Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

take Vanguard away from SOE, they should not own it !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

No advertisement....Sure it's an older mmo, but nothing at all.

You can't find a copy in stores. Going to SOE.com you have to click on "PC Games" > "page three" to find it. Yes they have a free trial ( and it's a good one ). But you have to know about Vanguard before you would even search for it. I work with thousands of people and talk about video games and mmo with many of them. NO ONE EVEN KNOWS WHAT VANGURD IS. I'll add to this that people really don't know about any mmo other than WoW, I'll say that !!....but still nothing.

Free time is ONLY given to people that played an SOE game in the past. THIS IS NOT ADVERTISEMENT, it's giving the same people another chance.

Think real hard !....mmorpg.com is a good site for info on mmo's.....But how many people know about mmorpg.com ? Maybe about 5% of hard mmo players, and .001% of all video game players, and .000001 % of the total population. And to single out Vanguard on the list of about 100 mmo's on this site by the total population is about .0000000000001%

The population is about what you can expect from a no (none) advertisement game !

SOE, you should not own this game !!

HAY !!! Now that I read my own post, I'm thinking that a re-launch may not really be a bad idea. Change the box, give it a new cut seen, fix a few things and ADVERTISE !.... And most of all take it away from SOE !

{mod edit - Post title edited}

Comments

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by page

You can't find a copy in stores. Going to SOE.com you have to click on "PC Games" > "page three" to find it. Yes they have a free trial ( and it's a good one ). But you have to know about Vanguard before you would even search for it. I work with thousands of people and talk about video games and mmo with many of them. NO ONE EVEN KNOWS WHAT VANGURD IS. I'll add to this that people really don't know about any mmo other than WoW, I'll say that !!....but still nothing.

Free time is ONLY given to people that played an SOE game in the past. THIS IS NOT ADVERTISEMENT, it's giving the same people another chance.

Think real hard !....mmorpg.com is a good site for info on mmo's.....But how many people know about mmorpg.com ? Maybe about 5% of hard mmo players, and .001% of all video game players, and .000001 % of the total population. And to single out Vanguard on the list of about 100 mmo's on this site by the total population is about .0000000000001%

The population is about what you can expect from a no (none) advertisement game !

agreed, I think I may start another petition soon.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Can't you see the stats next to the MMORPG banner at the top of this page?

We have 414 games here :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

OK OP I read you wall of text.   What in the world does your post have to do with the title.   Honestly saying the FBI needs to step in??  What are you thinking.   What has SOE done as a criminal?   The FBI was brought in to find the hackers, this has nothing to do with who owns the game.    The FBI does not take over business unless they are doing something illegal, like money laundering or something.  So I ask you what kind of charges you are making to ask the FBI to take away vanguard.

Now if you wanted to name another gaming company then I could see that, but the FBI?    Do you even know who they are, and what they do?

I am sorry but your post title needs to be changed to something like xcompany needs to take over,  not a law enforcement agency.

• EtherniaEthernia Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by erictlewis

OK OP I read you wall of text.   What in the world does your post have to do with the title.   Honestly saying the FBI needs to step in??  What are you thinking.   What has SOE done as a criminal?   The FBI was brought in to find the hackers, this has nothing to do with who owns the game.    The FBI does not take over business unless they are doing something illegal, like money laundering or something.  So I ask you what kind of charges you are making to ask the FBI to take away vanguard.

Now if you wanted to name another gaming company then I could see that, but the FBI?    Do you even know who they are, and what they do?

I am sorry but your post title needs to be changed to something like xcompany needs to take over,  not a law enforcement agency.

I think you are missing the whole point.

Clearly the point is, is what SOE is doing/has done to Vanguard IS criminal.

Relax, it is just a forum.

:P

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by Vallador

If you are so much in love with Vanguard then make SOE an offer  - and if it will meet their expectations they will sell the game to you, so you could develop and advertise it however you please.

Until that happens - get a life -  because you sound rather silly posting on public forums business prescriptions for success in which you tell what a company should do with their own products.

Fist of all I have a life. I work for the United States Goverment, In just the past six months I've been in Germany, Korea, and now tdy in Georgia. I play vedio games about six hours a week, and all else comes before I do.......This has nothing to do with the topic, but for some reasion you think it should !

Next, I'm doing ok with moeny but you really cant expect a non business man to make such a buy....Could you ?

