Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uncharted Waters Online: A Modest Review

2»

Comments

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by Teala

To the OP.  Put this in a blog here on MMORPG.com.  It would be a shame for such valuable information to be lost and buried over the course of people simply posting in this games forums.   It was a really good read and others thinking of playing the game should read what you have written.  :)  Thanks for all the info!

I may have to do this someday, because the two posts including my review are filled to near capacity; I couldn't write a Part V in the existing posts without its getting cut off by the maximum length, and adding a new post in the thread would ruin the continuity of the review. So yeah, I might do it in a blog, though I doubt it will have more exposure that way.

I'm not really playing anymore, because all the people I used to know have quit (Gethreyn, if you're reading this, keep in touch, will ya?), and even trying to do my monthly company contributions feels like a chore. But they did add the Inca expansion (a mere five days after saying there was "no scheduled update any time soon"), and at least I will keep on reading the official forums for a while to see how it turns out; France probably won't have this permit for another two months anyway, so it's not like I could see it first-hand.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Vetarnias

II'm not really playing anymore, because all the people I used to know have quit (Gethreyn, if you're reading this, keep in touch, will ya?), and even trying to do my monthly company contributions feels like a chore. But they did add the Inca expansion (a mere five days after saying there was "no scheduled update any time soon"), and at least I will keep on reading the official forums for a while to see how it turns out; France probably won't have this permit for another two months anyway, so it's not like I could see it first-hand.

The best UWO society or company leaders DO NOT force members to contribute to their nation or company.

There are however real benefits to be gained by doing the royal command or imperial quests early in the form of Patriot rewards with the goal of obtaining the port permits needed to colonize & develop the new fledgling ports.

You will find it harder getting PA's after France obtains the permit as the early explorers benefit by pushing on early to achieve this important goal.

This very much echoes how it was done based on the mid-century sailing exploration, which is also called 'The Age of Discovery'.

If everyone was to give up like yourself because of no friends the developed world would not exist as it is today.

If you are looking for instant resullts it won't happen unless you can stick it out.

I think the Koei developers need to be complimented with the way they have managed to simulate this great pioneering spirit of adventure in UWO. 

Originally posted by NortonGB

II'm not really playing anymore, because all the people I used to know have quit (Gethreyn, if you're reading this, keep in touch, will ya?), and even trying to do my monthly company contributions feels like a chore. But they did add the Inca expansion (a mere five days after saying there was "no scheduled update any time soon"), and at least I will keep on reading the official forums for a while to see how it turns out; France probably won't have this permit for another two months anyway, so it's not like I could see it first-hand.

The best UWO society or company leaders DO NOT force members to contribute to their nation or company.

There are however real benefits to be gained by doing the royal command or imperial quests early in the form of Patriot rewards with the goal of obtaining the port permits needed to colonize & develop the new fledgling ports.

You will find it harder getting PA's after France obtains the permit as the early explorers benefit by pushing on early to achieve this important goal.

This very much echoes how it was done based on the mid-century sailing exploration, which is also called 'The Age of Discovery'.

If everyone was to give up like yourself because of no friends the developed world would not exist as it is today.

If you are looking for instant resullts it won't happen unless you can stick it out.

I think the Koei developers need to be complimented with the way they have managed to simulate this great pioneering spirit of adventure in UWO. 

"Stick it out"? Do you realize that I started playing this game in early October, and that, until I quit a week ago, I never was absent from the game for more than ten days?

The truth is, as far as UWO players went, I was a survivor.  I outlasted all my friends from previous games by more than half a year;  not one of them stuck it out past November, for various reasons.  That, I can understand -- not their thing and so on.  But I have also outlasted any players I met in this game prior to January, except two; and one of these two seems to have quit just before I did.

I'm not talking here about fly-by-night players who sail around for a couple of days and move on; I'm talking about serious players who stayed around for a few months, were involved in company and national affairs, took the time to help newbies and to make contributions, and who suddenly vanished overnight, never to be seen again.  Just within my old company, I can easily name six or seven such players; and I am leaving out countless middle-of-the-road players who showed great promise but quit after two or three weeks.  When I last logged in, the only player from my old company at the time it merged (and that was as recently as April) who still seemed to log in on a regular basis was the one who had been playing since last October.

