Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: June Producer's Letter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Final Fantasy XIV Producer's Letter has been posted on the official forums. What makes it all the more interesting is the inclusion of a video spotlighting some of the features that are currently under development. Visuals are always good to get the point across.

I’ll release all the juicy particulars closer to the release date, but for now here’s a rough sketch of the changes that are in the pipes, organized into bullet points.

• Auto-attack functionality will be prioritized in 1.18.

• Attack motion diversification and fine-tuning are planned for 1.19.

• Battle classes only will receive auto-attack.

• The stamina gauge will be abolished with the introduction of auto-attack.

• Recast timers will be adjusted for certain actions obtained via quests and guild marks whose action costs were managed solely through the stamina gauge.

• Certain actions dependent on the stamina gauge will have their effects adjusted.

• Characters will be made able to switch between passive and active modes while moving.

• Multiple attacks during auto-attack is also being planned for the future.

Read more and check out the trailer on the Final Fantasy XIV forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RanokRanok Member Posts: 23

It's going to be a nice update!  Just look at the 2 new updated weaponskill animations.  Can't wait to see what marauders and pugilists look like too.  Good riddance to the stanima bar and /welcome auto attack!

• ElooraEloora Member UncommonPosts: 3

I often find myself wishing for a slower paced, more thoughtful combat experience in online games, but that....just seems ridiculous to me. It's nice that development is continuing at a steady pace for the game, though.

• Manic.MinerManic.Miner Member Posts: 44

They should back to turn mode (this is final fantasy yes ?)  not make FFIX like every mmo with spaming keys to use skills. R.I.P FFIX.

Turn based mmo? No thanks :x  Idk about your FFIX comment.  Do you mean FFXI?

• smoke42069smoke42069 Member Posts: 17

I agree with franko. Turn based battles is what defined the series. Just because its an mmo they should make it like everything else? F*ck No! Go back to your roots, and maybe you will get a game worth playing.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by smoke42069

I agree with franko. Turn based battles is what defined the series. Just because its an mmo they should make it like everything else? F*ck No! Go back to your roots, and maybe you will get a game worth playing.

Well, did you play XI? It was often called turnbased (before Skillchains's became incidental rather than necessary). It was auto-attacking, sitting on TP til your SC partner or partners were ready then you'd do your special, they'd do theirs, and maybe a third followed by blm/rdm nuking for bonus damage.

It looks so pretty, though I feel like I have to acknowledge that it's taking UI cues from WoW (since I hate on wow-clones so much).

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• libranimlibranim Member Posts: 139

If an FF mmo with Atlantica like combat (turn-based) came out... I would jizz myself.

But again, FF tries to diversify and new combat mechanics, however the 'fans' receive them, is never a bad thing. 

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Quite frankly I barely see the difference to how it currently is. The combat still looks as painfully boring as before and I've personally never cared much for auto-attack. If they wanted slow paced combat then they should've gone full-on turn-based because at least that has more appeal than this.

Originally posted by Master10K

Quite frankly I barely see the difference to how it currently is. The combat still looks as painfully boring as before and I've personally never cared much for auto-attack. If they wanted slow paced combat then they should've gone full-on turn-based because at least that has more appeal than this.

"Why'd you wipe?"

"It got to the monk's turn and apparently he had to drop the kids off at the pool."

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

you do realize like 90% of the MMOs out there use auto attack right? everything from EQ to WOW to the new star wars MMO. In some shape or form its out there, they are just taking their crappy button mash system and turning it into the industry standard.

Originally posted by zanfire

you do realize like 90% of the MMOs out there use auto attack right? everything from EQ to WOW to the new star wars MMO. In some shape or form its out there, they are just taking their crappy button mash system and turning it into the industry standard.

^ was gonna say this. Can you imagine some classes in WoW, RIFT, AION, FFXI, or so many others at low levels? The flipside is so many abilities just for the sake of having something to press. Auto-attack is not a bad thing. Building a game around it... that's not for some people.

