Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One game for a whole year - suggestions?

ListofListof Member Posts: 155

So I'm moving to a foreign country for a year w/ no access to English entertainment or English-language MMORPGs. I can't take much w/ me, but I will take a laptop and Oblivion. I want to buy one other video game to take (unfortunately, this year-long trip is very costly so I can't buy multiple titles at this time.)

Any suggestions? I love RPGs, but haven't played many single player RPGs in several years, so most anything released within the past 5-7 years would be new to me. In the past, I loved games like Oblivion, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (and its sequal), Summoner, all the Zelda games, etc.  I love the huge world and endless play hours of Oblivion but I loved the story driven KOTOR games even more.

I was thinking about Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age 2. I played a little bit of the first one at my brother's place one time and it seemed pretty cool. Is one better than the other? Any other ideas?

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Listof

So I'm moving to a foreign country for a year w/ no access to English entertainment or English-language MMORPGs. I can't take much w/ me, but I will take a laptop and Oblivion. I want to buy one other video game to take (unfortunately, this year-long trip is very costly so I can't buy multiple titles at this time.)

Any suggestions? I love RPGs, but haven't played many single player RPGs in several years, so most anything released within the past 5-7 years would be new to me. In the past, I loved games like Oblivion, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (and its sequal), Summoner, all the Zelda games, etc.  I love the huge world and endless play hours of Oblivion but I loved the story driven KOTOR games even more.

I was thinking about Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age 2. I played a little bit of the first one at my brother's place one time and it seemed pretty cool. Is one better than the other? Any other ideas?

Nothing I can think of will last you an entire year, or even a couple of months. If you like Bioware's stuff you might try Jade Empire, or like you said one of the DA O games. Personally I'd recommend something with less restraints on re-playability like a Real Time Strategy game or even something like Chessmaster. Or better yet (and yes this will sound like a parental "why don't you go play outside for a change") since you will be in a totally new enviroment, avoid just crawling into another rabbit hole of computer entertainment at all and try embracing this new culture. Art, language, history, social trends, their films, their movies, and yes maybe their computer games as well. I've always found real life adventures to be far more satifying that the ones you have while sitting in front of a plastic box that goes bing.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Well you gotta count for rainy/stormy days, as well as late nights when you're bored/ can't sleep. Since you'll have Oblivion for your RPG fix, I'd suggest a Total War game to keep you occupied they never seem to get old. At least for me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I would suggest Morrowind with all the addons/expacs. You can also get some free mods to make it a little more up to date graphics wise. Shouldn't cost much and it's the type of game that's right up your alley.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ListofListof Member Posts: 155

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by Listof

Nothing I can think of will last you an entire year, or even a couple of months. If you like Bioware's stuff you might try Jade Empire, or like you said one of the DA O games. Personally I'd recommend something with less restraints on re-playability like a Real Time Strategy game or even something like Chessmaster. Or better yet (and yes this will sound like a parental "why don't you go play outside for a change") since you will be in a totally new enviroment, avoid just crawling into another rabbit hole of computer entertainment at all and try embracing this new culture. Art, language, history, social trends, their films, their movies, and yes maybe their computer games as well. I've always found real life adventures to be far more satifying that the ones you have while sitting in front of a plastic box that goes bing.

I very much appreciate your game suggestions and it points out some things that I need to clarify. I am not asking for a game that will take an entire year to play through at a hardcore gamers typical hours per week. Obviously, I would like a game that lasts more than 10 hours, but what I'm really asking for is a game that is interesting and fun, not one that will last forever and ever. Since my entire week is already scheduled, by the hour, from 6 am till 11 pm lights out and the only day I will get  to myself will be Saturdays, I really don't know that I'll have that much time to play games, if at all. That's another reason that I only want to purchase one new game to take with me. I hate to spend money buying a bunch of games when I might never even play them. Believe me when I say, living in front of my computer and failing to experience the culture is not even going to be an option for me.