As for the others, I've survived them all, and I can't bear it anymore. I can't bear to stay around and see the new generation of players (if there is one) vanish as the old one did, this time amidst my own declining interest in the game.

I'm tired, and it's time for me to move on; but don't get patronizing with me, please.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

Originally posted by Quizzical

What if there were no special investment bonds?  Would that make it interesting to sail back and forth trading all day, every day, trying to make more money to flip ports?  That seems to be what people are asking for.

Here's a hint:  in the console games, it isn't.  Once you can do Madiera's gold for Genoa's silver with ten full rigged ships and do a few round trips of that, it's like, okay, that's enough, can I do something else now?  And that's even though it only takes a minute or two to sail from one port to the other.

No, it's not what I'm asking for. I did not play the console Uncharted Waters games (though I'm tempted to try them if I can find them legally), but I did play quite a few PC games where trading was the main activity (the Patrician and Port Royale series). 

Apparently Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is available for the Wii Virtual Console now.  The SNES and Sega Genesis versions are available on Ebay.  That only helps if you have the relevant consoles, though.

In the console game, you could only invest 50k gold at the shipyard and 50k at the market in a given game month.  Furthermore, it was a global investment total of 50k, so if an NPC made an investment at a given port, you couldn't make as big of one at that same port.  A game month went very fast, though, as it was only something like 5 minutes at sea.  Maybe if there were some cap on how much an individual could invest at a given port in a given length of time?  Or perhaps how much an entire country could invest at a given port?

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Jesus Chryst mate! An excallent review, with funny twists and an admirable command of the English language! But...wow.. that was the longest review that I have ever read in my life!

Anyhow, thank you for the info, but now, especially considering the quirks about the tutorial, im scared to try the game out:D

This ops modest review or long winded whine was wriiten after he left!

Top port investors have to log in at least once a month or they will be removed from the top investor list.

There are many other ways to develop a port for normal players like donation of items or goods

Top investor benefits are no big deal, fotunately they don't ruin the game.

I would also recommend everyone read the Influence & Investment FAQ where players can invest their hard earned ducats for fame, higher social titled ranks plus individual super Gifts!

Well over 5 years of devlopement or content have gone into UWO, the op has not experienced half of it.

By learning to play there is still much to enjoy, it's not too late, enjoy UWO me hearties!

"This ops modest review or long winded whine was wriiten after he left!"

Are you joking? This was written over the course of four months.  I even pointed out some of the changes as the game went along. I could not have done this if I had, as you say, written this after I left.  If you need further evidence, you can always consult my backup copy, which proves the first part was posted in January.

Parts I-III were written when I was still involved in the game; Part IV was posted as I was curtailing my involvement.  The last time I logged in, for that matter, was a week ago, to make my contributions to the company I'm a member of, as I said I would, because I felt I owed it to them.

Why do you feel like making such a BS claim that can easily be disproved with the evidence at hand?  Could it be that you just fear this review because it doesn't promote the game like you're trying to do?

"Top port investors have to log in at least once a month or they will be removed from the top investor list.

There are many other ways to develop a port for normal players like donation of items or goods

Top investor benefits are no big deal, fotunately they don't ruin the game."

Yes, but unless you're particularly narcissistic about seeing your name at the top of a list, this is quite meaningless. The benefits, as you say, are "no big deal".  However, what isn't so meaningless is that the nationality of this investment money remains even as the investor's name vanishes.

There isn't much benefit to a country holding a town, but if you dismiss that part, you've eliminated the entire endgame; and suddenly there is not much of a point for the grind you're going through. Personally, that's the point I have reached, and that bond business broke whatever addiction kept me playing; there is no reason to spend weeks and months building something that can be undone within minutes.

Netmarble finally removed the 20x50-million bonds from its lottery rewards, but guess what? The harm is done.  I'm getting reports that all the towns in West South America except one (thanks to dear RobynSnow) are now English.  Whereas Dutch = multiboxers, or used to anyway, English nowadays pretty much = investment bonds. Hell, when I logged in last week, the English controlled Zanzibar. They even held Calicut for a while, until Portugal took it back.  A month and a half of bonds was all it took to undo what took players six months to achieve, and still you get boosters like Wrongfeifong who persist in saying we need the bonds.

Oh, and let's be honest: not every port can be developed with items or goods; most can't.  Only your country's Caribbean colony, Ambon, Ternate and Lima can be developed that way at this time.

