Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hackers target BioWare

aMMORPGuseraMMORPGuser Member UncommonPosts: 7

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/06/16/edmonton-bioware-hackers.html

An Edmonton-based online video game company is the latest victim of hacking.

BioWare said hackers tapped into the server for the Neverwinter Night forum and compromised the account names, passwords, email addresses and birth dates of about 18,000 users.

No credit card data was taken.

In April, a massive security breach on the Sony Playstation Network affected over 100 million online accounts.

Technology expert Jesse Hirsh believes the BioWare breach was carried out by the same group of hackers.

"I mean these are the same people who hacked the federal Conservative party website around 10 days ago," Hirsh said.

"Just yesterday they hacked the Central Intelligence Agency. Really a huge range of targets, that for the most part, doesn't really have any political or even financial motivation. For the most part, they claim they're doing it just for kicks."

BioWare customers affected by the breach have either had their accounts disabled or their passwords reset.

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

It stopped being amusing a while ago. Now it's just annoying.

What WILL be funny is when they get nailed and sent away for a couple decades on felony charges. Then maybe these children will realise that this is not a game.

• Originally posted by Wharg0ul

What WILL be funny is when they get nailed and sent away for a couple decades on felony charges. Then maybe these children will realise that this is not a game.

the exact moment that will happen is when old bubba slides up behind them

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

This is just the new trendy thing to do, I guess.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

I HIGHLY doubt the same people who hacked into the CIA are the same ones that are toying with decade-old video game websites. Unless they're just hacking lesser targets who are less likely to be able to retaliate with legal problems for practice... rofl.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Its a group called lulzsec. I imagine they're a group of 20 something college drop outs. They pretend to be revolutionaries by "hacking" things. Its been super annoying since the sony thing. They're pretty much just hardcore trolls that probably want to get on the news so that they get the illusion that their lives have meaning.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

It was never amusing.  It was always annoying.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

As a user of many of the sites that have been hit thus far (I didnt trust any of them with my CC info) this is really getting quite old.

the sooner these kids are black bagged & shipped to GITMO on trumped up cyberterorrism charges the better.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I thought Annynomous was responsible for the attack on Sony and Lulzsec was responsible for the rash of hacks since then. I have nothing against hackers, since governments pull more shady tactics over our heads then in your face website destruction. Then again, Lulzsec isn't really proving anything by semi-hacking all these sites and boasting about it on twitter. A true hacker doesn't boast publically, so Lulzsec is probably being honest when they say they are just doing it for kicks.

The lulzsec people are not "hackers" what they are doing is a DDoS attack on various gaming sites, simply to try and annoy gamers.  Its hardly hacking, its the equivalent of letting the handbrake off a skoda and sitting in it while it freewheels down hill and then claiming you are a Racing driver.

If they guy was actually half as clever as he thinks he is, he would have a productive job in network security somewhere big, fact is he just using some one elses large connection to send a flood of data to popular sites... nothing more than that really.... hardly on the same level as the actual hacks sony had to deal with.

Lulzsec might try and claim "credit" for getting into an old website that has since been replaced, Biowares only mistake here was in trying to continue to support the old NWN community alongside its newer Bioware social community.  They should have just fully integrated the two.  But to be honest, if it was Lulzsec I would be suprised as it seems a tad beyond their neanderthal minds.

Basically the Lulzsec guys are a bunch of prissy jumped up amatures who want to feel important.  If we as a collective simply ignore them, they will go away.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

First of all its not same group who hacks all these companys and secondly these are not kindergarden kids who hack your beloved game company:P

And see it as something positive instead wine about it it will make these companys alert and secure your privacy better in longrun you benefit from these so called annoying hackers.

I dont approve there actions eather, but also the companys who are been hacked are not angels themselfs eather.

And im convince many of you who curse these hackers, illegaly downloading games, music and movies if so then your in my book even worse then these hackers.

As long we have open internet we prolly will have all this bullshit. But when the major companys release good pruducts for less money we prolly will have less unsatisfying customers who try hack or illegally download there shit.

Couse and effect!

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Why don't poeple try to get the minimum amount of information before talking about something is beyond me.

People saying Lulzsec don't hack, thinking they are the same as anonymous, that they don't hack anything else but gaming companies... all those missinformations could be dealth with 3 minutes of google search. Lulzsec even have a twitter feed, and for those that are totally paranoiac and don't want to touch anything related to them, they are so many articles all around about them explaining what they do and how they do it. There is even a wikipedia page about them; is it that hard to take few minutes to read about them?

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

As I said, Bunch of kids who wanted to see their name in lights.

Nothing special to be honest, they dont impress.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Requiamer

Why don't poeple try to get the minimum amount of information before talking about something is beyond me.

People saying Lulzsec don't hack, thinking they are the same as anonymous, that they don't hack anything else but gaming companies... all those missinformations could be dealth with 3 minutes of google search. Lulzsec even have a twitter feed, and for those that are totally paranoiac and don't want to touch anything related to them, they are so many articles all around about them explaining what they do and how they do it. There is even a wikipedia page about them; is it that hard to take few minutes to read about them?

