 3 of the 14 day trial, but i think im missing something that everyone here is seeing.

Dont get me wrong, i think the game is good, but as of right now, on the Trykker "newbie island" i havent seen anything to get me attached for a long period of time... I do the same thing as i do in other mmorpgs, tasks for NPCs, random grinding.  I have 18 in fighting, 8 in magic, 10 in harvesting.

Maybe the game will get better once i get off this newbie place, but even on this island i see very little people... i feel like im playing single player.

Comments

• RohenRohen Member Posts: 143

The refugee islands are really lonely cause not many new players these days, soooo I should say move as soon as possible to the mainland now. And don't be afraid of using the region chat and asking for help... ::::39::

• crightoncrighton Member UncommonPosts: 48

hehe newby island is a pain image 

like rohen said get to mainland image

• KibsKibs Member Posts: 411
    Yes get to the mainland asap :)

-----------------

Kibs

Playing: The Saga of Ryzom since march 2004

• brithlembrithlem Member Posts: 6

People sometimes tell others not to leave noobie islands before lvl XX or lvl YY... that is nonsense in my opinion.  You will find more players on the mainland ... hands down.  As it's not a multi-player game without others.... this is a big perk.  Moreover, the same mobs that are on noobie island are also on the mainland... just more spread out... and with other... more difficult things mixed in. 

I came to the mainland at lvl 1... just to see... I'm alive.. well... and still playing today... so it is possible.

-Bri

• vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

not only is he alive, but he's a mighty guild leader :)

And don't bother with the single missions, we all agree they suck.

• mmattommatto Member Posts: 135

Issue of new player appeal has been brought forward couple of times before and I think you have a correct point there. I remember reading in some of the recent executive producer's letters that this issue is one point in their priority list.

Other than that, getting to mainland and guild helps a lot. I like guilds Evolution and Illuminati in Tryker lakelands. Ballistix Mystics rocks with their best Ryzom fansite but I do not know their people.

• ZuckerDocZuckerDoc Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by doobster

I am currently on day 3 of the 14 day trial, but i think im missing something that everyone here is seeing.
    Dont get me wrong, i think the game is good, but as of right now, on the Trykker "newbie island" i havent seen anything to get me attached for a long period of time... I do the same thing as i do in other mmorpgs, tasks for NPCs, random grinding.  I have 18 in fighting, 8 in magic, 10 in harvesting.
    Maybe the game will get better once i get off this newbie place, but even on this island i see very little people... i feel like im playing single player.

Actually, you are very astute.  I played for about 5 months before I realized that the game had nothing except making levels.  None of the "living world" stuff that was the focus of their initial marketing has ever been put in the game. 

Going to the mainland doesn't change the above.  Yes, it's much bigger, and there are more players, but the overall lack of content and anything to do except level is still the same.

Doctor Z.

• RohenRohen Member Posts: 143

Then why did you play for 5 months...? ::::37::

Originally posted by Rohen

Then why did you play for 5 months...? ::::37::

As an older player with young children, my gaming time is quite limited.  I had perhaps an hour or two to play some days.  I did enjoy the game to begin with, as learning how things worked was challenging and interesting.  I also kept expecting that I was being given a period of time to build my character before the real challenges of the "dynamic world" were introduced.  However, it turned out that there was no dynamic world, and once I understood how things worked the novelty wore off.  There was nothing else to replace it.

I initially subscribed for 6 months.  I hardly played at all the last two.

Doctor Z.

Hello Z, I remember you from the forum :)

I still have hope for the game, even with the failings you mentioned (and I agree on some but not all of them).

I still have hope because of a recent DCC's letter, not sure if you have read it yet:
    http://www.ryzom.com/?page=news&id=773

And because of the recent addition of Jessica Mulligen, who imo, understands very much the long & shortcomings of mmorpgs.

I also admire DCC's vision, and I know, you will want to say, you can't expect players to have fun base on hope and vision.

Not askin you to, but I feel that Nevrax deserve a better chance to build their vision moreso that SOE and Blizzard.

They have the foundation, they just can't quite carry through to the promise land, and I am guessin it's due to lack of actual financial and human resource. They just need the players support.

And if they succeed in building what they intend, oh boy!

eta: but I am also still having fun with what's there now, mainly from players interaction.

Hi and thanks for the greetings!

