Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony... nintendo... makers of fallout, and now CCP of eve online HACKED

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Well back online. . looks more like they tried something and they shut it down. 

"A message from our COO.

At 17:00 UTC today, CCP became aware of a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS) against the EVE Online cluster and web servers.

Our policy in such cases is to mobilize a taskforce of internal and external experts to evaluate the situation. At 17:55 UTC, that group concluded that our best course of action was to go completely offline while an exhaustive scan of our entire infrastructure was executed.

While some may feel that such a drastic reaction was not warranted, it is always our approach to err on the side of caution in order to ensure the best possible service for our players and the security of their personal, billing and account information.

We understand the effect this disruption has had for our players and apologize for not having been able to explain fully to the community what was going on. In these cases it can often be counterproductive to containment to give out information while we are in the process of evaluating the scope of any potential problem.

Our taskforce concluded at 22:05 that neither the game servers nor the CCP infrastructure had been breached. Further, we can also confirm that no personal details such as users’ credentials or credit card numbers were exposed through this incident.

The servers were brought back online at 23:00 and we will continue to monitor the situation closely.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this disruption.

Regards,

Jón Hörðdal

Chief Operating Officer"

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Wraithone

Why stop at caning? I'm certain that if you water board them, you'd get everything they know damn fast. Then you could ship them off to gitmo. Lets not take half measures in these situations... We must do what ever is necessary to fight the Global War against Cyber Terrorism...

If the minor irritations these kids are causing is enough for you to consider their actions cyber terrorism, then you'll be in for a shock if real cyber terrorism actually occurs.

These guys are at best a bunch of people thinking they'll cause social change by trying to irritate "the man" through minor disruption and vandalism, and at worst they're taking trolling to a new level.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by jadedlevir

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Originally posted by jerkbeast

If I leave my door unlocked and someone opens my door, and steals my things I think they should be punished accordingly. I do not think that I should be to blame for my door being unlocked. The person that ignored my property rights, and entered my place without permission is soley to blame. When  you violate another persons personal freedoms you no longer should have any of your own.

But if you store the things of lots of other people who trust you, take money for it, and don't even bother to lock the door - shouldn't you be punished just the same?

Oh ok, by that logic if a bank or something has a vault that is impassible by normal means, and a bunch of thiefs blow the safe up and steal the money, you blame the bank right?

If someone pulls out a gun and robs a clerk, you blame the clerk because the stores survalence camera and his combat skill couldn't stop the gun? It's the clerks job to maintain the store right?

Stop making excuses for the hackers, they didn't go to a sony computer and click administrator and when it asked for a password enter the word "password" and have access to thousands personal files.  they obviously went thro very extensive measures to hack these companies.

edit: it kind of reminds me of when someone murders someone and the blames some artist/music for his actions. It wasn't sony's or any of these company's faults, it was the hackers.

-SNIP-

They've openly admitted their system was out of date -SNIP-

Actually if you are talking about the main Sony PSN hack then their software was not out of date, websites and the media grabbed hold of a rumour and it became "fact" after many chinese whispers. This was proven by several people outside of Sony who simply checked the webcache to find out what software version was active in the weeks leading up to the hack. Other than that Sony openly admitted the webserver of Sony pictures that got hacked more recently was out of date.

So lets stick to the facts if we can, remember the internetz are full of redherrings & false information (celebrity deaths anyone ?) so lets not spread this crap as fact like some sort of lemmings.

As for Sony I never put my Personal info on PSN and I never will.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Why stop at caning? I'm certain that if you water board them, you'd get everything they know damn fast. Then you could ship them off to gitmo. Lets not take half measures in these situations... We must do what ever is necessary to fight the Global War against Cyber Terrorism...

If the minor irritations these kids are causing is enough for you to consider their actions cyber terrorism, then you'll be in for a shock if real cyber terrorism actually occurs.

These guys are at best a bunch of people thinking they'll cause social change by trying to irritate "the man" through minor disruption and vandalism, and at worst they're taking trolling to a new level.