Last, I would never invest in ANY video game, but many will.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

HAY !!! Now that I read my own post, I'm thinking that a re-launch may not really be a bad idea. Change the box, give it a new cut seen, fix a few things and ADVERTISE !.... And most of all take it away from SOE !

euhmm.. here in the netherlands in a small village and a small local store they have vanguard on the shelves

Originally posted by Onigod

euhmm.. here in the netherlands in a small village and a small local store they have vanguard on the shelves

Very cool Onigod,

Do you think you can send some copies back to the states, we can sure use them :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I bet it's been there since launch ;)

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

And you can buy  Vanguard: Saga of Heroes for a massive £3 from amazon.co.uk and $7.60 from amazon.com

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Very cool Onigod,

Do you think you can send some copies back to the states, we can sure use them :)

And also vanguard is also on Steam.. probaly also on direct2drive and those other clones so i think the advertising for the old game is enough and it is just not appealing anymore to the larger playbase while the old vets (new gamers) remain.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

OP, Vanguard is or was well known. Is this the first time you heard of it? Back before SOE had them, Sigil owned them. They hyped it up allot before release and was all over the web. I was one of those that patcipated in the beta.

But unfortunately Sigil ran out of money and released an unfinished product. By the time of release there was a big following. But because of an unfinshed product, Sigil lost there community and it wasnt until SOE picked them up and finished the game. Not to say there isnt any issues here and there, but it has come a long way. Unfortunatly, because of the bad release and the length of time it took to repair / finish the game, a big portion of the mmo game community had already left.

As far as why you cant find the game in retail stores is because first, its been out since Jan. 30, 2007 and there is not much of a population to fund it.

You ask how many people know about mmorpg.com? Look at the forums, they are very active. This site has been around awhile. Its a very active site and the people do really well maintaining it. There are allot of contests that they run. As a matter of fact I was one of the Holiday contest winners last year. I won a copy of CoH and all its x-packs. MMORPG.com at time also hand out beta keys, and not just F2P games. Rift was the most recent non-F2P game I can think of that they released beta keys for.

I think its time for you to come crawling out of the fox hole. heh. Just teasing.

Edit: I meant to mention the Vanguard is also on steam for $9.99 if you dont want to purchase it from SOE.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

And if you use http://www.checksitetraffic.com that says that mmorpg.com has 29,244 visitors per day , not sure how accurate this is tho.

Very cool Onigod,

And also vanguard is also on Steam.. probaly also on direct2drive and those other clones so i think the advertising for the old game is enough and it is just not appealing anymore to the larger playbase while the old vets (new gamers) remain.

Sure,

And as long as you do a direct search, or come across it from viewing hundreds of titles......I'll give you that it's an older game, but so much more can be done. No tanks to SOE

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Sure,

And as long as you do a direct search, or come across it from viewing hundreds of titles......I'll give you that it's an older game, but so much more can be done. No tanks to SOE

It's a four year old game with zero current development, zero expansion packs, and which crashed and burned in its launch. Why would SOE sell physical copies in the store again?

Here's a clue -- shelf space is valuable to brick and mortar retailers. When a game sits there unsold for a while, they SEND IT BACK and clear that space for something new that will sell. If you can't find it in stores, it's because retailers don't want it there since it will just take up space that will be better served by games that they'll actually make money on. This is Retail 101.

Having Vanguard as a digital download only makes total sense. There's no inventory to take up space, no time limit on selling it, nothing. SOE can make it available to anyone who wants it anytime they want it. Isn't that what you want anyway?

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

You folks need to get off the pedestal ,  the only reason you've been able to enjoy Vanguard this long is because SoE rescued it. Have they slowly been backing off to a "let's just keep it running" stance ...  yes, is that criminal .. no. You're all lucky they even kept it running this long... the game was a broken mess that should have died in flames to serve as a reminder to developers not to repeat its mistakes. Did I enjoy it .. sure, but I reserve my rose-tinted googles for Eq and Daoc  and give credit where its due... SoE kept the game running when it should have died.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Redemp

You folks need to get off the pedestal ,  the only reason you've been able to enjoy Vanguard this long is because SoE rescued it. Have they slowly been backing off to a "let's just keep it running" stance ...  yes, is that criminal .. no. You're all lucky they even kept it running this long... the game was a broken mess that should have died in flames to serve as a reminder to developers not to repeat its mistakes. Did I enjoy it .. sure, but I reserve my rose-tinted googles for Eq and Daoc  and give credit where its due... SoE kept the game running when it should have died.

sony must have bought this game for cheap because they have been doing nothing to it for what a couple of years now, if you are not going to improve the game in the least then yes sell the game to someone who cares

Originally posted by eddieg50

sony must have bought this game for cheap because they have been doing nothing to it for what a couple of years now, if you are not going to improve the game in the least then yes sell the game to someone who cares

SoE has done plenty to the game, they made it playable for starters.

