Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

with GW2 coming, GW worth buying?

angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Hey,

I think my tour of WoW is done. I've been looking forward to GW2 but with no release date I need to find a change of pace now. Is GW worth buying the box/expansions even with GW2 somewhat around the corner? I can afford it without any problems but I don't like to waste money lol.

I would say I could probably play all weekend and 2 hours a weeknight (at best, doesn't mean I will).

I am trying the trial at the moment, and I have some concerns but so far I am liking it and if it is worth it I'd buy to play.

Let me know what you think please :)

Thanks,

Comments

• Dev_NightsDev_Nights Member Posts: 67

I personally suggest you go for it. Seeing as we don't know when GW2 will come out, I think GW1 is a good game to play for several reasons.

First and foremost is HoM. This area stores accomplishments like completing campaigns etc and unlocks special prizes for gw2 depending on what you have done.  Check Here for what you have done/left to do and things you have unlocked.

Secondly is the Lore. Lots of the lore from GW2 can be traced back to GW1 and if you are into that thing then it is quite cool.

Third is buy once, play forever. So if you get bored of GW2 or want to unlock something for GW2 you can return and unlock it.

Fourth is that, it is soloable and fun. You can use heros/henchmen to help you complete the game so after GW2 comes out you can still complete the games and it is a fun game.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

There is a big reason that GW is worth buying, assuming you like it enough to keep playing after the trial.  The hall of monuments allows for GW achievements to carry over to giving a reward in GW2.  These rewards are mostly cosmetic in nature.  However, long-time fans of the game will note the inclusion of popular items like Fiery Dragon Sword or Fellblade.  You also will be able to aquire the armor skins that appeared on the GW1 box art.

Another big reason GW1 is worth it is on its own merits as a game, with its story and combat mechanics really laying the foundation for the GW2 that is over the horizon of the figurative tomorrow.

lastly, Anet has NO intention of letting GW die after GW2 is released.  The game has had a number of completely free story updates and the updates will continue into the future.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Thanks! I see it is the game and 2 exp packs which can be bought in Trilogy in game shop. I suppose you can't go wrong with that at 29.99USD.

The HoM I don't see myself getting much since I just started to learn GW hehe. There was Eye of the North which I couldn't buy for some reason. It looked like that was an upgrade to something? Not sure about that one.

• Dev_NightsDev_Nights Member Posts: 67

EotN is the only true expansion to GW. Factions, Nightfall and Prophecies are 3 joined games that can be played independently. EotN requires you to already have one of the 3 main campaigns bought, and then you can buy EotN. I suggest you look at the three different campaigns for an idea of which you actually want to play as they are all slightly different, then again you might already have your mind set on one of the campaigns.

I suggest you complete one of the three main campaigns before playing EotN as it is much harder than the other games.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Personally Eotn is my favourite part of the game, and it is the most connected to gw2 because you'll meet all races except sylvari and learn about them, find with them, learn their lore etc. Also from graphical aspect, eotn is the most beautiful part of gw imho. It would be a tragedy not to buy it if you have the trilogy.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

HoM is the less important!!! The game is good, buy prophecies and play it. If you like it you can buy more expansions. If you dont, gw2 will be very different, wait for it ;)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I think it'd be worth it.  There's no subscription and I saw them selling old copies of GW with all the exansions for only $15... $15 dollars for 3 games is pretty good imho.  I still pop into GW all the time when I get bored with other games.  I'm pretty bad about game hopping.  And with no subscription, GW will always be installed on all my computers as long as Arena Net has servers up.  Probably even after that, I have a feeling GW will be like Neverwinter Nights.  After Arena Net pulls the plug (probably WAY down the road), there will always be player run servers. :)

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Gravarg

I think it'd be worth it.  There's no subscription and I saw them selling old copies of GW with all the exansions for only $15... $15 dollars for 3 games is pretty good imho.  I still pop into GW all the time when I get bored with other games.  I'm pretty bad about game hopping.  And with no subscription, GW will always be installed on all my computers as long as Arena Net has servers up.  Probably even after that, I have a feeling GW will be like Neverwinter Nights.  After Arena Net pulls the plug (probably WAY down the road), there will always be player run servers. :)

You get the trilogy for 30 bucks. You really can't. 3 Campaigns with tons of content, classes etc, no subs, for 30 bucks. If you're even remotely interested in the title, it will end up worth it.

I just got back into it with a buddy that's never really played an MMO (old MUD buddy) and he's hooked. If you plan on playing in GW2 then there are achievements you can get that will carry over to your GW2 char if you need that sense of 'purpoes'.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by angerbeaver

Thanks! I see it is the game and 2 exp packs which can be bought in Trilogy in game shop. I suppose you can't go wrong with that at 29.99USD.

The HoM I don't see myself getting much since I just started to learn GW hehe. There was Eye of the North which I couldn't buy for some reason. It looked like that was an upgrade to something? Not sure about that one.

If you need help from me or anyone else with going through the campaign just leave your character's name here. I have been looking for someone to play through GW again. :p

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

GW 2 doesnt have a release date yet wich means it still has a long way to do before we can play it. Buy GW is a good game and you will have hours of fun.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by mazut

HoM is the less important!!! The game is good, buy prophecies and play it. If you like it you can buy more expansions. If you dont, gw2 will be very different, wait for it ;)

I wouldnt recomend starting with prophesies, go with nightfall, coz its shorter, u will have earlier access to heroes ( u get to own them, set them skills, and give weapons, so they are way better then henchman), u will be able to go faster to eotn and other parts of the world and it had a better story ( this is my opinion)