They are criminals and thiefs the lot of them and I hope when they are caught they are thrown down for several years.  Excuses do not cover up the fact they are thiefs they are not "sticking it to the man" they are targeting customes and consumers who have nothing to do with their dillusions of grandure.

I hope they get caught locked away and have a good time with Bubba.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Eventually almost all personal core information will be out there. It simply becomes harder and harder to maintain a level of privacy about basic identification.

The question is...why is it so easy to use that core info to get access to money/accounts? How easy does it have to be to open a new credit card or use an existing card? Why isn't most email sent securely (https even)? People simply don't want that one extra step in the verification process. After all, it might take an extra 30 seconds and you can't buy those Limited Edition Hello Kitty backpacks fast enough.

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

I don't like Sony so I just kind of lol'd when they got hacked multiple times. I felt they went a bit overboard by actually releasing all of those peoples personal info. If they wanted to play peoples champion & teach Sony a lesson it wasn't necessary to release all that info.

I didn't like it but i could at least see things from the hackers perspective, slightly. Now however I just don't understand it. Sony screwed over a lot of people in a lot of different ways so imo, they did kind of deserve it. CCP though? They're good people, I don't understand the reasoning behind hacking them.

At this point I'd really just like to hear why they hacked CCP & the others. I know a lot of people are saying they did it because they can or for the attention but I would like to hear exactly why they did it, from their own mouths. I'm not trying to sympathize with the hackers but I just can't understand why they would hit CCP, Nintendo & some of the others who imo seem like genuinely good, honest companies who just like to make games that make people happy.

So, I gotta ask: LulzSec, y u madbros?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Dorko2k

I don't like Sony so I just kind of lol'd when they got hacked multiple times. I felt they went a bit overboard by actually releasing all of those peoples personal info. If they wanted to play peoples champion & teach Sony a lesson it wasn't necessary to release all that info.

I didn't like it but i could at least see things from the hackers perspective, slightly. Now however I just don't understand it. Sony screwed over a lot of people in a lot of different ways so imo, they did kind of deserve it. CCP though? They're good people, I don't understand the reasoning behind hacking them.

At this point I'd really just like to hear why they hacked CCP & the others. I know a lot of people are saying they did it because they can or for the attention but I would like to hear exactly why they did it, from their own mouths. I'm not trying to sympathize with the hackers but I just can't understand why they would hit CCP, Nintendo & some of the others who imo seem like genuinely good, honest companies who just like to make games that make people happy.

My cousin is a software engineer for SOE.  Did he screw over a lot of people?  Did he deserve having to work long hours, forsaking time better spent with his family in order to solve issues regarding sony's online networks?

None of that is true, but do you see why your statement is rather short sighted? 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

You mean foaming at the mouth over these peoples antics isn't warranted?... ^^ You can bet that the politicians and the hysterics will be certain to take advantage of it, to advance their control of the internet, mores the pity.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Originally posted by Dorko2k

My cousin is a software engineer for SOE.  Did he screw over a lot of people?  Did he deserve having to work long hours, forsaking time better spent with his family in order to solve issues regarding sony's online networks?

None of that is true, but do you see why your statement is rather short sighted? 

No, he doesn't deserve that. But then he is hardly in a position to make SOE policy, is he? It was their suits and bean counters who no doubt decided(by omission if not commission) to spend so little to keep their systems secure. Its not just technology thats important, its your personnels knowledge and experience. But people with that cost a LOT more than, the types SOE must have been using.  They, and by extension their customers have now paid for that. But given the nature of such things, the suits responsible for it, will likely be the last ones held accountable for it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by jado818

Originally posted by Psychow

Should just make some new laws making penalties for doing these types of attacks more stringent.

Maybe a 5~10K$ fine?

I know if I had kids and ended up having to pay 10K dollars because they were dicking around on the internet doing DDoS on some random stupid company... they'd lose their computer pretty fast.

I'm pretty sure 5 - 10 years in prison would be a better deterrent.

That would work for older people.. but some countries don't send minors to prison..

Like the USA where i live.. minors usually end up doing something dumb like 50 hours community service..

steal a car>>> go clean trash for 3 weekends..

