Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This forum is not my cup of tea, and I won't be back

I tried out mmorpgs and tried out this forum in last year.  I learned a lot about the kind of people I'd rather not associate with.  This forum is a bad example of what good info could be for potential gamers.  Most of the information is overly negative, and in many cases, just plain incorrect.  Not reccommended.

Comments

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by GrayGreene

I tried out mmorpgs and tried out this forum in last year.  I learned a lot about the kind of people I'd rather not associate with.  This forum is a bad example of what good info could be for potential gamers.  Most of the information is overly negative, and in many cases, just plain incorrect.  Not reccommended.

Do be aware that once you get into the outside world, everyone is a cynical bastard.  Stay away from social media and other people altogether if you can't handle it.

I'm not making it any better for you am I?

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Unfortunately you'll likely not find an MMO discussion forum (or discussion forum about anything) that's all that much nicer on the Internet.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

You'll be back.  They alllways come back.

• EerazerEerazer Member Posts: 140

No, the guy is right, actually this forum is known for being a cesspool that it is, i remember i only joined to check out what all the fuss was about, and for some reason im still here?

huh.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I see people post things like this on every single forum that has 5000+ people that visit it.

Its just silly. Its like "WoWs community is so bad." No kidding, theres millions of people on there of course theres gonna be tons of douche bags. People said Rift would be different, that was just foolish.

I dont see the point of this tho. Its not like its hard to visit more than one site/forum/community.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by monstermmo

I see people post things like this on every single forum that has 5000+ people that visit it.

Its just silly. Its like "WoWs community is so bad." No kidding, theres millions of people on there of course theres gonna be tons of douche bags. People said Rift would be different, that was just foolish.

I dont see the point of this tho. Its not like its hard to visit more than one site/forum/community.

Wait a minnit,  there r otherz?

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Can I have your stuff?

Sorry J/K :D

Again as others have said sorry something rubbed you the wrong way, I find most threads are ok for a page or 2 but after that it goes downhill rather quick.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I can understand the decision as i've felt that way occasionally since i've been here. One thing i have learned is that although the forum in general is overly negative it encourages some truly great speakers to voice their opinions, not only that it encourages research and ends up with information being put in front of you that you might not otherwise have came across.

Yes MMORPG.com is chock-a-block with haters of everything that has pixels that aren't exactly like their bat on pong, but it also has a bulging corner full of those who wish to inform, are (slighly :P) unbiased or just plain observant and informative.

The trick is learning who and what to skim read.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by UknownAspect

Do be aware that once you get into the outside world, everyone is a cynical bastard.  Stay away from social media and other people altogether if you can't handle it.

I'm not making it any better for you am I?

image    QFT

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• rothbardrothbard Member Posts: 248

Lol, isn't this a negative post also??

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think this is the first ever forum-rage-quit post I've ever seen.  Ditto to the guy that said "can I have your stuff." ;)

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Not everyone is a PvPer,  Laterz dude.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Cecropia

That wasn't very constructive :(

But i saved the pic anyway, awesome image

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

ppl here are usually very opinionated; very haterish and very fanboyish. So their is a bunch of arguements and trolling that makes you scratch you head, but their is also a lot of pretty interesting conversations. And u do get a lot of info on games, u just gotta figure out how to filter out  hyperbole. 

But it would be pretty interesting if u transplanted the entire mmorpg.com community into a game like darkfall and let them duke it out.

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Unfortunately this is where a fair number of the disenchanted end up. There are actually a fair number of intelligent posters here but, they're like diamonds in the rough.

The internet does lend itself to anonymous ass-hattery (that a word?) so you just have to screen them out like white noise.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

I drop by here for a couple of months now and again in between games. For news on upcoming games mostly. I find that while playing a game, it gives me little joy coming here to read all the hate for said game. And no point trying to defend a game either. Haters dont listen to logic or reason or they wouldnt be here in the first place. If you enjoy it, good for you. Your time is best spent playing it.

Been follow this scheme for a couple of years now and it works out great. When SWtor finally launches, I'll surely not visit this place for a long time =)

Originally posted by ormstunga

I drop by here for a couple of months now and again in between games. For news on upcoming games mostly. I find that while playing a game, it gives me little joy coming here to read all the hate for said game. And no point trying to defend a game either. Haters dont listen to logic or reason or they wouldnt be here in the first place. If you enjoy it, good for you. Your time is best spent playing it.

Been follow this scheme for a couple of years now and it works out great. When SWtor finally launches, I'll surely not visit this place for a long time =)

Ditto GW2, Arche Age, TSW

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

There is a block button ya'know and with it you can silence a moderate amount of negativity that usually repeats from the same 50 posters.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Hold on, I'm not entirely sure what this chap is expecting. Are we, sir, then to censor every negative comment...or inject happy brain juice in our ears to only speak in dulcet tones about every game and topic? The forum on this site is presented as an opportunity for us, the plebs, to discuss the MMORPG journalism articles posted by the sites' main contributors. What exactly do solely positive comments add to any game commentary. For example: 

MMO Journalist: In conclusion, this game is great!

Pleb 1: Great! So looking forward to release! Please let it be soon!

Pleb 2: This game is going to be the best thing since all the other games came out which were all great too. I love games!

Pleb 3: Actually...the graphics look a bit naff and the gameplay seems formulaic and repetitive, they've basically repackaged World of Witchcraft. It could be improved with [insert improvements].

Pleb1 and 2: Shhh, bloody hater! You can stick your facts and improvements, there's always negative people that ruin everything sigh..etc

I think you are mistaking criticism for negativity, if even the latter name actually means anything in constructive commentary. At worst it upsets the fanboys who would applaud even George Lucas' (for example) flatulence and at best it modifes the content of games on release since smart developers read these kinds of forums to gauge how the community feel about teasers. Ergo, you:0, Me: 1.   

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well OP you know your own mind. Have fun in your future endeavors.

For me a interweb community like this where people have no problem sharing what they are really thinking, even if it not a position I happen to agree with, is refreshing. It is so much more informative than sites where posters are all on the same cycle and spend their entire time blowing smoke up each others rectums about how wonderful and perfect everything is.

So don't worry MMORPG though some of the faint of heart may fall by the way side, I'm not gong anywhwere.

>CLICKY<

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I've never dealt with someone quitting forums, there's always been a game attached... Can I have ur stuff?

We're cynical, so what? We think all games are shitty because... well... have you looked at these games? MMos maybe are like a drug that stops working after 5 years leaving the addiction always craving what you can't get anymore.

Can't get the thrill.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Don't hate the players.

Hate the game.

Originally posted by Deathofsage

I've never dealt with someone quitting forums, there's always been a game attached... Can I have ur stuff?

We're cynical, so what? We think all games, are shitty because... well... have you looked at these games? MMos maybe are like a drug that stops working after 5 years leaving the addiction always craving what you can't get anymore.

Can't get the thrill.

Of course, cynics are romantics who have lost all hope. I still have some last vestige of hope in the genre. Plus I'm going onto the new batch of games with a guild I'm building now. That should garuntee a good starting community anyway.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locking the thread. Attacking your fellow posters is not engaging in any sort of meaningful or constructive discussion.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.