Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA removing content from Steam. Forcing users to pick sides.

Comments

• Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Originally posted by ichimarunico

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

I wouldnt be surpised if 10 years from now EA pulls out from ebgames, wallmart and so forth and only sells through origin.

That would be monetary suicide.

You honestly believe htat?

Seriously who still goes to the store to buy things? Especailly games. Cash is being phased out for credit, i just dont see the need for stores these days, in 10 years there will be even less use for them.

well personally i only buy games in stores.  i like to go out, pick up the item in my hand, be able to physically hold it.  i'm weird like that and unfortuntely its quickly becoming less of an option

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by Asmiroth20

Boy, it sure is hard having two applications installed on your computer or not being able to have an account set up for each service...lol

Sounds complicated like brain science or rocket surgery .I down load games from steam.. download games from gog.com,   as well as the odd impulse buy..from stardock as well.This sounds like a good thing to me.Compitition is a good thing no matter what the op thinks.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by madeux

But you're ok with games requiring people to use Steam?

For developers requiring people buy their game at a retail store to go home and install Steam in order to activate?

Fuck that, and fuck Steam.

EA's move is a smart one for them, and good for everyone else involved. Steam is trying to become a monopoly, and Origins is one more roadblock towards stopping that.

Do NOT sign this rediculous petition.

If you think that you won't have to go through the same "online activation" through Origins are you do with Steam, then you're deluding yourself. EA is doing this explicitly to have stronger control over their content delivery and online activation, including DRM.

It will be just as bad as steam, if not much worse.

Uhm . . . Source please?

I don't need a source to know exactly what EA is trying to do... because every other major game developer has or is doing the same. EA's already started the first steps in persistet online authentication with a number of their games already, and if you expect Origin to not be used to leverage that, then you're in for a shock.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Blackfire1

For those who haven't caught wind yet EA is trying to strong are gamers into using its "cloud gaming/marketplace" program instead of steam but making its game content limited to Origins.

They already stated SWTOR will be an "Origin" exclusive, meaning there will be no hard disk and you'll be forced to use their program.  EA unlike steam is trying to be very biased in their efforts. This tactic is very unethical is the buisness world.

They will be following this tactic to Direct 2 drive and other online retailers.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/15/crysis-2-vanishes-from-steam-now-listed-as-only-on-origin/

Tell them to stop trying to break the community.

This petition is just that.

http://www.petitiononline.com/EAmistak/petition.html

Here is their first example. We need to clip this is the balls before it goes anywhere. If you agree sign it, if not don't. Its as simple as that.

Why is this unethical? Someone produces a movie, it is their choice which company they want to pick for marketing.

If I make a game it should be my choice as to which company sponsors me.

If someone invents something, it is their choice which company can resell their product.

What nonsense man?

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

For developers requiring people buy their game at a retail store to go home and install Steam in order to activate?

EA's move is a smart one for them, and good for everyone else involved. Steam is trying to become a monopoly, and Origins is one more roadblock towards stopping that.

If you think that you won't have to go through the same "online activation" through Origins are you do with Steam, then you're deluding yourself. EA is doing this explicitly to have stronger control over their content delivery and online activation, including DRM.

Uhm . . . Source please?

I don't need a source to know exactly what EA is trying to do... because every other major game developer has or is doing the same. EA's already started the first steps in persistet online authentication with a number of their games already, and if you expect Origin to not be used to leverage that, then you're in for a shock.

Actually, you misunderstood me, and I can see why since I wasn't clear.  I wanted a source so I could quote it later.  It looks like you don't have one though, so I will have to look elsewhere.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I've got Steam and I just got a chance to use Origin. Steam is waaay better than Origin. The only thing worse than Origin is Microsoft's Games For Windows Live.

It's making me reconsider buying SW:ToR. It's that bad (in my opinion).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

what is this thread trying to produce? some raging uproar that one company is trying to get as much control and profits than another company which will more likely follow the same exact business method when selling their games in digital format?

EA's the most of their profits, they want their own "Steam" and they have confidence in managing one. No one , ANYWHERE i see that their games can only be bought online, where as you can head to the nearest retail and buy it yourself.

If you have to sign up, log in and set up a account for origin to play the game, then thats no more than a couple minutes of your time. 

Steam or no Steam, it isnt a big deal, and it shouldnt even be a big deal to begin with.

Uhm . . . Source please?

Actually, you misunderstood me, and I can see why since I wasn't clear.  I wanted a source so I could quote it later.  It looks like you don't have one though, so I will have to look elsewhere.