However, that being said, I will be in this foreign country for an entire year, w/ no trips back to the USA, hearing this foreign language 24/7 and I just imagine that once in a while, I might want some good 'ol US entertainment that I don't have to constantly be translating in my head, trying to figure out what's going on. I will be studying the language while I'm there, of course, but in other words, I just want the option of having some fun that's not work (weird to say that, since I played and loved Lineage II for years... LOL).

P.S. I'm a girl and don't like FPS or any war games or anything like that. :P Not that there aren't girls who do... I'm just sayin'.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

The Witcher 2, Puzzle Quest, Fable 3 (I didn't play it yet, but plan on it)... 

Maybe you should get a bunch of movies/shows you always wanted to watch, but never did, and throw them on an external.  That way after those long hours you could just veg out.  I don't think I would want to play a game after working from 6am-11pn lol.  That's just me, though. 

• NivezNivez Member Posts: 93

DO > D0:2

just my 2 cents:)

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Pick up a copy of either Shogun:Total War or one of the Civ games.  If I were you, I'd buy the Civ 4 complete pack with all the expansions included with original game for pretty cheap.  Probably the best 4x strategy game ever and has a huge amount of replayability with the expansions, redoing campaigns, scenarios, and playing as different countries on different maps.  This is before mods and multiplayer.

• milkpuddingmilkpudding Member Posts: 29

Frankly speaking, the only RPG that I love on PC is Dragon Age 1 and 2. It will be much better if you have a console, even a portable one like PSP.

May be Mass Effect 1 & 2? I've only played 1 a little, so I can't vouch for it.

PS. I'm also a girl who hates FPS. I don't play 2 types of games - war and sports.

• atharielathariel Member Posts: 91

You could try some European RPGs:

- Gothic 2 + addon Night of the Raven

- Risen

- Witcher 1

- Witcher 2

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by Nivez

DO > D0:2

just my 2 cents:)

/agree.  i wouldnt waste any $ on DA2....   DA:O + all DLC/xpack may be your best bet.   DA:O has good replayability whereas, i cant even get myself to finish DA2 once:/

as for witcher2, the combat system is horrid.  you are fighting with the controls more then you are fighting the mobs.  I cant recommend that either. 

edit: another thing you might want to consider is whether your laptop is powerful enough for DA:O.  

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

You have options abroad such as travel and see things, sort out beaurocracy in a foreign language (snore!) as well as giving the local lingo a run if you can? I'd suggest either the above 1 amazingly long game that is full of atmosphere and adventure to escape into when you are tired of all the foreign above:

eg Oblivion, morrowind types if that's what you like or

eg run an emulator and download tons of games to suit your mood, keep things fresh eg amiga, snes etc. Secondly GOG's does a few goldie oldies such as Dungeon Keeper just out for a few spare bob and WIng Commander, Homeworld (I think?) etc all cheap/small downloads? Maybe can mention more?

If you have internet and multiplayer... mmos? You could even try to talk in the foreign language in those games or maybe not ; )

As above chess, bridge, go etc can all be amazingly complex, deep and lifelong games (lots to learn) and there will be software out there for them.

edit: If you get a tolerable data plan with a foreign carrier and have a portable smart device that's another option (3G coverage etc).

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Originally posted by Malickie

Well you gotta count for rainy/stormy days, as well as late nights when you're bored/ can't sleep. Since you'll have Oblivion for your RPG fix, I'd suggest a Total War game to keep you occupied they never seem to get old. At least for me.

^This.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

As someone pointed out, taking a single-player RPG won't provide you with a whole lot of entertainment.  Sometihng like Mass Effect - while totally awesome - has like 30 hours of entertainment value.  If you take it slow and replay it on all difficulty levels and do all possible endings, it might give you a month.

So, what to do?  Here is what i would do.

1.  I would pick up a bunch of older RPGs at a discount - Baldur's Gate, BG2, Icewind Dale, IWD2, Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment, Diablo, Diablo 2.  You can probably get ALL of those for the price of a new game.