I am not a sceptic about Wikipedia pages at all, but would you really REALLY believe a wikipage about one of the biggest groups of trolls on the internet and yes they are trolls with some fancy skills :P. Those page is where my faith in wikipedia ends ;)

Also yes they do more then just DDOS attacks, I also believe they use SQL-injections and pretty sure they have found some backdoors in some systems. I believe most of the real high profile targets (CIA) have mainly had to deal with DDOS atacks, but they are arogant and will be cauth sooner or later. I doubt you can get away with attacking one of the more powerfull organisations in the world (as had it is for me to actually write that down :P). Then again will the CIA really put any resourches on a group that just do some DDOS attacks and take some login details? Beside that it seems the Jester is doing all the heavy lifting already anyways :P. 

• rik666rik666 Member Posts: 69

We arent hackers, We arent a group, We are people with that follow the same believe's,

Ofcourse a few of us are hackers, but the company's asked for it, we want full freedom of speech, and no sencuration.

We are alot of people, lawyers, engineers, parents, even your neighbors daughter.

Dont see us as a group who does this, just see us separated.

We fight for freedom of every human being, even the once who spit in our faces for standing up, we are on your side.

We are anonymous,

We are legion,

We do not forgive,

we do not forget.

Expect us.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by rik666

We are legion,

Someone need to google what a legion is. It does kinda contradict the part where you claim your not a group. Beside that you talk about we, thus a group of people. In fact from the sentiment of your post it clear that whoever wrote that feels himself he is part of something bigger. Also you come together at one place to talk and debate. 

Also personal data of people has been leaked. I REALLY would not mine NOT having those people on my side. Better a honest enemy than a false friend.

• rik666rik666 Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Coman

Someone need to google what a legion is. It does kinda contradict the part where you claim your not a group. Beside that you talk about we, thus a group of people. In fact from the sentiment of your post it clear that whoever wrote that feels himself he is part of something bigger. Also you come together at one place to talk and debate. 

Also personal data of people has been leaked. I REALLY would not mine NOT having those people on my side. Better a honest enemy than a false friend.

maybe this can make it clear for you:

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

While I can somewhat get behind the ideology of "free and equal transport of information" on the internet and that some companies might even need some butthurt to realize what that means, this is hardly the actual goal when attacking a decade old website.

It seems to me that these are just a bunch of idiots who call themselves part of the greater group to be cool, while they're just annoying people with DDoS in reality.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Let's hope that all hackers get caught by the law and severely punished to show that this criminal act will not be tollerated and sends a message to other wannabe hackers out there.

Having said that, I dare say that it won't happen as most of the criminal justice systems punishments become more lenient year after year.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Kothoses

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I thought Annynomous was responsible for the attack on Sony and Lulzsec was responsible for the rash of hacks since then. I have nothing against hackers, since governments pull more shady tactics over our heads then in your face website destruction. Then again, Lulzsec isn't really proving anything by semi-hacking all these sites and boasting about it on twitter. A true hacker doesn't boast publically, so Lulzsec is probably being honest when they say they are just doing it for kicks.

The lulzsec people are not "hackers" what they are doing is a DDoS attack on various gaming sites, simply to try and annoy gamers.  Its hardly hacking, its the equivalent of letting the handbrake off a skoda and sitting in it while it freewheels down hill and then claiming you are a Racing driver.

If they guy was actually half as clever as he thinks he is, he would have a productive job in network security somewhere big, fact is he just using some one elses large connection to send a flood of data to popular sites... nothing more than that really.... hardly on the same level as the actual hacks sony had to deal with.

Lulzsec might try and claim "credit" for getting into an old website that has since been replaced, Biowares only mistake here was in trying to continue to support the old NWN community alongside its newer Bioware social community.  They should have just fully integrated the two.  But to be honest, if it was Lulzsec I would be suprised as it seems a tad beyond their neanderthal minds.

Basically the Lulzsec guys are a bunch of prissy jumped up amatures who want to feel important.  If we as a collective simply ignore them, they will go away.

You are wrong about lulzsec. They are atm acting as some kind of internet gang, terrorising any company that they dont like. And if they obtain user information, they post it. Several times already as torrent files. And the sad part is that they are not amateurs at all. What started out as some noble attempt to show companies security flaws, is now nothing more then some kind of internet vandalism.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by souji11

Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by rik666

We arent hackers, We arent a group, We are people with that follow the same believe's,

Ofcourse a few of us are hackers, but the company's asked for it, we want full freedom of speech, and no sencuration.

We are alot of people, lawyers, engineers, parents, even your neighbors daughter.

Dont see us as a group who does this, just see us separated.

We fight for freedom of every human being, even the once who spit in our faces for standing up, we are on your side.

We are anonymous,

We are legion,

We do not forgive,

we do not forget.

Expect us.

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

As for those groups. Anonymous and lulzsec lost all credibility after they shared user information with the public. Even a poorly secured company doesnt deliberately share sensitive information.