Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA removing content from Steam. Forcing users to pick sides.

Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

For those who haven't caught wind yet EA is trying to strong are gamers into using its "cloud gaming/marketplace" program instead of steam but making its game content limited to Origins.

They already stated SWTOR will be an "Origin" exclusive, meaning there will be no hard disk and you'll be forced to use their program.  EA unlike steam is trying to be very biased in their efforts. This tactic is very unethical is the buisness world.

They will be following this tactic to Direct 2 drive and other online retailers.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/15/crysis-2-vanishes-from-steam-now-listed-as-only-on-origin/

Tell them to stop trying to break the community.

This petition is just that.

http://www.petitiononline.com/EAmistak/petition.html

Here is their first example. We need to clip this is the balls before it goes anywhere. If you agree sign it, if not don't. Its as simple as that.

Comments

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Sorry, what they said was that it will be an "Origin" exclusive and only be available for live download via Origin, but that you will still be able to buy a boxed version (disks) of the game if you wanted too.

So basically what they are doing is ONLY selling their games on-line themselves in order to maximize profits.  Sounds cool with me.  I wouldn't want to pay someone else to do something I can do myself either.  Also what they are doing is not unethical, it is however prudent and cost effective so I hope they do this with EVERY on-line retailer they have been using in the past.

As for "breaking the community" . . . sorry, that is probably one the the funniest things I have heard in a long time.

So to sum it up, I have no problem with what they are doing and think it is a smart business decision, you are either uniformed OR misread the statement on Origin, and lastly, I will NOT be signing any petition!

{mod edit}

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

But you're ok with games requiring people to use Steam?

For developers requiring people buy their game at a retail store to go home and install Steam in order to activate?

Fuck that, and fuck Steam.

EA's move is a smart one for them, and good for everyone else involved. Steam is trying to become a monopoly, and Origins is one more roadblock towards stopping that.

Do NOT sign this rediculous petition.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by madeux

For developers requiring people buy their game at a retail store to go home and install Steam in order to activate?

EA's move is a smart one for them, and good for everyone else involved. Steam is trying to become a monopoly, and Origins is one more roadblock towards stopping that.

We've differed in opinions in the past but on this one I'm with you 100%. Nothing will ever make me feel sorry or protective of STEAM. They certainly aren't saints and some of the things they've done to customers over the years...well, I could see a grass-roots effort if their record was spotless. It ain't.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

SWOTR is just an example. The point is the unethical tactics, the strong arming procedures, and the taking away of gamers choice.

I came here to spread the word. Every little bit helps.

Steam vs EA. Its the lesser of the two evils.

{mod edit}

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Business Execs making smart business decisions, nothing to see here.

In Bioware we trust!

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Blackfire1

SWOTR is just an example. The point is the unethical tactics, the strong arming procedures, and the taking away of gamers choice.

{mod edit}

Haha so just because people don't agree with you, you become agressive. So much diplomacy, bet you just convinced everyone to your point of view.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

First of all, Origin will be exclusive only to digital sales, you will still be able to buy the boxed version and play (still you'll need to sign through Origin I think).

Second, I'll sign the petition because Steam is awesome. I rarely buy anything outside of Steam so I would be sad indeed if EA pulled their content from there.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

EA selling games on steam is like Blizzard lettng EA distrubute their next expansion.

EA is a big publisher

Valve is a big publisher.

EA and Valve are competitors, time to realize that.

In my opinion, EA screwed up by letting steam distrubute for them in the first place, they shouldve done this years ago. THey have 3 times the library, and if you guys care to pay attention Origin sells boxed and digital copies of the game as well as xbox, ps3 and pc games unlike steam, and connects PS3,xbox and pc players together. They also offer free shipping on games over 40 bucks, Origin is trying to do soemthing a lot bigger then steam.

I wouldnt be surpised if 10 years from now EA pulls out from ebgames, wallmart and so forth and only sells through origin.

There are no sides to pick, im buying star wars through origin, same with battlefiedl 3 and need for speed on the run, and i will purchase whatever valve only game through steam.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

Boy, it sure is hard having two applications installed on your computer or not being able to have an account set up for each service...lol

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Blackfire1

Got I forgot how much people on this web site are pompus self rightious asshats. Fuck you all. I know better then to come here.

Well then that's an easy choice; DON'T come here.

The only pompous self-righteous asshat in this thread is you OP, your trying to scream about strong arming the end user by forcing them to use a certain download software while defending STEAM?!?! You mean the program that MUST be running while you play ANY game you purchased through it? No no, that's not strong arming anyone by making it to where you can not run a game you purchased without running their software in the background.