If there was a fine that made the parents of the young troublemakers like this actually do their job and monitor their children a little bit... then maybe things like this would be less common.

I don't think this hacking is done by children.

But who ever is doing it I do hope they will catch him/her/them and take away their computer privilage for the rest of their lives.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

In longrun goverment will censor and they lock up internet more and more take away our freedom and limited the internet acces  becouse to many just do whatever they want even for fun of it.

Make sure you dont do anything personal on internet so hackers can't get to you.

Ah right thats asking all to stop breathing hehe.

Facebook/twitter/google/linkd/myspace and smarthphones so many more are privacy fragile and primary targets for evil forces out there. Wanne give up your freedom register, keep registering on those and soon your freedom is gone.

Soon your whole life is on internet and you can never change that lol. Internet is hackers paradise:P

Seems also these days register by some game company your also not safe with your personal data.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

All we have to ask is: Who benefits? We all know how uncomfortable governments are with the internet (spanish-revolution, wikileaks, etc.). In my opinion we may see some upcoming curtailment of our internet-freedom approved by the frightened industry and public opinion.

What I'm trying to say is that lulzSec is their toy, but maybe I'm just paranoid and he just did it for the "lulz".

• DraneanDranean Member Posts: 77

Hello everyone,

I am playing Eve-Online when time allows. Yesterday I was playing my game as I finally got some spare time from the wife and kid.. Server went down.. and again.. bye bye relaxing time.. Anyway, hacking or attacking companies.. What is the point of that ? Distributed Denial of Service attacks against gaming industry does not only affect the global economy when company throw the towel in the ring..

The persons performing these DDOS are victimizing the people that pay for such services. Games are meant for entertainment. Most MMORPG's (Eve-Online, World of Tanks etc..) of these days have large scale combat (Raids vs Raids etc..) It is a known fact that some people take certain games way to serious in a negative way. I’ll give a few examples from Eve-Online..

Eve-Online - 2006 Ascendant Frontier vs BoB

Mid-end 2006 BoB managed to find a way to crash nodes where complete fleets were kicked and later wiped off the battlefield. Later teamspeak/ventrilo services were shut down in order to disturb communication (out of game) ASCN disbanded early 2007..

Currently, Bigger alliances seem to attack each other out of game instead of in game in order to achieve whatever they want to achieve in game. Whether this done by shutting down external communication or websites/forums etc. should be punished in court for breaching privacy and whatnot...

How will games work in the future ? I mean, nothing wrong with a bit of competition of course.. The only fear I have are the players that are about to lose a match/fight (whatever) shutdown a gaming server with the idea that they at least will have their stuff when they log back in? Or clan vs clan matches are interrupted by such attacks just to keep their 100% win stats?

Let's hope that this is not the case & sorry for the mini wall of text...

Regards,

Dran

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

Indians took down HoN because the game didn't "officially" recognize their country with a country flag.

King of horrible reasons.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

You know I have been thinking. I can see why Sony was hacked. But these companies? Why? If more companies get hit, I can see this hacking being directed and influenced by someone else. I am going to say if this hacking game companies keeps up, its a false flag. Think about it for a second. Most of these companies have a subsription base. Therefore, personal information is obtainable. Since the government wants to take over the internet, whose not to say that this is a by product of them; using these hackers as contractors. What I am trying to get at is, your not safe on the internet with your online gaming, therefore sacrifice your internet freedom for secruity. Whether that secruity be more government restrictions or an rfid chip. Just food for thought.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by Psychow

Should just make some new laws making penalties for doing these types of attacks more stringent.

Maybe a 5~10K$ fine?

I know if I had kids and ended up having to pay 10K dollars because they were dicking around on the internet doing DDoS on some random stupid company... they'd lose their computer pretty fast.

I'm pretty sure 5 - 10 years in prison would be a better deterrent.

That would work for older people.. but some countries don't send minors to prison..

Like the USA where i live.. minors usually end up doing something dumb like 50 hours community service..

steal a car>>> go clean trash for 3 weekends..

