Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Season 4 patch notes for tribble.

2»

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Hmm, can anyone provide a link or offer the name of the thread that was locked?  Seems like it would be an interesting read.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=217322  Depressing reading , but a great summary. Of course it's locked now that it embarassingly exposes Cryptic .

Thanks for providing the link.  I bookmarked it to my browser so I can read it at my leasure.  Perhaps I can repost it here in the MMORPG forums if it dosent break forum rules somehow.  Im sure people would love to see Perrigrine's work.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by blazin-ace

Did I read that correctly in understanding the company doesn’t really intend to support the KDF side until they develop a larger player base? Then, frankly it won’t happen.

I bet Cryptic wishes they had never added the KDF into the game. The idea of a PVP faction looks good on paper but they were not in touch with what the majority Star Trek MMO Theme Park audience really wanted from factions in the first place. They’ve never been able to build a consistent PVP player base of any size in either current game for a variety of reasons. It would have been better to save the KDF for a dedicated PVE expansion with a more game encompassing and segregated PVP system for all players.

Once the middle of December 2009 passed, and those of us in closed beta found out what the Klingon 'faction' actually consisted of, many of us that were looking forward to mainly (or only) playing the Klingon faction begged Cryptic to hold off on launching them, and asked them to release the Klingons as the first esxpansion (even if it was a paid expansion) once they had the time to do them as originally intended. Cryptic was very insistant that they would be in at launch. It wasn't until after launch that we discovered, from comments he made in interviews, that Jack Emmert had insisted they be in at launch.

Since they launched the Klingons as a half-baked 'faction,' the Klingon player base is only about a third of what it should be. Since the base is so small, Cryptic has been using that as justification for nearly ignoring the Klingons; they bring out that 12% metrics figure when someone brings up the subject.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by blazin-ace

A little disturbing too but lol.

Not really; Peregrine_Falcon just grew tired of people trying to rewrite history in order to say that the Klingons were always supposed to be this way. Frankly I am surprised it took this long for a threead like this; after all people were making the "They were always supposed to be this way" claim since open beta.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Thanks for providing the link.  I bookmarked it to my browser so I can read it at my leasure.  Perhaps I can repost it here in the MMORPG forums if it dosent break forum rules somehow.  Im sure people would love to see Perrigrine's work.

You should be able to post all of it; as I understand the rules here, you just need to credit Peregrine_Falcon and post a link to that thread in your thread's first post. That way you avoid any plagarism allegations.

*Edit* Doing the above (crediting and posting a link to the original), and filling in missing gaps (such as December 13, 2009 - DStahl's podcast interview was where we actually found out officially what the Klingon faction was going to be like (and what Jack was referring to at the start of his Decemebr 15, 2009 post)) should definately be kosher.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

You think they are feeling some pressure from the new owners ?  Looks like Dan's department is under going an adminstrative review.  Looks like the books/personnel are under scrutiny ?

Thank you for the many suggestions of what we should add for content and for the many posts detailing exactly what we "need".

My team is working at full capacity and new content will be added when it is ready. Any new content added to the game is done so with specific goals

In mind and takes a significant amount of time to create.

Updates may not happen as fast as you'd like. STO is releasing updates at breakneck speed given the size of our team.

Keep in mind we have to manage many players desires and requests and prioritize what is critical to do next, while considering behind the scenes business analytics that you are not privvy to.

In other words, we can't easeevwryone all the time, but we can continually improve the game.

Follow me on Twitter @ Cryptic_dStahl   

• heneoheneo Member Posts: 1

Keep in mind we have to manage many players desires and requests and prioritize what is critical to do next, while considering behind the scenes business analytics that you are not privvy to.

In other words, we can't easeevwryone all the time, but we can continually improve the game.

This is the biggest problem with the game atm in my eyes, they are focusing on what the players want like old ship designs and throwing the stuff in the CStore for stupid amounts of cash instead of focusing on advancing the already set storyline and creating end game content.

Putting most of the new stuff in the CStore will not attract new players, having a stable subscribtion base where the player knows what they are getting for their cash will.

Originally posted by heneo

This is the biggest problem with the game atm in my eyes, they are focusing on what the players want like old ship designs and throwing the stuff in the CStore for stupid amounts of cash instead of focusing on advancing the already set storyline and creating end game content.

Putting most of the new stuff in the CStore will not attract new players, having a stable subscribtion base where the player knows what they are getting for their cash will.

I don't know enough about PW and their games to be certain, but I wouldn't hold my breath on STO moving away from the C-Store development anytime soon.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    The change for combat is a huge improvement, just huge.
  • JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Lateris

The change for combat is a huge improvement, just huge.

Unless it adds a ton of new content to the game as well, STO still has zero reason's for me to log in.

New content is always a good thing right? So when is Season 4 going to be ready?

• madrugamadruga Member Posts: 226

Will be live today 07/07/2011, you can check out all the new stuff here:

Release Notes - SEASON FOUR

-----------------
    Oh well !

Originally posted by madruga

Will be live today 07/07/2011, you can check out all the new stuff here:

Release Notes - SEASON FOUR

Due to the new graphics updates that displays textures at four-times their normal resolutions (without taking up more resources), characters and ships look really good. I noticed it upfront when logging in. And my ATI runs extremely cool now with this game. The combat change the made made a huge impact for me that is positive.

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

You think they are feeling some pressure from the new owners ?  Looks like Dan's department is under going an adminstrative review.  Looks like the books/personnel are under scrutiny ?

Thank you for the many suggestions of what we should add for content and for the many posts detailing exactly what we "need".

My team is working at full capacity and new content will be added when it is ready. Any new content added to the game is done so with specific goals

In mind and takes a significant amount of time to create.

Updates may not happen as fast as you'd like. STO is releasing updates at breakneck speed given the size of our team.

Daddy came home angry, and with the belt ready to go...

Whoopin their deliquent @#$%s, one lashing for them @#$% around, two for neglect Klingon Content, three for stupid crap in the C-Store, four for just being there and looking guilty....

I am so glad someone put a boot to them... maybe hopefully they'll eventually remove that dance hall eye sore soon.