Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514 is on the PS3-

124»

Comments

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by treysmooth

Originally posted by Bainwalker

Can't you all stop the console hate?  Both consoles are good products and personally I own both.  

Obviously CPP wante to bring the game to both consoles and unfortunately something happened and now they are not.  Is it their fault? Perhaps... but I'd be willing to bet it was more Microsoft that screwed the deal by wanting something unreasonable.  I think in the end they don't want their players mixing with PS3 players... if that happened everyone would be wondering why every game didn't have both consoles facing each other online.

Facts

- The PS3 is more powerful than an Xbox.  If you say otherwise you obviously don't know shit all about the systems inner workings.

- The Xbox has a much larger player-base.  For CoD MW2 the pre-order numbers for the Xbox 360 were near TRIPLE that of the PS3

--------------------------

Overall if it had launched on both consoles I would have still likely got the PS3 version for the free network support and Move capability.  Still, not having the Xbox support is a HUGE blow to the number of potential players.

You want to be angry? Fine.  Go ask Microsoft what happened.

If it was simply microsoft it would still have landed on the pc along with the ps3.  Dollars to donuts it has more to do with sony paying for the exclusive rights to the game, than it does with anything microsoft did. 

Sorry but you're wrong, the game was never going to end up on the PC as much as it should be.  They stated right from the start DUST 514 is a CONSOLE ONLY game.  The game not showing up on the Xbox doesn't mean Sony paid them for anything.  Could they have? Sure.  But I doubt it at this point knowing the track record of Xobx and MMO-type projects.  

Full Sail University - Game Design

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Can't you all stop the console hate?  Both consoles are good products and personally I own both.  

Obviously CPP wante to bring the game to both consoles and unfortunately something happened and now they are not.  Is it their fault? Perhaps... but I'd be willing to bet it was more Microsoft that screwed the deal by wanting something unreasonable.  I think in the end they don't want their players mixing with PS3 players... if that happened everyone would be wondering why every game didn't have both consoles facing each other online.

Facts

- The PS3 is more powerful than an Xbox.  If you say otherwise you obviously don't know shit all about the systems inner workings.

- The Xbox has a much larger player-base.  For CoD MW2 the pre-order numbers for the Xbox 360 were near TRIPLE that of the PS3

Overall if it had launched on both consoles I would have still likely got the PS3 version for the free network support and Move capability.  Still, not having the Xbox support is a HUGE blow to the number of potential players.

If it was simply microsoft it would still have landed on the pc along with the ps3.  Dollars to donuts it has more to do with sony paying for the exclusive rights to the game, than it does with anything microsoft did. 

Sorry but you're wrong, the game was never going to end up on the PC as much as it should be.  They stated right from the start DUST 514 is a CONSOLE ONLY game.  The game not showing up on the Xbox doesn't mean Sony paid them for anything.  Could they have? Sure.  But I doubt it at this point knowing the track record of Xobx and MMO-type projects.  

Then CCP truely is one of the most short sighted companies on the planet.  A mmo property getting a shooter component and it ONLY is on the console?  Waste of a good idea if you ask me but they will learn I suppose soon enough.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Facts

Then CCP truely is one of the most short sighted companies on the planet.  A mmo property getting a shooter component and it ONLY is on the console?  Waste of a good idea if you ask me but they will learn I suppose soon enough.

I agree it is a terrible choice, more so considering EVE isn't even a game you really need to play to advance in.  I think it would have been a much better idea to sell DUST 514 as an exapnsion to EVE that you can play with or without an EVE account.  Making the game a FPS that seamlessly interacts with EVE by not even having the user go back to the desktop to switch games.  

My vision is to see DUST 514 integrated so well into EVE that when a battle starts and you're in EVE and need to switch to the battle the game will zoom you into a view of the planet and do a loading screen that involves slowly zooming down to the surface of the planet where the battle is.  

I doubt it would happen.  But I so wish they would do that.  

Full Sail University - Game Design

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

It obvoiusly Microsoft greedy market what cause CCP to release it on PS3 only.

Also, I don't even think their a market in the 360 for another shooter because CoD and Halo fans will stick with those 2. It easier to compete in ps3 market what primrary in Europe and Japan with 50m. While the 360 purchase again and again when it breaks primrary in America around 55m sales. Even my Xbox broke right after i sold it. Thankfully it had warrenty.