If there was a fine that made the parents of the young troublemakers like this actually do their job and monitor their children a little bit... then maybe things like this would be less common.

Depends on the crime.

Take a look at people who have committed major "white collar" crimes. Their not kids and yet they get off very lightly for the amount of people they have hurt.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

All these hacks taking aim at all sectors of the internet....I wonder if there is an internet security bill coming up that is lacking support. I'm guessing it involves strict regulation on internet usage for "security purposes". Basically we are about to trade internet freedom for internet security....just like the pedophiles, and ball gropers at the airport. Freedom for security. I think this is an internal thing, and I don't care if you all think i'm crazy....I just don't trust this administration AT ALL.

It's not just this administration.

And this fear tactic is common. Make a group of people afraid of something or someone and you can pass all kinds of crazy laws.

In fact outside of the gaming world, its been used recently. And soon we in the US will see it put to use.

Originally posted by caremuchless

All these hacks taking aim at all sectors of the internet....I wonder if there is an internet security bill coming up that is lacking support. I'm guessing it involves strict regulation on internet usage for "security purposes". Basically we are about to trade internet freedom for internet security....just like the pedophiles, and ball gropers at the airport. Freedom for security. I think this is an internal thing, and I don't care if you all think i'm crazy....I just don't trust this administration AT ALL.

It's not just this administration.

And this fear tactic is common. Make a group of people afraid of something or someone and you can pass all kinds of crazy laws.

In fact outside of the gaming world, its been used recently. And soon we in the US will see it put to use.

Fear is a very useful tactic, politicians and the hysterics they rely on for support are quite fond of using it.  I question the timing, targets and motivations of these incidents over the last few months.  Not to mention the amount of coverage they are receiving in the corporate mass media.  "Who benefits" is a good question to ask in many such situations.  As for the US, we are WELL along the path to being a full blown police state. All its going to take is one more major "incident", and the sheepeople will be howling for some Strong Man to "protect" them.

In terms of security, many of these groups have demonstrated that it is a secondary consideration(if that).  Thats also entirely typical of the corporate perspective on such things.  Certainly no one is 100% secure(thats the nature of the complex systems in play), but some haven't even bothered with the fundamentals. Nor it would appear have they employed people with the knowledge/experience to deal with these issues as they evolve in real time.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

I actually hope they take down EA. Worst publisher ever.

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

It seems that hacking is "the thing" that is happening this year. But not just in general but in gaming!

Seems that they are going one by one and door knocking on their servers and gaining access. You hear these hackers say "We do it for the fun" or "We do this to help the gamers" etc etc. But in all honestly, this is just hurting the developers AND the gamers, especially if its a MMO game that you pay monthly.

I think we need some anti-hackers to hack the hackers i think.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

You guys see the amount of publicity hackers got for taking down Sony?  And the amount of dumb people for cheering the hackers on just because some despise Sony?  Yeah, and you wonder why they do it, that's why.   People need to grow up and realize these are criminal activities.  Just because you may not have been affected during a certain hack, doesn't mean eventually something you use won't get hacked and find yourself inconvenienced.

The problem now is that hackers are doing it for fame, they're competing against each others to see who can hack what first.  US Senate websites got hacked, banks & credit card companies get hacked on a regular basis, big companies with more asset than Sony get hacked all the time.  Wise up people, hackers will affect you sooner or later.  So rather than cheer them on just because you dislike a certain company or certain game, start condeming their acts.  When they are no longer the cool kids on the block, that's when they'll lose interest in hacking.

Kind of like when someone posted a well known spammer's address and email awhile back?  Then everybody started mass spamming that guy, sent trash mail to his door, called him over and over, etc..  He started to actually complain about getting all the spam and eventually changed his address and literally had to relocate.  That's how you deal with these people, you fight fire with fire.