Unfortunately there isn't one right now. EA will try to hold this card as close to their chest as possible because they know that forcing online authentication, particularly for single player only games, isn't popular with gamers. I'm sure there will be one soon enough once the gaming community prods it out of them.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I can only say this, having used EADM/marketplace/downloadcenter/inser name here since it came out. This shift to Origins is somehting we who have used the service for any lenght of time have seen coming a mile away. Heck they have always tried to edge in on Steam, i guess they finally got bored of that game and simpy decided to cut Steam off.

In my mind it will be a brilliant app for people who enjoy EA games.. and most likley a heck of a lot less intrusive then Steam.

This have been a good conversation

Uhm . . . Source please?

Unfortunately there isn't one right now. EA will try to hold this card as close to their chest as possible because they know that forcing online authentication, particularly for single player only games, isn't popular with gamers. I'm sure there will be one soon enough once the gaming community prods it out of them.

I am glad I asked then.  The problem is you are guessing here.  It may be a pretty good educated guess, but it is still a guess.  I would be a little more careful about making accusations you can not back up if I were you.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by athariel

Just so people know, some gamers have bad memory:

the same thing was pulled by lovely Steam. If you wanted to play HalfLife 2 or CS:S back in the day you HAD to install Steam. The reaction was exactly same as now "Omg, why I have to install this buggy program and have it running in the background while playing". That's the reason Steam got popular, not some epic features and stuff.

Also, EA Downloader doesn't require you to have it running in the background, it's possible Origin will be same.

Well that is the key word, possible. If EA only allows me to buy the game digitally from them, rather than my standby direct2drive where I've built considerable credit, then I will just pop down to Geekay Games for a copy. Not a great big deal.

However IF, and I stress IF ( and I seriously don't understand why they would do this ) EA gives me no choice but to be saddled with an uneeded and unwanted background program like Origin to play a game I bought a retail box for, then just like with Ubisoft and their stupid draconian DRM schemes or single player games that require GWL, I will just pass on it completely.

Kinda like how I never bought Spore, or will never buy a gaming console from MS or Sony becuse of their underhanded deals where PC gamers had to wait an extra year to see a copy of a game that started on the PC platform.

Hopefully Bioware will be smart enough not to let this happen. We will just have to keep an eye on what EA is doing.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Personally, I would like one central application that handles all my Games. But thats never gona happen..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Personally I think Steam is the lesser evil of all of them, because they're the most impartial and offer a wider range of products and services than the rest, with less hassle.

I agree with this to an extent. For me, the tipping point was when Steam started updating my video drivers for me. That's when I gave up and stopped doing the uninstall/reinstall every time I wanted to play one of their games. But the practical result of this is if I want to play Dragon Age, it means being logged in to both steam and EA , having two companies keep track of my gaming habits instead of one. I'm not a conspiracy theorist; I don't think they're interested in anything other than raw data. But I do wish Steam would stop tallying the number of hours of my life I've squandered playing Plants vs Zombies. I already know it's too many.

Originally posted by Beanpuie

what is this thread trying to produce? some raging uproar that one company is trying to get as much control and profits than another company which will more likely follow the same exact business method when selling their games in digital format?
    EA's the most of their profits, they want their own "Steam" and they have confidence in managing one. No one , ANYWHERE i see that their games can only be bought online, where as you can head to the nearest retail and buy it yourself.
    If you have to sign up, log in and set up a account for origin to play the game, then thats no more than a couple minutes of your time. 

Steam or no Steam, it isnt a big deal, and it shouldnt even be a big deal to begin with.

Origin has a very poor user interface and the integration between existing EA accounts, the Origin Online Store and the Origin application I would rate "poor" as well. I understand what they're doing...they're just doing a bad job of competing with established systems like Steam.

Originally posted by tawess

I can only say this, having used EADM/marketplace/downloadcenter/inser name here since it came out. This shift to Origins is somehting we who have used the service for any lenght of time have seen coming a mile away. Heck they have always tried to edge in on Steam, i guess they finally got bored of that game and simpy decided to cut Steam off.

In my mind it will be a brilliant app for people who enjoy EA games.. and most likley a heck of a lot less intrusive then Steam.

It will very likely be the opposite.

With EA controlling the game development and the content delivery platform, be prepared for even more agressive ingame advertising of DLC, "conveniently" purchasable through Origin while playing a game.

Steam on the other hand, you can disable the overlay. Heck, there's a lot of steam games you can run straight through the executable outside of Steam and it will work just fine without needing Steam running. Steam even lets you load non-steam games using it's overlay so you can keep in touch with your friends on Steam if you so choose... I doubt Origin will allow for this.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

This ^^

Originally posted by lizardbones 

Originally posted by Beanpuie

Origin has a very poor user interface and the integration between existing EA accounts, the Origin Online Store and the Origin application I would rate "poor" as well. I understand what they're doing...they're just doing a bad job of competing with established systems like Steam.