There have been several major content patchs, and for a few years it ran like every other SoE title with normal patchs. The market for the game after the horrid launch and then restructure died. The games population has struggled ever since ... so why would SoE pump it with funds when they could easily place it on life support for the remaining players who enjoyed it for what it was... a rescued game that should have never been.

Most of you refuse to give credit where it is due .... without SoE you wouldn't have played a working version of Vanguard and it wouldn't be running today.

• VyrolakosVyrolakos Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Redemp  ... without SoE you wouldn't have played a working version of Vanguard and it wouldn't be running today.

... or maybe:

without $0£ getting involved, it would have eventually been purchased by a smaller, independent production team (or anyone but SOE), and they may have taken more time and may have been willing to put in more advertising effort and perhaps could have made it into the popular and vibrant MMORPG it deserves to be?

But as they say, if wishes were fishes...

Currently playing: Vanguard: SOH

Originally posted by Vyrolakos

Originally posted by Redemp  ... without SoE you wouldn't have played a working version of Vanguard and it wouldn't be running today.

... or maybe:

without $0£ getting involved, it would have eventually been purchased by a smaller, independent production team (or anyone but SOE), and they may have taken more time and may have been willing to put in more advertising effort and perhaps could have made it into the popular and vibrant MMORPG it deserves to be?

There is certainly that possibility ,  but I'm not sure who would have been a better choice. Most of the smaller independant teams would have taken a few years to flip it back out. It would have recieved slower patching and content to boot.

The only plus side of that would be it would "Still" be recieving patchs and content, as opposed to being on life support.

Again though ... I can't think of a production team that might have done a better job with it then SoE did.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Vyrolakos

... or maybe:

There is certainly that possibility ,  but I'm not sure who would have been a better choice. Most of the smaller independant teams would have taken a few years to flip it back out. It would have recieved slower patching and content to boot.

The only plus side of that would be it would "Still" be recieving patchs and content, as opposed to being on life support.

Again though ... I can't think of a production team that might have done a better job with it then SoE did.

Yes they did make it playable as it was unplayble for most of us without super computers I think they built the trial of Isle but then they just stopped? And my point is if they are going to stop-fine- but either make it free to play , lower the mo cost or sell the game. By doing nothing they embarise themselves and tarnish their image and they let down their customer base and discourage new customers. An MMO is like a shark it has to keep moving forward or it dies

• VyrolakosVyrolakos Member Posts: 143

How about any production team (company) that wasn't producing EverQuest & EverQuest II?

I can see only one reason that SOE took on a third fantasy title, a title that directly and seriously competed with EQII. SOE have done exactly what people predicted they would, they've quietly let V:SOH dwindle away.

Had a third party production team purchased V:SOH, they would have had an absolute investment in the titles future. If it failed, they would lose future income and their jobs. As it is, SOE just reassigned the developers to EQII and future projects.

It's a shame. V:SOH has a lot of untapped potential that another production company could have taken far.

Hey ho.

Currently playing: Vanguard: SOH

Vanguard was ment to be the best mmo ever made in its time. Time greed and money steped in the way of that. If you played it at any point in time release until now you can easly see that the game was large, well figured out and everything was in there. The only thing it needed was time to finish......SOE did the bare min to make it playable.

SOE sucks, they dont ever fix there mmos, they make paid expantions ( EQ1 & EQ2 ). They can't justify a paid expantion for Vanguard because it's already a full game. So they do nothing with it.

This is why the FBI should be called in. SOE should not own it !

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

SOE only bought Vanguard to kill it. You guys do realize this, yes?

It was too good a game and Everquest felt threatened, so they waved the almighty dollar in the right faces and now we have what could have been in the hands of a company no intelligent MMO gamer would ever hand money to.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

you should be thankful soe bought it at all.

mcquaid really screwed the pooch when he misled microsoft about being able to keep a team productive or having any real focus for his design.

that game was so broken at launch.  if anything, soe got it to the playable state that its in today.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by ichimarunico

SOE only bought Vanguard to kill it. You guys do realize this, yes?

It was too good a game and Everquest felt threatened, so they waved the almighty dollar in the right faces and now we have what could have been in the hands of a company no intelligent MMO gamer would ever hand money to.

Yea their main reason for buying it was for the developers. Many of whom worked on the original Everquest. They are now working on Everquest Next. SOE ran Vanguard and Everquest 2 concurrently and further developement funds went towards the one with more players (EQ2).

And SOE actually bought Vanguard and fixed most of its problems. It the only SOE MMO that actually got better after release and wasn't destroyed with patches and other 'fixes'.