Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archage, what does it need to give the omg exploring is amazing factor.

BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

If i can think back to epic moments in mmorgs it has been that sense of wonder when exploring along with the sense of freedom and a real living world.  Question is, what can be added to enhance this? (Archage has the gfx and size factor covered)

Starters for 10:

one great feature I saw in Rift is  where you can explore and find artifacts.  This would be a nice themeparky but valid addition to archage - what do you think, or even better is it there already?

Grinding(shock horror) it seems to be so out of vogue in the 'west' but I think it gives a great reward for exploring that many people have forgotten.  E.g you are willing to go explore for a day or 2 because you can grind decent xp and drops/money/mats while you go - its another valid path to levelling for those that want to explore.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Comments

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Hmmm I think for the game to have that "woah" factor for exploring it needs to have diverse landscapes. Like you said graphic quality and size are already there but size does not always mean diversity. I hope the game has everything from lush tropical jungles, rugged mountain terrain, and empty deserts filled that just feel like an expanse of nothing. Just think of all the hugely diverse environments we have on our earth and hopefully the game can capture as many of them as possible.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

I think player built houses/towns will do that, actually.  I like the idea of exploring to find just the perfect spot to either set up my own place, or a good place to build a town.  I'm assuming these things will never end up on the map, so that actually will lead to great things for other players to have to discover on their own.

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

Whenever people talk about 'exploring' in MMOs, all I can think is that they are complete gaming newbs.   In the process of mastering the a game, I expect you'd have every rock and nook on the planet burned into your memory.   If exploring is even a factor in your gaming style I think you haven't played much and have certainly missed out on a huge amount of the mastery dynamics that makes MMOs so engrossing.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Originally posted by Osmanthus

Whenever people talk about 'exploring' in MMOs, all I can think is that they are complete gaming newbs.   In the process of mastering the a game, I expect you'd have every rock and nook on the planet burned into your memory.   If exploring is even a factor in your gaming style I think you haven't played much and have certainly missed out on a huge amount of the mastery dynamics that makes MMOs so engrossing.

One thing thats nice about MMO's is people can play them for whatever enjoyment they get out of them.  I believe you enjoyment may be hardcore rase to the top endgame raiding with a top tier guild involving 80 hours a week.  I would also guess the OP and I prefer a slower, "take it all in" sort of pace.  To each their own.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

One of the things I'm looking forward to about housing is not only are there designated areas for housing.  But there are also hidden spots that you may stumble upon when exploring.  

The best part about exploring is coming upon things you weren't expecting.  Easter eggs, a rare mob, treasure, puzzles, or just added quests.  If I am one to stumble upon a building location deep in the woods where no quest directs you to go and I were to set up a house and RP a hermit, how cool would it be when other players discovered me?  Or if I could plant treasure chests in these places for other players to find (of course also advertising my goods in doing so).

But basically what gives exploring the amazing factor is finding the unexpected.  Ladnscapes and views will be awesome in this game, the size of the world will contribute, but I think what the players put into it will really make the world amazing.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

For me its always the unexpected... which is why exploring in minecraft is so much fun. Player towns/cities always add some dynamic nature to the world, but I feel like there needs to be a reason to explore, whether its rare resources, treasure maps, or undiscovered content. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

There have been countless times where I've taken my character just after starting and have spent my first few days playing just running around, even into higher level zones. I do not consider myself a "newb."

For me, that wow factor will come from natural wonders like traversible mountains, deep forests, some caves, or anything that will take me out of the norm. I don't need sheer size to make exploring fun, just attention to detail.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

well I have played for 20 years.  If you dont get it about why exploration adds to the immersion fair enough, but dont troll a thread that is looking for some positive discussion.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by mmogawd

I think player built houses/towns will do that, actually.  I like the idea of exploring to find just the perfect spot to either set up my own place, or a good place to build a town.  I'm assuming these things will never end up on the map, so that actually will lead to great things for other players to have to discover on their own.

ah ye Love that idea, stumbling across a little thriving community - are they friendly, will they attack on sight, awsome!

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

For me a fundamental of the exploration is to be able to have a massive draw distance and be able to look say 15-20 minutes away and be able to walk there. To be standing on cliff edges and looking down over plains etc, having landmarks to give a sense of direction and bearing.

