Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wouldn't Star Wars the New Republic be better?

Like many i'm looking forward to a Star Wars mmo. However I would have so much preferred the New Republic Universe. The Old Republic simply reminds me of the Turkey Film franchise that many of us Star Wars fans were so disappointed at. I just hope to god Jar Jar binks doesn't make an appearance.

A universe including Luke Skywalker , Princess Leia, Han Solo, Bobba Fett, Stormtroopers, The Milenium Falcon , Snowspeeders, X-Wing, Death Star, Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, Darth Vader, Hoth Battles with At-Ats. This all seems so much more appealing than the universe we are being presented with now. Just my tuppence worth.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

True enough... but SW:TOR is a derivative of the Kotor games, it has virtually nothing in common with any of the films.. it all pre-dates even the 'earliest' of the films by hundreds of years or something..  convenient i guess.. means they can create their own lore and not use any of the starwars lore.. or at least.. not be forced into using it... the downside.. is that if it wasnt for the name of the planets (some of them) and the fact it has jedi in it.. you wouldnt know it was related to star wars at all..

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

No please. Leave the existing stories in peace and let's experience some new ones and make our own as far as the game allows us to.

Lotro offers that experience and has all the main characters from the books giving you stuff to do related to the books and it always kind of felt artificial to me.

It also restricts the narrative, artwork, lore and everything to be 'just like in the movies'.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

If you want to play games liek that then play the hundreds of games that are already out that are based on the movie. This game is not suppose to be like the movies except for the concept. 

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

what youre talking about is EU storylines.

the problem there is, unless youre hardcore, you have no effing idea who Jacen and Jaina are.

and the storyline would basically revolve around them.

also, the empire is more about military might than the dark side of the force after ROTJ

finally, youd have to indroduce the neutral or "grey" side of the force as well.

really, the whole thing would be a mess from a game design standpoint.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by DarkPony

No please. Leave the existing stories in peace and let's experience some new ones and make our own as far as the game allows us to.

Lotro offers that experience and has all the main characters from the books giving you stuff to do related to the books and it always kind of felt artificial to me.

It also restricts the narrative, artwork, lore and everything to be 'just like in the movies'.

i would have thought it would be truer to say that rather than rehashing the stories we are already familiar with (just about everyone has read tolkiens epics after all) it is the 'experience' of being in that 'world' that players enjoy,  the same with Starwars.. players didnt want to be luke.. or darth vader (though too many want to be darth maul imo....) .. but they did want to be 'there' image

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Though I liked Lord of the Rings Online (though I could only handle one play through), I agree. I'd rather continue what seems to be a very intriguing story in KOTOR (i'm about 60% through) :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

Like many i'm looking forward to a Star Wars mmo. However I would have so much preferred the New Republic Universe. The Old Republic simply reminds me of the Turkey Film franchise that many of us Star Wars fans were so disappointed at. I just hope to god Jar Jar binks doesn't make an appearance.

A universe including Luke Skywalker , Princess Leia, Han Solo, Bobba Fett, Stormtroopers, The Milenium Falcon , Snowspeeders, X-Wing, Death Star, Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, Darth Vader, Hoth Battles with At-Ats. This all seems so much more appealing than the universe we are being presented with now. Just my tuppence worth.

ehm.... just got to Star Wars Galaxies... thats exactly the game you want...

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by blutm8

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

ehm.... just got to Star Wars Galaxies... thats exactly the game you want...

No one wants to play that train wreck anymore. Put out some Pre-cu servers and I will though. :)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Phry

i would have thought it would be truer to say that rather than rehashing the stories we are already familiar with (just about everyone has read tolkiens epics after all) it is the 'experience' of being in that 'world' that players enjoy,  the same with Starwars.. players didnt want to be luke.. or darth vader (though too many want to be darth maul imo....) .. but they did want to be 'there' image

I have to agree with DarkPony here.  If they did go with a timeline right after "Return of the Jedi" then we would see a lot of the characters from the movie that would give us quests and advice and all sorts of stuff.  Heck, Luke Skywalker would probably be the mentor we all learned from at some point and instead of making it feel like "My Story" it would end up feeling like a continuation of the movies.  As good as the original movies are, I personally don't want that.