2.  If you like oblivion (i hated it personally), one game that has been recommended is called "Two Worlds 2".  It's an open-ended, sandboxy RPG.  Some of the reviews of it are harsh, but it seems like the sort of thing that would last a good long time to play.  If you want to take a risk, maybe got that way.

3.  I would buy a sports game.   I am not a fan of sports games, but you can't beat the entertainment value.  I've been playing season after season of NHL 2009 and it never really gets old.  (Football, American Football, Basketball and other stuff is also available obviously - or better yet, get a bundle).

4.  Unless you're planning to be living out of a hut in rural mongolia or north korea, i think you'd be surprised at the level of availability of western media pretty much anywhere

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by athariel

You could try some European RPGs:

- Gothic 2 + addon Night of the Raven

- Risen

- Witcher 1

- Witcher 2

These are definently great games, just to add to this i'd say maybe look into Divinity 2:Dragon Knight Saga and Two Worlds 2.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I hate to say it but..One game isnt going to last a whole year. 

Do you have internet in the foreign country?  Cuz I suggest just goign all out with emulators and calling it a day. o.o 

My picks would be...

Final Fantasy series, tales series, wild arms series, ogre battle series, fire emblem series, legend of mana(ps1), seiken dansetsu 3, etc o.o

Tomba and tomba 2 is pretty funn too! @_@

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

GalCiv 2 or maybe a Civiliazation game?  I find the 4x games are the ones that I almost never uninstall and are always good to hop into for an almost zen like state.  Hours go by before you even realize it.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

The Witcher and/or The Witcher 2.  Lots of entertainment potential there.  You can replay them with different decisions and different stories.  You can spec your character differently for different playstyles.  Plus the story is pretty entertaining.

If you don't want to go with RPGs, Civilization is a good choice, 4 or 5.  New players to the series may prefer 5.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by zeowyrm

GalCiv 2 or maybe a Civiliazation game?  I find the 4x games are the ones that I almost never uninstall and are always good to hop into for an almost zen like state.  Hours go by before you even realize it.

Agree with this.  For me it is Civ4 + RoM-AND mod (there are other good free mods as well)

I've been playing for YEARS now and it still entertains.  Probably the best game of all time in my opinion...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

If you like sci-fi, get Fallout 3 game of the year edition.

Similar to oblivion since it uses the same engine and it's also done by Bethesda.

It doesn't take too long to complete the main story if you choose to blast through the quests, but like Oblivion you can spend countless hours exploring the gameworld or trying new character builds. Additionally you might want to pick up a few of the player made mods that enhance gameplay, such as the weapon modification mod.

Also, FO:3 has a dose of American patriotism built into the game's lore, considering it takes place in the US capital... albeit a post apocolyptic version of it.

The Bioware games are okay, but replayability is nowhere near what you can get out of a Bethesda game.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Agree with this.  For me it is Civ4 + RoM-AND mod (there are other good free mods as well)

I've been playing for YEARS now and it still entertains.  Probably the best game of all time in my opinion...

I agree with this. I still play Civ 4 series even though I have Civ 5. I think the 4X games are a good bet. Civ 5 is a great game. Civ 4 has lots of mods.

If you want to stick with Roleplaying I would go with Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 1 & 2,  or Fallout 3.

• lschneiflschneif Member Posts: 43

You can have a try Neverwinter Night 1 & 2. If you spent your time to play all the classes of NWN, I think it will take you at least 3 months.

Except RPG, You could choose FM or PES if you like. I used to play FM for a whole year, till 2084 in game...

• CroeCroe Member Posts: 194

Torchlight

Witcher 1 and 2 are good options

fallout  1 and 2 are clicky games  and not fps like the new fallouts i dunno if your in to that stuff.

GL finding a game tho :D

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Ahhh, someone mentioned Baldurs Gate 2. Thinking back over my 30+ years playing videogames, I'd have to put that one in the top 3, in front of the original Zelda and Final Fantasy 3.

Joined - July 2004

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Heroes of Might & Magic 2

Gog has it for cheap and its a great rainy day game.