That's before you even get to the mechanics of game features.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107

Always believe it to be rather childish when a poster declares others to be "newbs", or at the least very immature and narrow minded. I would not presume that because someones play style is to enjoy exploring that they haven't played much.

Whenever people talk about "newbs" all I can think of is they are a pompous dikwad.

Ah! well, that's off the chest. Warning and possible 24 hour Inc.

Ye it is odd language for a 44 year old :P

Originally posted by mrw0lf

For me a fundamental of the exploration is to be able to have a massive draw distance and be able to look say 15-20 minutes away and be able to walk there. To be standing on cliff edges and looking down over plains etc, having landmarks to give a sense of direction and bearing.

That's before you even get to the mechanics of game features.

lol yes I agree,  Cliff overhanging massive plains with mountains on the horizon with a tower reaching to the sky - classic vista, and awsome :)

Someonee mentioned the exploring angle with sea travel as well, thats a new angle I have not experienced yet, great potential.

• TrueSilverTrueSilver Member Posts: 28

I suppose I've never really been terribly interested in the exploration factor of games. At least, I am not usually interested in exploring what the developers decide to put into the game. I am more interested in exploring what people have done with the environment.

With what this game purports to do with its building system, I will be very interested in exploring what people decide to make. I always enjoyed finding shopping centers in Star Wars Galaxies back before they 'revamped' it. Since this game is offering a lot of freedom in terms of well, everything, I'm very interested to see if they will be able to deliver!

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

I love the fact that things you should be able to climb (ladders) you can actually climb. I hate it when there are ladders for athsetics only.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Some of the biggest exploration fans I know came from the days of text games.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Some things that could encourage exploration:

1. Great vistas - Self explanatory. Simply put, good looking places attract peoples' attention.

2. Ambient Sound - While visuals are definetly essential, the audio defines the areas a player explores. It adds tone, complexity, and flavor.

3. Open terrain - Have zones that contain plenty of room. No one likes being engulfed by impenetrable mountains.

4. Hidden "gems" - Acts as an incentive, something players can go after. Can be a fabled location, a sought-after item, a rare NPC/monster.

5. Open dungeons - Real, complex dungeons in the open world that offer great dangers, yet glorious rewards for those brave enough to reach its farthest depths.

6. Lack of teleports - Players shouldn't be able to open a map, click on a destination, and reach a loading screen. Make them see the game world.

7. Many means of travel - Don't just let them run, give them horses, boats, carriages, dragons, etc.

8. Dynamic Entities - Start making factions that grow, develop, and change. Create interactions within the game world.

9. World-Changing Means - Allow the players to change the game world, be it through constructions, agriculture, social projects, etc.

10. Dynamic Weather/Time - The game world musn't remain static and that includes weather and time. Perhaps allow such elements to influence the world beyond mearely visually.

11. Accessability - Being able to go to the places you see makes all the difference in the world. No invisible walls or artificial barriers.

12. Seamlessness - Not seeing a loading screen while going out on exploratory adventures greatly increases immersion and attaches one to the world.

Nice list stealthbr.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

agree, nice list.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Back in the days when imagination was a must :)

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

My list

Copy Bathesda

that is all

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

If you go by modern MMO standards, you're right, there's not much to explore. If you go by oldschool standards, the game worlds were far more expansive and you didn't have an overhead map telling you exactly where you were relative to every other POI in the game world.

Considering you pretty much gave away that you're newschool, I don't think you're in a position to be calling others noobs.

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Originally posted by waynejr2

Back in the days when imagination was a must :)

lol.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

I love exploring in MMOs, even as a low level.  Maybe especially as a low level.  Games that allow stubborn lowbies to circumnavigate packs of mobs that will one-hit them back to the graveyard is always a good way to encourage exploration.  Little caves hidden away with dungeons in them are fun to find.  AO's Shadowlands had bunches of them and I used to like stumbling on one I could handle from time to time way off in the middle of nowhere. 

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

• HerbasaurHerbasaur Member Posts: 1

I think a great way to reward exploration is through both XP for discovering new areas and rare mobs that drop (in this game) excellent crafting mats.  The rare mobs should spawn randomly and move fairly freely to encourage players to continue exploring the world rather than camping by xxx,yyy for 19 hours.