Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK what has Dell done to my system, help me figure this out please.

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Ok I just  got me a Alienware Mx11(standard system ) for gaming when it was on sale for $599 at Alienware.com in April, The price came to around $679 with shipping cost and taxing. When I got my new system ready out the box, my brain was amaze of the new speeds it was receiving. So my first game to test my system on was the new RIFT, I was able to play RIFT on high! With no lag anywhere, it was such a great wonderful feeling to not be lagging and that RIFT looked fantastic.

Ok I just  got me a Alienware Mx11(standard system ) for gaming when it was on sale for $599 at Alienware.com in April, The price came to around $679 with shipping cost and taxing. When I got my new system ready out the box, my brain was amaze of the new speeds it was receiving. So my first game to test my system on was the new RIFT, I was able to play RIFT on high! With no lag anywhere, it was such a great wonderful feeling to not be lagging and that RIFT looked fantastic.

But...... doom came upon my new system, a hacker  got into my system, drop off some Trojan and a virus. I had Norton going but that Trojan that was in my system could not be removed by Norton alone, I was advise to download  the removal tool from Norton site.  With the removal tool I was able to remove that Trojan but! that tool also destroyed my Alienware and left me with a prompt on start up the "Blue screen of death" that I could not get pass, even with system restore. So I contact Dell for some damn support and was asked to pay $200 for the top secret no disk fix hack prevention code or deal with a broken system. My warranty did not cover for a 10min fix so I just hanged up the phone, went to Walmart and got me a CD/DVD usb hook up for my laptop, install the window 7 64bit with Alienware logo on it that came with my system and now my system is not the same at all, it is slow, I cannot play games on high now, games is now using very high cpu usage to the point my system had to memory dump etc. My system is slow now and I do not know what the hell is going on.

Widows rated my system as a  4.0 when I first got it and now  it rate it as 3.2 after restoring windows 7 O.O

224-9555

Alienware M11x, Cosmic Black

Overclockable Intel Core2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz (3MB Cache, 800MHz FSB)

2GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz

11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED

1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

160GB SATAII 5,400RPM

AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue

Alienware Command Center Software for Alienware M11x

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

DataSafe Local BackUp

PC-Restore, Dim/Insp

DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG

Integrated 10/100 Network Interface Card

Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 Multi-Language

Integrated High-Definition Surround Sound Audio (5.1)

Alienware M11x a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO Wireless

Automatic Updates: On

1.3 Megapixel Webcam

1 Year Limited Warranty

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

First of all I hate Nortons, in all my years of dealings with it I have never had anything but problems. I would suggest getting something like Kaspersky or any Anti-virus that actually works and doesnt attempt to take over your system in the process. 

The disk that came with the computer, does it actually say Windows 7 installation disk, or does it just say Alienware recovery disk. I know when I bought my Alienware many years back they gave me some thing that just restored factoty settings, didnt actually wipe the drive at all. 

Secondly make sure it did not partion your hard drive and you actually have two installs now. 

Thirdly did you reinstall all the drivers again after you restored the comptuer?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Did you reinstall the video drivers?  Those don't come with Windows, but rather, it uses some generic drivers that are designed basically to work well enough to let you go get the real drivers, but not much more.  If you haven't done so already, then go to Nvidia's web site and get the latest drivers for your card.

For what it's worth, that's not a gaming laptop, or a gaming anything else.  More than a few games will completely choke on that processor.  The graphics aren't really any better than the integrated graphics that AMD released just yesterday, so you'll have to turn settings down quite a ways in a lot of games.  The graphics aren't in "game won't run" territory, though.

It's very old hardware that Dell was trying to get rid of.  They surely thank you for taking it off their hands, though.  But when you run into games that don't run well, it will because the hardware that you need just isn't there.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by Xerith

First of all I hate Nortons, in all my years of dealings with it I have never had anything but problems. I would suggest getting something like Kaspersky or any Anti-virus that actually works and doesnt attempt to take over your system in the process. 

The disk that came with the computer, does it actually say Windows 7 installation disk, or does it just say Alienware recovery disk. I know when I bought my Alienware many years back they gave me some thing that just restored factoty settings, didnt actually wipe the drive at all. 

Secondly make sure it did not partion your hard drive and you actually have two installs now. 

Thirdly did you reinstall all the drivers again after you restored the comptuer?

Yup it is just a recovery disk only..... Yes I reinstall some drivers from dell driver section. I had to get my command center back and everything needed for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Make sure that you got your video drivers from Nvidia and not from Dell.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by Quizzical

Make sure that you got your video drivers from Nvidia and not from Dell.

Thank you both for the support.