Yes, I was active on SoR forum until my subscription ran out.  After that they don't let you post anymore.  Thus the only ones posting on the forum are the ones who like the game enough to keep paying the monthly fee....which gives a distorted picture.  But that is another discussion for another day.

I have absolutely nothing against SoR or especially against the players, most of whom are TERRIFIC people.  In fact I moved with a person I met on SoR over to EVE, so I built a relationship on SoR that is still lasting after I finished with the game.

As far as where SoR is headed, I hope you are right.  I hope they give some meaning to their world.  I put less stock in DCC's letter (which I read when it was posted) than you do, I guess.  First of all, it's rather vague generalities.  Second, they've been talking so much about so many different and scattered things (the ring, the outposts, now this letter) that it's hard to know if they themselves have got clear priorities.

If they can build a dynamic world where my actions affect things, a great PvE experience, I'll be back.  I just don't see the game going in that direction, and their track record over the past 8 months doesn't exactly inspire confidence (and then there are their financial problems).

I'm going to disagree with you slightly about the player support issue.  This is a commercial product, not a charity, or a religion.  If people are enjoying the game, by all means they should continue to pay their subscription.  But no one has any obligation to support the game because it might eventually get better.  If Nevrax wants more players for support, then they need to build a game that appeals to more people.

Regards,

Doctor Z.

If they can build a dynamic world where my actions affect things, a great PvE experience, I'll be back. I just don't see the game going in that direction, and their track record over the past 8 months doesn't exactly inspire confidence (and then there are their financial problems).

When that happen, I'll let you know ;)

There're recent events though that are causing quite a bit of a stir. But I don't think it's quite what you want. It could be the beginning of something exciting, or it might not. Trust me though, I'll let you know if it is ;)

Fair enough!

I also keep an eye from time to time on the SoR site, in the hopes that perhaps they will come up with something better.  I have not closed my mind to returning should that be the case.  I did not delete my toon or give away all my stuff.

Doctor Z.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

If SOR is having trouble putting better content into the game because of money issues there is one outstanding reason why.

They didnt advertise the game enough. I have seen many good games fall to the wayside because of this. At the local walmart I can find city of heroes and WoW and eq2 and even eq but I dont see Saga of Ryzom. If people dont know the game is out there, how can they play it. Keep the advertising up--keep the game in the publics eye and players will come. With the money coming from players good games like this one should have no problem with money shortages hindering the advancement of a good game.

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by ZuckerDoc
    Hi and thanks for the greetings!
    Yes, I was active on SoR forum until my subscription ran out. After that they don't let you post anymore. Thus the only ones posting on the forum are the ones who like the game enough to keep paying the monthly fee....which gives a distorted picture. But that is another discussion for another day.
    I have absolutely nothing against SoR or especially against the players, most of whom are TERRIFIC people. In fact I moved with a person I met on SoR over to EVE, so I built a relationship on SoR that is still lasting after I finished with the game.
    As far as where SoR is headed, I hope you are right. I hope they give some meaning to their world. I put less stock in DCC's letter (which I read when it was posted) than you do, I guess. First of all, it's rather vague generalities. Second, they've been talking so much about so many different and scattered things (the ring, the outposts, now this letter) that it's hard to know if they themselves have got clear priorities.
    If they can build a dynamic world where my actions affect things, a great PvE experience, I'll be back. I just don't see the game going in that direction, and their track record over the past 8 months doesn't exactly inspire confidence (and then there are their financial problems).
    I'm going to disagree with you slightly about the player support issue. This is a commercial product, not a charity, or a religion. If people are enjoying the game, by all means they should continue to pay their subscription. But no one has any obligation to support the game because it might eventually get better. If Nevrax wants more players for support, then they need to build a game that appeals to more people.
    Regards,
    Doctor Z.

I completly agree with all of this. I also keep an eye on the ryzom website and read DCC's letters. the problem is that every single one of his letters since way back in beta has been nothing but visions of what Ryzom will be someday. That was encouraging the first 6 months. The problem is when you keep saying "imagine a world that is alive, where the players have control, where the story makes a differnece..." over and over and you can't even get updates in your game on a regular basis your vision stops being encouraging and simply becomes hype.

Simply put new players aren't going to sign up and old ones are not going to return based upon vision. They will based upon content and game progress. Both of which the game has lacked for a long time now. (and before you say spring cleaning, that is not progress, that is fixing things that should of worked in the first place).