Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Done with wow... would like something new

InsomniaqInsomniaq Member Posts: 29

Title pretty much says it all. I've played most MMOs out there for their free trial periods just out of curiosity, but I knew after that ran out I'd just go back to WoW so I can't say I really put much effort into trying them all, so any suggestions I will just treat like I've never tried them before.

I've played AC, LOTRO, DAOC, and WoW for all of the MMOs I've played seriously. Honestly AC was my favorite with the skill based system, housing, allegiance system, and community... however the servers need more than 400 people on at a time to bring me back. I played LOTRO mainly because it's now f2p and there's no reason not to. DAOC was my 2nd love, because I'm a huge fanboi when it comes to Arthurian stuff. And WoW is just wow. Made some great friends there, but now that they've all moved on it's time for me to do the same.

I'm really looking for a game with a great community. I have very short patience for the elitist @sshats that seem to flood most modern games. I know, finding a good guild and friends to play with really help this out and help to just tune those guys out, but if there are few of them to start with then that's a bonus.

PvP isn't terribly important to me, but it's nice to have every now and then.

Housing is also a major bonus to me. It's just fun to have something else to do like that.

I'm not hooked enough on LOTRO to make it a main game for me, so please don't suggest that. I'll keep it as a backup MMO for now.

Also, I'm not looking necessarily for a modern or even a AAA MMO. Old, indie, whatever, as long as it's good.

Comments

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

I would suggest Darkfall if you haven't tried it already. There's a free trial. It might suprise you. You could also try AoC once it goes F2P. Fallen Earth is another you might find interesting if you don't mind the Post Apocalyptic setting. Maybe Forsaken World.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

I would say wait for SWTOR to come out...that is where you will find everyone soon.

• cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106

have you tried rift?

• InsomniaqInsomniaq Member Posts: 29

I've tried Fallen Earth and liked it, but am not sure about the combat style. I might give it another go. Darkfall was cool in the trial but I ran into a lot of the elitists there. Could just have been the day or just me being unlucky...

I'm one of the guys that think SWTOR is going to be a huge flop... so I'm not waiting for that. A few months after it releases I may give it a go if my concerns are proven wrong.

I have tried Rift. Honestly, it was too similar to WoW and I feel as though if I'm going to play a game like that, I might as well play WoW where I already have my lvl 85s. Leveling in Rift just felt like going through the motions again.

• MisalignedMisaligned Member UncommonPosts: 45

Vanguard.

Is Vanguard not on it's death bed? I've heard it's no longer receiving any updates or any dev attention. That doesn't seem like much of a point for me to possibly get into a game that doesn't even warrant attention from the people who made it.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Take a look at Everquest 2.  Has, hands-down, the best instanced housing out there.  Plus they have a F2P version EQ2X, but there are a lot of restrictions on class/race/gear, but it'll give you an idea on what it's like.

so here's a question. I've been searching the forums for a while and I'm noticing pretty much everyone is recommending the same games, but mostly the "wait for SWTOR or ArcheAge" responses. Are there really no good games out there anymore? Or are people just too busy playing the good ones? :)

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Insomniaq

so here's a question. I've been searching the forums for a while and I'm noticing pretty much everyone is recommending the same games, but mostly the "wait for SWTOR or ArcheAge" responses. Are there really no good games out there anymore? Or are people just too busy playing the good ones? :)

There are only so many decent games out there to recommend, especially when you're looking for something specific.  And everyone has their preference of games, so chances are they'll recommend whatever they're currently playing.  Me, I've recently fallen in love with SWG, but I'm not going to recommend it, opens up for flames and will end up derailing the thread.  As for waiting for SWTOR and ArcheAge, I think those responses are a complete waste of time.  1)the game isn't out yet, we have no idea how it'll play til it comes out (seen too many games hyped up and turn out like crap) and 2)most people are looking for a game for right now.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

If you want a really good game try Eve

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

There's a lot of the same thing out there at the moment. Right now a lot of long-time players are burned out and/or not impressed with a lot of the current crop. Games like ArcheAge, TSW, TOR and GW2 show a lot of promise, so people are just getting by until those games come out.

That said, there are a couple of fun titles that come to mind, but they don't meet every one of your needs:

- Ryzom has a great community and fun game, but the community is tiny

- Fallen Earth has a decent community and fun crafting, but no housing or economy (as far as I know)

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

if you dont mind that community, while good, is rather small, try ryzom, istaria or vanguard

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

If you are interested in Guild Wars 2, i'd try Guild Wars. There is a lot of stuff to unlock for GW2 (all for the looks). You will spend quite some time to unlock all the stuff, so only play IF you are interested in Guild Wars.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

Do you use Steam? I only ask because they just added 5 free to play mmos to their library. They're free, so they may be worth a look for you. Of the five, Forsaken World is a lot like WoW, so you may like it, /shrug. Other than those 5, Rift and Warhammer have free trials, and are worth a look, in my opinion.