I'm more than happy going with a "world" bathed in the lore and feel of Star Wars, but where I can make decisions and choices for me.  There is one way I could see it working though, if the game was set about 200 years AFTER the movies.  That might be interesting. 

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Agreed. Another SW game already tired this TWICE and failed miserably both times. When you try to use a game setting with a set story line and a pre-existing set of heroes to entertain thousands (or more) simultanious players, all wanting to be heores themselves, you are doomed to failure. It either makes a complete mockery of the beloved source material (E.G. thousands of Jedi running around when there were only supposed to be three left) or worse, leaves the players feeling superfluous and unimportant. LOTRO is an excellent example. It is not very ego boosting to have one of the great legendary heroes of Middle Earth like Strider, tell you "Well we're off to save the world, if you want to pitch in, do me a favor and go save Filbert's snotty hanky from some brigands."

It is far better to set the game during a time of sketchy or unrecorded history. That gives the game makers and your character the freedom to tell your own story rather than just hang on the coat tails of someone else's.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

So why exactly are there people in this thread talking about the movies when the OP specifically said “The New Republic” in his post?  Since the New Republic did not start until a few years after Return of the Jedi, talking about a new Hope, Empire Strikes back, and Return of the Jedi is pointless. So is the star Wars galaxy comments since that take places during a new hope! But please don’t let me stop you people from making useless posts that having nothing to do with the OP!

As for what the OP said, I agree I would love to see some RPGs set around the time of the Jedi academy trilogy. I think that would be a very interesting time to see in the Star Wars universe, the Empire is getting push backed and the Jedi are just starting to be reintroduced to the galaxy. I would just hope that they would not make the game based on the holy trinity, turning a Jedi into a tank or healer is pure stupidity. Force users are so much more than that, and to see them diminished in that regard at least to me is pathetic.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I don't know.  Maybe.  But there is SO much stuff after the movies in the books.  And I'm sure LucasArts would want them to conform to ALL the books, which would just be crazy.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

So why exactly are there people in this thread talking about the movies when the OP specifically said “The New Republic” in his post?  Since the New Republic did not start until a few years after Return of the Jedi, talking about a new Hope, Empire Strikes back, and Return of the Jedi is pointless. So is the star Wars galaxy comments since that take places during a new hope! But please don’t let me stop you people from making useless posts that having nothing to do with the OP!

As for what the OP said, I agree I would love to see some RPGs set around the time of the Jedi academy trilogy. I think that would be a very interesting time to see in the Star Wars universe, the Empire is getting push backed and the Jedi are just starting to be reintroduced to the galaxy. I would just hope that they would not make the game based on the holy trinity, turning a Jedi into a tank or healer is pure stupidity. Force users are so much more than that, and to see them diminished in that regard at least to me is pathetic.

Because the New Republic is still set way to close to the films to devorce itself from them. And those of us who have read the novels set in that era already know the story same as in the films. So our examples still stand. Monkeying around in territory already covered by another story teller (in this case tellers) is a bad idea. The Old Republic is virgin territory.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

So why exactly are there people in this thread talking about the movies?

Not entirely sure, Slaphappy, but it could have been this bit:

"A universe including Luke Skywalker , Princess Leia, Han Solo, Bobba Fett, Stormtroopers, The Milenium Falcon , Snowspeeders, X-Wing, Death Star, Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, Darth Vader, Hoth Battles with At-Ats."

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Seriously there would not be much difference. SWTOR still have Bobba Fett - Bounty hunter, Trooper,  Han Solo -Smuggler  with Millenium Falcon, R2-D2, Emperor and Darth Vader.   It seems kinda sad, SW seems to lost its innovation after 3200 years  :( .

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Simply wouldnt be possible.

The EU is swamped with books comics and a myriad of other crap coming right after the movies there is no real timeline to play with and it would end up another SWG with it intefering with every bit of cannon imaginable.

SW geeks (myself included) are a fickle bunch and we dont like to see contradictions in cannon hence Force Unleashed going down like a lead balloon with Star Wars fans.