I don't know if I'll get this game on the ps3.  I only use the console for multiplayer stuff in house. Mostly Twisted Metal. My decision will be up to how the servers are run. How are they going do the hosting with atleast decent connection!

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92

Graphics are better on PS3 when compared to a 360 but the PC destroys both and I would wager that was where many of the dust fans were counting on the game to release.  If you wanna compare user base 360/PS3 the 360 is the easy choice but you DON"T leave the pc out of the loop on a game that is part of a PC mmo universe.  Dust is dead, I have both a 360 and a PC but I'm not buying a ps3 simply to play a shooter, especially when I buy the pc versions of all shooters so I can use my high end mouse/keyboard and not a crappy controller.

CCP got greedy and took sony's money for short term gain.  The result dust will never clear more than 5k concurrent users and will be under 2000 concurrent within a month of release.  Thats my bet at least, and judging by how fickle console fps players are, I think its a safe one.

I don't know why people ever thought this game would come out on PC CCP stated it was console only from the start, they just wouldn't say which.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I think CCP is shooting themselves in the foot with this one. The console market is flooded with FPS and 3rd person shooters, and EVE Online is a PC only game. In other words, CCP is alienating their main audience (PC gamers) by bringing the game to the PS3 exclusively. The fact is that this game will not be able to compete with Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 since those will be the main FPS games for the near future. I mean, I know a lot of console gamers and I would be hard pressed to name one who would choose DUST 514 over MW3 or BF3. Most probably don't even know what EVE Online is, not to mention be familiar enough with the IP to choose playing this game over the more popular games.

It's a silly move. The game is suppose to influence EVE Online's universe but by not catering to people who would actually be interested, CCP is just wasting money.

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by heartless

I think CCP is shooting themselves in the foot with this one. The console market is flooded with FPS and 3rd person shooters, and EVE Online is a PC only game. In other words, CCP is alienating their main audience (PC gamers) by bringing the game to the PS3 exclusively. The fact is that this game will not be able to compete with Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 since those will be the main FPS games for the near future. I mean, I know a lot of console gamers and I would be hard pressed to name one who would choose DUST 514 over MW3 or BF3. Most probably don't even know what EVE Online is, not to mention be familiar enough with the IP to choose playing this game over the more popular games.

It's a silly move. The game is suppose to influence EVE Online's universe but by not catering to people who would actually be interested, CCP is just wasting money.

Maybe there enough difference to gather some audience. I mean people still play Warhawk on the PS3. If it anything like Warhawk I'm sure it can gather some sort of audience. Maybe the Corp vs Corp will make it more funner for a certain Clan type audience.

I'm really missing Planetside and If this is like that but on console. I'll totally jump in.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

E3 2011: Prediction: Dust 514 will be on PC a year after its PS3 release

This was part of an open conference Q&A, so I’ll include part of the answer here.

Dust 514 is a PS3 exclusive. Why isn’t it coming to PC?

Thomas Farrer, Dust 514 producer: We’re looking at trying to expand the players that occupy New Eden, so for now we’re focusing on PlayStation.

Cont'd...

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

There was an article from e-3 today (can't rememebr off the top of my head but ill find and link later) that stated that due to Microsofts policy blah blah blah legalese etc, that free updates could not be accomodated.

CCP would need to bundle any big changes etc new content and release it as an "expansion" every time. Basically creating fees paid to Microsoft for releaseing them thru the platform. Something to that tune.

At any rate that seemed to clash with CCP's bussiness model and yeah ....so later MS. The dev from CCP stated that after (think one year) the sony stipulation is reached they will be releaseing multi platform.

Ill find the links later tomorrow. Wayyy to tired :(

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by heartless

I think you're underestimating the effect of the games persistance aspect. Every comment I've read on the various articles about Dust514 by PS3 owners has been overwhelmingly positive. PS3 players are going apeshit over it tbh.

The only people complaining about it are the Xboxers and the PC players with entitlement issues even though CCP said from the start console only.

Many people are sick of the MW3 yearly release BS and want a game they won't have to replace in a year or 3 months when the next shallow shooter comes out.