By Origins being used by EA, now gamers have MORE choices, and hopefully more of these sorts of systems will come into play to break up Steam's strangle hold on that area of the game market. I love how cranked up some of Steam's prices are, especially if you live across the pond, but hey that's what you can do when you have a monopoly.

Your facts were wrong, your stance is wrong, your attitude is wrong, and you're just mad because you're the only moron in the room.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by revy66

First of all, Origin will be exclusive only to digital sales, you will still be able to buy the boxed version and play (still you'll need to sign through Origin I think).

Second, I'll sign the petition because Steam is awesome. I rarely buy anything outside of Steam so I would be sad indeed if EA pulled their content from there.

I think a lot of people are jumping to this conclusion, but there's been no word on if this is the case. I hope not, I hate things like steam running in the background while I'm playing games. It takes up resources that would be better used for the game I'm playing.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

I wouldnt be surpised if 10 years from now EA pulls out from ebgames, wallmart and so forth and only sells through origin.

That would be monetary suicide.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

This is no different from Steam being the sole source of digital downloads for games made by its parent company, Valve. There's no Portal or Half-Life on direct2drive. And if you want to talk about strongarm tactics, I've rarely felt sorrier for a company than the day I downloaded a game from d2d and the first thing it did was install Steam.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

I would rather purchase a game through the company making it, or their designated publisher, than going through some unrelated 3rd party like Steam.

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

Originally posted by Shoju

I would rather purchase a game through the company making it, or their designated publisher, than going through some unrelated 3rd party like Steam.

Same here.

What is unethical in selling one's own product by one's own platform rather than by 3th party?

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by TheAesthete

This is no different from Steam being the sole source of digital downloads for games made by its parent company, Valve. There's no Portal or Half-Life on direct2drive. And if you want to talk about strongarm tactics, I've rarely felt sorrier for a company than the day I downloaded a game from d2d and the first thing it did was install Steam.

There has to be an inception joke in there somewhere.image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

I am actually surprised that a Moderator has not deleted this thread yet.  Yea, I saw he editted the OP's second post, but considering the blatant lie in both the first post AND the second post I would think this thread rated being deleted.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

I don't care.... can I still play the games? Then why bitch

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

If you think that you won't have to go through the same "online activation" through Origins are you do with Steam, then you're deluding yourself. EA is doing this explicitly to have stronger control over their content delivery and online activation, including DRM.

It will be just as bad as steam, if not much worse.

Originally posted by Ceridith

If you think that you won't have to go through the same "online activation" through Origins are you do with Steam, then you're deluding yourself. EA is doing this explicitly to have stronger control over their content delivery and online activation, including DRM.

It will be just as bad as steam, if not much worse.

Uhm . . . Source please?

Originally posted by ichimarunico

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

That would be monetary suicide.

You honestly believe htat?

Seriously who still goes to the store to buy things? Especailly games. Cash is being phased out for credit, i just dont see the need for stores these days, in 10 years there will be even less use for them.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• atharielathariel Member Posts: 91

Just so people know, some gamers have bad memory:

the same thing was pulled by lovely Steam. If you wanted to play HalfLife 2 or CS:S back in the day you HAD to install Steam. The reaction was exactly same as now "Omg, why I have to install this buggy program and have it running in the background while playing". That's the reason Steam got popular, not some epic features and stuff.

Also, EA Downloader doesn't require you to have it running in the background, it's possible Origin will be same.

Originally posted by BarakIII

I think a lot of people are jumping to this conclusion, but there's been no word on if this is the case. I hope not, I hate things like steam running in the background while I'm playing games. It takes up resources that would be better used for the game I'm playing.

The boxed version will install origin, and origin will act like steam, tracking achievement and friends and all past ea purchases, boxed or digital. I have origin running righ tnow, it only uses 50mb of memory. But then again i have 16gigs of ram, i dont notice things running in my background.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by BarakIII

Get used to it, because all developers are trying to adopt online authentication.

Whether it's Steam, Games for windows Live, Ubisoft's required permenant online connection, Battle.net, or EA's new system, you'll have to have it running in the background and have an online connection if you want to play your games.

Personally I think Steam is the lesser evil of all of them, because they're the most impartial and offer a wider range of products and services than the rest, with less hassle.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

last time i checked EA can do whatever the hell they want with their products?

this hardly has any effect on us since, if not already, we'll just have to install another program. Oh and not to mention you could already buy games online from EA using the same program they now named origin to download, they just expanded it with some extra features and are trying to get some more exclusivity on their stuff so they won't have to pay steam a % of what they earn with their own games.

Also why let someone else do it when you can and already are doing about the same thing yourself ?

kinda makes sense they made this move don't you think ? For example i wouldn't want to pay  €  1000 for a premade pc when i can just as well put one together thats about the same or maybe even better for the same price.