I love FFXI, as it says to the left , but I'd admit when I played the first few levels and waited for my little monk to hit a forest rabit, I thought "This is the dumbest thing ever" and then I learned my first weapon skill, got Martial Arts I and started swinging faster, and got a bunch of hp which was kind of neat.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Being a huge fan of Monk in XI (Asuran Fists ftw!), I was kinda bummed to see them basically re-using an animation for the Pugilist's new attack.

I mean, the article does say "in development", but I have to assume they're showing the final animation. Why bother showing it if isn't?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

The game feels bland still I bet.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203
    I wish ffxiv had a turn based meaningful combat system. One where you and your group really have to think about what you're doing and how to work your abiltys together to get the most out of your powers. It seems like it is going into a direction of combat mindless and over used : (
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

With such beautiful battle animations, why does it have to be so boring :(

• HaradeasHaradeas Member UncommonPosts: 252

The turnbased aspect is what made FF so famous in the first place. It hurts my heart to see people have no clue about the history of the FF games ( or games in general )

This is a step forward for xiv.  Instead of spamming button 1 and button 2 for light thrust and heavy thrust the system can go ahead and thrust for me.  Now I can focus more on my abilities and typing if I have to instead of button spamming.  I welcome auto attack with open arms!

IMO turn based does not belond in an MMORPG.  Especially a FF mmorpg.  Why?  Because I never would have played XI for 7 years if it was true turn base.  Real time is much for exciting and makes more sense for an MMORPG.  

P.S  So excited for SE implementing a real job system this summer.  XIV dragoon here I come :) 

Originally posted by JthX

I wish ffxiv had a turn based meaningful combat system. One where you and your group really have to think about what you're doing and how to work your abiltys together to get the most out of your powers. It seems like it is going into a direction of combat mindless and over used : (

XI, at least, did. Skill chains used to really matter. Players used to know at least their best skillchains and some players knew every skillchain they could make.

Everything listed in this chart is a weapon skill that classes can use based, mostly, on the weapon type they have equipped and the combat skill in it. Nobody could skillchain with themselves, except Samurai if they built up enough TP and had the right ability ready(weapon skills' resource).

The downside is that the game was too much about auto-attacking for some people. The answer to this would be to add some abilities, with shorter cooldowns, to build tp as well.

I only bring all this up because SE has the answers in-house. Many players do want XI 2.0.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Let me know if they ever completely wipe and relaunch. I won't play a game that absolutely failed for the first 9 months only to be looked down upon by the community for not playing a shitty game.

I'll play if there's a relaunch, otherwise yeah. Letting this one go. I won't be heartbroken either way.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by smoke42069

well for one thing seeing the video it looks as if they are following in the old outdated korean model of "every single battle no matter how small or insignificant the creature should be epic" and to me thats a BIG no thanks. There does come a time in the game when you should be able to, with work on your characters stats, kill mobs with ease and keep the battle from lasting entirely too long by doing enough damage to the enemies that they die very quickly. No thanks.

Originally posted by itgrowls

well for one thing seeing the video it looks as if they are following in the old outdated korean model of "every single battle no matter how small or insignificant the creature should be epic" and to me thats a BIG no thanks. There does come a time in the game when you should be able to, with work on your characters stats, kill mobs with ease and keep the battle from lasting entirely too long by doing enough damage to the enemies that they die very quickly. No thanks.

Some Americans like that type of play.

I'm one, at least while in groups.

Getting great experience, having a fun conversation, getting dangerous links and managing to pull it off is epic good fun.

I have plenty of memorable experiences from FFXI of pulling off 'impossible' feats because the puller pulled wrong and the window just fills with the auto-translate phrase {Impossible to guage} {main} {Provoke} and great groups ending with {See you again!} {everyone} {please}

• CraioCraio Member Posts: 24

I just cycle between two offensives so i don't really see what auto-attack will add.

Are they ever going to change/speed up the UI? Having to confirm nearly everything and waiting more then actually using it is kinda annoying...

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203
    Actually, now that I took another look. It's not what I thought it was. Looks great still, and, looks like they are somewhat still sticking to their roots. I'm excited for all these great changes