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by Minsc

I think you're underestimating the effect of the games persistance aspect. Every comment I've read on the various articles about Dust514 by PS3 owners has been overwhelmingly positive. PS3 players are going apeshit over it tbh.

The only people complaining about it are the Xboxers and the PC players with entitlement issues even though CCP said from the start console only.

Many people are sick of the MW3 yearly release BS and want a game they won't have to replace in a year or 3 months when the next shallow shooter comes out.

But isn't it unrealistic to think that Dust 514 will become this deep, persistant and original fps? Maybe it will have some of it, but enough to create a sizeable longterm community? While I was excited at first, it has been replaced with more realistic expectations. The graphics are average at best, the gameplay looks like BF2142, which I liked, but it's an old game. It doesn't seem to have destructible environment. Something I think is a important feature if you want to compete with Battlefield 3. I'm saying Battlefield 3 and not Bad Company 2, because I realize BC2 is a  whole other ballgame as far as fps' go.

And while I love the idea of a connection with Eve, I think this is far more appealing from Eve players perspective than the console gamers. Hopefully I'll be wrong and it will rock, but CCP has no experience with the genre.

• VenekorVenekor Member Posts: 62

It'll flop and sell nothing on the consoles, CCP will be forced to release it for PC. So I just don't get why they are back handing their current customers, especially when FPS is better on the PC with the mouse and keyboard.

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by Venekor

It'll flop and sell nothing on the consoles, CCP will be forced to release it for PC. So I just don't get why they are back handing their current customers, especially when FPS is better on the PC with the mouse and keyboard.

Not just because it's mouse and keyboard but also because it's a much more powerful machine. If they insist on going for consoles they should have waited for next console generation.

It sounds weird to say this about a fps game that will be connecting with a mmo; but it seems very unambitious.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Didnt they say that theyre going after a completely different audience from EVE? So I dont get why everyone is complaining.  If they release this game on the pc AND ps3 the nmake them fight each other, who do you thnk will win?  Pc players hands down. So theyll have to seperate DUST servers for ps3 only and pc only o.o  So its highly unrealistic to release on both platforms unless they have a pc server and a ps3 server.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• VenekorVenekor Member Posts: 62

The Playstation controller has never been known for the FPS genre, infact the 360 is known for that genre out of the consoles. There is a massive FPS fanbase on the PC which is a very different audience from EVE Online and people who play EVE also like the FPS genre.

I just don't understand limiting your game to one console which isn't well known for FPS. I can understand why they don't want to launch for the 360 because of Microsoft probably wanting a cut of the subscription or whatever. However release it for the PC as well, especially seeing as the game will most likely fail on the PS3 and have to come to PC anyways.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

There's actually good reasons to isolate the game to just a console.

Standardized Hardware: If this were out for both PC and PS3, patches would need to take longer. PC's have WAY more permutations of hardware than PS3's. And what about scaling, how low-end of a system will you let the PC version run on? AMD/Intel? ATI/NVidia? SSD/7200rpm? etc, etc etc.

PC's just have a lot of hardware builds, and for a game to do well, it needs to be capable of running on a large majority of them (see WoW's success, 10fps raiding on the wal-mart special).

PS3, sure they have the Fat and Slim models, but across every model, there is a standardized pool of hardware that CCP knows EVERY PS3 user will have. So now, they don't have to worry about multiple resolutions or whos got 16gb of ram vs 4gb.

This even goes into interface-device. KB/M can have wide diversity already. Look at high-end Razer, Logitech and Steelseries products, all hyping faster, smoother keypress', on-keyboard macroing, secondary info displays or touchpads. Mice ranging from 3200 to 6400dpi in precision, and a lot with the  ability to dial in somewhere to the middle.

Now controllers, even though theres the various Nyko, MadCatz, whoever-else controller options, very few change the core allowance of functionality. Its much more locked in and controlled by the console-designer vs the perhipheral designer.

For an MMO FPS, you'd want the potential of massive firefights to be as smooth as possible, clean, responsive, fluid action. Standardized Hardware helps achieve this. It's easier to sync-up near-identical hardware than it is to sync-up massively variable hardware at higher fidelity.