And yes, it would be nice to have "good" hackers go against "bad" hackers.  But the one big issue with that is good hackers are bound by laws, because they don't want to break the law while doing something.  Thus they are always, always at a disadvantage.  Plus hackers that help authorities or help the good guys are shun in the scene, so I won't count on too many good hackers to counter the bad hackers.  These people would rather be anarchists than the good guys.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Originally posted by G_Ravenor

I was just having this discussion with a guy at work, whether or not it is an inside job, I can certainly see governments world wide using this to push through new regulations, just like they did with the fear of terrorism

I'm retired from federal service and I gotta say at least in the US it's pretty unlikely.  In fact it's downright laughable..  Something on that scale would mean some part of the bureaucracy will be involved.  At which point the bureaucratic procedures, and the number of people to manage them, would snowball.  It happens in every bill, executive action, action plan, etc initiated in any alphabet agency.

Now of course there are agencies that can keep data internal more or less: Treasury, SS, IRS, DOD, FBI to name a few. But in most of those cases oaths of office, checks on powers, required to adhere to the Constitution etc prevents the stated agencies from doing so without a signed Presidential Order with Supreme Court  ruling and Congressional oversight

As you mentioned the "administration" I'm assuming your referring to the POTUS somehow going "cowboy" and doing this internally?  If so in your opinion, is that group capable and competent enough to implement something of that nature without it getting out?

A  secret is only a secret if only one person knows it.  Add more people THERE WILL BE leaks particularly in this day and age with social media.  But as conspiracy theories go I got a good chuckle out of it, thanks :)

To the topic I believe  the punishment should reflect the monetary, property, and/or personal damage done to the victim or victims in both severity and quality of life.

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

What happend on tuesday was Lulzec having  "TitanicTakedownTuesday" where they DDOS'd alot of stuff, just for the fun of seeing people rage about it. They even took requests, both Eve and LoL were requests. You could call in and tell them what you wanted them to DDOS.

And it's not hacking, it's just flooding the network so much that it crashes/becomes unusable.

Originally posted by Mardy

You guys see the amount of publicity hackers got for taking down Sony?  And the amount of dumb people for cheering the hackers on just because some despise Sony?  Yeah, and you wonder why they do it, that's why.   People need to grow up and realize these are criminal activities.  Just because you may not have been affected during a certain hack, doesn't mean eventually something you use won't get hacked and find yourself inconvenienced.

The problem now is that hackers are doing it for fame, they're competing against each others to see who can hack what first.  US Senate websites got hacked, banks & credit card companies get hacked on a regular basis, big companies with more asset than Sony get hacked all the time.  Wise up people, hackers will affect you sooner or later.  So rather than cheer them on just because you dislike a certain company or certain game, start condeming their acts.  When they are no longer the cool kids on the block, that's when they'll lose interest in hacking.

Kind of like when someone posted a well known spammer's address and email awhile back?  Then everybody started mass spamming that guy, sent trash mail to his door, called him over and over, etc..  He started to actually complain about getting all the spam and eventually changed his address and literally had to relocate.  That's how you deal with these people, you fight fire with fire.

And yes, it would be nice to have "good" hackers go against "bad" hackers.  But the one big issue with that is good hackers are bound by laws, because they don't want to break the law while doing something.  Thus they are always, always at a disadvantage.  Plus hackers that help authorities or help the good guys are shun in the scene, so I won't count on too many good hackers to counter the bad hackers.  These people would rather be anarchists than the good guys.

Interesting perspective... So "good hackers" are law abiding? What about those who work for the various nation state governments? By definition(in the modern age...) *anything* they do is *legal*(because they work for those who get to make and define the laws...).  Counter hacking is in much the same realm as counter insurgency (and we've see how that has expanded, and been abused...). Lets not forget the difference between something being *legal* and something being *ethical*.  

As for your last remark about anarchy... You do realize that anarchy is simply the absence of a coercive state? While it has served the interests of statists to link anarchy with chaos in the public mind, the reality is very different. 

Once more, in terms of these hacking incidents, the question of "who benefits" should be asked.  "Fame" (such as it is...) and such may be one of the motivations of *some* of those involved, but given the timing, targets and the amount of coverage in the corporate mass media, one has to ask other related questions as well.  One of which is; Since these types of incidents have been rather common for years now, why the current mass media focus?

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

hacking CCP is like hacking baby jesus ... you monsters!