Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion still grindy?

IamLightningIamLightning Member Posts: 93

Hey all, was recently checking out this game again. I used to play hardcore right when it was released and I got to lv 39 gladiator, but It just took so damn long to level. Is it still this way?

Comments

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Originally posted by IamLightning

Hey all, was recently checking out this game again. I used to play hardcore right when it was released and I got to lv 39 gladiator, but It just took so damn long to level. Is it still this way?

No youre instantly max level with all the gear you will ever want on the first monster you kill. *sarcasm off*

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Well, ignoring the unneeded sarcasm of above, I would say yes it is, but no more then Rift (for example).

It is still mostly quest based ofc, but the vast majority of them exist to accomadate the grind (most are basically killl lists) buyt saying that, I don't personally mind a bit of grind in my games, especially in a nice duo or group.

I also personally do not think Aion ever took a lot of time to level, but it seems much quicker now, though if you thought it took 'ages' before it still might not be fast enough for your tastes. Money is also more abundent, and the drops are a lot better.

As a side note though, it is interesting that people criticise Aion for grind because it is Korean, yet will play Rift, which has a very similar core play philosophy, without complaint because it is Western.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by vesavius

Well, ignoring the unneeded sarcasm of above, I would say yes it is, but no more then Rift (for example).

It is still mostly quest based ofc, but the vast majority of them exist to accomadate the grind (most are basically killl lists) buyt saying that, I don't personally mind a bit of grind in my games, especially in a nice duo or group.

I also personally do not think Aion ever took a lot of time to level, but it seems much quicker now, though if you thought it took 'ages' before it still might not be fast enough for your tastes. Money is also more abundent, and the drops are a lot better.

As a side note though, it is interesting that people criticise Aion for grind because it is Korean, yet will play Rift, which has a very similar core play philosophy, without complaint because it is Western.

Rift doesn't have you grinding on gray monsters for quest items that drop 1 in 10 times, for 40 items total, that has to be completed 30 times for 30 medals, to be turned in for ONE PIECE OF AN ARMOR SET. Comparing Aion's grind to Rift's is ridiculous.

Level grind in Aion is all but gone. Gear grind, sadly, has gone nowhere. Drop rate is a bit better, but not enough to make crafting decent, competitive gear any less painful. Some people like this, some don't. Do with that info what you will.

ps - Rift is boring as hell, this post was not an invite to turn to that game instead >_>

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Well, no... As much as I wish it was like you said, Western games are a lot different. Rift doesn't have a grind like Aion whatsoever. I hit level 50 in rift in litterally 2.5 days of play time. Leveling is super quick. In aion with a couple days of play time I had a level 30 or 35. So it definately isn't the same. Plus it doesn't direct you to each hub, or at least it didn't. It now is a bit better with the quest grind, instead of having to look around everywhere to find every single quest you can see where they all are on the map. Plus the inclusion of solo dungeons is quite nice. But the difference between western and korean games are lost when it comes over the coast. In korea most of the games they enjoy include a HUGE grind, because the longer they play the games the more money the lan centers / game companies make per hour. Since they pay per hour instead of per month. Western games usually involve a lot of quests, and a lot of gear grind end game. While korean games tend to involve ALOT of grind up to max level and some form of hardcore pvp in the end.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Aion its the best game outside, in gameplay its unique , every time i tryed something else i feel like its something left, Aion haves it all , the fliyng and gliding are in one way the best improvements in the genre, and the new L55 maps are magnifique and full of danger (ganks, nasty mobs).

Still its grindy and haves the awfull RNG on PvP and manastones/enchantments, but right now its far away easier to get golds and kinah and about quests? theres plenty of them, they are grindy but WoW haves camouflaged grind everywhere , about RiFT, its not a bad game but comes with zero new features to the genre, and the gameplay kinda suck

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Panther2103

Well, no... As much as I wish it was like you said, Western games are a lot different. Rift doesn't have a grind like Aion whatsoever. I hit level 50 in rift in litterally 2.5 days of play time. Leveling is super quick. In aion with a couple days of play time I had a level 30 or 35. So it definately isn't the same. Plus it doesn't direct you to each hub, or at least it didn't. It now is a bit better with the quest grind, instead of having to look around everywhere to find every single quest you can see where they all are on the map. Plus the inclusion of solo dungeons is quite nice. But the difference between western and korean games are lost when it comes over the coast. In korea most of the games they enjoy include a HUGE grind, because the longer they play the games the more money the lan centers / game companies make per hour. Since they pay per hour instead of per month. Western games usually involve a lot of quests, and a lot of gear grind end game. While korean games tend to involve ALOT of grind up to max level and some form of hardcore pvp in the end.