As for the PS3 not having any shooter-base, CoD still sells huge each year on PS3 as well, definitely gets player a lot, along with MAG, Killzone 2 and 3, Uncharted 2, and the rest of the seasonal-cross-platform-shooters.

Maybe not as many as X360, but at least PSN:

a. Didn't make me pay 50bucks a year to use my Netflix subscription on the console, which btw NEVER lost service or functionality during the entire PSN outage. It was also up, running, and able to stream at no additional yearly-cost.

b. Plays well with others, in that I could see CCP also trying to work with Valve to help manage part of Dust through Steam. You know, since PSN will actually let outside networks communicate with theirs without dealing with oppressive exclusivity rights.

Would EVE players really want EVE to turn into a GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE game? I think not.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

I am not gonna get this game.  If people like me, ex-EVE players who like FPS games, aren't buying then I don't know who will on the PS3 crowd.  And I definitely would have bought if it was PC.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by lethys

I am not gonna get this game.  If people like me, ex-EVE players who like FPS games, aren't buying then I don't know who will on the PS3 crowd.  And I definitely would have bought if it was PC.

Just a little perspective for you but console gamer FAR outnumber pc gamers. Also more and more people are getting into console gaming so the potential market is huge. In addition from what I've read in various comments on the Dust articles I've read and on playstation centric sites there are a lot of PS3 gamers that are keeping a serious eye on the game now. After the E3 announcement they practically went apeshit when they got some details of the interconnection.

Everyone always says console fps players are very fickle when it comes to new fps games, jumping from new game to new game every few months but everyone always assumes it's the gamers that are the cause and not the games themselves. Dust is the first game to give them any real reason to stick around and I think the persistance aspect will mean a lot of them stick around after the first few months. The fact that it's going to be f2p after the initial purchase will be a huge draw too. I know there will be microtransactions but it should be very possible to play without using them if you choose, especially if you get a financial backer in EVE to supply you.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I just saw the preview on MMO Report and the game looks great. My wife and I each have a ps3 so we will be getting 2 copies!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I think this game looks badass, and I'm stoked to have an mmo to play on my PS3. I am going to tread the line here, and say that I am a fan of  PC games, the PS3 and the 360; I own all three. To me it didn't make a difference what system Dust 514 came out on, but I look forward to something different.

Also, I like how people have ignored the quotes from CCP that have been linked twice in this thread. They've been pretty upfront about why they chose to go with the PS3.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Just a little perspective for you but console gamer FAR outnumber pc gamers. Also more and more people are getting into console gaming so the potential market is huge. In addition from what I've read in various comments on the Dust articles I've read and on playstation centric sites there are a lot of PS3 gamers that are keeping a serious eye on the game now. After the E3 announcement they practically went apeshit when they got some details of the interconnection.

Everyone always says console fps players are very fickle when it comes to new fps games, jumping from new game to new game every few months but everyone always assumes it's the gamers that are the cause and not the games themselves. Dust is the first game to give them any real reason to stick around and I think the persistance aspect will mean a lot of them stick around after the first few months. The fact that it's going to be f2p after the initial purchase will be a huge draw too. I know there will be microtransactions but it should be very possible to play without using them if you choose, especially if you get a financial backer in EVE to supply you.

I don't think you understand the percentage of console FPS players who really only play BF or CoD games.  Not many will try this, mark my words.  I doubt it'll sell 100,000 copies.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I don't think you understand the percentage of console FPS players who really only play BF or CoD games.  Not many will try this, mark my words.  I doubt it'll sell 100,000 copies.

I'll hold you to that prediction.  I think Dust 514 could become the PS3's "Halo".  It all depends on the game not some preconceived notion of how many people play consoles or which FPSs are played etc.  Halo came out of nowhere and became a huge hit, and I personally didn't like the game(mostly due to the annoying Xbox controller).  It will be a hit if the game itself is good enough.  Just like any other game.

• AxtonAxton Member Posts: 14

This game not only makes me want to over come the sloppy PS3 controller but actually buy a PS3. Gamers love knowing they can effect their universe. Every developer out there should be looking to include persitant dynamic worlds into their games. Dust seems to have it all at this juncture, 12 months out I think every game looks perfect, fast paced, dynamic, and death penalties! Love those guys at CCP for this one.