The Old Republic is a relativley untouched timeline aside KOTOR itself so the scope and freedom is massive making for in my opinion a far better game.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Phry

True enough... but SW:TOR is a derivative of the Kotor games, it has virtually nothing in common with any of the films.. it all pre-dates even the 'earliest' of the films by hundreds of years or something..  convenient i guess.. means they can create their own lore and not use any of the starwars lore.. or at least.. not be forced into using it... the downside.. is that if it wasnt for the name of the planets (some of them) and the fact it has jedi in it.. you wouldnt know it was related to star wars at all..

4000 years actually.

And this game is a sequel to KOTOR, so yes it very much is Star Wars.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The Original Trilogy timeline doesn't support video games very well.

Because LucasArts believes that everyone wants to be a Jedi or a Boba Fett.

Knights of the Old Republic was a timeline created to specifically allow everyone to have the ability to do that.

It was a timeline made up so there could be a million Sith / Jedi / Boba Fetts and have the story support it.

KOTOR was created to be a Star Wars "video game friendly timeline"

Me? I'd rather have the original trilogy and not be a giant walking cliche.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Knights of the Old Republic was a timeline created to specifically allow everyone to have the ability to do that.

It was a timeline made up so there could be a million Sith / Jedi / Boba Fetts and have the story support it.

? Me thinks you should polish up your SW Expanded Universe knowledge.

KOTOR 1, 2 and SWTOR all take place in the same timeline as the movies, not some parallel SW universe with an alternate timeline.

It's just that they took place at an earlier location on that timeline, an earlier timperiod namely 3700-4000 years before the movie era.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Erstok

[mod edit]

LOL Bitter much?

To be honest if you thought the jedi grind in SWG required 'Hard Work, and Dedication' your in serious need of an education in real life work.

All it was, was a time investment. It wasn't exactly hard to join a group and hunt Bols and Pickets, or even further back, grind professions. Same principle applied.

Pfft. Dedication and hardwork playing a computer game. Kid's these days.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Maverz290

Originally posted by Erstok

[mod edit]

LOL Bitter much?

To be honest if you thought the jedi grind in SWG required 'Hard Work, and Dedication' your in serious need of an education in real life work.

All it was, was a time investment. It wasn't exactly hard to join a group and hunt Bols and Pickets, or even further back, grind professions. Same principle applied.

Pfft. Dedication and hardwork playing a computer game. Kid's these days.

Ya really, I didnt realise that pressing some buttons and playing a game before other people counted as work.

click

click

click move click click move click click move, ya! im dedicated and working hard! grind in SWG was so pathetically easy, anyone could have made jedi, all that was required was time.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

I actually prefer the KOTOR setting as opposed to the idea of seeing Hayden Christensen in my star wars mmo...because the sand people...he would slaughter them...like animals....

boooooo.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

KOTOR 1, 2 and SWTOR all take place in the same timeline as the movies, not some parallel SW universe with an alternate timeline.

It's just that they took place at an earlier location on that timeline, an earlier timperiod namely 3700-4000 years before the movie era.

I never understood lucas with his huge timeline obsession...like why does it have to be gazzillion years before the empire and not simply 100-200 years before...I mean the planet cultures, the weapons, the ships all look almost the same so why that ridiculous time gap...just bugs my mind

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Pigozz

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I never understood lucas with his huge timeline obsession...like why does it have to be gazzillion years before the empire and not simply 100-200 years before...I mean the planet cultures, the weapons, the ships all look almost the same so why that ridiculous time gap...just bugs my mind

Just a guess here, but it might have something to do with the fact that any changes made to the "Lore" here in this game can easily be erased by a few thousand years if it doesn't work well with something that happens later.  Even the hardest "Lore" nerds will make mistakes on some obscure fact of trivia that SOMEONE will pounce on later to cry, "THIS IS NOT MY STAR WARS!".  Heck it is already being done by the people who refuse to see ALL of the material surrounding Star Wars as part of the "Lore" and instead only look at the original trilogy as the "True" Star Wars.  With several thousand years between the game and the movies though, they can at least come back and say that "information can be corrupted and how we view history can change over such a long time".

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

To be honest I would prefer a setting in the New Republic era, simply because it is something I am far more familiar with. That doesn't make it a better idea though, as there would have to be overlap of things we already know. That doesn't exactly mean nothing original could come from it though as others seem to be suggesting.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson