Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: E3 2011 Update Report

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

League of Legends developers from Riot Games were on hand during last week's E3 convention to talk about the game, the forthcoming addition of a new champion, the game's new spectator mode and a whole lot more. MMORPG.com writer Richard Cox has a terrific report about what he discovered about League of Legends. Read on!

One of the coolest aspects of how they’re going about it was the fact that the Senior Game Designer is assisting with the design of the spectator mode to make sure it’s as fun of an experience as possible. While in spectator mode, you will see a completely different UI than you would while playing LoL. In the top center of the screen you have a scoreboard that took a great deal of inspiration from scoreboards used in professional sports. When you’re watching a football game, you can glance at the scoreboard and know instantly the standing of the game: what quarter it is, how much time is left, who’s winning, etc. The same holds true with LoL’s scoreboard. You’ll see the score, how many kills each side has, how much gold they’ve gathered, how many objectives they’ve made it through, etc.

Read more of Richard Cox's League of Legends: E3 2011 Update Report.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

Riot so full of fail  outside new champions    they have been saying soon on many things since release and it never comes. 

Well unless you count there nerf to IP system saying it is to give more yet it was a nerf and then after bitching for 2 weeks we got we know it's broken and we are fixing it but they never did since it is work as it was supposed to give less IP and make you buy stuff.  

I will say one thing that have come from them allways saying SOON when we use the SOON on them they get upset and it's funny.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Huh?

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

I used to play League of Legends every day, sometimes even several times a day.

With almost every single new champion costing 6300 I cannot even come close to getting any of them within a month unless I spend plenty of time playing. I used to have a decent amount of champions vs overall champions, but now I still have plenty of champions and fewer 6300 ones.

I current own* 65 champions some of which where bought with RP and also with the Collectors Edition. At the moment I feel like I have plenty of champions, but the new champs that are introduced keep getting better and older champs are fading away.

I play even less now about once every 3 days or so and at this rate I can get a new champion in 75 days yay!! Also I can only get one worth 4800 ip too.

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

i like the game - only the bad performance of the EU servers suck :/

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

Originally posted by freegames

I used to play League of Legends every day, sometimes even several times a day.

With almost every single new champion costing 6300 I cannot even come close to getting any of them within a month unless I spend plenty of time playing. I used to have a decent amount of champions vs overall champions, but now I still have plenty of champions and fewer 6300 ones.

I current own* 65 champions some of which where bought with RP and also with the Collectors Edition. At the moment I feel like I have plenty of champions, but the new champs that are introduced keep getting better and older champs are fading away.

I play even less now about once every 3 days or so and at this rate I can get a new champion in 75 days yay!! Also I can only get one worth 4800 ip too.

Currently I have 10k IP and wait for the next champ. Sure - you cant buy every champ with only 1 game a day. But with 1 victory you gain ~250 IP a day ( 25,2 days for a 6,3k champ). And thats fair enough. With 3-4 games you can get up to 400 IP.

I think its a fair shop system - at the end of the day they want get money for their game, so it is ok that they push champs out so fast.

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Most of the new Champs have been 4800 and it's not hard to get even 6300.  I just depends on how much you win or lose.  And if you buy say, a double IP buff, they come extremely fast.

*shrug*

It's F2P at the end of the day (which I usually hate) but this one is fun dispite an often rude community.

And they do conatantly release champs... I dont' know where the first poster gets off saying they haven't.... *boggle*

• zeluszelus Member UncommonPosts: 9

Lol if you notice that now with the 4800ip champ they dont make 3150 ip champ anymore so by asking for the new price range they basically make it cost more without most ppl realizing it. Yea they do need a way to get money and it comes mostly from ppl willing to by skins and some champions. The ip nerf suck but for players yea but good for riot becuase more ppl will just pay for a new champ rather than grind the ip now which is alot lower in my opinion.

But i have to say the most disappointing thing about LOL is the fact that the community has asked them to add in new content for a long time and it just never seem to get done. Spectator took since beta, the so called map magma chamber has basically become a rumor since nov of last years and the balance on some of the older champ beside the fotm has never been fixed along with some bugs that have been around for the longest time.

So in all i feel that riot is doing an ok job but leaves a lot of material to be finished and as any LOL players know when Riot says "Soon" it almost means give it 6 months and we might put something out.

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

This game is great, i'm not sure why people are disliking the way champions can be gotten. But honestly how many F2P games are this "fair"? I've played more than my fair share of f2p games where the longer you play the more you realize how much you have to spend cash to compete (cough atlantica online cough). 

Anways great game, combined with Starcraft 2 I haven't played an mmo in over a year now. 

I should also add in the 4 months i've been playing the game i've spent 20 bucks on it. I always save points for champions I really want, not just to collect them all. 

• kalanthiskalanthis Member Posts: 111

'Melinda and I'

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Ive been playing League of Legends since early Beta (i even own Limited "King Rammus" skin lol), and im quite satisfied how the game have advanced since then. Well maybe they didnt keep up to "all" of their promisses (im waiting graphical update like crazy now :O), but game is fun as hell so i dont really care that much. And it is the only "true" F2P that i can think of atm. though its not even an MMO.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

Spectator mode ftw, now I don't have to watch livestreams and listen to them anymore (I don't mind guardsmanbob though).

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

• jdram14jdram14 Member Posts: 36
    Riot Games ought to take a lesson from ArenaNet. ANet kept on adding too many new skills to Guild Wars and found the huge number to be too encumbersome for balance and maintanance. I hope Riot Games freshens up old champs as they continue to release new ones, and maybe release them at a slower pace.

I also would really like to see new modes of play, alog with new maps. It still blows my mind that LoL is such a successful game when it actually does very little in terms of gameplay variety (champs aside).
  • CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

I really dislike Riot; balance is terrible in this game and I also have more complaints but thats not contributing much to this thread.

"no one would want to play a regular old scorpion."

You insult the legacy of the great Sand King Crixalis good sir. Riot made the gayest scorpion giving it hands and flashy with purple/pink IMO. Now are they also including replays in this big update yet or not? Can't really be very competitive without replays eh?

On another note, if MMORPG wills start to list MOBA style games why is there no Heroes of Newerth or the other 2 new additions Rise of immortals and the third who's name escapes me.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by scotty899

{mod edit}

You're spewing garbage out of your mouth. The fact that I'm responding to you is comical but w/e I can't sleep.  I said I don't like Riot but I enjoy LoL greatly! I play both frequently. I have my idea of which is better but anyone who has played two MMO's at one point will also have their idea which one is better but doesn't mean its boring. I think its unbalanced because of several heroes with their resource mechanics like the ninjas  (keep prodding me for why I think it's unbalanced.)

Where the hell did I mention denying? It has its pros and cons and I think the cons outweigh the pros but w/e its more skill based which I enjoy. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Idk what you guys talk about.... really. Its hardly imbalanced. My two main champions are Katarina and Evelynn. Katarina for ex. is very old champion. I admit, there was a time when she was OP, but that was short-lived. Then came peroid when Riot redone her almost to the point she was useless champion. However, she passed trough another revision couple of months ago, and now is neither overpowered nor useless. Mediocre champ in its best.

Despite that, with very good team which knows what is doing, i can have 20:5 score for ex. and i sometimes get complaints from oposite team like "OMG Kat OP blahblahblah". On the other hand, with awfull team sometimes i have 5:15, so it doesnt mean anything.

Botom line: if player dont know how to play, each oposite champion can become OP, and thats the part of the story where imbalance comes.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

you are totally right DZONI87. it is all team based and player skills. HON is rubbish, only good thing about that game was the comentator. the game itself..meh not a fan. prolly would have liked it if i played that after DOTA, instead of LOL. i treid bloodline champions beta..was fun for a bit.

• thething2thething2 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Is it just me or do them pictures look better then the ingame grahpics Particle effects better shadows smoother models etc? :S

• IfcwhuffesIfcwhuffes Member UncommonPosts: 35

Ive been playin LoL since the near start of its beta. Im about to hit the 3k matches played mark(Dunno if thats good thing >.>). But it boggles my mind that ppl actually speak this nonsense of "LoL is unbalanced". LoL is by far one of the most balanced games ive played. The only unbalanceness ive seen is when they release a new champ.. which  is understandable. Only a small amount of players test out the new champ and most of them probably enjoyed being OP for a while. Or the new champ comes out and they're a total flop (Im looking at you Udyr). Riot is usually pretty handy in the time it takes for them to revise the champ though.

Ive found that Most ppl complaining that "OMFG!!121!! that champ is OP!! this game is unbalanced!@!@! QQ" usually falls under 3 catagories:

1. They suck and constantly feed the other team, and end up with scores like 1-15-2

2. Fail to work with their team and get steam rolled by the other team with that "op" champ.

3. or are actually correct and that champ is too powerful (i'd say like 5-10% of the ppl i see fall under number 3)

Altough i do agree that riot hasnt kept up to date about the stuff they've promised(like game modes or new maps), and its very disappointing.... But at the same time the game is very polished and Every match you play is unique, which i find very enjoyable. Community is a little harsh but that usually comes with a very competitive game, and is to be expected. 

Overall im pleased with riot giving us a polished and balanced game.

Currently Playing: LoL,EVE, Rift

Future Games: WH40K:DM, Tera Planetside2

Past Games Ive tried:
    WoW, FE, AoC, WAR, LotRO, Tabula Rasa,GW, and Many F2P games.

• vxcrissvxcriss Member Posts: 3

LoL is pretty much lol... I played a lot of it back when it came out but gave it up a long time ago. The game made very little progress in 2 years since it's been out, basically it started out with 1 map, and now it has 2... the only thing Riot is doing is making new heroes every few weeks in order to sell them and make money off them. Because they keep making new heroes all the time, the game balance is messed up beyond repair.

The amount of noobs in the game is staggering and sadly since the only thing to look for in this game is improving your personal rankings, the noobs you get matched with in random games ruin that for you.

But the lamest thing of all is the lack of developer interest, and on top of that, the lies they keep spitting out. They have made tons of promises on features they never got delivered, ever since the launch. NOTHING has been implemented, and guess what... NOTHING will ever be implemented because their only interest is to keep making heroes and selling them for the big $$. Riot is a shitty company, it's been proven, so for all of you guys still playing LoL and hoping that those promises will come to life... let it go, this dream will never come true... it's been 2 years now and NOTHING happened aside from 40 extra heroes.

vxcriss.com

• smoke42069smoke42069 Member Posts: 17

{mod edit} If Riot listened to thier community they would be working on new maps and game mode's, not releasing new champs every 2 weeks. There server's are unstable, thier security is being breached, and most of there player base are complete douche's. They claim to have loss forgivness, but it is rarely initiated at the time it of instability. Only after people flood thier forums with complaints does it get turned on. I have played LoL since it has released and play more than 5 games a day. I have stilll yet to unlock all of the champs. I have about 40 leaves and it's mostly because of thier instability on patch day. Yet i get suspended for 6 days because of some stupid summoners code. If they think I or other people will continue feeding them cash for RP they are sadly mistaken. Riot needs to listen to thier community and hire people who actually know wth they are doing. I cant help but wonder where the hell my and other customers money is going.{mod edit}

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

You guys hear LoL got hacked???

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Do you still have to pay real cash to buy the new champions? That's the whole reason I've been avoiding this game. Everypony I've talked to on vent who plays it says it's awesome and addicting. Then they mention the whole "Buying champions" things. Makes little sense to me..

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

I like this game.. Yes... but curious.. Why is this on MMORPG, and not RTSGURU?

only thing to consider it RPG is the lore descriptions, and monthly letter of 'story'.

Gameplay is RTS/hero (dota clone)... Yes has a lot of people, no is not a RPG, even if you have character levels and talents, it does not make it that (IMO). Plenty of FPS's have levels/perks, and some have lil talent thing, and do not consider to be MMO, or maybe they should... Get more review critics and popularity. **sigh... Shrug*

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

Do you still have to pay real cash to buy the new champions? That's the whole reason I've been avoiding this game. Everypony I've talked to on vent who plays it says it's awesome and addicting. Then they mention the whole "Buying champions" things. Makes little sense to me..

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

There are two ways to buy champions Riot points (which are the real money currency) or Influence points (which are earned through playing matches).  You earn between 100-200 for a win and 50-80 for a loss.  Champions vary in price from 450 Influence points to 6300 but most come in at 6300 or 4800, Riot pushes up the price brackets to encourage people to buy RP.

There are runes which give you small skill boosts and you can have up to 33 of these equipped but they are ONLY available for Influence points.  Alternate appearances for champions are Riot points only, as are name changes etc, but if something can give you an IN game advantage, its avaiable for Influence points or even only for IP. 

The game is actually pretty well balanced, some champions are powerful vs other ones, and new champions seem to be very powerful most of the time and get a nerf, but part of that is that people often dont know how to play against them.