"Well over 5 years of devlopement or content have gone into UWO, the op has not experienced half of it."

Because you have? You played on the other servers, I suppose?  Oh, I'll admit that there are areas I could have played more.  I could have done more adventuring, but I found that boring; likewise, maritime stuff never appealed to me, and I had to grind myself to 20 maritime just because it was a prerequisite for some trading ships. So I made it no secret that I stuck to trading for the most part.

Most of the rest of the stuff might not have been experienced, but you're always reminded of what's ahead by those players who want to fast-track the server's development and triple-check everything using Korean-Chinese-Japanese sources.  You know, like for that skill bookshelf: first Valencia, then Bremen, then Lubeck.  Nothing is left to chance in this game, but I wish the developers could turn the tables on people like that.  Players are salivating over the future appearance of white gold in Natal -- nobody knows the exact name of the translated name, which should tell you something, but they know it's there all right -- but what if someone changed the code to make it appear in Sofala instead?  You know, something to reward those who take chances in second-rate ports, and leave the fast-trackers holding the bag?

So, I'm left with stuff that I've experienced going to the dogs, hardcore players incessantly telling me what's supposed to be ahead, and content that I don't find fun to play.

"By learning to play there is still much to enjoy, it's not too late, enjoy UWO me hearties!"

So if I "learn to play", I will find the game fun again? Is that what you're saying?  If that is what you are saying, all I can retort is that you are growing transparently desperate, just so you can save your game full of little shippies with sails. But the game seems to have lost most of its community -- veterans, anyway -- over bonds, and there is no indication that they will be coming back.  Why not address that, while you're at it?

Well I agree some jumped overboard because of the bonds. I'm not supporting them but the huge ones are now thankfully being removed. I appreciate you started the review before you left and am sad to see you go.

Later on at lvl50 It's not so hard to make 15mill on an asian trade or spice run, if players team together players should still be able to flip a port using team-work & co-ordination together wih developing nations colonies it still adds up to fun IMO.

As far as the traders being ruined, I would have to disagree as investing is mainly not to be in the top 5, by careful planning there are lots of other fine gifts, recipes or social ranks that can still be acheived not to mention personal wealth.

Of course it's not for everyone so a desire to sail wooden ships, participate in some martime combat or do some extensive adventuring all helps. All in all there is a lot of content or things to do in UWO that should keep populations happy once the cash shop is sorted out.

It's still early days for UWO global, it's still definately worth a try :)

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

Lol. I've honestly never, in my entire life, seen a comment/MMO review that huge xD

Thanks for the review.

I wonder if I should write a Part 5, since I'm seeing more and more of these empty reviews (all of them positive, of course) that lack any sort of understanding of the goings-on on the international server that preceded the arrival of their little persons.  Seven such "reviews" in the past week; don't you think you're overdoing it?

I really don't play anymore, but at least I could get to bring it up to date by mentioning the gPotato deal and all the rest.

I wonder if I should write a Part 5, since I'm seeing more and more of these empty reviews (all of them positive, of course) that lack any sort of understanding of the goings-on on the international server that preceded the arrival of their little persons.  Seven such "reviews" in the past week; don't you think you're overdoing it?

I really don't play anymore, but at least I could get to bring it up to date by mentioning the gPotato deal and all the rest.

You may know that I have much respect for your reviews as being an accurate representation of what has happened so far in UWO however I don't think a part 5 from a non-player can do a lot to contribute, some of your review is now water under the bridge so it is best left as such as it no longer reflects what is currently happening in-game.

If you were prepared to get back into playing the game with less focus on being a top port investor then a part 5 could be worthwhile, In the meantime you are being seen as a game critic which has led to all the new single posters promoting other aspects of UWO game-play some of which you have overlooked.

I don't think Netmarble are very interested in the truth and will do all they can to cover it up or promote UWO by any fair or un-fair ways as they see fit, there has been little enthusiasm from them to change much for global players.

As long as that doesn't bother you there is still a lot of worthwhile content in UWO to enjoy.

• madmichaeljomadmichaeljo Member Posts: 8

now why wait for a full rigged ship when you can get Veninetion Galliesous are sitting there at the start of the game, and can be had for under 37K after you sell the port down to 50% 

• elaina1elaina1 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    essayfactory could solve this problem as well dude
    I hope you will enjoy it's quality and low prices