Geez, it just went live and isn't even fully operational yet.  Give them a couple weeks to get things straightened out.  Even STEAM wasn't perfect on day one.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by Blackfire1

SWOTR is just an example. The point is the unethical tactics, the strong arming procedures, and the taking away of gamers choice.

I came here to spread the word. Every little bit helps.

Steam vs EA. Its the lesser of the two evils.

{mod edit}

I'm not sure that i follow you here. Since when is it for a seller forbiden to sell HIS product exclusively via HIS online store? Besides, no one forces anyone to purchase SW TOR from EA's online service. One can happily go to his local store and buy the game.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by athariel

Just so people know, some gamers have bad memory:

the same thing was pulled by lovely Steam. If you wanted to play HalfLife 2 or CS:S back in the day you HAD to install Steam. The reaction was exactly same as now "Omg, why I have to install this buggy program and have it running in the background while playing". That's the reason Steam got popular, not some epic features and stuff.

Also, EA Downloader doesn't require you to have it running in the background, it's possible Origin will be same.

Well that is the key word, possible. If EA only allows me to buy the game digitally from them, rather than my standby direct2drive where I've built considerable credit, then I will just pop down to Geekay Games for a copy. Not a great big deal.

However IF, and I stress IF ( and I seriously don't understand why they would do this ) EA gives me no choice but to be saddled with an uneeded and unwanted background program like Origin to play a game I bought a retail box for, then just like with Ubisoft and their stupid draconian DRM schemes or single player games that require GWL, I will just pass on it completely.

Kinda like how I never bought Spore, or will never buy a gaming console from MS or Sony becuse of their underhanded deals where PC gamers had to wait an extra year to see a copy of a game that started on the PC platform.

Hopefully Bioware will be smart enough not to let this happen. We will just have to keep an eye on what EA is doing.

Bioware has already stated that the ONLY way to buy the game digitally will be through Origins.

You'll be able to get your boxed copy at the store if you really feel that strongly about it.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I don't like it, mostly because the EA store SUCKED and I doubt "Origin" will be any better.  Also honestly I like all my games in one place and I don't need Origins and steam running at the same time.   

So really it more going with the one I know(that doesn't have DRM) over the one I don't(and is run by a company I don't trust).

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Merlin1977

This ^^

Double This ^^

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

With EA controlling the game development and the content delivery platform, be prepared for even more agressive ingame advertising of DLC, "conveniently" purchasable through Origin while playing a game.

Steam on the other hand, you can disable the overlay. Heck, there's a lot of steam games you can run straight through the executable outside of Steam and it will work just fine without needing Steam running. Steam even lets you load non-steam games using it's overlay so you can keep in touch with your friends on Steam if you so choose... I doubt Origin will allow for this.

And that is the beauty of OPINIONS... every one can have one. And i know that steam is a lot leaner today... but it used to be a brutish thug that did nasty things to your computer. But yes.. EA is moving more and more in to "online verification" both their Sims and Mass Effect series has this to one degree or another and i see no end to it saddly.

In my opinion tho... They still have some massiv catching up to do with Steam in the area of "strong-arm tactics"

This have been a good conversation

• ShinseiYamaShinseiYama Member UncommonPosts: 40

Origin works the same way EADM did, Origin is EADM.

You buy a game thrue ORIGIN application , game gets added to your games library , you download, and thats it.

The game can be started either inside ORIGIN program, or close the program and run the game normaly via shortcut.

You guys are so uptight its unbelivable, how about first testing it and then speaking about it.

ORIGIN is not like Steam where steam has to run for you to play games bought on it.

Also lets not forget that prices on steam are higher, then bought directly from company that made game.

Use what ever ya want and leave ppl alone they dont need your opinion or mine to know whats right for them.

Origin has a ways to go before it's something I don't mind having running in the background. The only reason I have it running at all is because I have to have it running to play Alice:MR. It's pretty obvious, if you use it, that Origin isn't really ready to compete with Steam in terms of features and usability. The only possible upside to them pushing it out right now is that it means SW:ToR might be coming out soon. I would have to think hard before buying it if the only way to buy it is through Origin.

@archangel100 - I've tested, used it and compared it to the competition and it's lacking. Origin is 'Poor' where Steam is 'Fair to Middling'...possibly even 'Good'.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Does anyone know if Origins will replace the EA Download Manager? If so, I don't mind because I already have a few games on EADM. But if it is a seperate programme, AGAIN, i'm not really keen on using another new store. Steam is my main and only store I buy games from, so I really hope this will be just a replacement of EADM.