I think you guys are confusing what I meant, which I blam emyself for. I wasnt clear.

I was talking about core play system of the quest grind and saying that they both feel pretty similar in that regard. I know levelling in Aion is slower then in Rift, but both use the core play design of kill lists as quests.

Though the levelling journey is short to end game in Rift, it still feels as grindy as Aion, because it is still in the main all about killing 10 of this and 10 of that. They share the same core levelling design philosophy.

I wasnt really talking about the gear grind at end  game.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Aion is not nearly as grindy as it was before. They drastically increased the XP from quests so you never have to worry about outlvling quests or not leaving a quest behind out of fear of it coming to bite you.

Aion is doing a free reactivation week that started last Friday and ends tomorrow (Sunday) night. If you can DL and install fast enough you should be able to give it a whirl.

Drop rates have increased, money rates have increased, crafting has been simplified slightly.

Hell, after this latest patch, leveling has never been faster. You can literally powerlevel now with the mentor system. I was getting powerleveled at least one or two levels per day out of the mentorship.

The way mentorship seemed to have work was higher lvls get a daily quest and rewards out of helping lower levels with their daily mentor quest. It's usually to kill elites and other group content that you would otherwise miss out on if you would not be able to get a group going (elites in starting zone, Kaiden Mine etc).

Some nice fellow got me from 1 to 14 in a matter of hours. Drop rates seemed much better. Every boss I killed was dropping blues and such. Problem is they still don't have a need/greed system, it's either roll or pass. The trolling potential is momnumental there.

Oh yeah and all the classes got new skills which should be fun as well. Overall the game is pretty solid. I enjoyed my reactivation week. I couldn't get someone to play with me so I'm not subbing. Playing the Sin in Aion got me wanting to play the Sin in GW so I'm there agian heh.

Unless you expect to hit max lvl within the first week of playing, the grind has been cut down severely. I don't know how bad it is at higher levels, but half way into the game it was painless. I can only imagine how different the reception would have been for this game if it had released in its current state.

• IamLightningIamLightning Member Posts: 93

Thanks for all the replys. I'm glad its better. Only thing Im concerned with is that, I want to be able to hit 55 within the month (starting at lv 20 from the trial) Is this possible now? I would be playing a good amount.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Thanks for all the replys. I'm glad its better. Only thing Im concerned with is that, I want to be able to hit 55 within the month (starting at lv 20 from the trial) Is this possible now? I would be playing a good amount.

look, I hit lvl 30 in two days at launch. If you are going too play "quite a bit" then you should have no problem hitting 55 in a month of heavy play.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ftAnPucr9ftAnPucr9 Member Posts: 26

If you count within one month as 300 hours of optimal hardcore leveling then yes. 10 hours non-stop everyday or so.

so it takes 300 hours to hit 55? geez lol

so it takes 300 hours to hit 55? geez lol

My guess is that Aioin might not be for you. If you are looking to rush to level cap in a week then I'm not sure you are going to get what you are looking for.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

not looking to rush to cap in a week, most of the game is endgame correct? Just want to hit max level in a month

not looking to rush to cap in a week, most of the game is endgame correct? Just want to hit max level in a month

I think if you played "hardcore" you should hit max level in a month.

Or, I think I'll say that I got 60% into 51 going to 52 in two days of somewhat heavy play. I can't comment at the levels beyond 52. keep in mind I also have some lodos amulets for being a veteran that give an hour of 20% xp.

However, asmos on certain servers level faster and receive these +50% xp amulets that you can use each time they are done. This is the faction incentive program.

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Faction%20Incentive%20Program

So if you are going to play "now" is probably the time.

Ah I see, thank you very much for that info!

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

As with all MMOs, yes there is still somewhat of a grind to the game. However, There are XP bonus items, vet rewards that boost xp, daily quests to run for XP and coins for gear and there is the Mentoring system which really makes earning XP easy. As a matter of fact, you can probably just about sneeze and earn XP. It'a not like it was when Aion first came out.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Right now its lots of people barking about the too fast leveling on spatalos they want to enjoy L40-50 but they level too fast , so i think level its really not the problem these days